Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Insurrectionist posted:

it feels bizarre to have a thread for a Bethesda game that's a bit over half a year old have a literal week between posts lol

Once it had been a few months since I played Starfield I would find myself sort of idly wondering when they'd ever make a new Bethesda RPG and I'd come to this surprised reaction of "Oh, no, I JUST played one".

I'm not kidding, I' would be looking at Next Gen Witcher 3, The FF7 remake, and Cyberpunk 2.0 and I'd be wondering what to play next and I'd think "it's a shame Bethesda hasn't released a new game in years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm not confident they'll make that shift since Starfield was such a massive investment of time for them. They'd need leadership with the sense to avoid sunk cost fallacy and also to realize what people like about their games.

pretty sure it was the director's executive decision that made them shift away from the daggerfall style to morrowind. They were pilloried back then for naming the game morrowind but only having vvardenfell in it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Maybe they're pausing the monthly patch releases to focus on the Fallout TV show & HD patch for F4.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

isndl posted:

The Creation Kit was supposed to be released in "early 2024" and we're two weeks out from May. :smith:
also there is still no word on DLC, right

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
SEC says bethesda/microsoft fiscal year ends in June so the question is are they going to try to juice this fiscal year or next with the dlc and creation kit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No word on the DLC but that absolutely, legally has to come out even if it's a skin pack

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maybe they're taking their time to try to address or at least avoid some of the issues people have had with the base game.

Or they're taking their time and it will address none of the issues with the base game, but includes some new PoIs for the snake church faction. And if we're very lucky there will be some wild new feature you'd never thought of and didn't want, like pets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they're taking their time to try to address or at least avoid some of the issues people have had with the base game.

Or they're taking their time and it will address none of the issues with the base game, but includes some new PoIs for the snake church faction. And if we're very lucky there will be some wild new feature you'd never thought of and didn't want, like pets.

This is Bethesda we're talking about. At best they're going to add an NPC that runs up to you when you land on the moon the first time to tell you how exciting it is to be on the moon

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What did they end up doing for Andromeda because I think one of the dlcs became "poochy died on the way back to his home planet"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Added new post MSQ content (Non Unity)

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

This was the realization and reaction "they" (different company really) had in-between Daggerfall and Morrowind and it was a landmark change in their games. We'll see if the BGS of today has something similar happen.

I don't think Todd Howard thinks like a normal human or understands what gamers want anymore, or that the other people in charge of Starfield understand fun and how to manage game development. But, there's a new boss over Todd Howard right?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

moist turtleneck posted:

What did they end up doing for Andromeda because I think one of the dlcs became "poochy died on the way back to his home planet"

Google is telling me Andromeda's DLC was cancelled

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I don't think Todd Howard thinks like a normal human or understands what gamers want anymore, or that the other people in charge of Starfield understand fun and how to manage game development. But, there's a new boss over Todd Howard right?

Yeah, they're at least semi-answerable to someone that can try to make changes, and I wouldn't say that Bethesda never learns lessons or improves. I wouldn't go so far as to be hopeful, but there's a real possibility the next game is safe and competent retread, if not inspiring. A Force Awakens of Elder Scrolls.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, they're at least semi-answerable to someone that can try to make changes, and I wouldn't say that Bethesda never learns lessons or improves. I wouldn't go so far as to be hopeful, but there's a real possibility the next game is safe and competent retread, if not inspiring. A Force Awakens of Elder Scrolls.

I would take it in a heartbeat. Just give me something as competent or fun as Oblivion. Oblivion is a game my father put 200 hours into ( only took me 100 but he's old ), but that to this day we talk about or remember fondly. He spent the entire game with Martin by his side, putting off the main quest to do everything else and just have his super high-level Martin kill stuff while he sat back and summoned elementals to also do his work for him. I don't think there's much conversation to carry on about Starfield other than stuff that's based on criticism, curious speculation, or hate/jest. I mean, can I even name the companions and basic features about them?

- Guy with a cowboy hat, ex-wife, and daughter. White, tan, and bearded. He takes you to the New Vegas post-apocalyptic settlement on a Western planet.
- Guy with some sense of humor and a dead husband. Black, has a beard.
- Girl who is part of the snake cult and didn't recognize that I took the snake cult background at character creation. She has a foreign accent and is a generic black-haired woman.
- Girl who is blond and has dead eyes and, uh, something about leaving people to die in the military or something. Oh, she said she doesn't judge but is a total judgmental bitch because while I may steal at least no one has been left to die because of me.
- Robot with no additional content, right? It looked like a robot and had no unique features so I can't remember it at all, unlike something cool like the robot from Moon.

I had to cheat and go with physical descriptions.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I saw that fallout 76 had 20000 more players than starfield and had a good chuckle

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

This is Bethesda we're talking about. At best they're going to add an NPC that runs up to you when you land on the moon the first time to tell you how exciting it is to be on the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V2U7vTys0

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

...and I wouldn't say that Bethesda never learns lessons or improves.

Bethesda absolutely does learn at least a few lessons from each game they make, but they also make new mistakes and double down on stuff. Like from oblivion to fallout 76 each game even though at the most basic level has some similarities in that they're open world action adventure rpgs, each one has different skill systems and levelling, combat and map/"dungeon" designs.

But yeah there's also flaws in their writing, conversation system, characters, and quests that they just keep repeating. To be fair with starfield at least they got rid of the horrible fallout 4 conversation system. They, um just needed to improve the writing a bit as well.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

- Guy with a cowboy hat, ex-wife, and daughter. White, tan, and bearded. He takes you to the New Vegas post-apocalyptic settlement on a Western planet..
It’s amazing how dedicated they were to just not exploring the setting. Sam’s story touches on the tension in how Akila’s self-image as bold pioneers is at odds with their stagnation into a new aristocracy… and then just ignores it. Daddy issues, babymomma drama, he doesn’t want to settle down, nothing that really meaningfully interacts with the setting. Just Find->Replace spaceship for horse or car and it could be anywhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

It’s amazing how dedicated they were to just not exploring the setting.

Boy loving howdy.

Like say the libertarian water world, with the cyberpunk gangs and the extreme wealth disparity, and the massive corruption, and on several occasions you meet the man behind it all, and he vaguely menaces you, a bit. He might also invest in a bar.

Or, and I've mentioned this before, the seemingly revelatory information that there is/has been some kind of non-human sentient life in the galaxy. Giant loving ziggurats of unknown construction, and floating poo poo with nearly magical properties. And no one, anywhere, is the least bit interested in any of this beyond "Wow, golly, gee wiz that's neat! Better collect them all!". The weird religious kid kinda speculated that maybe it's god and angels, that is literally as far as anyone goes in unravelling this fundamental mystery.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 16, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Talkie Toaster posted:

It’s amazing how dedicated they were to just not exploring the setting. Sam’s story touches on the tension in how Akila’s self-image as bold pioneers is at odds with their stagnation into a new aristocracy… and then just ignores it. Daddy issues, babymomma drama, he doesn’t want to settle down, nothing that really meaningfully interacts with the setting. Just Find->Replace spaceship for horse or car and it could be anywhere.

The generation ship story is the poster child of this for me. There's so much that could have been done with this between integration issues (the gen ship is akin to a fallout vault, you'd expect their society to have warped and developed their own social/ethical values, some of them problematic with their integration), purpose issues (does the entire population even want to leave the ship and settle down? or has a portion grown comfortable with that boring-but-safe way of life?), legal issues (how has the legal framework evolved from old Earth to the current society? do those old deeds still hold value? is there any kind of compensation framework for the deed owners being denied or for the current owners being evicted?) or exploration (how many similar generation ships are know to exist? could one track down the ships or their intended destinations? again, there's some failed vault potential). Like, nothing deep, and most of it having been done multiple times already, but still, plenty of directions to make it sci-fi and memorable in a good way. Hell, they could even have embedded their pointless base building here by having you help them build some settlements and seen the place grow over time.

But no, it's a dumb fetch quest and telling both parties what you, random spaceman, decided they were going to do, from a curated list of the dumbest resolutions possible. And then it's over.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 16, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FishMcCool posted:

But no, it's a dumb fetch quest and telling both parties what you, random spaceman, decided they were going to do, from a curated list of the dumbest resolutions possible. And then it's over.

Ahem, don’t forget that you can see the generation ship in other systems later on if you convince them to push off. (Except that’s bugged and doesn’t work)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Talkie Toaster posted:

What stood out to me in this regard is the accents. The galaxy is 200 years out from the destruction of earth and the eradication of most of its art and culture followed by a resultant consolidation into a primary culture, yet New Atlantis is filled with peoples who've kept their foreign accents. I kept waiting for them to reveal the why of that, if there are various learning softwares people internalized growing up or social enclaves keeping the languages of earth alive. And nothing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ironslave posted:

What stood out to me in this regard is the accents. The galaxy is 200 years out from the destruction of earth and the eradication of most of its art and culture followed by a resultant consolidation into a primary culture, yet New Atlantis is filled with peoples who've kept their foreign accents. I kept waiting for them to reveal the why of that, if there are various learning softwares people internalized growing up or social enclaves keeping the languages of earth alive. And nothing.

Future accents is always going to be a difficult issue, and honestly I don't fault them for just having the voice actors use what ever now days accent. inventing new accents while it could be interesting would most likely sound a bit weird and distracting. Sorta like when sci-fi and fantasy stuff just make up a new "future" word that is just a direct one to one replacement for a regular one from now. This is more a problem with novels.

Oh god do I hate "They pulled their nari'sic -gun- from it plo'nom -it's holster- to and shot the lon-no'op -idoit fuckface- then put their nari'sic back in it's plo'nom."

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

dr_rat posted:

Future accents is always going to be a difficult issue, and honestly I don't fault them for just having the voice actors use what ever now days accent. inventing new accents while it could be interesting would most likely sound a bit weird and distracting. Sorta like when sci-fi and fantasy stuff just make up a new "future" word that is just a direct one to one replacement for a regular one from now. This is more a problem with novels.

Oh god do I hate "They pulled their nari'sic -gun- from it plo'nom -it's holster- to and shot the lon-no'op -idoit fuckface- then put their nari'sic back in it's plo'nom."

I'm not complaining that they didn't invent accents, I was waiting for a worldbuilding explanation as to how these elements of earth have persisted for the last 200 years despite the obvious sources of erosion. Because that would be interesting and reveal more of the setting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I will always respect when developers come up with a plausible-sounding in-world explanation for some practical thing they couldn't do or overlooked during production

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Hollywood didn't survive the expansion so everyone just watches the same 100 movies over and over again, the accent remains due to this".

Ez

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like, if you can show me that you at least thought through this stuff even if you couldn't solve the problem you ran into that feels a lot better to me as a player compared to a game that appears to have been made by people who didn't talk to each other

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

dogstile posted:

"Hollywood didn't survive the expansion so everyone just watches the same 100 movies over and over again, the accent remains due to this".

Ez

That was their excuse for the books, even! Everyone just saved the classics so that’s all there is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

It can be done well. The Expanse is the best, most obvious example with the whole Belter pidgin. Firefly also did a half-way passable job with how they integrated bits of Chinese slang and I presume swearing here and there as a nod to how the universe wasn't exclusively colonized by English speaking Americans.

But there are two things you need if you're going to do that:

1) coherent world building with a clear understanding of how language works in your universe and how you're going to incorporate it in your art
2) consistency in implementation, which means that various teams (be they writing different episodes or developing different areas of a game) are on the same page re: #1.

Which, as far as Starfield is concerned: LOL, LMAO even.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Talkie Toaster posted:

That was their excuse for the books, even! Everyone just saved the classics so that’s all there is.

And they forgot all the compilers on Earth which is why the generation ship runs the same software versions as every other computer in the game

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like, not to beat the design document dead horse again, but this is what those are for. You don't have to do this:

dr_rat posted:

Just make a note in your design doc "plo'nom is this universe's equivalent to idiot fuckface, bordering on the crudeness of the c-word. People who use it should drop it with the appropriate gravitas and people around them should react accordingly."

This isn't hard, either. Rick and Morty had a basic joke long these lines where "glip glop" is some kind of insane space hyper-slur and then Rick drops it later in the episode to comedic effect.

It's not all that hard to introduce new phrases and concepts to a fictional work. No one knew what a phaser or a light saber were at one point either, you just have to not be an incompetent.

Which, re: Starfield, let me reiterate:

Cyrano4747 posted:

LOL, LMAO even.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > STARFIELD: LOL, LMAO even.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That this game didn't sweep up folks like me is a bad sign I think. I've bought pretty much everything else they've produced so it should've been an easy get, but nooooo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think the Starfield team rightly decided not to attempt accents lest they mess it up so badly they get executed

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Andromeda's whole shtick was it was colony ships sent to another galaxy.

Each ship held a few races that were generally fine together. So humans, turians, asari, and krogan all got their own ship. But the Quarians got shuffled into a ship with the hanar.

This was all done at the behest of a mysterious benefactor.

In the base game you find all the ships but the Quarian/Hanar ship, and you don't learn who the mysterious benefactor was. These are led into with very serious "this is the DLC" tags during the epilogue.

Then the DLC got cancelled, so they redid the Quarian DLC as a comic? Which was not great.

The actual reveal of what was going on DLC also got canned, it didn't get a comic.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dick Trauma posted:

That this game didn't sweep up folks like me is a bad sign I think. I've bought pretty much everything else they've produced so it should've been an easy get, but nooooo.

yep, i found myself baffled by how hard some people rejected fallout 4 and mostly play bethesda games ~unmodded~ because what im after is the atmosphere and exploration more than story or gameplay, but then i became the i hate bethesda games guy for starfield. all they had to do was build more than two maps for each POI and they might have gotten me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think the Starfield team rightly decided not to attempt accents lest they mess it up so badly they get executed

If you want to see this in action take a look at that Ubi open world pirate game that I've already forgotten the name of. There are a bunch that are this weird mish mash of jamacian, french, and non-descript asian that really come off as sounding just bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want to see this in action take a look at that Ubi open world pirate game that I've already forgotten the name of. There are a bunch that are this weird mish mash of jamacian, french, and non-descript asian that really come off as sounding just bad.
Skull and Bones?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Firefly the TV show occasionally had 'new' loan words interspersed and it sounded hilariously bad for any native speaker because the accents were awful. I can only imagine Bethesda attempting the same would have similar results.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to handle localization into the original language of the loan words either - would the Japanese dub just insert English in place of what was supposed to be Japanese? Do some other completely different words transform into loan words instead?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Skull and Bones?

That's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isndl posted:

Firefly the TV show occasionally had 'new' loan words interspersed and it sounded hilariously bad for any native speaker because the accents were awful. I can only imagine Bethesda attempting the same would have similar results.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to handle localization into the original language of the loan words either - would the Japanese dub just insert English in place of what was supposed to be Japanese? Do some other completely different words transform into loan words instead?

the accents being awful is kind of fair with loan words though.

I'm not going to start correcting all the random English and other European loan words you find in Japanese, for example.