Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's tough to balance without turning into the "All according to keikaku (note: keikaku means 'plan')" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

whenever I think about Starfield, I think about the "ship travel" in front of a huge planet that doesn't actually move and it just bums me out

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shadowrun Returns had a whole lot of random Japanese words thrown into dialogs which only made people sound like weebs. So awkward.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cringe slang is just part of the shadowrun experience

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Shadowrun Returns had a whole lot of random Japanese words thrown into dialogs which only made people sound like weebs. So awkward.

I mean Shadowrun as a concept is "what if the entire world became weebs" so no huge surprise there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That's cyberpunk in general. Shadowrun also throws in some native-american seeming stuff.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

isndl posted:

Firefly the TV show occasionally had 'new' loan words interspersed and it sounded hilariously bad for any native speaker because the accents were awful. I can only imagine Bethesda attempting the same would have similar results.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to handle localization into the original language of the loan words either - would the Japanese dub just insert English in place of what was supposed to be Japanese? Do some other completely different words transform into loan words instead?

In Persona 3 one of the characters would have bits of English mixed in with her Japanese. For the English release, they changed her to speaking bits of French instead.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

AndrewP posted:

whenever I think about Starfield, I think about the "ship travel" in front of a huge planet that doesn't actually move and it just bums me out

I don’t get why they got so close to copying No
Mans sky but just not the one good thing that that game does. I know the reason is that the engine can’t handle ‘real’ ship flying but still.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Take this with a grain of salt, as it's Uncle @ Nintendo levels of unverified. My understanding is the game design director failed in several significant ways; e.g., didn't articulate a clear & compelling vision, didn't rally the team around that vision, and didn't give actionable feedback (and/or took too long to deliver). It scans with the results, at least; there's potential in some areas, but individual components are flat and the overall vibe is bland. Interested to see if some proper investigative reporting surfaces in the coming months.

The New Game Plus idea is inspired on an essential level. (Endgame) Folks make new characters in Skyrim all the time; why not bake that into the mechanics and make it the "same" character with a progression path? However, for it to succeed, all the core game systems need to support it, to give reasons for doing it. And those reasons don't really exist.

More and more I'm convinced Skyrim was lightning in a bottle for Bethesda. Vikings and zombie vikings and mountains and snow and dragons and shouts and compelling voice actors and the underground and on and on. All that poo poo is dope. The combination speaks to folks on a primal level. Space exploration should, too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AndrewP posted:

It does move! Just not at a speed easily perceptible at planetary scales, in the minute you'll spend looking at it before getting bored and opening the fast travel menu. Doesn't help that the system map is static for ease of use either.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t get why they got so close to copying No
Mans sky but just not the one good thing that that game does. I know the reason is that the engine can’t handle ‘real’ ship flying but still.

Yeah I understand "why". It's a space themed RPG, not a space flight simulator. I get it. It's just that we live in a post Elite/NMS world and it's a little glaringly obvious when you can fly the ship a little but can't really get into outer space.

it's funny, all this thinking about Starfield has kinda made me want to reinstall it again and give it another go. gotta see how the parents are doing

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 17, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I thought about that too. Figured I’d wait til they deliver some kind of cyberpunk/ff14 type turn-around. And if they never do then o well.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Yeah I understand "why". It's a space themed RPG, not a space flight simulator. I get it. It's just that we live in a post Elite/NMS world and it's a little glaringly obvious when you can fly the ship a little but can't really get into outer space.

it's funny, all this thinking about Starfield has kinda made me want to reinstall it again and give it another go. gotta see how the parents are doing
No man's sky does the same thing with flying to space starfield does though. It's not a seamless transition either.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shipon posted:

No man's sky does the same thing with flying to space Starfield does though. It's not a seamless transition either.

No man sky you can fly around the planet, and walk however long in any direction though. There's some weird limits of exploration that I can only assume they thought they would be able to solve and couldn't. Particularly just walking in any direction for as long as you want. It's something that, even if most people aren't doing it, just makes the world feel smaller. Even if they just had put in loading screens it probably would've been better idea. Although that they couldn't do it invisibly in the background just seems weird, as it's not like the loading screens are that long. I assume the procedural generation was just too resources intensive or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

dr_rat posted:

No man sky you can fly around the planet, and walk however long in any direction though. There's some weird limits of exploration that I can only assume they thought they would be able to solve and couldn't. Particularly just walking in any direction for as long as you want. It's something that, even if most people aren't doing it, just makes the world feel smaller. Even if they just had put in loading screens it probably would've been better idea. Although that they couldn't do it invisibly in the background just seems weird, as it's not like the loading screens are that long. I assume the procedural generation was just too resources intensive or something.

The short version is that NMS isn't tracking every fork and potato on a planet to do physics calculations, and if you drop a fork on planet A and come back in a month you can't expect it to still be there. That kind of thing makes streaming assets more or less impossible, which is why anything you care to think of in a Bethesda game is its own cell, hence all the transitions when you go in a building or just to a different part of a city.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That also isn't even a bad thing, it's just a thing with technical limitations. The physics sand box and the fact that every wheel of cheese in the universe is tracked with a known location is part of the charm of these. I can't imagine FO4 without having all that discrete junk, for example (still the best use of the gimmick in any of their games). But it's a very specific design decision that imposes limitations that you need to design your game around. Which, you know, they didn't and to boot they chose a genre that would clash particularly badly with those limitations.

This game is the equivalent of taking a dirt bike to the Indy 500. Dirt bikes are loving rad and a ton of fun, but the rather specific limitations of the platform mean that it's gonna loving suck at Indy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

The short version is that NMS isn't tracking every fork and potato on a planet to do physics calculations, and if you drop a fork on planet A and come back in a month you can't expect it to still be there. That kind of thing makes streaming assets more or less impossible, which is why anything you care to think of in a Bethesda game is its own cell, hence all the transitions when you go in a building or just to a different part of a city.

While cool and convenient to a degree, there's something deeply unsettling to the fact that 2 years after you dropped a fork in the middle of the main street in Akila, it will still be there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

While cool and convenient to a degree, there's something deeply unsettling to the fact that 2 years after you dropped a fork in the middle of the main street in Akila, it will still be there.

I mean, given the amount of mass murder my PC has engaged in across the galaxy, yeah, I can totally see people just going "look man, it's HIS fork. Leave it the gently caress alone, if he comes back for it he comes back for it. Do you want to tell him where his fork went? Because I sure as gently caress don't."

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The fork will despawn when the cell resets if you haven’t visited it often enough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

The fork will despawn when the cell resets if you haven’t visited it often enough.

I think it depends on the cell. It's been a while since I looked into what constituted safe storage in Skyrim et al but I'm pretty sure there were specific player homes in Skyrim at least where poo poo left on tables wouldn't despawn.

50/50 chance that I'm remember a change made by a mod, though.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it depends on the cell. It's been a while since I looked into what constituted safe storage in Skyrim et al but I'm pretty sure there were specific player homes in Skyrim at least where poo poo left on tables wouldn't despawn.

50/50 chance that I'm remember a change made by a mod, though.

Yeah I’m pretty sure there’s a “Don’t Respawn” cell flag, and anything tagged as Persistent or Quest wouldn’t get reset anyway.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Nothing in the game world ever changes or resets

Unless it’s your apartment in New Atlantis getting completely wiped by that UC quest, a bug that took 4-5 months to fix

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
City cells do reset but the timer is stupidly long and you basically have to go out of your way to do it, since you'll probably be visiting them frequently as the quest and trade hubs. I had to do the 'sleep a while on Venus' trick to reset Akila for a quest - the rocks I was supposed to mine didn't spawn despite the quest markers pointing to where they should have been.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Booted the game up and I’m currently in the middle of murdering my way through my corporation’s office building for some reason that I can’t remember. I’m not even sure if I should be going up or down. I feel like Lenny from Memento

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Parents are the most interesting option in Starfield, even though it's a kinda mediocre execution of the idea in game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Parents are the most interesting option in Starfield, even though it's a kinda mediocre execution of the idea in game.

love that you're locked out of this permanently if you, for example, wanted to see what the free apartment looked like

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just going to reiterate that not letting you change traits in NG+ is fuckin stupid

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Al! posted:

love that you're locked out of this permanently if you, for example, wanted to see what the free apartment looked like

so glad I took the snake background and had no less than six NPCs explain to me what the snake cult is

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hawowanlawow posted:

just going to reiterate that not letting you change traits in NG+ is fuckin stupid

It's completely reasonable that my parents are alive and visiting petting zoos in every possible universe

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

so glad I took the snake background and had no less than six NPCs explain to me what the snake cult is

Yes, but are you Northern Conservative Snake Cult Serpentis System Council of 2232, or Northern Conservative Snake Cult Serpentis System Council of 2301?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Catching the parents in the drugs & orgy nightclub is one of the few highlights of the game.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I almost took that then decided not to. I can't imagine how your backstory is supposed to work that you're in a snake cult that no one understands including you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Punished Ape posted:

Yes, but are you Northern Conservative Snake Cult Serpentis System Council of 2232, or Northern Conservative Snake Cult Serpentis System Council of 2301?

Please tell me that this is an Emo Philips reference.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. I finish the Background Checks quest where I infiltrated the corporate Ryujin building (that I am ostensibly an employee of), alerted dozens of guards and killed at least a few.

then a few minutes later I waltz back to the building in the same clothes I've been wearing this whole time, and it's back to being populated with normal employees and guards greeting me like "hey sup".

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 18, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Punished Ape posted:

Admittedly, Pentecostals in space was an odd choice for a faction.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I did appreciate the referance.
Also, you can mod the game so you have all the [non opposing] traits/backgrounds/THINGS as people have said before; its not as good as reshuffling yourself for a completely new universe.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Playing a Bethesda game without a game map is just weird. How did they not manage to implement this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wanna see the Jira ticket for the ingame map they shipped in a bizarre stub implementation state

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to see the responses to the feedback that the game had too much friction. The arguments from the people who championed things like fuel and environmental hazards after they were told "it's too hard and not fun".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I want the Creation Kit to drop so modders can muddle together a decent chunk of game somehow. Or import all of Skyrim onto any of the 994 completely empty soulless planets.