Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

man i wanna fire up starfield again but it's just so loving boring. ugh. gently caress you todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Casey Finnigan posted:

What is this thing with people talking like New Vegas is supposed to be politically impactful or philosophically relevant or something? People liked it cause it had better quests, locations, companions, and dlc than fallout 3 not because it had incisive political commentary

Kris Kristoffersons old man reminiscing about how the world used to be was by itself better than anything in 3 or 4 IMHO.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
^ the FNV voice actors really knocked it out on the park.

Also to clarify, I'm not saying Caesar had it correct. That legion did heinous stuff. Their towns were safer, better fed, and had more access to clean water though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DarkLich posted:

Also to clarify, I'm not saying Caesar had it correct. That legion did heinous stuff. Their towns were safer, better fed, and had more access to clean water though.

*spits second drink*

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fallout 4 failed to make proper use of the setting. They play up the city`s importance to the american revolution but they sort of fail to do anything with it. They really needed a british expy to side with or against. The institute does not fit they are as native to the region as anyone. BoS are invaders but they are not a overbearing goverment that people finally drive out. The railroad is obviously an expy of the underground railroad that would`nt exist for many decades after the revolution. They just dont fit in.

If Fallout 5 is set in a former confederate state they should but surely will not have the balls to make the existence and resistance to slavery a major part of the setting and story.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all it cost ceasar's conquest was enslavement to a regime that believes might makes right in all cases. whats a little enslavement between friends?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baudolino posted:

Fallout 4 failed to make proper use of the setting. They play up the city`s importance to the american revolution but they sort of fail to do anything with it. They really needed a british expy to side with or against. The institute does not fit they are as native to the region as anyone. BoS are invaders but they are not a overbearing goverment that people finally drive out. The railroad is obviously an expy of the underground railroad that would`nt exist for many decades after the revolution. They just dont fit in.

I am sure Bostonians will appreciate how much you associate them with the revolution instead of having funny accents and driving like poo poo

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hawowanlawow posted:

I am sure Bostonians will appreciate how much you associate them with the revolution instead of having funny accents and driving like poo poo

I like how one of the first quests in Fenway Park is how it needs another layer of green paint

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

you have to understand. The gang of rapist slavers uses the term dialectic.

CLAM DOWN posted:

man i wanna fire up starfield again but it's just so loving boring. ugh. gently caress you todd.

Yeah I am gonna reinstall when the mods start rolling in.

Baudolino posted:

If Fallout 5 is set in a former confederate state they should but surely will not have the balls to make the existence and resistance to slavery a major part of the setting and story.

Or you could say that the end of the world results in boston temporally crumpling into itself. You have self defense militias fresh off their latest defeat trying to reach safety, violent abolitionists that are fighting a shadow war, an invading army coming to restore law and order AND an imperialist faction that destabilizes any attempt by locals to create a government.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 23, 2024

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Baudolino posted:

I figured FO4 was doing well enough with the setting, the revolutionary stuff was bits of flavouring in a few locations, otherwise the factions were there to do their own thing (to provide some plot and a sandbox for the player).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In true imitation of the roman empire that inspire them, Caesar's Legion create a wasteland and call it peace. But you do not, in fact, gotta hand it to 'em.

But there's also the Khans, the Boomers, and the Brotherhood of Steel, all of whom are relatively minor factions, all self interested and morally dubious in their own ways, and courting or neutralizing them in the run up to the show down is a more interesting main quest than anything Bethesda has done in the last twenty years.

The factions in New Vegas are as robust as the Factions in Morrowind, and that's high praise.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's nothing as cool or thematically resonant in any Bethesda game as the Kings.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Philippe posted:

There's nothing as cool or thematically resonant in any Bethesda game as the Kings.

as long as i dont have to hear about the tunnel snakes ever again

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

DarkLich posted:

^ the FNV voice actors really knocked it out on the park.

That's in spite of the Legion, not because of it. The Legion itself doesn't have any civil institutions or a real government, they're not building farms or doling out bread. It's just incidental that they wipe out the other threats to stability on their conquering and enslaving sprees.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's been a while since I played NV, but weren't women explicitly property in legion territory

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes. All the good stuff that supposedly happens in legion territory is told, never shown. Meanwhile the NCR has established places like goodsprings or the town the legion burns.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
As a winner of Caesars lottery,

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the legion is so comprehensively stupid and evil that I never considered them anything other than regular ol video game bad guys

Even if you like them they're entirely held together by a dying man's force of personality. They're just wack on every level

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 23, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

moist turtleneck posted:

As a winner of Caesars lottery,

Truly my greatest hope is to see him in the Fallout show

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SMELL THAT AIR! COULDN'T YOU JUST DRINK IT UP LIKE BOOZE

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tankbuster posted:

you have to understand. The gang of rapist slavers uses the term dialectic.

Yeah I am gonna reinstall when the mods start rolling in.

Or you could say that the end of the world results in boston temporally crumpling into itself. You have self defense militias fresh off their latest defeat trying to reach safety, violent abolitionists that are fighting a shadow war, an invading army coming to restore law and order AND an imperialist faction that destabilizes any attempt by locals to create a government.

Well ok. I suppose those are some good points.
But the story ended when it was starting to become interesting. What does it mean to build a new commonwealth, for any of the factions? That we dont get to see.

Still a fun game though, better than F3 and NV.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

the legion is so comprehensively stupid and evil that I never considered them anything other than regular ol video game bad guys

Even if you like them they're entirely held together by a dying man's force of personality. They're just wack on every level

It's literally in the text https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx_5PmTC3RANzShTPfjQsviqSry8BK2VC1?si=ulHa_JBUPY6gTYsY

Caesar looks at the camera and says 'I am turbo hitler. I love fascism and the only thing I care about is making sure there is more fascism in the world'. And still people manage to go 'well there are some upsides to the legion'.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alchenar posted:

It's literally in the text https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx_5PmTC3RANzShTPfjQsviqSry8BK2VC1?si=ulHa_JBUPY6gTYsY

Caesar looks at the camera and says 'I am turbo hitler. I love fascism and the only thing I care about is making sure there is more fascism in the world'. And still people manage to go 'well there are some upsides to the legion'.

"that one merchant's pretty cool with people being crucified so caesar must be intended to be morally grey"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baudolino posted:

That we dont get to see.

And we never will, Bethesda seems 100% opposed to the idea of any post post apocalypse. People need to live in ruins with skeletons in their bathtubs for all eternity

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

And we never will, Bethesda seems 100% opposed to the idea of any post post apocalypse. People need to live in ruins with skeletons in their bathtubs for all eternity

I will argue to death that they should just be leaning into the immediate-post-apocalypse stuff, since their studio's strength is world building (like, the physical world you explore, not the lore or characters) but something like project zomboid where the entire point is You Die Sooner Rather Than Later is antithetical to their seeming ethos of One Playthrough Should Experience Everything

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Azhais posted:

People need to live in ruins with skeletons in their bathtubs for all eternity
I'm starting now so that by the time the bombs drop, I'm already used to it.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i just hope the developers who pushed for more of the survival element stuff can put out a JESswyer type mod. if they can't do all the revisions to get it implemented, maybe a modder can at least take the idea and run with it

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Alchenar posted:

He’s basically Jordan Peterson, intellectualising submitting to a harsh far-right creed as a way to add meaning and structure to your life. I guess it’s not surprising some people fall for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Talkie Toaster posted:

He’s basically Jordan Peterson, intellectualising submitting to a harsh far-right creed as a way to add meaning and structure to your life. I guess it’s not surprising some people fall for it.

That's a harsh thing to say about Caesar.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Talkie Toaster posted:

Challenging the reader to think “well maybe the wasteland does need an authoritarian, if only for a little while” is like, the bare minimum of effective writing in this setting and I don’t think it’s ridiculous that people end up going over the pros and cons of it. Sucks that some folks end up with the wrong conclusion, but I don’t think it’s fair for anyone to suggest the game encourages that by posing the question or that it’s not worth thinking about.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

I don't know if they intended it as such, but this pretty well parallels how people make excuses for and even embrace authoritarianism (and even outright fascism) IRL. At the end of the day those systems get support because they massively, MASSIVELY privilege a certain slice of society, and if you're part of the in-group and are either willing to overlook what's happening to your neighbors or straight up hate them, yeah, it appeals to people. There's a strain of scholarly thought that looks at Hitler's Germany through the lens of basically being a gigantic social welfare program directed narrowly at the people they defined as "true Germans." Hitler's Beneficiaries by Götz Aly is the go-to book about it.

So, yeah, a caravan driver thinking it's great that they're not getting robbed on the roads is pretty on-point for all of that, and if it appeals to the PC then it pretty specifically says something about the PC and the player behind the keyboard. Namely, that you're the sort of person OK with women being chattel if it gives you personal security and the chance to make a butt ton of money.

edit: basically, people will lick the poo poo out of a boot if it's stepping on the neck of someone they don't care for while they steal the victim's wallet.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Caeser's brutal rule was a response to a brutal and chaotic land. And it's an effective response, being the most brutal and horrifying force is an answer. The problem comes from people assuming that because it worked that it was both the best method and entirely justified. Arizona's pacified, but you bet your rear end someone shits their pants if they end up walking down the same street as their regional governor for fear of losing their head.

Anyway how about those space cowboys or snake people?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still think basic food/water survival stuff would be really stupid in Starfield but there is surely some kind of friction that would provide an interesting challenge to the player beyond shooting and getting shot.

Presumably that was the whole point of the outpost system: build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so you can build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so...

That still would have sucked, though, because there's poo poo-all to actually explore and there's no thematic reason that you're the one who has to build all this stuff when there's already outposts on every single planet you visit.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I've come to the conclusion that Starfield is bad because there is no Space Caesar.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Punished Ape posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Starfield is bad because there is no Space Caesar.

But it does have the Space Great Khans

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The Legion is great at identifying their fans as people you shouldn’t ever interact with.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Punished Ape posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Starfield is bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ironslave posted:

Anyway how about those space cowboys or snake people?

I'm sorry, even in its own thread Starfield is irrelevant

Roadie posted:

Presumably that was the whole point of the outpost system: build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so you can build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so...

That still would have sucked, though, because there's poo poo-all to actually explore and there's no thematic reason that you're the one who has to build all this stuff when there's already outposts on every single planet you visit.

That's the rub, either exploration is pointless because there's nothing out there or exploration is pointless because everything you can explore has already been settled. Somehow, Starfield accomplishes both.

A better team might have made interesting content to be discovered by engaging the mechanics, furthering/expanding the story by pushing into the unknown, knowing that a large percentage of players never would. This team didn't.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Has there been anything said about the supposed DLC? I don't know if I can bring myself to boot this game up again I really lost any interest. loving depressing, considering all the hours and re-starts I had in literally every other Bethsoft game I've been into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

no