Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

smoobles posted:

is Starfield good?

Intro might be the weakest one of any Bethesda game, ever, going back to like loving Morrowind. There's a moment in it where you are pretty much going "wait, what, we're doing this now? Seriously?" When the inevitable alternate start mods come out that just plop you wherever not only won't there be much of a gameplay difference, the narrative difference will be non-existent. I mean, say what you will about the intros to Skyrim, FO4, Oblivion, etc. but at least they tied into the story in a way that was deeper than "yo you work for me now."

That aside, game seems pretty fun so far (8 hours in). If you were hoping for some kind of next generation Bethesda experiance lmao this isn't it, but it's still fun. It slots right in as being basically the same as Skyrim/FO4 but with some differences that amount to "in Skyrim you lockpick like *this* but in Starfield you lockpick like ~this~."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Has anyone been having issues with crew going missing? Tried spawning them in via console commands but that doesn't seem to be doing anything, they're non-interactable.

Lin is the big culprit right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Powershift posted:

Put a workstation on a base, and transfer her to the base and back to the ship.

Yeah, I have a base. She's not in my crew list. Like, she was there, assigned to that base actually, and now. . . *poof*

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gnoma posted:

Just take a gun and swap it between standard and tactical magazine 15 times. Or any other cheap mod that doesn't use adhesive.

Captured ships can often become cursed. One trick that I'd had is work is to go into the builder and add or remove a piece then rename the ship (in build mode bring up the flight check menu and press G). It's really good to make a hard save backup before messing with any captured ships. Can easily lose hours of progress if you aren't aware of the bugs and don't catch them right away. Invisible ship is obvious but another thing that can happen is props at space stations, including trade kiosks, can go away forever.

Pretty sure captured ships also caused by problem with disappearing crew. Got so bad I had to restart. Might wait on a few patches before I fire it back up.

At this point I’d avoid captured ships all together.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The problem that Starfield has with exploration is that Bethesda has has already done exploration games and people had an idea of what they wanted from that.

It doesn't loving matter that in the TES lore Skyrim is settled and known or that the capital city is more or less the best mapped place in the world. The player has no loving idea where anything is, and exploring that map and finding out the contours of that world is the whole point. You get a quest to go see Jarl Tightbritches about this whole execution-crashing dragon, and even just following sign posts down a road is - from the player's perspective - exploration. You've never seen this poo poo, you don't know what's around the bend, and as you stumble across small towns and taverns and caves etc it's all new poo poo to poke your nose into, grab a side quest or three, and spelunk for look.

With Starfield you just don't have that. You can "explore" a planet by scanning it then dropping to the surface and clicking each type of rock or creature three times, but there's just loving nothing interesting to get pulled into. Worse, the exploration is just as in-universe pointless as it is in Skyrim. Much like Tamriel, all of these planets are already well known. You're not blazing new paths or jumping into new systems. gently caress, a good chunk of the planets you're scanning and "exploring" are ones that other people had already done that centuries earlier, up to and including the loving earth and moon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I will say this for Starfield: it was really good at putting me in the mood to do another modded-to-the-gills Skyrim run

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The other problem with space combat in Starfield is that it's loving bad.

The basic tension in space/flight combat games is if you're going for a sim or an arcade experience. There are satisfying ways to do both. And you can see the influences in this of what they were cribbing off of. But goddamn it's just so half baked that it feels like the placeholder v.1 system that you'd throw in while the rest of the game was getting built out.

In rough order of how serious the problems are:

1) the combat arenas are all identical. There are next to zero obstacles to maneuver around or in, almost never a big capital ship to manage (attack, defend, avoid as an obstacle in a dogfight, etc). The planets are meaningless because they're just a part of the skybox. You've got a spherical void with enemies who turn and pew pew at you. There are a few set pieces that are a tad different but they're far and few between. Usually a lot more satisfying, too, because you're having to deal with an asteroid field or something.

2) energy management is basically meaningless. It's there, sure, but you really don't need to actively swap between shields, weapons, engines, etc.

3) the enemy AI is terrible, between the perfect aim and the brain dead piloting.

4) Missile lock on is a terrible mechanic as it stands. There is nothing in the way of counter measures, your only way to break lock is to go 90 degrees off your current axis and boost. Even then I don't know if that evades missiles already in the air. Also nothing in the way of ECM components etc that i"ve noticed to increase enemy lock on times etc.

5) The boarding mechanic is cool, but terrible as implemented. Why in the hell does everyone take a time out to let me shoot their buddies in the head and then only start shooting again when we finish our fight?

Compelling and fun space combat has been a solved problem since the days of loving OG Wing Commander 1. They just used an extremely half-baked implementation.

Basically, think of this: imagine you bought a new space combat game and the core gameplay was what we got in this for space combat. You'd be loving pissed, because it would be a terrible game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

2 is a real problem because the second you realize that particle weapons are far, far better than any other option you’ll always just have shields/engine/etc maxed because you only need to feed one of your weapon systems. I’m not balancing my power between lasers for shield and ballistics/missiles for hull because particle shreds both. It’s not even a “well, it’s a balance between shield and hull damage” because as near as I can tell it outdamages matching lasers to shields or whatever.

The missile lock stuff is annoying but it never really matters because enemies are so fragile that I don’t get tagged too much since no one lives long enough to shoot at me. What really annoys me is my own missiles- they don’t do enough damage to make waiting for the lock worthwhile and since all my guns lock on to enemies it’s not like I ever need to use them to get a squirrelly little fucker that’s maneuvering too much for me to put my nose on them.

What's even better is when you have weapons that are not missiles still "locking on" - EMP weapons in the 3rds lot do this.

I have no idea if the lock on makes my ship disable bolt track better or what, but I still have that lock on queue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pinely posted:

In an interview Todd referenced ship combat as something they rebuilt over and over again and that they wanted to rebuild it again but decided not to. He shared it as an anecdote about game design and decision making, but it explains a lot about why ship combat is the way it is.

It ties back into the lack of a design document or at least a centralized vision of what the game should be. No one knew what space combat was supposed to look like so you end up with absurdities like giving the player a system where they individually allocate power in a high tempo dog fight.

Power allocation mid-fight can be an interesting mechanic to add stress to an otherwise simple as gently caress sim if done right. The OG X-Wing and Tie Fighter games are a good example of this. Lots of balancing speed vs suitability vs. DPS. And that's a game from the loving stone age.

The real problem with power allocation as they built it is that it isn't an interesting choice. Combat is so poo poo that there isn't a moment when you're like "I need to boost shields and engines and GTFO of this bad situation" or "I need to boost shields temporarily to over power them, then cut them to zero and eat the drain, while maxing weapons and engines so I can make a slashing attack run at this capital ship without dying." No matter how your ship is built you very quickly find an optimal set of settings and just leave it alone.

It's the vestigial nub of an interesting design mechanic that better games have made a core component of their space flight, but which here is basically window dressing that once in a blue moon you need to interact with - namely when you remember that you straight up turned off the jump drive and need to give it one power because you're jumping to a system you haven't been to yet, rather than fast traveling (which lets you do so without power allocated to jump drives lol)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not an interesting choice and there’s too many bars to click through so it ends up being boring with no choices while also being entirely too fiddly.

Those sims all had three power bars- weapons, shields, engines. Usually you could quickly juggle them while doing other things. Starfield has what, seven or eight bars, each with seven or eight notches? Managing power for a fight takes no thought but simultaneously a lot of attention.

Oh yeah agreed. I"m just saying that as a mechanic power allocation can be interesting and contribute to making gameplay feel more involved.

It's just a horribly implemented version here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I wonder if they actually talked to or hired people with any amount of space flight sim development experience or just said "yeah gently caress it we've got this"

This goes beyond hiring people with experience designing these systems. These are basic problems that anyone who has played a space flight sim since the days of loving XWing and Wing Commander 1 would recognize.

I seriously think they were trying to build systems for a game type that they had never actually played. Like if they'd just decided to stick an EA Madden game clone in the middle of it all but had never actually so much as touched a sports game, up to and including dropping a quarter into NBA Jam in the 90s.

This is poo poo that is immediately apparent to people who have just casually played these kinds of games in the past.

You don't need to be a trained automotive engineer to understand why the Homermobile sucks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Starfield really is just the Homermobile, it's uncanny

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man I am loving deep into my third attempt to at least finish a play through.

At launch I did the intro poo poo and I think the space cowboys.

A few months later I picked it back up and did Team Blue not-Federation. The ones where you need to fight Xenoterramorphs and banged out half the pirates before I drifted off.

I just did the pirates and the corpo "We have Cyberpunk at home" storyline, plus a few companions. Internet said that snake lady is the best romance and lmao if that is "best."

At this point it's just sheer bloody minded determination to beat a game I bought at launch like a chump. If nothing else this exercise will teach me to never, ever buy on launch day.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

why did the mountain thing become a meme anyway. afaik you can in fact climb any mountain in skyrim

Weren't there a poo poo ton of invisible walls at launch? To prevent you doing poo poo like shimmy-jumping up a mountain from the starter zone and getting into a higher tier one or meeting the dragon shout guys early? I'm pretty sure an invisible wall remover is one of the go-to mods.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

in 12 years I've never seen an invisible wall apart from the map edges and I've never heard of a mod to remove invisible walls

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6713

I just lazily googled "skyrim invisible walls mod" so I don't know if that's the one everyone uses with max upvotes and some nexus mod superstar mod author or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

have you actually played skyrim

yeah, a bunch, maybe I just misremembered. *shrug* It's been a year or two. I probably just mixed it up with NV.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The patent office is also hilariously under staffed to the point that they rubber stamp
a ton of crap that should never be granted and more or less rely on lawsuits to weed out the bad ones.

But that doesn’t prevent a whole ecosystem of scummy companies from existing solely to squat ideas and demand royalties.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hel posted:

Did it though? BotW was basically just spiderman climbing but slow and with stamina, which has been a thing since at least the PS2 for open world games.

Forgive me for not being a native english speaker but isn't climb the common verb you use for stairs? you climb the stairs, sure you can also walk up them but climb seems to be one of the default verbs here. Honestly it's the same for mountains, you climb them, regardless of how you actually ascend them, unless you are flying to the top or something.

Eh, not really. Like, yes, "Climb the stairs" works but it would have to be a very specific situation to use that. Like, if the action itself is the important part, e.g. "Bill hurt his foot climbing the stairs."

"Walking up" is almost always going to be the better pick, and most of the time the action of going up the stairs is going to be completely elided and the destination focused on. So you might say "Bob walked upstairs to go to bed." "upstairs" in this case being the second story of the house, not "up the stairs."

edit: in comparison you're always going to use "climb" when talking about a ladder, unless it's using a more generic construction like "went up the ladder."

Meanwhile I'd argue in a very from the hip kind of way that "climbing a mountain" implies actually climbing in English, not walking. If I say I climbed Mt Hood people are going to assume I'm out there with crampons and poo poo. Otherwise you'd say something like "hiked to the top of" or "drove to the top of" etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My real question is 1) what the DLC is going to do and 2) how much it’s going to cost.

If it’s free DLC that fixes a lot of problems? loving awesome, won me back at least in part. $20 DLC that fixes stuff? Ehhhh I’ll get it on sale in a year.

$50 DLC? gently caress off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

you have to understand. Bethesda has to fire everyone and make their next game in UE5 and fill it with sexy dames and blokes who will blow you. Otherwise the story is flawed.

I don’t think anyone here is saying that.

They’re just saying the plot is bad and the game mechanics are the freshest innovations that 2011 has to offer.

Fake edit: that’s too unkind. The best mechanics 2015 has to offer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I had a similar thought a week or two back, although I haven't played Outer Wilds yet. But yeah, I think the only way for an open-world space game to work, at least in the BGS style, is to just handwave it and decide that the universe is just really small for some reason. Size it so you can just get in your ship and fly from New Atlantis to Neon within ten minutes of travelling, no hyperdrive, just like you could walk from Whiterun to Riften.

And then the map isn't stupid big and the player is actually flying through it instead of fast traveling everywhere, so you can actually have fun preplaced encounters on the way from point A to point B, the equivalent of all the little caves and landmarks that you get sidetracked by in Skyrim or Fallout.

From a gameplay perspective this is solved by using jump gates rather than having a jump drive. You basically just have set travel zones people need to physical go to in order to swap maps.

From a narrative standpoint it also makes exploration dangerous and exciting if that first jump is one-way until you build a gate (via quests or whatever).

Again these are basic genre conventions that were solved literal decades ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phobeste posted:

- keep all the above but you put stuff in the arenas to provide cover? you've made a fun dogfighting game (these aren't to my taste so i don't have an example)

The really easy reference would be the XWing series of games, and its most recent spiritual successor Star Wars: Squadrons. The Wing Commander series is also old as gently caress and a good reference. This is all on the more arcade-ish end of "sim." For more of a hard sim feel Elite: Dangerous has its pitfalls but is the easy reference. That said, I think moving in the direction of hard core sim would have been a huge mistake for them given their opinions re: accessibility.

edit: note that this is all suuuuper basic on the level of someone saying "man I don't know how to make a fun FPS" and saying "well, have you ever played Doom 2 or Half Life?"

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 29, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phenotype posted:

But from the point of view of a Bethesda-type game, you end up with the same thing Starfield does -- you can have stuff happen when you're already next to a planet (or outside a gate) but there's still no sense of traveling around and exploring interesting things that you find along the way.

Sure you can. It's the way that every game that uses that basic design idea works.

You don't put the gate on top of the planet, you put the gate off away from the planet with interesting poo poo in between. Stations and asteroid fields and pirate bases and wrecked fleets to salvage an whatever other poo poo you want to fill it with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Oh I landed several more times in random places just because I wanted to set up resource extraction, but it was just as boring and disappointing as the earlier times so I memory holed the whole thing.

At one point I spent a solid chunk of a day's play time on a weekend looking up what planets had what resources and setting up a chain of outposts to mine the most important minerals so I could funnel everything towards a main base. Figured out the clusterfuck of how the system-to-system spaceships work (what the gently caress do you mean each one needs its own landing pad what the christ? :psyduck:), figured out the best combo to do what I needed to do right now, got it all tricking forward so I would have resources accumulating to build out my main base.

Then I had to figure out and un-gently caress the bizarre storage system they set up. Why there's not just one central repository for all your crap in a base is beyond me.

Going in I figured it would end up being like the FO4 settlement networks, where you grow a bunch of plants in one place to make starch that you turn into poo poo at another place, and you just link their storages via the magic of supply trains.

Anyways after doing that for a while I needed like two colbalt or something so I went to a store, realized I could buy more random minerals at the supply shop right off the New Atlantis spaceport than I could ever need, then fast traveled to Mars and realized they also had a ton, then went to cowboy town, then I went back to my main base and dumped all that poo poo off and could have built whatever I wanted to and logged off for like three months because meh why loving bother.

I was pretty ready to dig into some base building and space logistics and man they undercut that so badly I didn't even want to bother.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bholder posted:

Not to sound like a broken record but that is exactly how Cyberpunk discourse went when it was released.

Cyberpunk was broken as gently caress (and holy poo poo there is a LOT to be said about how lovely that launch was and how stupid it is for everyone to be singing their praises today like they didn't charge us all full MSRP for broken crap at launch) but at least there was something to fix there.

You could make an immaculate, perfect version of Starfield and it would still suck. The problems aren't technical, they're core game design issues.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I would challenge anyone to name something new Starfield brings to video games that they'd like to see reproduced or iterated on in another game.

The ship builder is a pretty solid swipe at the concept, and it lands nicely between giving the player freedom to make cool poo poo while also being simple enough that you don't need to go full Kerbal calculating thrust to weight or center of gravity etc.

It has its issues, but there is a good core there and it's something that could be iterated on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DancingShade posted:

They had to cram in a Firefly TV show faction. That's it.

Does anyone under the age of 40 give a poo poo about Firefly anymore? I can’t imagine some 25 year old gamer giving a gently caress about a show that was popular with college nerds when they were four years old.

It would be like dropping a Dallas or Threes Company reference in Morrowind and expecting college kids in 2002 to get all hyped for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

You take your mobile home, fight other mobile homes with space lasers while upgrading your mobile home to have more space lasers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LMAO.

I'm bee-lining the main quest at this point. Need to fix a thing for constellation, everyone has a thing they want me to do. Talk to one guy, asks me to test a thing on a computer, interact with a terminal and run a test program. Kinda silly and non-interactive but OK, fair enough.

Sarah asks me to pick up some wrenches and help her tighten down some equipment.

Click a wrench thinking it would have me pick it up and get this pop up:

Holy poo poo this would have been low-grade embarrassing twenty years ago. Like really, not even giving me a wheel to click and make it turn or something? I mean, just straight up gently caress having a bespoke animation for tightening the bolts, what do people think this is a AAA massive release priced at $70? But like holy loving poo poo I'm pretty sure I remember having to turn a wheel to make a thing repaired in Half Life.

One, not two.

The one that came out in 1998.

edit: literally ten seconds after that you help Single Cowboy Dad weld some panels in the same way. Just click the welder, no need to actually have anything resembling gameplay or even mild interactivity waving a welder over a line etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

hope you made a hard save before starting that one

Nope. Guessing it's a point of no return?

Really don't care.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

Watch the paid dlc bring back trash farming

I mean, unironically yeah, that would be an improvement.

Sorting through dumpsters in Boston for desk fans and rolls of duct tape was at least a base level background thing to be doing, a simple reason to explore environments. Starfield would legit be better if I could break down the random crap sitting around for materials to do something with.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't even in the top 50 of things that are wrong with the game, but yeah, bringing back trash farming would 100% be an improvement. Which, you know, is saying something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

or maybe both those games are good and annoying people who got their political awakening from playing new vegas aren't the entire gaming landscape.

I'll go to bat for FO4. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a solidly good one. Yes, even the main plot is solidly serviceable in a fallout game sense. And the base building remains some of the most fun, accessible, gently caress around base building there is.

But LMAO FO76 is trash. I tried the beta, and stayed well the gently caress away based on what I saw there. Then I gave it a fair shake on gamepass after it had been out a couple of years and christ, it was still awful. I've heard that the NPC patch made things less bad, perhaps even OK, but meh. FO4 already scratches that particular itch better and the base building is better because you don't have to gently caress around with online stuff. Stash space limitations in a bethesda style collect-a-thon are just dumb.

I get that you're trying to defend this dumpster fire, but you really have your job cut out for you without also trying to defend 76 at the same time.

fake edit: here, let's make this simple:

Really good to excellent Bethesda games:

- Morrowind
- Skyrim

Decent to pretty good Bethesda games:

- FO4
- FO3
- Oblivion

Mediocre to just plain bad Bethesda games:

- FO76
- Starfield

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

crafted experiences eventually grow old. Sometimes its charming running into a bunch of blokes on a crossroads so you can shoot them.

You have to actually play something a bunch for it to get old.

I've got 150 hours in Witcher 3 and about as much in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, two games I doubt I'll play again but which I enjoyed when I was in them.

I've got about 60 in Starfield and I think I'm close to the end. I doubt I'll ever launch it again.

Meanwhile I've got about 500 hours in Skyrim across multiple versions, 380 in FO4, and just shy of 500 in FO:NV. Probably similar numbers in Morrowind but that was pre-Steam so I don't have playtime at my fingertips. Sure, story was involved in the first few playthroughs, but they make great gently caress around sandboxes with ample modding support to this day.

Basically Starfield fails at both being a crafted experience that draws you in and keeps you engaged, and at being a sandbox for messing around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, let me give a kind of vertical slice of this failure, coming from someone who's been playing these games since Morrowind.

I'm a total and complete whore for collecting weapons and uniforms and building little museums in these games. Back in Morrowind I remember there was this dude's house in I think Balmora, where you could murder him and take over his neat 3 story pad. I just remember it had a giant circular room on the bottom floor where he was summoning daedra or something. Anyways, I'd always arrange all the armor types I found on the floor down there in order of power/value. Laid them out the way they looked - pants under chest, helmet over chest, legs and arms in the appropriate place, etc. Same with weapons. By far most of my playtime was spelunking in Daedric shrines to find high end armor pieces and put them on display.

Fast forward to FO4 and yep, I'm doing the same thing. Only this time I can build my own custom power armor garage, put in a poo poo ton of weapon and armor racks, set up custom lighting, etc. My basic play loop was scavenge the wasteland for the materials to build my museum and displays, then go find power armor and epic/unique gear to put in it.

So I'm at the part of Starborn where you learn the terrible secret of space while looting NASA headquarters. They've got this big museum set up and in one part of it is a full Mercury program era space suit. In any other Bethesda game I'd have been shuffling gear around, throwing poo poo on the floor, all so I could pack out this unique armor and put it on whatever the game's current version of armor stands are.

Here? Really couldn't be hosed. Just left that poo poo in the display and kept on trucking. Setting aside the low key nihilism of NG+ not making anything you do matter, I gave up on my base that I was building to display all my poo poo about 30 game-hours ago because base building is just loving terrible, the gear in the game has all been so generic looking that even though I saved a bunch of golden and purple guns and armor I've had no desire to set it all up, and in the end the game just failed to grab me so badly that I'm just trying to get it done so I can say I beat it.

This is a dumb thing that has been getting me hooked into Bethesda games since the days of fast travel via silt strider and they dropped the ball so hard it's kind of making me want to reinstall FO4 just to build a base and set up a silly little museum.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whelp I did it. I pushed through and beat the game. God what a wet fart of an ending. Did NG+ just enough to grab an artifact and uninstalled. I'm morbidly curious to see what the DLC will be, but that's about it.

The thing that really annoyed me towards the end was how they had some interesting story hooks (the romp through NASA and learning what killed Earth in particular was cool) but didn't do much with them. The retreat into dumb mysticism at the end was also a letdown. For a game that advertises itself as "NASA-punk" and hypothetically is leaning into a more realistic vision of the future, they sure did lean into space magic and dorm room bong rip philosophy at the end, and all without even bothering to actually say who the gently caress was behind it all in the end.

It's like someone over there watched an episode of Rick and Morty and thought that multi-verse hi-jinks would be a good twist at the end, but also totally misunderstood the ennui at the core of a lot of it.

The whole thing, front to end, feels like someone's fanfic that got JUST popular enough to need to name-swap and file the serial numbers off. 50 Shades of Firefly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I dunno, kinda feels like they understood it perfectly since the end of Starfield evokes the same "nothing matters, everything is pointless" feeling that Rick and Morty often espouses. What they seem to have missed is that it's occasionally interesting when you watch TV show characters grapple with it but a supremely unsatisfying and frustrating feeling to be left with after you've sunk dozens of hours into a game.

What really amazes me is how many characters are flagged as quest vital, even in ng+. Like ok maybe gamers today won’t understand the “you hosed up the threads of fate you better reload” pop up a la Morrowind but goddamn in ng+ just let me murder the galaxy and get the pieces of the star gate via murder if I want. gently caress up this universe, who cares, just move into a new one.

They can’t even do “nothing matters” right.

Edit: hell if you’re REALLY clever that hard reset button lets you have actual fail states with consequences for quests. gently caress up the UC faction quest? Congrats terormorphs overrun all settled places have fun killing thousands of those assholes while you get all the star scrap metal so you can gently caress off to a galaxy you didn’t burn down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tadashi posted:

The main implication seems to be that Bethesda needs to modernize their development technology?

I'd be really curious to see what their financials look like. They've got an enormous amount of technical debt stored up in an engine that they've been dragging forward for over 20 years now, and at this point the obstinacy in sticking with it has to be for some reason beyond not wanting to re-work their development pipeline. I'm sure it does a lot of interesting things and there isn't an easy one-engin drop in solution, but man it's not like they're the only game in the world doing their rough basic idea at this point. I mean, for all the debate over whether it's a good game or not, Outer Worlds used UE4 and can be broadly described as a Bethesda-style game.

I wonder if it's a modding thing? I could see a UE game not having the modding potential as Gamebryo, and if they're leaning hard into trying to keep that community on-side that could explain a lot of it. In fairness to that point of view, if they'd made a basically competent game that people liked the broad strokes of a lot of the traditional Bethesda problems that are rooted in the engine would have been hand-waved away again as just how it is with them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Reckon the designers would be the ones in charge of making the branching quests and events and overlapping possibilities, which must also be a large source of the bugginess and difficulty of making their previous games. In interviews they seemed to openly loathe those aspects of the games and had been actively trying to cut them down to a linear path with optional poo poo on the side they don't need to worry about entangling into main things.

I wonder if they've also read too many of their own forums a la Bioware or focus grouped themselves into nothingness. The insistence on the player being able to do everything in one run murders the ability to have any consequences that matter at all, but that's the kind of bland accessibility that I'm thinking comes from people griping on forums about how they can't do Quest X that they read about elsewhere.

poo poo, imagine if Freestar, UMC, and Corpo Who's Name I Can't Remember were mutually exclusive approaches. You can dabble with them all a little bit but at roughly the mid-point you need to pick one and go with it. Maybe it even has companion consequences. Introductory Lady who's name I also can't remember would be the obvious for the UMC, Straud could be the Corpo rep, and Space Cowboy Dad would obviously be the Freestar route. If you REALLY wanted to get in the weeds, maybe Freestar and UMC are so antithetical to each other that the companion repping them leaves, but the Corpos are broadly acceptable to everyone but then you get locked into scummy feeling corpo quests.

But no, instead we get events that are so siloed that people in that faction don't react even after you've become Faction Jesus. I was doing Start Lady's companion quests, which involved us going to some admiral's office to bother him about a ship that got lost a bazillion years ago. Only I'd already done both the UMC faction line entirely AND the undercover pirate poo poo. So I'm not only the guy who was recently honored with a Citizens Only penthouse for saving the galaxy, I'm also the swashbuckling undercover cop who single handedly solved pirates. And this Admiral starts his conversation with me by asking who the gently caress I am and there was no option to say "yo I'm the hero who saved your asses, help my friend out"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

space uncle posted:

Starfield does not let you build close to the grove. Starfield lacks even the basic building poo poo that Fallout 4 had, so I ended up spending more time building the stupid Red Rocket Gas Station rooftop bar than I ever did building stuff in Starfield. The landing pads and logistics never worked consistently for me so I gave up.

It amazes me how much of a step back base building is in this, the game hypothetically all about building bases on alien worlds.

In vanilla as gently caress FO4 you can salvage away all the debris at your chosen base, build your own foundations, and make a custom building with your own floor plan. Are there prefabs if you don't want to gently caress around? Sure, plenty. But you can also build the power armor garage of your dreams one wall at a time. These are basic tools, minecraft it ain't, and everything tends to converge on looking like a bunker, but it has a very high degree of customization.

In Starfield it's 100% prefabs with pre-determined door nodes and you just snap crap together. That has a certain utility if you're making a mining station on an airless moon, but it's really unsatisfying when you're trying to make something cool on a planet with an actual breathable atmosphere.

Just a whole system that provided incredibly re-playability for people who are into it, and a ton of exposure for the game via things like youtube videos of people's insane palaces they built.

Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VrM0CCDrI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Megazver posted:

congrats starfieldies

Innovation!