Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it'll be introduced in a more limited form as dlc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I am a sick gently caress and am enjoying this garbage slop regardless. Don't be like me, have some self-respect
It's perfectly fine to like a bad game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Talkie Toaster posted:

given just how good the rivers were in Skyrim.
Unless you own a boat. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I'm surprised how much restraint they showed in the MSQ where one of the companion characters dies. They somehow resisted a moment of pathos with them dying in your arms, choking out a few last words. They're just dead on the floor in a pool of blood.

I think that may be a first for a Bethesda RPG.
You think bethesda could have animated that? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm kinda enjoying them repeatable blasting away at their own feet. :toot:

(I'm sure as hell not clicking links to the xcrement site however)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

isndl posted:

The Starfield thread will never be able to heal until we have tits on a terrormorph.
And replace terrormorphs with mudcrabs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if the lack of design document thing is the reason for things like the Blue Palace in Skyrim where the exterior is obviously made to have two entrance doors while the interior is only made for one?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

tadashi posted:

This is the problem in Wasteland games. Certain weapons are useless toward the end of the game, so there's no reason to pick them in the first place.
That's one of those things that's great to learn about halfway through a game or later.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought humanity was doomed in Starfield? Settlements are so small and sparse because there aren't many people left and the reason more than half the total population are mindlessly raiding and killing is because there is no hope anymore.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Philippe posted:

It's the ultimate triumph of neoliberal capital: to not only ignore any alternate ideologies, but to present your ideology as the only one who can exist. Jessie Gender's video about Starfield talked about that a bunch.
That video is a click, if you have a couple of hours to spare.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRv8tmrVxxo

Flowing Thot posted:

I was playing Skyrim earlier and thinking about how Delphine and Faranger seemed to have been researching dragons coming back before the dragons actually came back and had a lot for questions about that. Did I miss some optional dialogue?
Isn't Delphine in Helgen watching the prisoner wagons roll in? She could easily have made it to Whiterun before the dragonborn did, and other people did as well since the city gates are closed due to the rumors of dragons and no more Helgen when the player show up. The dragonstone might have been a Blades thing that wasn't worth recovering until there was a very sudden need to find anything at all related to dragons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think there's at least a strong current of indifference, if not resistance, to mods at BGS. Obviously they say they love mods and modders, but if you look at their actions and it really isn't a priority.

When you release Starfield without some version of a "StarUI" already baked into the PC install, you're not paying attention to the mod scene. That's a non negotiable bedrock mod for anyone modding Skyrim for the last, what, decade? BGS may pay some lip service to it, but it's clearly not trickling down into their actual decision making or design process.

You've got the equivalent of years and years of free labor that you could be using to improve your product. I don't even necessarily mean directly importing mods, I'd presume that the devs that actually make these games are capable of looking at a popular mod and saying"ah, I see what you did there, neat "

There are issues in Starfield that have been solved problems for years in Skyrim and no one at BGS mandated those fixes as a starting point. They seemingly don't have any pipeline for someone to hold a recurring meeting where they say 'what have the modders fixed and how can it impact this game we're making so that it doesn't have the same problems?"

Instead they spent years reinventing the wheel and it's not even a very good wheel.
I fully agree with you but if bethesda had attempted to make a StarUI it would've been so bad it still required a mod to fix it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is that the real reason behind the "new" game plus mechanic?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Speaking of quests, I enjoyed the clone village experiment and ended up letting Genghis Khan take to the skies, but is there ever a followup event to that or is it just a case of "omg what have you done?! think of the consequences* !!!" ( *consequences not implemented in game )

Not that I feel like his DNA should make it ethical to lock him up preemptively, but was curious if Bethesda had taken any direction there or just left it hanging.
The clone is also not like the real historical figure, so it's even more pointless. Real life Genghis Khan tried multiple times to settle down and just live peacefully with his family. He wasn't some raging monster who went on a murderous conquest to sate his bloodlust. Not saying that he didn't cause a lot of people to die obviously or that he was the nicest person in the world or anything, but there was vastly more than just crushing his enemies seeing them driven before him etc.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 16, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was certain Starfield was going to be disappointing. A completely new setting without any previously built up work they've leaned on for decades? Yeah... But I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was.

And of course after fallout 76 it's almost bizarre how anyone could be foolish enough to expect anything amazing. Bethesda has been caught time and time again to blatantly lie directly in people's faces and yet they still happily bend over and scream "let me preorder!" :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine doing Skyrim new game+ once you've kicked Alduin in the scales. Instead of going back to adventuring you can chose to end up on the prison wagon again. Sounds dreadful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Al! posted:

i dont trust that todd
How many times has he gone in front of a camera or audience and just blatantly lied directly into everyone's face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shadowrun Returns had a whole lot of random Japanese words thrown into dialogs which only made people sound like weebs. So awkward.