Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Bets on which AAA actor they wasted money on for 5 minutes of VA for a throw away character?

I am glad the main character doesn't have any voiced lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You think they come up with these stories organically and then only later realize that it's been done to death? Or do they just decide "gently caress it. Mass Effect had a good story, let's go with that".

I mean, I'm glad they finally hired some people who know what a human face should look like, but I really wish they'ed spend some cash on a writer that actually has new ideas.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I deeply hope that the reason the shooting sucks in Fallout is because of the V.A.T.S. system. Assuming starfield doesn't have that, then they don't have a reason to make the shooting suck on purpose. I realize this is extremely wishful thinking.

Extortionist posted:

Anyway, I fully expect this to be a kinda mediocre game that I somehow spend 300 hours playing and mostly enjoying, like every other Bethesda game.

Yeah, this.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The Titanic posted:

In 99% of my fallout encounters I forgot vats even existed. The gunplay was a very solid meh at best. :shrug:

Though I don't much like fps games and played it third person so maybe there was improvement if you did it in first person. I only did fps when I was in a dungeon because the camera didn't work well in them for tps. But on the surface it was all third person.

I'm just accusing them of intentionally making the gunplay bad so that people would use vats. But maybe they're just bad at it? Maybe a bit of both? Someone tweet at todd about it!

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

They really need to make it clear that there are a lot of nothing planets out there and not just bowing to their marketing team jerking off over big numbers. Like, more so then they have been. I know they don't want to have to explain this poo poo in a commercial or whatever, but it's disingenuous to say "There's 1000 planets to explore!" without also saying "and most of them are poo poo!".

Still buying it, I just think they're setting themselves up for backlash. Or maybe no one will give a poo poo? Who can say

Popete posted:

This is a Bethesda game, nothing is going to stop people from saying how awful the design and writing is well they have 300+ hours logged on Steam.

That's prolly the most salient point. I have hundreds of hours in all of their games, so I can't see this as being any different.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 15, 2022

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I guess the only people that'll really care are also the same people that'll go looking for interviews with devs talking about it.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I hope when you claim an area to build on a freighter jumps in or whatever they do and then drops a giant 3D printer onto your claim. The printer is housed in a big cube shaped frame that perfectly outlines the area you can build in. Then, when you place a building, the printer actually prints it. But you know, in high speed.

Anyway, that'll never happen, but one can dream.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Real space is filled with a bunch of rocks with nothing on them. Even few hundred years of local space exploration isn't going to put a huge dent in that number.

I think it was dumb to tout it like they did because it sets up that expectation that there's gonna be "something" on each one, when it seems they're just intended as a different backdrop to your personal space. But who knows, maybe they'll slap a proc-gen random faction base on each planet just to say they're there.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

dr_rat posted:

A Russian roulette gun that works exactly how you think it would
A 1 shot 6-shooter revolver where you have to pull the trigger randomly 1-6 times before it will fire?
Or the cartoon "barrel bent up and backwards towards the shooter" style?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

I remember when Skyrim was coming out, and people had bad memories about the Oblivion vocal work, BGS was touting the big names they had doing acting for Skyrim. Has there been anything like that in this? My biggest complaint about the deep dive was how flat all, and I mean all, the dialogue was.

God I hope not. So much money wasted so Boromier and Picard can get maybe 20 lines of dialogue and then you never hear from them again.

Like, CDRed did a good job getting Ted for cyberpunk2077. He had lines through the whole game and was a constant.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like the promo-train is starting up

I liked those videos but it really makes me hope for multiple start locations. Bethesda has a pretty piss poor records of doing that kinda thing though. I wouldn'ty mind if it was as shallow a difference as CP2077s intros, just so long as you started on different planets.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, Items aren't supposed to have descriptions, right? For some, presumably;y good, reason?

It's not a big deal, but it'd be kinda nice to know what some ship weapons do and maybe a bit of exposition as to why one gun is better than another even though their stats are essentially the same. You know, dumb stuff like that.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 5, 2023

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I dunno, items literally have no description. Sure, I can look at the picture. But what makes this bottle of booze special?

Maybe it's just because I haven't played a Bethesda game in forever and have been playing a lot of FROMsoft games. But I kinda expect some kind of brief blurb about poo poo I pick up.

Also maps. Why aren't there any maps? or a basic waypointing system. I dunno, any basic navigation tools would be good. I don't mind fast traveling everywhere but it seems difficult to manually go anywhere off a planet (and often difficult in interplanetary travel).

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 5, 2023

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Well, it seems these are well hashed complaints, so I'll drop it and just say that besides these weird choices, the game has been a blast so far!

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

If the god damned landing pads just had a ramp instead of those annoying stairs... What about wheelchair accessibility?!?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know if it's what they mean, but I would have liked stuff like:

"Cheap to manufacture, easy to use, and reliable even under harsh conditions, the Eon is a common sight across the settled sectors. Whether issued by security forces as a side arm, secured in the cockpit of a long hauler, or tucked away in a half forgotten hardcase on a remote mining site, the Eon is a comforting presence when unexpected danger threatens."

Yes, exactly like this! Just some flavor and what makes it different or special.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Tei posted:

Anyway I wish I could build a tent or a building withouth airlock, so I don't have to wait 10 secods to enter the home
Somehow my NPCs managed to open both doors of the airlock on my outpost. Not sure how, but I refuse to touch that door now.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, I noticed I only have 8 total outpost grenades or whatever they are. Is that per-planet, System, or all-together?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Do Cargo Hall moduals actually add cargo space? If not why not and when will that mod come out?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I wish the skill upgrade challenges took more effort and didn't cost a skill point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

4 particle cannons with 12 energy fires so god drat fast.