Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

ChrisBTY posted:

I need to go back and unlock the master safe there. Even though Master level lockpicking sucks between the complexity of the locks and the sparsity of digipicks.

Also: First Contact Quest There doesn't seem to be any resolution here that doesn't cost me more than it makes me. Also how big of a bounty would I accrue for unaliving 2/3 members of the board of directors because gently caress those capitalist scumbags. They didn't even pay me for my services.

They're essential. You can't kill them.

I'm looking forward to games in federal agency punk settings. OSHA-punk, FAA-punk, the possibilities are endless

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Turin Turambar posted:

After two days of real life stuff, I got back. Now I'm visiting Akkila. This got a chuckle of me:

The city design is 100% old west, including brick & mortar building and wooden windows and... suddenly that stand take from Neon or Altantis city??

they hired arthmoor to put lore friendly quest kiosks in

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Meowywitch posted:

I don't understand why starfield

Everyone keeps asking why starfield and never how starfield is feeling. :negative:

I tried to do ng+ but even with the one light temple mod it's just so boring. Hey wanna go to copy pasted dungeon? wanna do it 6 times???

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Wrex Ruckus posted:

my eyes rolled back into my head when I was doing the Overdesigned sidequest and I realized I had to give Walter an update *in person*

Uhhhh FTL communication isn't hard sci Fi so of course *casts fireball at a guy*

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Jimbot posted:

What on earth. Vanguard spoilers: how the flying frig are bringing back cool dinos from extinction (that are natural predators and double as livestock) the worse choice next to unleashing a bioweapon that infects all life as we know it? These companions suck poo poo. Being into science my rear end. These clowns need to hand in their PhDs and resign from this exploration society, if they were left to making decisions the galaxy would suffer some sort of heat death because they chose poorly.

I lol'd when someone said "Trust the science" unironically.

My absolute favorite dumb thing in the game was at the end of the space cowboy plot where you go to the mech factory base of the criminal mech Calvary army that doesn't use mechs because its illegal who then tell you that they're going to shatter your world by saying a job creator is evil

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Iirc my dead space fiance Andreja liked the space dinos, which means that she's the best companion

Yeah I guess it's settled who is the best isn't it.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

site posted:

I really really wish I had an EM weapon on me for the Paxton Hull and Ron Hope confrontations in the freestar ranger quest line

they don't work

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Its another one of those things where it probably would have been better to cut it entirely

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Godlessdonut posted:

All 4 of them???

honestly starfield feels way smaller than skyrim

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

ChocNitty posted:

People love complaining about Bethesda games, yet most won't acknowledge the games qualities and improvements. They're more one sided with this game than others.

For example, if you read posts in the No Mans Sky thread, you won't see constant complaints about how ridiculously barebones missions are, the crappy storytelling that was written by an android, the average graphics, and the lack of NPC's. We love that game for the stellar exploration, crafting, and the free content that gets added.

For Starfield, I think the combat, visuals, storytelling, art design, and the variety of different things to do is a big step up. This more than makes up for its shortcomings in my opinion.

I also think that there are some perception issues. Like the goon who said Skyrim has more to explore. It's world is 15 square miles. Starfield has more handmade places to explore. It's just that it's spread out and divided more. Imagine if it were condensed onto the same single sized map.

If a game is lovely, I lose interest and stop playing it pretty quick, like I did with Disco Elysium. But I have about 50 hours into Starfield and I look forward to playing more, and I feel like i'm just getting started. If people disliked the game, they would just move on to something else, instead of coming here to complain.

No negatives allowed good vibes only

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
uhhhh starfield is ovviously bigger it's got so many planets???

*walks half a kilometer just to get to the next thing over a barren wasteland of lovely textures only to find the same copy pasted abandoned lab*

Glagha posted:

I got to sleepwalk through a mission because I was friends with the Crimson Fleet and as a result I got to hear Barrett run though every line of dialogue he had with Andreja like twice because they kept stopping to bullshit

Being in the crimson fleet is really funny because there's 3 enemy types in the whole game and whoops, you're friendly to 1/3rd of them now. None of their poo poo is marked as owned either so you can just wander around their bases and loot everything.

You do have to deal with the fact that all the raider npcs have exactly 3 lines and will repeat them constantly which is a fair trade off

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 17, 2023

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Sylphosaurus posted:

The more I´ve seen of this game I feel that the developers probably should have had the entire setting in an unexplored area of the galaxy and then shut off the access to Sol, like Eve Online did with it´s backstory with the shut down jump gate. It would have been a far more plausible explanation to why we can´t visit a still living Earth and also made the sparse cities seem more sensible, since we are basically in a cut off area of Humanity´s expansion.

it's weird that like, literally nobody lives on earth when there's bases on other random lifeless rocks

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

8one6 posted:

Let's assume 8 billion people on Earth when the atmosphere started sputtering away. Per the lore it took 50 years before Earth was uninhabitable. That's 160 million a year (assuming everyone stopped having kids during this apocalyptic scenario).

The largest ocean going passenger ship right now has a maximum capacity of just under 7k so let's assume Starfield NASA was able to design a ship to move 10k humans.

So 16k launches a year.

A little under 44 launches a day, every day, of a cruise ship sized vessel, for 5 decades.

Honestly I'd call bullshit if the lore said even a billion people got off the Earth in those 50 years.

I'd have expected a huge effort to build biodomes or sealed arcologies or underground habitats if for no other reason than not everyone who was stuck on Earth was going to just lie down and die.

I'm also surprised by the lack of like archeological expeditions or quests to loot the hope diamond from the ruins of the Smithsonian or the Mona Lisa from the Louvre. They did loving nothing with the earth beside a handful of snow globe quests.

in retrospect its really weird that in 50 years nobody built any habs underground or otherwise. Guess I'll die says 8 billlion people as they sit on their rear end. Apparently the homestead on titan was around before poo poo went south so it's not like they didn't have the tech

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
NG+ it's really funny that the reward for achieving enlightenment and transcending the universe is a complimentary spaceship, a space suit, and an invitation to play pubg for eternity in the same timeframe.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

RandomBlue posted:

End game story question but did I miss something or does this ending make the entire story pointless? The goal is just to get all the artifacts and power to keep other people from getting them and that's it? Just do that forever? So in this game you're already dead and in hell.

Yep. Now do it 10 more times

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

It's worth $15 for the game pass

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

site posted:

Before I realized they were pointless, whenever I went to a civilian outpost poi there would always be at least one building with the airlock open and npcs without suits on

my favorite are the inexplicable kitchens on airless planets that don't have air locks. Just gonna smoosh my chunks into my visor and hope for the best

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
My actual favorite thing is the tourguide on titan and the propaganda museum under MAST. Just fun bits of writing and making bill's day by giving him a big tip. I should have had the option to tip him a couple thousand its not like i don't have absurd amounts of wealth on me at all times

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Experimental Skin posted:

Starfield Turrets: Are they stupid or am I?

So I figured out the default placement angle issue. They don't fire at all unless I face them forward in the builder.

Next, I can't fire them manually to trigger combat. I watch UC loose half their fleet in a battle and have them yell at me for not joining in. I add one fixed gun so I can trigger combat.

Bearing in mind I'm the UC Generalissimo, next I warp into a battle of UC vs Crimson, and my turrets automagically destroy both sides. Now no one ever survives and the game is good again.

Turrets will nick some rear end in a top hat UC cop in a fight and get your companions pissed off at you because the dumb cop got in your line of fire.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-engineer-spends-100-hours-on-an-impressive-factory-to-show-off-the-outpost-builders-potential/

All you rubes saying out posts are bad better look at this and despair

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Look the workaround to not having foundations is simple just remove the building limit and place 3000 floor mats

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Fallout 4 has less wasteland than starfield checkmate

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Turin Turambar posted:

A question. Did the old Elder Scrolls writers moved on and left Bethesda time ago? Because I can't believe the Morrowind writers also wrote this setting.

Emil pagliarulo has been the lead writer since Skyrim.
Emil can be generously described as a hack and thinks Father from fallout 4 is a deep and sympathetic character

He also hates players doing things he doesn't like which is why quests keep getting more railroady over time

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

hobbesmaster posted:

You need all 4 levels of habitat whatever for Venus, don’t you? The easy answer would be that they had tech for the equivalent of level 0 for that skill until after Earth died.

…except new homestead is cold isn’t it?

new homestead is both cold and without atmosphere and was made during the whole earth thing.

Really should have just blown up the earth and put the thing on the moon, much less messy

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Jack B Nimble posted:

As far as I know, no, and yeah you're absolutely right, it's completely baffling. Maybe it was something they had to curtail?

Like, it doesn't even make sense that the launch pad is there. why? why did it survive in that desolate wasteland? my layman's knowledge of NASA says there should be a big complex nearby?? actually, why the gently caress is NASA black mesa and a museum built into the launch scaffolding??

My unironic best guess is that starfield is inside a really lovely simulation

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Wrex Ruckus posted:

yes but you see he simply cared too much about his workers, and just did a little murder in order to keep them employed... perhaps the truth is in the middle?

Excuse me That man is a job creator :colbert:

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

VostokProgram posted:

honestly it's loving weird that NG+ gives you a ship and special suit. It has no in-universe explanation at all. Is God playing battle royale with his sandbox toys

Starfield takes place within a particularly jank instance of pubg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I saw that fallout 76 had 20000 more players than starfield and had a good chuckle