Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Take this with a grain of salt, as it's Uncle @ Nintendo levels of unverified. My understanding is the game design director failed in several significant ways; e.g., didn't articulate a clear & compelling vision, didn't rally the team around that vision, and didn't give actionable feedback (and/or took too long to deliver). It scans with the results, at least; there's potential in some areas, but individual components are flat and the overall vibe is bland. Interested to see if some proper investigative reporting surfaces in the coming months.

The New Game Plus idea is inspired on an essential level. (Endgame) Folks make new characters in Skyrim all the time; why not bake that into the mechanics and make it the "same" character with a progression path? However, for it to succeed, all the core game systems need to support it, to give reasons for doing it. And those reasons don't really exist.

More and more I'm convinced Skyrim was lightning in a bottle for Bethesda. Vikings and zombie vikings and mountains and snow and dragons and shouts and compelling voice actors and the underground and on and on. All that poo poo is dope. The combination speaks to folks on a primal level. Space exploration should, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

My hope is someone at Bethesda is pitching (or has pitched) a shift in future release strategy. Instead of the Skyrim/FO4 model of DLC, look to an expansion like Reaper of Souls or The Taken King. Go all in, be bold, make major changes. It's risky, but someone with a passionate and articulate vision (like Josh Mosqueira had with RoS) has a way of reinvigorating a problematic project. Folks who were previously disappointed are now excited, and their work will reflect that excitement.

Do I think it's likely? Not at all. Historical trends say otherwise. But I didn't predict RoS's quality, either. These kinds of things are long shots up until they're not. In the meantime, I'll keep playing other stuff and not think about Starfield too much.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Actually, have you considered how hard it was on the exec

Ybarra continues to be a total clown. Contributed to XBOX's runner-up status for decades, failed upward at Blizzard (really only because J Allen Brack fell on his sword after the abuse stories broke), mishandled the aftermath internally, probably had an unethical hand in MS's acquisition of Activision Blizzard King (which led to thousands of layoffs)... and now defends his crony who just ejected hundreds more workers into an already-overcrowded job market

Hopefully that was his last job in the industry. Dude torched more than enough lives as is