Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My biggest initial concern is that "Fallout 4 but in space" doesn't excite me as much as "Skyrim but in Space", and it's looking like the former rather than the later. Imagine if instead they'd cribbed "magic" off of Mass Effects Biotics, and what that frees up in the aesthetic and gameplay.

Of course I'll play it, and I'll try to reserve judgement until I know more, but the first impression is that this is the combat/gunplay core loops of Fallout 4, and I'm not excited by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's true, and I'm being hypocritical because I simultaneously don't want all combat to be gunplay, but also want a harder sci fi setting. I suppose even Fallout 4 did have some melee?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/1sGqTX4HZIM

A pretty positive video that talks generally about the recent gameplay demonstration. Not a moment to moment breakdown, a broader discussion of Starfield vs No Man's Sky vs previous Bethesda games. Honestly leaves me considerably more positive on the game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The FastTravelHater logging on here, and let me tell you just how many real hours in my actual mortal life I'm going to waste invest in flying through space and listening to smooth jazz like I'm on the Bebop.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly, they've talked about returning to some previously dropped conventions that they now feel are more broadly accepted, and they explicitly cited backgrounds, skills, etc. But maybe all Daggerfall style Big World.
It really could be a No Man's Sky style world, with one bespoke site, three rather generic modular sites, and then if you want to just Start Walking you'll encounter radiant stuff. And, you know what? I'm hear for that. There's a background to start with a house on a "small moon" and I'm hoping it can still be a sizable backwoods I can explore, not small like something from Outer Wilds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding ship combat, my personal hope is to abandon the cockpit and rush to a buble turret, like in the millennium falcon.

I want to fly a rickety old cargo hauler and treat combat like a regrettable hazard of being a star trucker.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

and elite and nms you absolutely can walk around an entire planet and return to the same point.

About how long does that take, do you know?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I get what you're saying but there's no end to this kind of question; like, from another perspective, why does one person (the player) try to clear a building occupied by hostile forces, that's absolutely positively something you can't do.

Why is there a top break shotgun (or any shotgun in a world where the AR has existed for centuries)?

Honestly, the same reason there are any today irl: people like them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
IIRC Starfield will have both "things you buy into when you level" and "improvement through use", so don't panic if some of the buffs look very generic, that's probably the "boy you sure do like pistols" benefits

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The problem I think is that I hate systems where guns don't go where you aim them until you level them up

How do you feel about games like Daggerfall or Morrowind where your melee attacks can just miss or your spells can fail? Not saying you're a hypocrite, just asking if similar but not identical mechanics hit the same for you at an intuitive level.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I spent a looot of time staring at the CP skill chart trying to find anything interesting to take after I'd knocked out the few good choices.

Notably, I had the same problem with Fallout 4 but the horizon overhaul fixed that, and it's the inevitable Requiem/Horizon style over haul that has me salivating.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's one reason I'm excited for Starfield having both per level builds and per use perks; it'll give modders two different levers to pull.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think a lot more could be added to a sci fi FPS RPG if it was willing to make the various projectiles be relatively slow moving "energy" protective, things that can be dodged, can have all kinds of different attack types, etc. Low waves you jump over, attacks that target your location, pause a moment, and then land a huge hit scan, etc etc. Hit scan isn't a very broad palette. This was known circa, like, Doom 1.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

can't wait to see what CBBE mods do with the space suit thing

They're going to turn the NASA esque semi rigid enclosures, which have more in common with Fallout power armor than normal clothes, into skin tight cat suits and they'll do it with zero self awareness and like minded idiots will praise them for having more artistic vision than Bethesda, and it'll be the sort of thing that makes me set my teeth a bit when people say that Bethesda makes a bad game that modders save.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like to explore large procedural generated areas, so I'll like the base game. And then, when that vast procedural wilderness becomes a blank canvas for modders to insert custom locations without stepping on each other's toes, I'm going to love it.

I bet someone makes a meta mod that takes all your custom locations and randomly assigns them each to a unique planet on every playthrough.

Edit: a big problem in, say, valhiem, is once you're done with the black forest biome there's no reason to park your boat at the next black forest, or the one after that, etc, because they're all the same. Starfield shouldn't have that problem because SOME of these planets will be sprinkled with semi custom content, and that's all the reason I need to see what's over the next hill.

This vast desert has a pirate ship parked on it, undergoing repairs, and all the pirates have loot, and loot in a elder scrolls game has some qualities to it that keep it useful in away [BLACK FOREST HARVESTABLES] don't.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right that's sort of what I meant, like they'll probably build some modular stuff that can populate on a planet, it would be an expansion of how they've always been building dungeons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I also did shitloads of building in fallout 4.

Like most people Sanctuary was my big settlement, but what I most fondly recall was meeting a single family living like courage the cowardly dog in some isolated shack that looked like it could be overrun by the first pack of ghouls to wander in, and giving them a higher standard of living - some pipe turrets, food and water, a better house etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, everything I just said about settlements was actually in the context of the Horizon overhaul, which greatly increased the mechanics of settlements. But I expect the same thing to happen in Starfield so :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Since Starfield is going back to a silent protagonist, there should be a mod that changes your place in the world and quest lines; modders will use a combination of repurposed voice lines and AI generated new lines to create new quests and new choices in existing quests.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Interesting persuasion system.

I want the punishing mod fuel - bring me to a halt and waste my time. Waste it!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm interested in the possible starting locations, especially the one that gives you a little home on a small moon. I don't know if we're talking Kame House small or if I'll have a biome I can explore, but that's the kind of thing that's going to be fairly fun in the vanilla game and just nuts with mods. All these Bethesda games are strongly limited by what systems are in the base game - like fallout 4 and skyrim are very similar games but one has Vats and the other has Magic and that really sets the direction of where the mods go, so seeing things like alternate starts with property in vanilla is exciting.

The gameplay demo they've shown so far has strong fallout 4 gunplay vibes and I'm really really really hoping there's a magic analog, like how mass effect has biotics. That's probably my single biggest concern for the game because man I don't really want to play a Bethesda shooter again. I hope it AT LEAST has fallout 4 levels of melee.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so I might own a house in whiterun hold but i still start on the wagon going to Helgen, gotcha.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes! Exactly! There's a long tradition of having "basically magic" and just calling it psionics. I hope they're just playing their cards close to their chest and future videos will reveal:

Psionics
Laser/Chain Sword
Drones/Robots

Basically anything that's going to keep it from what happens to Fallout 4 where I reinstalled it just last month and was immediately sure that I was still tired of the gun play.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, the alien device stuff (reminds me of what little I played of Andromeda, even more than the original Mass Effect), opens the door to "magic", but there's hard sci fi options that still open the door to combat systems besides guns.

Look at Cyberpunk 2077's hacking; it's absolutely not magic but it IS a way you can build a character to engage in combat in a fundamentally different way.

Or, set aside the biotic from ME and look at the engineer; a combat drone to draw aggro and a flame thrower and electric shock on cooldown.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

central dogma posted:

Please let the protagonist be silent :pray:

It is, because when it comes to their AAA open world games Bethesda is actually a company that learns from (some of) its mistakes:

Daggerfall was a bland proc gen world so Morrowind was hand crafted.

People didn't like the hit system in Morrowind so Oblivion became more naturalistic.

Skyrim gave the game a more unique visual aesthetic in the architecture and landscape.

The gunplay is massively improved in F4 vs 3.

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-co...arlier%20today.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Originally, Starfield was supposed to release on November 11, 2022, but in May 2022 Bethesda announced that the space game is now delayed into 2023."

I'm going to play it, but I'm trying to brace myself for it feeling a lot more like Fallout 4 than Skyrim. Both games are better when modded, but when you consider either the vanilla experience or what mods can do, I'd say Skryim still has both a higher ceiling and floor.

I think part of it is the setting, the art deco faux realistic setting just wears thin in a way the relatively well realized province of Skyrim doesn't. I can only shoot ghouls in that town across the river from Boston, or super mutants in the downtown, or raiders in camps, so many times, but something about clearing out bandit camps, trolls caves, and Draughr crypts just stays fresh for me for so much longer.

I'm interested in seeing how it feels to have a ship you travel in, and if that gives a feeling of bringing your home with you in way neither Skyrim nor Fallout have.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 11, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bethesda does have a track record of saying "here it comes!" And it's shockingly soon. But OTOH this is their first SP tent pole after F:76 and their first new IP in decades so they may well be putting in a little extra time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm glad they're still pursuing romance. Four, huh? I'm guessing either one straight and one gay man and woman, or one straight man, one straight woman, one bisexual woman, and one non binary person?

Actually, I don't think the companions in fallout 4 cared about or recognized your gender, so maybe that's one of the changes?

Were people wearing space suits in the scenes in the main city?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I have to agree, this feels like looking for a "Great Man of History" style scape goat for a video game not being everything both the devs and the players might have hoped for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think the most telling bit there is where he reveals he's become a console gamer because it helps him mentally distinguish work from play, which I've anecdotally seen from lots of other people. I just hope it doesn't inadvertently lead to him diminishing the importance of PC, and by that I mean mods. Probably not, he has said more than once "someone will probably mod fuel in if they want it" which is a pretty accurate view of a situation where they tried something, it didn't really seem like it would mesh well for most people, but if someone wants to mod in a more punishingly immersive system, they can.

(It's me, I want to drift into planets gravity well when I run out of fuel).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm just holding my breath for "magic" to be in this game in some form. Just give me a play mechanic besides guns, please.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd say Alien is fairly grounded except for the titular alien, so stuff like that could still happen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It'll be ten god-damned years before Starfield 2 so please, by all means, delay this one as much as you need to if it gives us a better game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I am constantly returning to a truth about the elder scrolls games, and what it means for games about large open worlds more generally:

Daggerfall illustrates that size alone isn't what conveys a sense of exploration.

Daggerfall is the actual size of the UK, while Morrowind is the size of, what, Disney World? Except Daggerfall ISN'T actually that big in a practical sense because you travel to locations from a menu. In effect, Daggerfall is many (many) maps you just load up.

So, the smaller game actually feels larger because the trip from Seydna Neen to Balmora might be relatively compressed, but it's real, you can walk it - you can get lost, or notice something the tenth or even the hundredth time you've done it. That's fundamentally not going to happen in Daggerfall. What Daggerfall essentially has is Oblivion's or Skyrim's fast travel system with no option for wilderness travel/exploration.

You see the same thing in No Man's Sky. Is the game world big? Sure, I guess, it doesn't really matter, just watch the ship take you to another planet.

Speaking of the planets, there's a big problem Proc Gen games had - I've seen it in Daggerfall, in Valhiem, and in No Man's Sky - once you've seen SOME of an area, there's no reason to see MORE of it.

How much of the Black Forest Biome is in Valhiem? Who knows or cares, they're all the same (aside from the merchant). Sail for three days and nights towards the horizon and find a black forest, should you go there? No, because you have Black Forest Biome at home.

I'm really worried that the combination of riding a star ship (watching a disguised loading screen) and samey proc gen planets is going to lead to the same problem in Star field. CAN you go second star to the right and straight on till morning? Yeah, but you'll just find another Industrial World 2E.

"Curated" planets, which I think Bethesda is doing, can fix this, because you only need Industrial Planet 2E to have a few unique touches to solve the problem Valhiem has. So, I'm concerned but hopeful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, exactly, I'm worried it'll become a serious of discrete encounters with what is effectively a loading screen. Hell, Air locks are already loading screens!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've only played Daggerfall Unity and you CAN walk from one place to another because I tried it, but there's nothing there and no reason to - the game world is just a "height map" that loads in random trees and poo poo.

It might be technically possible to walk until you leave your city behind you but it doesn't mean anything for the gameplay.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
SP ESO with the numbers tweaked would be nice. You could probably say that about a lot of MMOs, either SP or co op.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Aside from being impatient to play it I almost don't care when it releases because, if I'm still playing it two, three, five years from now it'll be completely irrelevant.

Sure hope the new Microsoft involvement doesn't mean that week one sales are heavily scrutinized or something! Would like for this to not be the last Bethesda RPG!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not really keeping up with the increasing gameplay clips that are coming out - have we seen any combat mechanic besides fallout 4 era gunplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

I guess I never really listened to Todd Howard pre-release hype before but I don't really understand the hate he gets. He seems to genuinely enjoy making these games and for all their faults they're still some of the best games being made.

I seriously just think it's that poo poo where some people are never happy and get really vile towards the people making this poo poo they supposedly like. There's a lot about later Bethesda games I don't like but all of these videos show people obviously passionate about making great games, people just suck.