Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

3 was particularly bad. I had forgotten what Megaton looked like until I saw a screenshot yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Floor is lava posted:

I may be thinking of DLAA.

You're definitely not thinking of DLSS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

These people need to read what they're writing before they post it, lol. "TL;DR: Land anywhere," and in the main post, "land in one of three spots."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smoobles posted:

I've spent $200+ on Skyrims and I'm not ashamed to admit it

same but Starfield (-27 upvotes)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think people who can't imagine themselves spending hundreds of hours in that single location are the ones who have lost the soul of the gamer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're from Tyrone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zlodo posted:

cool, let's normalize paying 35$ for the privilege of playing a video game for the first 5 days after release

it will not encourage game companies to promote hype over substance

I preordered it on Steam for $99 USD

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I love this company. I love giving money to companies and acting like my meaningless donation to their big moneys will be seen and appreciated, extreme solidarity to the programmers and developers, who will never see a single cent of any of that money. Let's give a shout out and round of applause.

I do not respect developers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Earwicker posted:

i like the concept of base building but it was pretty janky in Fallout 4, mostly a pretty frustrating experience not something you can be really creative with.

Yeah it was a real struggle with keyboard and mouse and really not much better with a gamepad. Kudos to the people who could put up with endlessly scrolling through lists of stuff to put their settlement together.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

do you invert y axis for flight sims

thankfully they usually come with the correct setting by default

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol

Eurogamer just said they were deliberately withheld a review copy of Starfield so they haven't gotten the game at all. They've been in contact with Bethesda and Microsoft who are straight up refusing to budge.
DF has the game and they were strictly told by MS not to let Eurogamer play it.

That's shady as gently caress

https://www.eurogamer.net/eurogamer-and-bethesda-starfield

Owned

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you think this is bad you should see ResetERA, this company not giving review codes to some sites is apparently the gravest assault on the 4th Estate yet and harbinger of corporate fascism.

It’s like just don’t buy the game my dude. Or play it on Gamepass or whatever.

Just do anything else!

They are OWED early copies of the game because uh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

who the gently caress even wants to play Skyrim 2 over a long weekend? Bueller!!??

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's hosed up for the YouTuber. Me, on the other hand? I'll be starting this bad boy up 5 days before most.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Considering my 3080 struggles in a lot of games on high (not ultra) settings at 3440x1440 with DLSS, those performance numbers are worrying.

DLSS isn’t going to help you if you’re CPU bound, which games like this often are.

otoh performance might be better than you expect if you have an older GPU and a newer CPU.

My review starts at 0 and I award one point for each promotional action figure I receive. Your move, Bethesda.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A friend told me he preordered the game because I said you can’t truly appreciate these games unless you’re experiencing the wild-rear end bugs from the beginning and now I feel like a monster because I was just joking

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think Portal 2 released 40 minutes early because people did some potato thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Not sure if that means what you think it means

it does and that's they mean

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ship movements and crosshair aiming in space seem kind of stuttery and weird, despite having around 80 FPS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Philonius posted:

Why on earth would you do things this way? Do they really not give a poo poo at all?

Telling the voice actor at least something about the universe of the game and their character's place in it doesn't sound like too much trouble, for the uplift in performance they'll be able to give.

I mean, it's a videogame. The characters are animated plastic dolls placed somewhere in the uncanny valley, the writing is going to be average at best, so the voice acting is 90% of the character. Put some loving effort in.

Studios treat the existence of their games like top secret information and do stupid poo poo like this to try to prevent leaks. It's insane and unnecessary, and demonstratively leads to bad outcomes for their products.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

They specifically stated they did not help with the shooting aspect at all

What else does the Doom team have to offer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Couldn't tell dad I was gay; noped out at level 7

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Barreft posted:

Okay look, people who haven't researched this game thought that the whole 'You see that moon? you can go there!' was real. Yes if you're bored you can fly your ship around a generic pocket in space but it doesn't mean anything. If you wanna go to that moon? you have to enter a series of menus.

People are asking about a $70 game and it's bad to not tell them exactly what they're in store for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeLfMuX9ksw

My expectations were pretty low but I am honestly kind of shocked that this game doesn't actually have space travel or anything to do in space.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AndrewP posted:

BG3 is great but Starfield lets you tilt your head Up and actually look around, which is nice

Starfield: Better than dogs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat, theft in this game is as easy as breathing. You can basically clear out the gun shop in The Well right in front of the owner. Hell, the ammo on the wall isn't even marked as owned.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ymgve posted:

Do you actually have to carry them? I can't read them and don't know if there is a place to see where my current bonuses are, but it's so typically Bethesda if they force you to carry a ton of items with zero weight, cluttering your inventory, instead of just giving you a permanent boost on read. Like, you know, in earlier Bethesda games.

I found a magazine that permanently grants me a cooking recipe. It popped up a message in the top right corner when I picked it up. I dropped it and picked it up and the message showed up again.

I wasn't at my ship so I couldn't tell if I actually lost the ability to make the recipe when I dropped the magazine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sloppy portmanteau posted:

PSA: You can send stuff from your inventory directly to your ships cargo hold from wherever, and whenever you want!

From the main menu and in the "Ship" section, at the bottom there is your cargo hold. There you can transfer items just like with your companions.

Weird, I keep encountering menus where I *can't* do this and thought I had to be on board the ship to transfer. The "Store" button just isn't there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The free version doesn't do anything for me, but I think I might be limited by my CPU :rip:

I think it might just not do anything? I'm willing to give the paid version a shot, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I just installed the paid mod with DLSS Frame Generation and that poo poo about doubled my FPS on my 4080

Before:

After:

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's a Before/After for DLSS FG without me moving the mouse inbetween:

Before:

After:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scoss posted:

Does anyone have a guess about whether the PC gamepass version will be compatible with that DLSS mod?

I am betting that the gamepass release will be flagged as "moddable", but I honestly have no idea how the mod hooks into the game or whether it will play nice with some or all of whatever is sitting on nexusmods. My understanding is that when gamepass games are flagged as moddable then the file directory is openly exposed and you can freely drop files in, which I have done in the past for 7 Days to Die and Solasta and it worked fine. I don't know if something that toys with how the game works on a graphical level is some kind of higher order mod that works differently.

It works through reshade and doesn’t actually do any exe modding stuff so it will probably work

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lollerich posted:

I doesn't seem to work on the Steam version. Reshade version straight up crashes the game at the start. The version without reshade didn't do anything and the menu didn't come up when I press "End". The new version without reshade prevents the game from even loading.

And yes, I did read the instructions, I did install that other mod that is required as well as the dlss file. I did in fact install it exactly as required. It either does nothing or crashes the game.

I hope that either Bethesda will provide a DLSS patch or that there will at some point be better mod that actually works.

Also this game runs like rear end, or a pregnant cow stuck in molasses. It looks incredible and runs well, unless I move my mouse for some reason. Weirdly the game is a lot smoother when I move around using an XBOX controller, but gently caress using a controller in shooter game.

(yes, yes my PC exceeds the recommeded specs of course)

Worked for me. I’m using the Steam version.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

Hate giving a dude 5 bucks for a mod, but that frame gen mod is legit if you have a 4000 series gpu holy poo poo.

It is absolutely insane I can’t believe it loving doubled my frame rate

What’s even more insane is Bethesda didn’t ship the game with this

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 2, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kaddish posted:

The paid one? Might buy it when I get home

Yeah, with Frame Generation turned on. Once you activate it you don't need to subscribe anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

This is the biggest key binding troll I have ever encountered in video games. It has to be intentional, right? They're just loving with us

That got me so bad lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Pretty sure the UC are space Nazis. I joined them just to be sure...

You're gonna change'em

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I find out what crew skills do? There should be a tooltip in the crew assignment menu but there isn't.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Bethesda is the white guy of game development.

They can put out something mediocre with lots of bugs and issues, and people will applaud it and say those are features and give the game personality and they'll continue to get by on sheer mediocrity and cockiness claiming to be some amazing new thing when it's the same poo poo again and again.

Any other game company tried to pull poo poo like this, they'd get loving eviscerated, especially in a post CP2077 debacle world.

I love your analogy. Who's the blackest game developer? Is it Epic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I see POIs on planets that are really far away but they don't show up on the planet map when I'm in my ship. Am I stuck just running for several minutes to get to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I see POIs on planets that are really far away but they don't show up on the planet map when I'm in my ship. Am I stuck just running for several minutes to get to them?

Reposting for new page. Also, can I summon my ship to me or can I only fast travel back to it?