Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Azhais posted:

Bethesda's plots have the exact same problem every open world game's plots have. They give you this big ol world ending problem you should definitely be prioritizing, then you spend the next 14 years doing chocobo races while the demon invasion patiently waits for you to go warn the neighboring kingdom.

Someone murdered my partner and kidnapped my baby! Better go to Nuka World.
Demonic gates are opening all over the world and the forces of evil are invading cities, our only hope is if you take this amulet to Sean Bean! But those rats in the merchant's basement won't kill themselves!
Your father left the vault in the middle of the night and then the overseer tried to kill you, you need to go find him! But first I'll get abducted by aliens.

I hope the starfield plot is something really stupid like "You owe Pizza the Hutt one million spacebucks, go loot planets until you have it."

My father played 400 hours of Oblivion and did literally every bit of content possible before doing the first quest to drop Brother Martin off at wherever. Martin levels with you iirc and would use whatever stupid weapon you gave him. So my father would just specialize in summoning magic and go into every fight and sit there are his buddy Martin and conjuration put in the hard work. It was based and one of his favorite gaming memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

dr_rat posted:

It seems to be finding alien artifacts to hopefully find another intelligent alien civilizations, which as along as they don't add something like a "oh and the universe is going to end in a week if you don't find them aliens" or whatever, sounds like a very decent plot for an open world. Interesting enough that you might want to actually see it through, but not character specific, or immediately important enough that it makes no sense that no sane person wouldn't drop everything to complete it as soon as humanly possible.

They might actually be learning!!!

This would really open up some interesting potential ideas for sequels down the line if the hack writers are being franchise conscious.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm looking forward to this coming out, flaws and all. It's been a while since we had one of these. Not going to lie though, saying it takes 130 hours to really start a game feels like a red flag to me unless it's stories and gameplay have Godlike craftsmanship.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm about to start this game and looking at the settings after talking to the mining boss for five seconds. Am I the only one who immediately goes into settings to kill motion blur and drastically reduce film grain intensity? I've done it for so long I don't even know if its something worthwhile that I should give another shot or a timeless awful feature that for some people will always suck.

EDIT: No loving brightness options? So weird.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Its a constitutional thing. You hate film grain and you and your kind will never be okay with it.
Nobody understands or even cares why but that's how it is.

Thank you. What a blessing to live in a world where people can enjoy it either way.

I'm trying to catch up with the thread but is there a rough consensus on the rush NG+ or not idea? I usually just gently caress around with side quests forever, but if there's actually cool alternate dialogue I'm pretty down to do the opposite and beat the game and then do my traditional Bethesda experience. Either way has me literally slice apart the game and eat one part last, which I saw mixed talk about.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Thanks guys. I'm just going to play it normally since I predict between run one and run two will be a good deal of time in which stuff changes due to patches or other developments. Last question before my next question is that I'm getting conflicting info on traits and assuming they don't patch it to let you change NG+ I'd like to not, uh, pick some poison.

Is it true that you can get traits over time in the game, or are there ones that you either start with or will never get? I'm taking ma and pa, but gently caress this adoring fan unless I can't earn him in game. I want him, but not in place of something that will be gone forever.

Totally overthinking this.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I don't get how this game got to release without someone recommending either making "READ" the thing when you hover over a readable item or getting rid of the thousand million "NOTEPAD" or "JOURNAL" objects that literally are just deadweight.

EDIT: It just strikes me as so sloppy. I get wanting to start from scratch or whatever, but Bethesda games are Bethesda games and that's fine. It feels like there are so many steps backward in terms of little things as if there was a memo of "Don't have these QoL features, we did them in Fallout/Skyrim and can't be like our games have been" and then eventually they realized "Oh, these are the good things about our game people play them for".

EDIT EDIT: A thousand million notebooks in a world with datapads.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 11, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This sucks. Been starting to get into the game... but I crash every ten minutes or so. I've started timing it and haven't cleared 20 minutes yet without a crash. Followed all the stuff online and just don't even know what to do.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I just did some poo poo to my pagefile, which I'm unsure how big it should be set for 64 GB RAM. If this doesn't work it may be my first ever Steam refund.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

Not sure of your specific setup, but googling the issue, it seems people were encountering this if they had the game installed on an HDD, instead of an SSD. According to the minimum specs for the game, it requires an SSD, and apparently it means it.

An other common cause that I found online was people using XMP. Disabling it resolved their crashing issues.

Tried those two, unfortunately. Always been on an SSD, never had XMP on.

Velocity Raptor posted:

If neither of those apply to you, or you try them and are still getting crashes, you can dig into the Event Viewer (Win 11) (Win10) and see if you can find the error listed there to help you narrow down how to fix it.

It seems to say Application Hang the most if not all times:

code:
The program Starfield.exe version 1.7.23.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 60f8
 Start Time: 01d9e4f575d0585e
 Termination Time: 4
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starfield\Starfield.exe
 Report Id: 6ca5441a-8e18-4b1b-a20d-998e38c4a588
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown
Someone seems to have said Underclocking works? I don't quite know how to do that but if someone tells me the values to plug into my computer I'm down to try it. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super, 64 GB RAM.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 11, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

StarUI is so good for those of us who won't compromise our ideals to placate madmen and tyrants who tell us to "not pick up everything you loving see, jesus christ. No actually you didn't have to come to my place of work to tell me this" and so on. Being able to see how much I have of something on the buy screen means I can easily dump a bunch of stuff by picking up ammo I'm running short on or resources I don't have. Some of this ammo is fuckin expensive!

I'm considering StarUI. If playing a save with StarUI, will my saves not work if I get rid of it or an update comes out?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Finally got this to run for an extended time. It's fine, just kind of... bland. First companion is somehow more wooden and boring than the Minutemen guy of Fallout 4. Environments just seem kind of empty, lacking a lot of those weird personal quirky touches. On top of that it then feels like someone frantically threw junk notepads out to cover the fact there's not a whole lot of personality or documents I care about. The fact you automatically pick up any readable text, which have weight, really has me curious about the development of the game. So far a 7 but it's early early early.

They should have idk looked at areas where The Outer Worlds fell short compared to Bethesda games and made sure not to also fall short against themselves.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

What's strange is that for all the blah of procedurally generated content there's a lot of normal written content ( quests, NPCs, interaction stuff ) that seems... kinda phoned in or like it's a rough mock up for a game a while down the line? Fallout 4, my cup overfloweth with terminals. Here? They seem few and far between because everyone is writing stuff down in blank binders or notepads — ones I still need to approach every single time to make sure they aren't actual important text. I don't see how that isn't ground out eons back in play testing.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Still hateplaying this to some degree. There are flashes of fun stuff here and there that keep me coming back, but I just cannot get over just how dull everyone is. Hanging out with a nice-but-boring scientist lady in her forties, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. No one's got any edge to them, no tortured pasts, no mysterious groups chasing them, no amnesia, no secret that they're obviously hiding from us, not even any regular ol' personality quirks, even. I would absolutely kill to meet someone interesting at the moment.

So far it has felt like a just flat bland ride. Impressive in areas, but I can't think of a quest I've done in the last ten hours that I'll remember a year from now. Stuff like Mom & Dad jump out because you can tell someone cared and had an idea, and went for the camp cool thing. So much of this game is just forgettable people and science fiction environments that seem devoid of anything interesting or speculation. I get that it is NASApunk, but NASA is only cool imo because we don't have high concept science fiction space travel. It's like give me a Fallout where there are no creative factions and everyone is a dirt peasant at a player built outpost, because that is very grounded.

Honorable mention to the Vanguard recruitment propaganda/history museum. That poo poo was cool and gave me some sense of the Bethesda recent conflict backstory ( which is fine, it's not daring but it's a fine mold if other poo poo is vibrant ).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

It's a real shame the only interesting faction is virtually non-existent in this game

I'm really sad I took that trait at the suggestion of someone and have so far had like a dozen conversations about spirituality or the literal faction I was raised in where nothing came up.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

If there's one glaring sign of this game being empty it's the fact that no ones inventory is at all interesting. I spent my time maxing out Thievery only to realize that was a waste of points, especially because almost no one has an interesting gun to steal.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

It's kind of stunning. I'm not trying to poo poo on this game, which has some stuff that would make an interesting game better. Ledge climbing? Woah, easily something cool that would make exploring a cool game better. My jaw is almost on the floor opening up all the safety deposit boxes in a bank though, it feels so devoid that I'm confident Todd Howard never played this game for more than an hour. There's so much... clear emptiness that doesn't feel like it couldn't have been caught like a cancer early on. There's no cool Fallout passages or interesting things to find, which is like the thing Bethesda does. It feels like something that would have to be an intentional choice early on in design principals "keep it empty, make all the rooms full of nothing notable so you run around twenty minutes searching this hangar to discover it's a hangar of no name NPCs who are up to no no good".

Deformed Church posted:

"if this is a bachelor party where are your friends"
"i've been asking my therapist the same thing"

Seems like they put a lot of charm in people sitting out of the way who you don't really have a good reason to talk to, and then just forgot to put any in most of the main cast?

There are some bangers which kinda serve to make the game sadder. There's clearly people who had ideas or at the very least personality writing on this game, and they clearly were told they can do so because we won't let any of these people touch actually important stuff. Looking at you Muria Siarkiewicz.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 12, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

BinaryDoubts posted:

It's a shame that basically all of Earth's vibrant cultures have been completely discarded and replaced with a choice between American-California or American-Texas aesthetics. You'd think some groups, whether cultural or religious, could have survived. Like, there's no synagogues or mosques or anything that isn't one of the weird bland religions (and it's a shame, because I'd love to hear how Muslim spacefarers in Starfield would pray to Mecca, since it was an issue that's already been discussed even before Earth got nuked!) There's no sense of people mourning the incalculable loss of cultural heritage and biodiversity that was present on Earth, or even just a few people trying to keep the memory of their family's distant home alive in the future. It all feels very sad and empty to me, like one day everyone agreed to never speak of the art and music and beauty that's been swept away and replaced by corporate office parks and 3000 fracking stations. (Is there even a theatre or art gallery anywhere in the game? Do people make art in new and inventive forms? Or are we all just doomed to reread Dickens forever?)

Man this cool bit of info just makes me wish we had something neat/different like two passionate factions ripped off from real life in a large scale conflict. Almost anything is a lot more interesting than big empty procgen space, but space crusades would have been cool.

The incalculable loss of cultural heritage made everyone boring because the only survivors are people who decided a bunch of public domain high school novels are the height of culture. Did someone remember that uh great explorer era literature was an inspiration and decide to spam the world with free pre-written book excerpts to make it look less barren? I am dying to know what developers are saying off record. Twenty hours in it's better, bland, but playable and very occasionally neat.

CLAM DOWN posted:

man, Akila City gives me vietnam-style flashbacks to outer worlds, that first planet canned tuna town place

All the things that The Outer Worlds did that were not quite as good as Bethesda are done worse than The Outer Worlds in this game. I liked The Outer Worlds and felt a few mechanics/systems were a little so-so ( boring loot ), but Bethesda has really shown I was too harsh.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 13, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

Love taking snake worshipper so I can get such unique conversations like “You are not house Va’ruun.” “You know nothing of the great serpent”

I can't tell if this is saying that there are jack poo poo snake unique conversation lines or that there will be some. I've had almost next to none, even when talking about Va'ruun, and am kind of pissed I didn't get Adoring Fan or Private Planet since those are ones I'll never be able to get now.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

I’ve had three [snake worshipper] choices in 35 hours. There is a quest you do with a fellow snaker and the game doesn’t acknowledge that you worship the snake at all.

Such a gently caress you to players.

On the topic of things that blow, having to crawl through some boring NPC giving a tour of an environment that isn't interesting and also is pretty self explanatory is such a drag.

With how empty the landscapes are it dawned on me how important music is to Bethesda games, be it radio or whatever it was that Skyrim did to not have a quiet unstimulating ambiance.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I wish there was a dialogue history log so that I could go back and read whatever boring poo poo was said after I zone out.

Has no one at Bethesda ever watched an Oblivion/Skyrim player's eyes as they go from beating the Dark Brotherhood questline and take their first radiant quest? That dim "oh" as I realized that these are some shithole endless banal quests that are sucky the first time and also the same three souless things. I think that if Todd Howard did play 120 hours of this game he either is a craven liar or someone who functionally does not understand the thing people like about these games ( when these games are good ).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

This game seems to have a problem with not knowing when to stop with certain things. I walked into a weapons store in New Atlantis for the first time to sell some extra ammo for weapons I don't use and maybe see if I could upgrade. He went on for 6 or so pages (or whatever tf you want to call each of those boxes of dialogue) about how serious he was about the prices and how his merchandise was good. After the third box showed up with text, i just started mashing E to get through it.

Is it me or is the mid-convo line skip sluggish on this compared to Fallout/TES? It has me mashing it hard to get through lines enough that I have shot someone immediately after by over-clicking. Usually CheatEngine running this game at 1.5 or 2 times speed would make this feel better but however the game is set up causes crashes if I mess with speed.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Figuring out why this game looks so washed out and muddy is frustrating but after reading more online it appears my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (Dell) isn't a top of the line graphics card anymore.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I should never have trusted NVIDIA's suggested settings.

Here is me standing inside a room looking outside, a few feet from the open doorway.

Here is me having stepped one foot outside.

Stunning... no idea even what to call this other than the light and shadow hellscape walk experience.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I was having fun but amid the NVIDIA update and trying to improve my graphics or manage the mods seem to now have a game that is hard to look at.

space uncle posted:

I lowered the film grain and installed the DLSS and Neutral LUT mods and the difference is absolutely insane.

I have some screenshots in photo mode from my first 20 hours playing with default settings, and it looks like they are ancient JPGs that got printed at 100 DPI and then had Mountain Dew spilled on them or something.

What the gently caress Bethesda.

Is low display settings supposed to look this utterly lovely? If it is then, fine, but I can't tell if something else is wrong.

Here it is set to medium and not actively difficult to look at, but does have this weird streaking effect when this woman's head moves as seen in her exstacy blurred nose.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Some skills like piloting are good to get early because anytime you're killing ships without a level challenge open you're wasting kills. Same with lock picking. Getting stuff like those open finally is why the game markedly becomes more enjoyable 12 hours into it.

I just cheated to get the bullshit QOL perks I'd otherwise feel are an unfun waste to get. Biology? Nah, give me level 4 and then I'll see if I care about outposts.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

My game now has a glitch where in addition to showing the blue dot for the mission I have active... it has one for a mission that I don't have active. So very annoying.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

In the spirit of being positive about something in this game, the lockpick minigame is actually kind of fun/fine.

EDIT: I am sure after 3000 hours the lack of skeleton key will be more annoying to me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Aside from no cool sci-fi poo poo, meat chunks in foil, juice boxes for everything... what exactly about this is "NASApunk" and not just "space devoid of creativity"? It reminds me of The Outer Worlds but not leaning into the western aesthetic as much, not having anything camp or high concept, and lacking anything super super interesting.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I was very worried the temples would be procgen and boring as gently caress, but thankfully I've learned they instead are all the same, have no interesting elements, and actually frustratingly boring as I must wait for the super long door shield to close and then play sparkle float ball.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

It's so weird how devoid of basic cool or interesting poo poo and variety this game is given it for some reason contains a billion different space paperweights. Did the intern in charge of those items have passion and put in effort while the person in charge of like... most other things go through a bad divorce?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

I've finally got around to ship building and wow this thing sure is cumbersome!

As someone who has played around a lot with the ship builder in Galactic Civilizations 3 & 4, I was deeply unimpressed but very much unsurprised to see Bethesda make it clunky, give few options, and somehow work both grinding and chore travel into it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Only the four main companions having quests is such a gaping step backward. I would gladly trade a hundred of these boring planets I occasionally crawl 1000 meters across with my eyes glazed over for one Nick Valentine case. What a shame.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

i liked choosing attributes in character creation and not just having chores
knowing I've capped out non-cheating carry weight feels bad

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Valleyant posted:

Everyone keeps asking why starfield and never how starfield is feeling. :negative:

I tried to do ng+ but even with the one light temple mod it's just so boring. Hey wanna go to copy pasted dungeon? wanna do it 6 times???

by dungeon do you mean circular black room
because for me it's never more visually or intellectually stimulating than that
its like someone made a tech demo for their low gravity simulation and todd howard said "poo poo this is humanity at the edge of the universe level epic, can you add second life particle effects?"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think it's clear there was no focused vision on what NASApunk actually is other than "inspired by NASA" and no development bible about the themes, wonder, and concepts explored in the game. Go back and read anything Todd Howard said and tell me it doesn't read like Elizabeth Holmes, or more generously, me after I've blown off a project but rushed together the good start I had into something 'presentable'.

Tankbuster posted:

everyone is now pretending that they were just walking all across skyrim instead of abusing fast travel.

My father, now 69, clocked 400 hours in Oblivion and 250 in Skyrim ( part of that is he isn't super quick and also just grinds ). It was only a couple years ago when he started playing Witcher 3 that I explained to him all three of those games have a fast travel system.

The Lone Badger posted:

The rich and powerful refused to allocate any funding for underground cities when it could instead be spent on more spaceships to carry their cronies. The 8 billion people that died were the ones that couldn't afford a ticket, and the people that could were happy to reduce the surplus population.

Starfield's setting is extremely bleak, but it does explain why the future is comprised of American techbros and every other culture has disappeared.

wait is this actually in the lore? im 80 hours into this game and have yet to hear anyone bring up anything as interesting/notable as this. it's all been "blah blah im from star system 1 moved to start system 2 to farm dirt, goodbye". if true that's hackish and overdone writing on their part

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 18, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Rock Puncher posted:

the steam forums for this game have way tighter combat

thank you todd for pissing off all the worst people

lmao someone who's chief complain being the game's homely women and not literally everything else about the game and then the men and women of this universe's vast fugliness

Does the tree ever attack? Did I just do a whole bunch of errands to finish a quest that literally was just a guy talking in front of a tree about how Big Things™ are happening and going to turn sour if we don't fix the tree?

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 18, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

FFT posted:

Weapon skins.

It better fuckin' be weapon skins.

Has anyone run into a single loving weapon skin in the base game?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Being told that I can't meet the High Council because I'm a non-believer, even though I took the trait, really doesn't ever stop being a careless gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Paradiso mission is the first real huge science fiction concept I've seen this game tackle and also, unfortunately, one of the biggest 'forced conflict' plots in the game.

Also the message about strawberries seems to be an incredibly subtle reference to The Caine Mutiny.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 20, 2023