Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
somehow I missed the news that Space Fallout/Skyrim was being made and released. I'm now very excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

everyone in this thread hateplays it lol

I loved Skyrim, Morrowind, and every main Fallout game. I also put hundreds of hours into Daggerfall and Oblivion despite their many flaws. I'm confident that I'm in the target demo for this game no matter how uneven and buggy it is. Hope springs eternal!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

So. Is it worth buying, even on sale? Sounds pretty rote and lifeless a la Fallout 4.

I'm a big Fallout and Elder Scrolls fan and I'm enjoying Starfield very much despite the valid criticisms. It scratches my Bethesda itch very well and I'm happily working my way through my second playthrough. Working on storylines I didn't do the first time, stumbling across new sidequests, etc. I haven't even touched companions yet; I typically play all the Bethesda games as a stealthy lone wolf.

I give the game a B right now; I just wish the Xbox crashes were eliminated.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm about 60 hours into the game and still happily chugging along, visiting systems for the first time and blowing away pirates with the solid & satisfying combat mechanics. There's a lot of flaws that I believe can/will be fixed in the future, but for now it's a solid 8/10 game with a lot of potential.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah the environmental protection and status effects need to be fixed. I can hang out in hard vacuum and near absolute zero all day long, but if I walk around in snow or cold rain for a few minutes I get hypothermia. Or if I walk through a cloud of inert gas I burn my lungs inside my spacesuit.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
it appears that Goons universally hate this game. that's okay, I'll keep playing that garbage

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

space uncle posted:

Oh wow this vendor only has 1000 credits I get to carry my 600 pounds of garbage to the next loving guy.

the worst part of Bethesda games. figure it out already you idiots

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
All you need is an Advanced Beowulf. Once you find one in the first few hours of NG+ you're good to go. Slap on a silencer, semiauto, reflex sight, etc.

There really needed to be at least a half dozen more laser weapons.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Man I loved Daggerfall as a kid, despite the giant randomized dungeons. Games used to be so much harder and with almost no in-game guidance. Also there were pixelated boobs. Big thumbs up.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
This game has a lot of flaws and things it could/should have done better. That being said, it still grabbed me and I have over 200 hours played. Currently on my 6th NG+ and I'm finding new POIs and ways to roleplay. For instance, on this NG+ I was excited to find the Hunter had already killed everyone in Constellation including myself which was the perfect opportunity to play as a baddie, which I never do in Bethesda games.

I did some crimes right off the bat to get arrested and went right into the Crimson Fleet questline. Now I just fly around killing and spacejacking people with no ties to anyone or responsibilities. It's made me understand and sympathize with the Hunter more than I had previously. I'm treating everyone and everything as a cynical means to an end, just like he taught me. And I ran into the Starseed quest and Vulture's Roost which were both new to me after 200+ hours.

There's a lot of meat on this bone despite the issues and all the negativity.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2024

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
that's okay, I'll still keep playing that garbage

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Iacen posted:

What sort of new POIs did you see? Because I got real tired of the identikit Abandoned Robotics Facilities, all with the same person having been crushed under a catwalk.

Besides Vulture's Roost I finally ran across the rare abandoned mining platform full of spider alien babies and their mommy as well as several variants of derelict station/ship I hadn't seen yet.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I just started NG8 and also I just passed 250 hours played and you can't stop me :xickos:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Galbank ships have only a tiny bit more money than regular ships. what the hell is that?? It's a bank ship, that's when piracy is supposed to be good you idiots!!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I will also note for anyone who, for some inexplicable reason, wants to experience the "weird" variant universes for themselves, it's decided when you go through Unity so reloading a save right before doing the last warp jump will let you reroll it (as long as you're on NG+2 or later, I think NG+1 is forced to be a normal one). You can tell if you're going to get an abnormal one or not right after you go through the Unity if you land right back at the tutorial mining colony-- if Barret and Lin are still there, it's a normal universe; if it's abandoned, it'll be a variant.

There's an even simpler and faster way to tell. When you appear in the new universe on board your spaceship, you will automatically start the main quest and get the first notification. If the quest describes your initial destination as "(Mast District)" then it's a vanilla universe. If those two words are missing then it's one of the variants. This is the easiest way to find variants.

There is one exception, and it's the only variant I haven't played. It's a variant where you show up to meet the Constellation gang and your doppelganger is already there. You can recruit yourself as a companion, and this is the only way to do so. This variant has the typical "(Mast District)" description so you have to travel all the way to Constellation HQ and get really lucky.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vasudus posted:

The easiest way is to just use the console command right before you go into the unity to set the next universe to a specific one.

I'm a filthy Xbox player

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've been one of the biggest Starfield fans/apologists in this thread, having played ten NG+ to try out all of the variants and RP different playstyles/faction choices in each. But I'm finished with the game and I can't believe they haven't released DLC and the CK yet. A complete bag fumble. So much wasted potential and bad design choices, and yet I gave the game 90 hours.

I started my first Skyrim playthrough in 6 or 8 years and wow I forgot how great that game is.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Daggerfall's dungeons were SO BAD though.

I had an intense love/hate relationship with Daggerfall's massive nonsensical dungeons back when I was in middle school.

I loved doing massacres on town guards by backing away from a pack of them and swinging my sword while they all yell HALT HALT

also there were pixelated boobs. truly a high point in my life. im actually not sure if I ever beat the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah the derelict ships and Mantis base come really close to what I hoped this game would be. I wish the other 98% was as interesting and curated.