Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

have they said if you can land "anywhere" on a planet or do you always land in certain "landing zones" so you'll be near the quests and shut

i'm totally okay with procgen because the procgen in NMS has gotten quite good, and the graphics are a lot more detailed in this

They mentioned you can land anywhere but we don't know exactly what that means yet. Is it still an instanced proc-gen zone? Or will the world be truly open where you can land on one side and walk to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Outer Worlds was boring, it was a Bethesda open world knock off without any of the janky charm. It's only selling point it had the writers of Fallout New Vegas but in the few hours I played I found the writing to be very meh. I bounced off it hard.

Starfield actually looks pretty interesting, I wasn't expecting 100+ systems with thousands of planets. Who knows how that actually plays out beyond resource nodes but I'll play it regardless.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Theotus posted:

Bethesda games scratch a certain itch in my brain so I will buy and play this game.

:yeah:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got Division vibes from the shooting bits they showed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also wanna know if I can be a space trucker. One of the ships they showed off that you could design kind of looked like a cargo hauler.

Edit: Specifically this one

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 13, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They didn't explicitly show that so probably not. It'll likely be a cut scene.

Some games do that like Elite and Star Citizen (lol)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you're almost certainly going to be one of the only people in the universe who has visions when they touch the artifacts, hence why the main explorer faction needs you specifically

whatever just ignore those dorks and join the cool pirate faction

apparently there are boarding actions and you can steal other ships so hell yeah

One of the NPCs in the trailer asked if you too see visions when you touch the artifacts, so not the only one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

i may have misinterpreted the trailer, but i thought they said something about whoever found the thing first had the vision, but after that nobody else would experience one. could be mistaken, though, maybe only certain people are dragonborn, er born under a certain sign to uncertain parents, er attuned to them.

Timestamp scene here. Sounds like it only happens when one is discovered but the vision isn't unique just to you? Overall the story sounds less "save the galaxy" and more of a "discover an ancient alien race" but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb2FJGvnAw&t=424s

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FishMcCool posted:

I think so too, but completionism is a disease, and those affected by it won't be able to refrain from scanning every square inch of every single planet for no good reason and accept every radiant quest while complaining loudly that it isn't enjoyable.

This is a Bethesda game, nothing is going to stop people from saying how awful the design and writing is well they have 300+ hours logged on Steam.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think they've been pretty clear about it, look at Howards ice ball comment above. Most reasonable people are going to hear "1000 planets" and presume that means mostly proc-gen and understand that the majority of them are just going to be resource/mission grind sinks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Personally I think a lot more could be added to a sci fi FPS RPG if it was willing to make the various projectiles be relatively slow moving "energy" protective, things that can be dodged, can have all kinds of different attack types, etc. Low waves you jump over, attacks that target your location, pause a moment, and then land a huge hit scan, etc etc. Hit scan isn't a very broad palette. This was known circa, like, Doom 1.

Check out Returnal.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this, Returnal is extremely good, and it's apparently coming to Steam at some point in the near future.

Oh that's good to hear. I wouldn't say it's underrated because anyone whose played it loves it, it just hasn't gotten nearly as much audience as it should. It's all around just such a fantastic game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably just wait until it comes out and then play it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can Starfield craters fit the entirety of Skyrim inside them?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It would have been very funny if the game was releasing today and this thread was silent for almost a month proceeding it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would guess the earliest we see it is Fall 2023 at this point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really follow any of the hype leading up to Oblivion and it turned into one of my favourite games when it released.

It was me, I bought the horse armour.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda hyped for this, I want to play a Bethesda game again.

Release dates mean almost nothing these days so I fully expect this to get pushed to next year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess I never really listened to Todd Howard pre-release hype before but I don't really understand the hate he gets. He seems to genuinely enjoy making these games and for all their faults they're still some of the best games being made.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

:raise:

Hes been the talking head and face of Bethesda for well over 20 years, its not surprising that has garnered a group of people who don't like him. Do you call people who make fun of / dislike Chris Roberts or Musk the same?

I would not put Todd Howard on the level of a Chris Roberts of Elon Musk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

I am not in the sense of character or accomplishments, but as making themselves the face of a company.

Chris Roberts and Elon Musk have good reason to be ridiculed where as Todd Howard just seems like a guy who genuinely likes making these janky games. No he doesn't need to be your best friend but I don't really get why he seems to garner so much criticism when his games have been incredibly popular for 3 decades now.

Maybe he's over promised stuff and that could upset people, idk I haven't really followed him but I don't get that impression from the Starfield videos so far.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kingdom Come: Deliverance I would say is comparable to a Bethesda open world game but it was also very janky on release. It kind of came out of nowhere though and I'm really looking forward to their next game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

those devs went bankrupt, there was a ton of drama. but THQ nordic has the rights to it now so maybe they will make another one.

Oh huh I had no idea, I figured the game sold pretty well.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the details but I think people were asking why there were no people of colour in the game and the guy just absolutely went off about how historically (it's set in historical 1403 Bohemia) there where very few PoC in the region at that time. But like instead of just saying that it was historical he went way too far with it. Someone else can probably explain it better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

oh wait, kingdom come deliverance, i was thinking of kingdoms of amalur

That one was run by a different racist!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The settlement stuff for Starfield looks promising, like if they can flesh out what they did for FO4 it could be pretty neat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still have 2 bottles of Nuka Cola Quantum that Jones Soda produced for the Fallout 4 launch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna own. I'm hyped.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cargo hauling seems like it'll be a thing since you can slap a bunch of shipping crates onto your ship.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna get this game regardless but yesterdays direct really got my hyped for it, there's just a lot of cool details and the ship building looks really neat. Sounds like planets will have full day/night cycles too? Some of the scenes standing on moons/planets and watching a sunrise look really fantastic, the lighting in this game looks great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't be an rear end

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like 2560x1440 is the sweet spot of looks great and isn't a huge performance hit. 4k just doesn't seem worth it for video games yet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I do not understand the poo poo Bethesda games get. Like yes they're janky but there really is no other games out there like them and they're fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't all that excited about the ship building before but I didn't realize they were meant to be a mobile base you can walk around in. Seems pretty neat you can make giant weird space ships with crew members.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, I'm gonna dial back the facetious sarcasm here because I'm genuinely curious why people like Bethesda's games, because I honestly don't understand.

Can you elaborate on that?

Because I've played a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 and I can't say that at any point I've personally felt immersed and from my perspective all of those games handled the aspects required for me to feel immersed very poorly.
The characters are always animated really awkwardly. Staring into the camera with the same stiff look.
The voice acting is always Gothic-tier, save for a couple of main story characters that are slightly better directed, but those are also get very little screen time.
The gameplay is always clunky.
The games are always buggy.
And the writing is super generic and flat.

I genuinely don't understand what qualities Bethesda games have that people find immersive.

Why did you play a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 if you didn't like them?

For me it's the world build and the dynamic nature of all the systems and yes that includes a healthy amount of jank when you do something unexpected. You can have a quest to go kill some ghouls in an abandon super market and along the way come across 5 different side quests or places to explore and it's easy to just get sucked into exploring detailed worlds and finding stuff to loot.

Base building in FO4 wasn't great but I think they are iterating on it better in Starfield so I'm interested in building bases on scenic planets/moons.

Combat is satisfying to create broken/fun builds like stealth archer, battle mage or power armoured mega tank. One shotting a goon from across the map with VATS is fun, Fus Ro Da'ing a wolf off a cliff is fun.

Being able to loot everything or kill random NPCs in the world makes the world feel more permanent and changeable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lame they gated early access behind a $40 premium upgrade.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

How else would you suggest they gate it? If they didn't gate it it wouldn't be early access, it would just be the release date.

Then make it the release date. Other games have done this same thing, sometimes it's just used as a pre-order incentive and it doesn't cost extra.

I'm not gonna make a big stink out of it, I already pre-ordered the game I just don't want to spend an additional $40 to play it early. It's clearly an up-sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna play this tomorrow