Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

contraband would be worth it if a gun dropped by dead space raider #42069 didn't sell for way more

Commandeering spaceships, too.

I could steal a ship and sell it for like, 8000 credits after I do loving DMV paperwork, or I could sell the guns I took off the crew for twice that. I don't get why you can't sell ships at The Key, the place full of Rated-PG Pirates, without doing the DMV paperwork and maybe, maybe make piracy in some way profitable.

1glitch0 posted:

but even the most annoying companion in OW is more interesting and compelling than any of the ones in Starfield.

The companion characters were so much better. They had actual arcs that tied into the setting in substantial ways (Vicar Max and his struggles with Weird Corporate Catholicism was really good). I honestly can't tell you anything about the characters of any of the Starfield companions besides "They whine a lot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It almost certainly had a lot more systems in place for things like fuel/travel that were unceremoniously ripped out because they weren't fun.

I like how they couldn’t even avoid ripping a system out incomplete. I thought for like 10-15 hours I had to buy fuel and was trying to find where I could actually buy it. There’s still mentions of it in the UI and the vanguard and early constellation quests are just riddled with people being like “take this money for Space Gas”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

"I never considered that "the modders will fix the game" only works if modders want to fix the game.

Bethesda really did half rear end this one more than usual though. A lot of the planets I landed on didn’t even feel like anyone had given them a once-over, just generated them and put them in the game. There’s nothing in here that hasn’t been done better by games that have existed for so long they’re pretty much universally available for ten bucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

It's more about your time than the cost. I didn't pay anything and wouldn't recommend it. At the same time, glad I saw it for myself so I didn't have any lingering curiosity. You can truly get a feel for what the game will be like within the first hour or 2 if you wanted to do a steam 2 hour refund rental.

Agreed with the first part, disagreed with the second. The game grabbed me hard at first by throwing me at the one quest that was well put together and then had me chasing the dragon thinking it would be good again for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

are you joking or do games actually have to win a literal goty award somewhere in order to say that? i thought it was just a marketing thing, especially since there are usually many games released in a given year that end up with a "goty edition"

I remember when games at least did have a list of all the awards they won on their GOTY edition- I think the DX box is where I first heard about BAFTA when I was like 12. Now though it’s definitely just shorthand for “game+some/maaaaybe all the DLC”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The mantis ship spooking spacers is terrible, reactivity wise. When I was doing the CF storyline I’d hear people in the key constantly talking about how they’d love to get their hands on the Mantis.

I was in the Mantis armor, and arrived in their ship, which is the only ship in the game that anyone recognizes. It wouldn’t have annoyed me at all if it wasn’t for the fact that there is only one ship in the entire game people recognize and that recognition is exclusively siloed to some random encounters despite there being other places where it should be recognized. Either have it or don’t, the half-measures this game takes are so loving annoying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

It's weird because it feels like you can see the outline of something cool that just isn't actually in the game. Mostly what is there feels like a rough draft, except it's in the final game, after a year's delay.

There are a lot of bits and pieces I enjoyed, but nothing really cohesive and no consistency to the quality of the quests.

This is why it’s such a frustrating game to play. You can see they could have made a good game but just didn’t. The UC Vanguard quest is what the whole game really should have been and it’s loving incredible a large side quest is the only thing in the game that feels like it matters at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This, specifically, is a thing I'm complaining about.

"You're the Mantis, feared pirate hunter, but only in random encounters" is not actually that fun of a mechanic. They made the decision not to prevent the player from engaging in the CF content while dressed as the Mantis/using the Mantis ship, intentionally. Just like how there's "faction armour" except it exists only in maybe two places in the entire game, you never actually try to use the mechanic because it's not implemented anywhere outside of these little scripted mission segments. There are a bunch of bits and pieces of mechanics that are sort of half there, but then implemented in the narrowest possible way, or only in very specific scripted set-pieces, rather than the game as a whole.

Also, similar to this, the early quest where they tell you to power down your ship to sneak by the Va’Ruun… which isn’t a mechanic in the actual game because you’re always getting attacked from when you jump in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A lot of the game feels like someone was visited by the Good Idea Fairy late in development and had the idea for NG+. The essential NPCs are still everywhere and nothing reacts to your choices, which tracks with Bethsoft’s “The player must not be able to lock themselves out of content” thing before implementing an NG+.

Most of the main quest is proc-gen as hell compared to the faction quests, and then the NG+ makes part of the game that does work (the ship building) feel pointless. I get nuking the ship but seriously, let me keep the design. Those take waaay too much time and effort for me to ever want to do an NG+ again. Well, if I ever play the game again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LostRook posted:

According to this rather extensive review/analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOhCjB0AEI

The NG+ stuff was some of the first stuff conceived.

That makes the overall half-bakedness even worse. They have all of the downsides and none of the upsides, and the variations you can run into in an NG+ are so rare and so :effort: that doing another one to see what changed doesn’t feel remotely worth it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The environmental protection levels for space suits makes no sense to me. I have no idea what the arbitrary numbers are supposed to map to at all besides “bigger is better”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

l

e: I still have no idea how O2 became a stamina mechanic rather than a consumable

I went into the game blind and when character creation talked about O2 usage/CO2 generation and all that I thought for sure that it was referring to a survival type mechanic. Instead it’s “stamina and stamina plus”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

- I want to understand why Starfield failed. And while some of those reasons can be easily intuited from playing the game (ex: the discreet cells), others, like a large decentralized team with somewhat disengaged seniors still trying to run like a small, closely enmeshed group, isn't as surface level apparent from playing

This is why I’m so fascinated by Starfield even though I gave up on playing it a while back- its failure is legit interesting in ways that other games I dislike, or even can’t stand, aren’t. It made a super good early impression on me and then as I played the more I realized the stuff that worked for me early weren’t actually aspects of the game as a whole because they had been taken out for reasons of not scale or budget, but just general design incoherence. I love games where their reach exceeds their grasp but that’s not what happened with Starfield, despite the scope- they made a game that promised the stars but planned on putting some glow in the dark stickers on your bedroom ceiling. Just a Potemkin village-rear end game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The choices boiled down to “spend a lot of money, spend a lot of time, or do a halfassed genocide”. It was so weird not even having to convince them to take the gravity drive and go somewhere else, they go from “we’re not backing down!” To “we’re backing down!” so fast I thought I glitched the quest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I thought I accidentally skipped something when it sent me straight to the engineer instead of the captain

The end of the Freestar rangers quest felt the same way too. You get the evidence and I figured you’d bring that to the rangers like you do with all the other evidence but nope, gotta go confront the guy straight away with no backup!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

…game this large and dynamic

lol. Lmao, even. I can’t think of anything in this game that really changes from its base state at any time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Why do they even have that option to get out of chair in middle of fight? Like, in Subnautica you would hop out of submarine chair to go out our fires and make repairs while still in dangerous situations, made it exciting and dangerous. In this game getting out the chair doesn't let you do anything besides watch your shop get blown up without control.

Enemy ships stop shooting when you stand up. You can still die if you get hit by shots that were already on their way but you can use it to cheese fights by standing so your shields have time to regen.

It’s incredibly stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The pet asteroid is the closest this game came to having any charming moments.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

It would have a purpose if one of my stupid crew mates would take over and fly with the same surgical skill the enemy ai is. It would be interesting to be able to man a turret or have to go down to engineering and bang on the engine during a fight.

Then turrets might actually be useful instead of just firing wildly at whatever thing marked “hostile” they feel like shooting at.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
But at least your turret pod wouldn’t crash into your pet asteroid, as it has been deleted to prevent any accidental fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chillmatic posted:

The worst mistake that Bethesda made with Starfield was releasing the game with relatively few bugs, thus depriving themselves of the "it's actually a great game behind all the issues!" narrative that Cyberpunk enjoyed.

They also would have needed to make a great game to have behind all the issues though

Cyberpunk at launch wasn’t perfect but I’d feel comfortable saying it was a great but flawed game. It had a sense of style and was unique. Starfield is like you painted oatmeal beige and ate it while listening to a Matchbox 20 album. I can’t even describe it as aggressively bland because “aggressively” implies some kind of fundamental character to the experience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

isndl posted:

Unfucking the gameplay loop so perks,

They couldn't even spare the effort to fill the existing perk tree with stuff that was interesting. It blew my mind you have to spend a level up on the boost pack being a thing you can actually use, and the scanner perks mean you spend like four skill points to get the scanner to a level of function it should have had as a baseline. Just obvious filler stuff to make the skill tree look bigger by having things to eat points.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandepande posted:

I would've personally jettisoned the Freelancer space combat and made it a long-range affair, with a lot more emphasis on boarding actions and disabling the enemy.

This is freelancer slander. That game had way better combat, with damage types that actually matter and missiles that feel like missiles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

It's what's displayed on the lower left. The moon phase thing is the time, if you bring up the scanner it shows you the gravity, the temperature is in there somewhere, and it shows you your injuries and suit protection remaining. Sometimes. Kind of. It's plenty useful, I guess it just isn't really featured enough to make a big impression.

I have never been able to figure out the suit protection part of that at all. The bar seems the same in places where I can hang out forever as it does in places where I’m stacking conditions every thirty seconds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The lack of a map made the fact that the city layouts are nonsensical even worse. You couldn’t really navigate based on a sense of the space alone because everything looked the same and there wasn’t really thought put into how an area would be developed. Trying to find that bookstore in Akila was often my Waterloo.

Also I still can’t figure out why New Atlantis’s slums are only accessible via an elevator in the Capitol building’s basement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

babypolis posted:

big lmao at this game making Outer Worlds look good by comparison

I think Outer Worlds is better than it got credit for at launch, like an extremely 7/10 game, but compared to this it’s a masterpiece.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The quest marker can also desync from where the ship actually is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think everything about that ship is a textbook case of “how to absolutely poo poo the bed on a quest”.

The quest design? Nonsense. There’s an obvious possibility that isn’t an option because gently caress you, that’s why. When you do take an option it just straight up skips a step in a way that makes you feel like you glitched something. Then you do a little fetch quest+ spend an inordinate amount of resources because again gently caress you, that’s why. Unless you just blow up hundreds of innocent people because gently caress them, that’s why.

The ship design? Also nonsense. Weirdly hard to navigate, has computers you can find anywhere else even though the quest starts because of outdated technology not letting them communicate, and it just doesn’t really feel generation-shippy.

Then the technical aspect where it makes a forever quest log entry that will just break on you. The concept is so cool, the expectations so high, and then the delivery is so bad. It’s like sneaking a fart and asking the person next to you “Do you smell popcorn?”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Counting on procgen to fill out your game world is like when a film director just goes “We’ll fix it in post”.

It’s never fixed in post, it just ends up more expensive and lovely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Al! posted:

its less that the flaws get harder to ignore its that you realize that the potential the game shows you at the beginning is never going to be realized in the game as shipped, and i think different people come to that conclusion at different speeds

That started kicking in at hour 20 or so and ramped up from there. I dropped it 75 or so hours in after trying to find the highs I had early on and realizing that I had seen behind the curtain and those really couldn’t happen again.

Part of why I dislike this game so much now is because I enjoyed it so much in the beginning. There’s plenty of games out there that aren’t for me or are straight up bad but I don’t dislike them on nearly the same level as Starfield. It’s both the wasted potential and all the time I spent playing where I could see the flaws clearly that make it stand out in that regard, and it also makes it easier to engage with its badness coherently because I didn’t just bounce off it in a few hours, I played this poo poo for 3 days. I know exactly what I didn’t like and why in a way that goes beyond simple mockery. It’s a pretty common thing with this game and I think it’s why there’s a lot of online discussion from people that didn’t like it even three months after it came out vs something like Forspoken that was gone like a fart in the wind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

I think where the game really lost me, everything about it is ‘tell and don’t show’.

The way that so much of the lore is dumped in a museum in a faction quest and then honestly doesn’t seem to inform the way the factions relate to each other (in large part because they really don’t interact anyway) was mind boggling. Like, the UC and Freestar had been in huge wars but it doesn’t seem to matter in the slightest. There’s a religious cult that invaded in a war of extermination and they’re just random enemies 98 percent of the time, and as random enemies they’re basically just spacers with different costumes and sometimes better loot.

It ends up feeding into one of the huge problems the game has, where outside of the Vanguard quest line there’s basically zero stakes. You have these factions that should have a lot of tension between them but it’s never truly engaged with. Have the appearance of the starborn make the UC or Freestar think that their opponent has developed some kind of super weapon that’s upsetting a fragile peace or something, anything to make the setting something besides a lore dump and window dressing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

If you just stopped collecting artifacts and handed the ones you have over to the dude, absolutely nothing would happen. Your universe would arguably be better off if he just went along on his way.

I don’t even think it would stop your guy from going on to be a starborn anyway, since the impression I get is that the artifacts reset or something anyway. There isn’t a one starborn per universe policy or anything. And even if there was, being a starborn seems kinda lovely and it’s not like it feels like my character is losing anything… mostly because they’re not even a character. You have like no goals outside of a quest log and connections to anything besides maybe a companion who you said “[Flirt] Wanna gently caress?” to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is that they want to kill off their competition because each Starborn who goes through a loop gets more and more powerful. So it's less a requirement and more a "I don't want the superpowered dude getting in my way in another timeline."

Still dumb though.

Even that doesn’t make sense because I don’t see any reason they’d even get in each other’s way because the unity isn’t a finite resource.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

The way it was described in-game, it isn't a finite resource but your morality and ability to empathize with the worlds are, so eventually as a side effect of going through loop after loop people get bored and start doing some atrocities to keep busy.

Which could be an interesting thing if it was played out in-game instead of kind of tacked onto lovely NG+s

That also opens up another can of worms, where the unity is mostly drawbacks.

“Step through this, it’ll take all your stuff away and make you kind of an rear end in a top hat, but in return it’ll let you maybe use your very underwhelming powers more”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

You don't really have dialogue choices with your companions that reflect choosing that option, compared to the other two, but it's still there for the rest of the narrative.

That’s really a good thing, because it spares you a “SARAH DISLIKED THAT” for choosing an option that makes sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m fine with it being unexplained but the problem is that pretty much everything else is unexplained. You never at any point feel like you’re discovering anything because every time there’s any ambiguity the process is “A mystery is introduced”->:effort:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pinely posted:

Bethesda's writing is so bad that I think it pushes players to focus on the the elements of the story and lore that they haven't written much about. The reveal of the conflict between the Emissary and Hunter is so stupid and poorly executed that it's impossible to care about, but the Unity has next to no lore on it, so there's still the potential it could have some satisfying resolution. And then when that resolution never comes it feels like you've been shortchanged, which you have, just not in the way you thought.

That tracks with the stuff that stood out when a quest poo poo the bed- the stuff that drove me nuts is when parts just weren’t there. The colony ship or freestar rangers quests were badly written but the part that feels maximum WTF is when it skips a step entirely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

I kinda want a mod that makes Sarah like murder, and replaces all her lines with quotes from Sarah Connor

What’s wild is that because of how the stealth missions are coded, the companions go from strait laced, even moving an owned book is bad wet blankets to psycho mass shooters the second you get detected. Sarah hates violence unless you’re sneaking first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be a bacteria or a virus. They call it a microbe, which implies bacteria, but they talk about it as if it’s a virus and even call it a phage at some point IIRC. But then at other points they talk about it like it’s a bacteria. If it’s a bacteria then it’s a less risky but the fact that the Bethesda writers couldn’t make it clear what kind of pathogen they were talking about made the end of the quest really annoying.

Also, as far as that quest goes, it ties back into what someone else said about the Unity where Bethesda just doesn’t write stuff. The Freestar Rangers quest runs into the same problem- there’s a mystery that’s so loving obvious from the start because there’s so little background detail that loving duh it’s heatleeches turning into killer aliens or Ron Hope puppeteering everything, because there’s nothing else introduced in those quests. Even Vae Victus being alive in the Vanguard quest was obvious in advance because he’s the only one of the three UC leaders that gets a loving name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tankbuster posted:

the two other characters get a name too. One of them very very indian and female.

Did they? I only remember the museum where they make a big point about Vae Victus being a Very Special Boy.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Virus or bacteria, doesn't matter. Much like the rest of this game's choices or variables it doesn't really matter to the universe at large and as a result I strain to care about something that should be cool. This game should have had scientists interrupting about what they mean by microbe and fighting each other over if they should use a virus or bacteria to wipe out the xenomorphs.

What’s interesting is that as much as it doesn’t really matter, it still matters more than anything in the main quest, which matters so little that I am honestly shocked that even Bethesda thought it was a good story.