Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game looks insanely bland and there's never been a game on earth where pointing a laser to mine something has not been boring af tedium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John F Bennett posted:

I love exploring and for now this 1000 planets stuff sounds like an explorer's dream, my dude. Exploration to me is not about finding a setpiece, but can be just about landing on some deserted planet far away and see the sunset, take pretty pictures, discover some cool wildlife or rock formations or whatever. Same reason why I love games like NMS or Elite. But this one has wheels of cheese.

That sounds like boring dogshit imo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The thing about proc gen that just amounts to variegated height maps with interchangeable prefab parts stuck together is that they are practically anti-exploration, as soon as the constituent parts become obvious, then for all intents and purposes the exploration is basically done and you are left with a game of recognition, your brain ultimately will react to every bit and bob as "Oh I saw that mineral on that other planet." or "I saw that animal's head on a different torso earlier."
Pattern recognition will always win out versus unfamiliarity. Familiar parts stick out like a sore thumb, this ends up destroying whatever sense of exploration there could have been.

This is super evident in games like NMS where after a dozen planets you just end up seeing repeating variations. What are you exploring? You're seeing the same poo poo you did before, it's like shaking up a box of Legos several times and each time going "Look the red block was over there before now it's over here." Snooze.

If the game then tasks you to do things in these wack rear end spaces it converts what is uninteresting into tedium as well, because now you're forced to interact with mind-numbing blandness in order to get to the poo poo that doesn't suck.

That's why the mixed poo poo sends off red flags, how much time do I have to spend on a blob of a planet holding down a button to shoot a laser at a bit of iron until I can upgrade my ship, get colony building materials, satisfy some quest requirements? In fact, why the gently caress do we still pretend that staring at a rock as you laser it is anything but the wackest poo poo on earth? What are these spaces for then besides being designated "This is where all the boring poo poo to do is." areas? Is it a containment zone so the handcrafted parts aren't filled up with mind-numbing rock lasering?

If they are completely separate, then it makes no sense and is an utter failure of game design if huge systems don't interact. If they aren't separate, then inevitably you will have to deal with tedious proc gen poo poo to advance outside of it.

So yeah, semi-open pre-made areas ARE better because it means you don't have an entire chunk of the game that feels like something a blob generator spat out which ends up being incongruous with the rest of the game.

It's pretty funny people are mentioning Daggerfall because that game is the ur-example of it. The main quest dungeons are all tolerable and interesting, and everything else sucks massive gobs of poo poo. Arena is much the same too. Hopefully Starfield won't have space skeletons playing SKELETONSCREAM.WAV every five microseconds.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

dr_rat posted:

I have no idea what Bethesda.net does and I hope I never have to learn.

It sends ur nudes to ur contact list

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jables88 posted:

For what it's worth, Warcraft 3 always had a much healthier modding scene than Starcraft 2 despite the latter's better toolkit. I think fantasy just allows people to take ideas in more directions than Sci-Fi, where the palette(?) you are given locks you into a certain style more.

SC2 custom maps could have been absolutely game changing if Blizzard weren't bitter asf about not being able to capitalize on Dota lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's gonna be crazy. The game is gonna come out and I'm gonna play it and it's gonna be fun. I can't believe it's happening

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oblivion was ugly as poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

*big rear end mush monster waddled up to u looking like he's loving melting and Vaseline has been smeared all over ur eyes into the tear ducts* "you are the one from my dreams"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oblivion is an example of how an ugly rear end art style makes your game look horrible. Doesn't have anything to do with its technical bells and whistles. It was just a rotten looking game aesthetically. Rubbish.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everybody in Oblivion has the face of a morbidly obese man and the body of an Olympic athlete

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to make a borg cube

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm stroking out over this game right now

The game's gonna be fun... I can't believe it...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The game is gonna have features. Like ships, you can fly them and edit them. There's gonna be combat and you better believe there will be weapons and weapon types. They've got dialogue trees for speaking to NPCs. Sometimes you get to put things in and out of inventory, these can be items or other objects.

All in all, it should have gameplay.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They need to bring back party NPCs freaking out when u do something wrong like stealing a fork in Uktima 7 abd Iolo just being like OH MY GOD AVATAR!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No pathetic loser background??,

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If u are conflict averse in real life, u are also conflict averse in gaming. That's why u see so many cowards playing stealth archer and hoarding resources. If a mudcrab pisses me off I pop a potion of +50% "Hitting that Thing Better" just so it dies a more astonishing death. I don't care. I don't care if the enemies see me, I'll strike them down.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game pass is for losers!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ynglaur posted:

I wonder what Internet speed I need to have where it's faster to download at release vs predownloading ilon Wednesday and decrypting Thursday night...

What's ilon

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zlodo posted:

cool, let's normalize paying 35$ for the privilege of playing a video game for the first 5 days after release

it will not encourage game companies to promote hype over substance

You get the DLC!! You're a fool if you didn't purchase!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tiny Timbs posted:

I preordered it on Steam for $99 USD

I preordered three copies on three different accounts to show my respect for the company Bethesda

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love this company. I love giving money to companies and acting like my meaningless donation to their big moneys will be seen and appreciated, extreme solidarity to the programmers and developers, who will never see a single cent of any of that money. Let's give a shout out and round of applause.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What's the biggest gun in the game, I want to do heavy weapons.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Settlement crap is a boring distraction from fun stuff and the AI is useless so you babysit a bunch of idiots who won't even use all the fancy poo poo you gave them while you spend 20 minutes in a menu futzing with 37282 crafting materials. Truly a total boil on FO4's rear end.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They should have let u torture the settlers

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Do you think there will be a quest with themes about racism, or a morally grey quest about landowners or private enterprise, I do think at least there will be a quest about violence being bad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Skyrizzim

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I can't stop saying Skyrizi now

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I wonder if you can fly your ship into a space port and cause space 9/11 it would be an oversight if you couldn't.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Daztek posted:

First we had ladder climbing, now Bethesda has invented ledge grabbing. Truly amazing.

https://streamable.com/d2jz4s

Very cute and chubby astronaut

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We're playing because we're Gamers

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

STARFIELD!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poor UK haters, no longer will they hate on Bethesda, it's only just what they did

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My ship is going to be a big rear end and I'll call it The Piece of poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My ceremonial cacao is arriving the same day as this game, I'm ready to drink my nice, bitter hot chocolate drink with a dash of cayenne while getting blazed asf and playing STARFIELD!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does the premium edition get you anything other than early access?

First xpac as well

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Preloaded and ready to play the game!!!! Oh my god!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who are the celebrity voice actors???

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I made my character in Fallout 3 an old man and I think Liam Neeson just left the vault because he hated my premature aging

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Steam never shows the EA date, always just the regular one. If u bought primo u got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Prawned posted:

I need to stop reading this thread or else I'm gonna spend money to play a game 5 days early like a loving knobhead.

It's incredible, I can't believe I'm going to play it early. It's the most amazing thing!! We're all stunned, all us early access purchasers are just impressed and astonished