Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ErrEff posted:

I don't think players will have control of spaceships when landing or taking off - it'll just be an automated process. The footage contains a hint that this might be the case - every lander module contains this description: "Spaceship landers come equipped with auto-deploying landing gear, to help pilots land on even the roughest of terrain." When in spaceflight it'll be a separate instance and if you try to crash down into a planet it'll just take over and transition you down to a landing to get around physics issues. That makes the most sense to me.
This would be somewhat underwhelming if so. NMS has in atmosphere dogfights and hugging the terrain to escape detection, and the dedicated landing button just halts your momentum and lowers you vertically to the ground. From what we've seen of flight here, the physics in Starflight are broadly the same and not 'realistic' at all (this is a good thing). As such it would be disappointing if they cut so much atmosphere flight.

NMS doesn't really have anti-aircraft fire/aeriel defences, so Starfield could just chuck those over a region if they don't want you landing directly on a mission objective.

Thinking of the 1000 planets thing a bit more, what I assume they've done is run a NMS style infinite planets procgen - then weeded out anything that's not appropriate for their aesthetic. So while in No Man's Sky you might find a hot pink neon planet with boiling seas and big head dinosaurs right out of Caelid but are vegetarians and will be your friend, that would have ended up on the Not Hard Scifi pile here. Each of the 1000 planets that aren't directly related to story could have met enough criteria to be considered Different and Interesting in some way however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Big Bizness posted:

With the space travel, can you fly all the way down to the planet surfaces from outer space in real time or is it seperated by a menu or loading screen? I'm out of the loop of modern space games, IDK if that kind of scale is possible yet.

This is exactly how it works in No Man's Sky (though it's pretty easy to see the textures load in). Atmospheric distortion can hide a loading process - with that and SSDs it would be pretty pathetic if they needed a loading screen there.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Big Bizness posted:

Oh nice. I'll have to check that out then, heard it's quite a bit better then it was at launch.
https://youtu.be/UExKIrOlVmU

The process can actually be a lot quicker, you can boost right to the edge of the atmosphere, then pull out of a death dive at 12feet up to land safely (physics!). But this is an old engine developed by a tiny team, so fly/land anywhere with no load screens should definitely be doable here.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Don't know if you guys are watching the Todd Howard interview right now, but there's some new information.

edit :

Some takeaways I've got :

- no seamless transitions from space to planet, will be done through a loading animation
- it will be clear to the player when a planet is handcrafted and when it is procgen, didn't specify how
- 4 big cities
- 200,000 lines of dialogue

and other stuff i already forgot

Oooof. The separation of space/planetside is probably justifiable from a performance perspective - entering an atmosphere is tough for pop up in NMS and this has lots more polygons - but it's still disappointing. Planets look a bit like solid blocks of colour suggesting that land/sea divisions aren't generated until you land. I wonder if sky boxes are similarly vague? If your base has a view of three moons, will they be roughly where you can find them within space? And is interplanetary travel also behind a loading screen?

Edit: I thought I might have just missed this, but there was no adverse weather shown at all was there? That's hopefully something that'll be shown off properly later because that's a pretty glaring absence.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 15, 2022

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Does Starfield have a river though?

Unironically the thing I'd be most excited to see, assuming it is proc gen and responds to variable weather conditions (and even more so if terrain deformation is actually a thing in this).

Edit:

steinrokkan posted:

It probably doesn't have anything that would meet the full list of arbitrary criteria of what constitutes a real River in the minds of goal post moving Star citizens. But then, nothing does
Excuse me I'm a goalpost moving NMS player

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

I wonder if you can actually fly 'toward' a planet, will it get closer as you approach? There will be an invisible barrier obviously, wonder how that will work.

I also assume that, since you have to 'press X to land', the game will teleport you to a suitable location. But will that location be randomized, or will it be an actual persistent location on the planet where you clicked? Many questions, only Todd knows.

Presumably you'd just bounce off the upper atmosphere (or burn up on reentry??).

For the landing, it would surely be the latter. I'm assuming even proc gen planets would have mission markers or points of interest, and flying overhead then landing 50 miles away would be incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Why should there be a space double barrelled breech loading shotgun in loving spacefaring future? :sigh:

Same reason you would still get pump actions and revolvers, it's for gameplay balance. You probably 3D print little iron sights for them as well, or slap a 20th century style optic on them, because gamers don't like new things.

NMS does a slightly more straightforward thing and puts the mining laser, environment scanner and weapon options into a single multitool (there are limited slots but you can carry multiple tools). It wouldn't really have strayed too far from the aesthetic seen in Starfield so far to have a Control-esque morphing box weapon fulfill multiple roles in a similar manner.

Or just have the mining laser kill everything because why not