Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishMcCool posted:

If modding works as usual, then 1000 planets is a hell of a canvas. Even presuming that for game engine and gameplay reasons, those 'planets' are probably bite-size scaled small rocks.

The promise of 1000 planets sounds exactly as exciting as the 1000 "unique" office buildings in fallout 4, or the 1000 "unique" burial mounds in Skyrim or any other radiant quest filler junk, i.e. I'm getting sick just reading about it and it actively makes me want to play at the game less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought Fallout 3 felt like floaty garbage, just like Oblivion, but I really liked Fallout 4 in the combat department. Just clicked for me, but I know a lot of people weren't too into Fallout 4's combat.

Everybody mocks TES because you always end up being a stealth archer, but at least you can become a stealth archer, that's something (and I for one never played an archer character). Meanwhile in Bethesda Fallouts where all you have is a gun and everybody else also has a gun, you are doomed to be a generic shootyman in a below average shootyman game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Starfield: is a game, is playable
Star citizen: bedsheet deformation simulation by 2026

On balance it's impossible to say which is the better product

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Proletarian Mango posted:

Out of their 1000 planets they got 4 big cities

If we extrapolate how the definition of a big Bethesda city changed from Skyrim to fallout 4, a big city in starfield means a space hot dog stand

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bad Purchase posted:

question: can i take the cannibal trait?

and follow up: will it play a delightful xylophone trill when i use it?

Yes, but all other npcs technically belong to some alien species or another, rendering it useless

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Does Starfield have a river though?

It probably doesn't have anything that would meet the full list of arbitrary criteria of what constitutes a real River in the minds of goal post moving Star citizens. But then, nothing does

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My main concern is that there is going to be even more of a focus on those "core loops" (i.e. shooting and looting things for no particular reason) than in FO4 when even in FO4 where this trend was very evident I spent like 75% of my time trying to escape away from mindless gameplay loops and find some RPG content.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheSwizzler posted:

Basically fantasy developing here but with a thousand procgen planets a great feature would be to upload your settlement and have it show up on some of the barren rocks in someone else’s game.

Showing off settlements was the one good part of FO76

Ah yes Spore 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The day Donald Trump truly grew into his office :patriot:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't see how having these fake perks is better or more user friendly than old fashioned numerical skills that go from 1 to 100. Already in fallout 4 it was infinitely less convenient to find the totally-not-a-skill "perks" than in older games because everything was a loving perk haphazardly plastered on an arbitrary space on a busy tableau.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

They're going to turn the NASA esque semi rigid enclosures, which have more in common with Fallout power armor than normal clothes, into skin tight cat suits and they'll do it with zero self awareness and like minded idiots will praise them for having more artistic vision than Bethesda, and it'll be the sort of thing that makes me set my teeth a bit when people say that Bethesda makes a bad game that modders save.

Brb modding every starfield equipment item to be based on Barbarella

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

No, this is dumb. If you axe the procedural generation you're not suddenly going to get an actual world of handcrafted stuff, you're just going to get "a few set piece locations" in a fenced in areas instead.

Honestly probably the better option.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishMcCool posted:

Speak for yourself. I hope we get Space Daggerfall.

I speak for everybody

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

In no sense is it the better option unless you are unhappy when people enjoy things you don't. No one is going to force you to land and fully explore every random iceball in the game.

So I guess every game would be made better by including endless expanse of empty terrain to "explore" outside the actual level areas? They could have spent the man-hours devoted to coming up with the proc-gen system and presumably curating and testing the worlds to making more, better hand crafted environment.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 24, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Star Citizen sounds pretty sweet!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That sounds like boring dogshit imo

Thank you for being brave enough to say what everybody was thinking

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think it's incredible there are people who believe Bethesda will finally be able to create compelling environments by investing LESS effort into them. Also that somebody would voluntarily do any building in a Bethesda engine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:sad:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna wait for somebody to remake Morrowind in Starfield before buying it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes everybody remembers great Bethesda products such as
Nuka cola bottom shelf rum in a plastic bottle
That cheap polyester sack
The awful vault jacket made out of IKEA shopping bags

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 3, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was thinking about all the issues Fallout 76 had with physical rewards, like switching out stuff for lovely version without telling anyone, dangerous levels of mold and various other health hazards. So now I'm wondering, how will Starfield top this in terms of physical rewards?

A space rock necklace that's somehow a slug of pure plutonium

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

So a lot of Witcher was automated like Bethesda games, but seems the system they used allowed more tailoring, there's an article about it here: https://www.pcgamer.com/most-of-the-witcher-3s-dialogue-scenes-was-animated-by-an-algorithm/ Where is in creation kit, seems you set an animation for the character, than you set an emotion and strength of that emotion (between 1-100) for each line of dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMkVcekHUk&t=426s

So Yeah looks like even though they both were pretty automated Witcher 3 engine allowed for more tailoring of the process. Although I'm sure there are probably hacky was in Creation Kit to do in line emotion changes and what not, it doesn't look like it's as easy to do by default.

It really helped that with Witcher every character was fully animated, with gesturing, shifting weight, twitching etc, even if it was all just blending stock animations. A character with the world's best facial animations will still look like a creepy robot if they otherwise stand perfectly still and only track the pc with their head.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the mod to remove it is very popular

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you heard of the space elves?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > promising science fiction game

What will those computer wizards with their "interactive multimedia games" think of next? I have a feeling this jazzy "sci fi"will be the cat's pajamas with the kids

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PeePot posted:

They are holding back the footage of visiting earth to get another hype boost before launch. The main benefit of being owned by Microsoft is that they've been able to work with the MS Flight Simulator team for a couple years now. It's the second DLC and will bring in-atmosphere flight for an additional 150GB.

You see that city? You can go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xp-SnZDoY

Can't wait to bomb groverhous with proton torpedoes in Starfield

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Probably because Constellation has the lockdown on this "exotic" technology

Wait, so the plot of the game is trying to teach humans the lost science of how to gently caress?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr E posted:

No it's 100% real. Cream-of-Plenty is a good source of accurate info.

I've personally confirmed this information with my insider sources.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It has catfish noodling

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think anybody in the history of the world has been excited about a fishing minigame in any game that doesn't have "Bass" in the name.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

:barf:

I almost forgot

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AND WHY DOESN'T MY CHARACTER HAVE TO GO TO THE TOILET? YOU CALL THIS IMMERSIVE SIM?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Á propos, I really haven't been following games for the past few years, my current GPU is a 1070 and i remember back then the main controversy was "will my card be able to handle 4k???"

It's kinda insane that 6 years later andwith GPUs costing more than the average home, the question even for enthusiast models is still "will it handle 4k???"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think keeping the engine on life support makes sense when you consider stuff like mod support. The scene would probably be far less robust if they just rolled out a whole new suite of tools one day. Assuming they were able to rebuild everything in a new engine to begin with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We wanted to make a spoon, but every time we tried to import the model, the game would just generate ten more planets. There were originally supposed to be five planets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope there's a planet where the game makes me feel a semblance of joy like I felt when I was a kid playing games instead of the void of numb tired bitterness that fills me these days

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

They should of made the deathclaw on that first quest with Preston Garvey unkillable just to gently caress with new players.

I wonder if in the first ten minutes of Starfield you'll be given a free top tier space battleship with proton torpedoes to kill a lvl 1 spaceclaw for your new best pal Superfly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't need to play through the game to know those mole rats / scamps need bomb rear end titties

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope the space ships still use the dragon AI from Skyrim, like the vertibirds from FO4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Floor is lava posted:

This is definitely a stretch here but they said it was heavily inspired by SunDog: Frozen Legacy wherein the game starts with player collecting parts to get the ship functional.

Including little resistor looking doohickies:

And I spotted this in one of the animated shorts:

Would be cool if it were a nod to it.

Edit: Watch this end up in some dumb rear end easter egg or "things you missed" video.

Indeed, my sources are actually saying that the whole game is secretly a remake of SunDog, but I'm not supposed to talk about it.