Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think it looks fine - just like a Bethesda game! The game's atmosphere feels reserved and 'generic/vanilla future stuff' but I think that's 100% on purpose, because on PC this will have lots of mods. As for console versions, the understated fantasy vanilla flavor on the surface didn't stop Skyrim from being very popular there as well.

I don't think players will have control of spaceships when landing or taking off - it'll just be an automated process. The footage contains a hint that this might be the case - every lander module contains this description: "Spaceship landers come equipped with auto-deploying landing gear, to help pilots land on even the roughest of terrain." When in spaceflight it'll be a separate instance and if you try to crash down into a planet it'll just take over and transition you down to a landing to get around physics issues. That makes the most sense to me.

If planets really are fully explorable maps of their own, that's impressive considering the legacy of the tools they are working with. But I would expect many of them to look similar with some tweaked variables (sky color, rock types, gravity, local flora and fauna etc). Todd Howard said in 2020: "We're pushing procedural generation further than we have in a long time on the stuff that's coming up." So for example maybe each one has like a pirate outpost somewhere on it, a cave with some mining you can do, unique items to scan and... uh, a bunch of empty terrain, Mass Effect-style.

Of course they'll hand-craft the most important planets that have significant story bits and make them look the most interesting. It's still up in the air how much this is going to be a live service thing - which could mean story parts being added after release (and of course loads of paid stuff in the shop).

They could probably do some excuse in the plot for how the ancient aliens seeded the galaxy with life and that's why most planets all have the same space crabs and why you've seen the same species of weird dino-thing like 10 times. Watch them do that.

Oh, and of course there will be some game-wide collectible quest where some person accidentally launched a bunch of rockets into space containing some important thingamajigs, which gives you an incentive to go to every planet and scan for them. Watch them do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Skyrim and Fallout 4 both are mod supported on consoles too. Mostly the Xbox version which can use most PC mods, Playstation also has some mods. So I'm expecting Starfield to be fully supported on consoles as well.

Oh, I did forget there is mod support on consoles now. Is it as much of a wild west of crazy unfiltered content as the PC offers? Surely they don't let people upload NSFW stuff?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's elements of Oblivion's old passive system too, I think the description for one weapon skill was shown as "Reload a magazine X times".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Deep dive from Todd there, namedropping a 1984 Apple II/Atari ST space sim right at the start.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sure that'll be in there somewhere.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's the final frontier.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Chillmatic posted:

you battle aliens who are

all running the beautiful faces mod

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Toasted posted:

I'm sure mods will fix this

Inaccurate AI Pathing and Increased Loading Screens will become essential parts of the mod load order

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gamescom is happening now, Starfield is the opening event and Todd Howard is on the stage. New live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3I6_9c58E

EDIT: Can't tell if they showed any new material on the big screen, looked like a collection of previously shown footage.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 22, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Annath posted:

So, does anyone know how reputable CDKeys.com is?

They've been around for a long time and have a decent reputation as far as key resellers go. However, there's always a risk when dealing with reseller sites because you don't know how the key was sourced.

If you want a legit site selling the game for a similar price, Fanatical is the cheapest one right now at $58.09 (30 cents more expensive than what I'm seeing on CDKeys). Authorized retailer, no shady stuff.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That closely mirrors my own setup, so I'm very excited to see how poorly the game runs on my PC. Will probably end up playing it on the Xbox instead…

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

mistermojo posted:

what youre gonna wanna do is just go to the spots that have quests and ignore the others because all you’ll find is a raider base with a little bit of environmental storytelling

…but finding hugging skeletons with birthday hats is the best part!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think the editor/admin of that Fandom wiki might possibly be a little biased. :ohdear:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I entered some numbers into a spreadsheet. Why? No good answer for that.

In November 2011, Steam's daily user count was around 4.6 million, which means that at launch, Skyrim's player count represented 6% of the daily online Steam users (people which had the client running on their computers). We do not have numbers for active users (actually in-game) for that period. Still, that's actually really high compared to the rest - BG3's best day was only a bit above 3% of the total player population, while Cyberpunk was around 4.5%.

...this isn't a great way of counting players, obviously, as the online player count has been steadily rising over time (the peak was 33 million earlier this year). A more useful metric that has seen less inflation is in-game users*, but this only started getting tracked in 2017 on SteamDB. However, using that we can see that that at Cyberpunk's release, it had 17% of all players, or about 1 out of every 6 active Steam users.

For Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, they each had roughly 10% of the total in-game users.

Given how many people are gonna be playing through Game Pass, I don't think Starfield's Steam numbers will break any records.

* Kind of. I think many bot accounts are logged in 24/7, so they will skew the in-game numbers a little bit. Enough to matter? Well... the Capcom Arcade Stadium F2P games got close to 500K peak players when they released trading card updates. There's definitely tons of bots out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

and of course, first launch

now THIS is a bethesda game, let's go

How lucky you are, getting the full Bethesda experience.