Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

And I'm still going to spend a thousand hours visiting them all looking for spacebucks to spend building my starship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Found this comparison from before and after the delay

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm pretty much the opposite of a lot of people here because I feel like the game loop of clearing a location, taking everything not nailed down, and using trash to build settlements was extremely satisfying. I'd throw on some music or my podcast queue and spend hours playing garbage powered Minecraft. Like, you're right, they don't actually do much in the base game, but I (and I bet a lot of people) found trash Legos enjoyable.

8one6
May 20, 2012

isndl posted:

It's the same cell system they used in previous games for the overworld, they just extended it to allow procedural generation at runtime and wrapping the edges.

Makes me wonder if the world is technically toroidal or something though because square cells don't map cleanly into a sphere.

I'm guessing there's either a finite number of cells you can walk in any direction (so youtube morons can screech about invisible walls) or the one person in the world who manages to speed walk around an entire planet in the first two weeks after release will tweet about how Bethesda planets aren't actually spheres/ Bethesda uses mercator projections/found a spot where tile x should be but it regenerated as tile y.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Option one: Oh no, Earth was destroyed by an asteroid made of dark matter. It's just not there anymore.

Option two: Oh no, the extremely girthy hadron collide created a strangelet and the runaway cascade reaction has converted the entire Earth to strange matter. Trying to land will just straight up kill you.

Option three: Every nation on Earth has perfect planetary defense systems. Landing anywhere except for the one spaceport they built in the middle of loving nowhere will get you shot down.

Option four: As you approach the Earth your character changes their mind and turns around.

8one6
May 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlasdairStuart/status/1672203546501021697?s=20

8one6
May 20, 2012

I can't imagine they would have taken a character customization option out between FO4 and Starfield.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah but you couldn't clear away EVERYTHING which was my issue. I can spend a bazillion hours building the perfect base but I'll go crazy if theres some random loving bush clipping through a wall or if the slanted ground means I have to put my base on stilts, but at a height that isn't aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm aware this is me being overly fussy and delicate but I think those are the traits you need to go hard into base building/home decorating maybe?

There were (at one point anyway) tons of mods that added things like half and quarter stilt foundations and added snap points to a lot of the preexisting poo poo that it felt like another solved issue.

I'm hoping Bethesda goes all in on buildable bits and I don't need mod to install a quarter turn hallway or whatever on my spaceship.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lordshmee posted:

There were several other keys in various different contexts that were hard bound like that in FO4 that essentially made it unplayable to my inflexible old rear end. I wasn’t really all that into the Fallout universe but I’m still salty that this meant I couldn’t even really try. It makes me very hopeful to hear they improved on this in 76. God I hope they let me rebind everything…

You're one of those sickos that invert the Y axis or rebind movement to the arrow keys, aren't you?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gonkish posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14877

Goons. There's a Starfield community patch thing on the Nexus and Arthmoor isn't involved. I wonder how many tantrums he's going to throw over this news.

I hope that piece of poo poo falls down some stairs and I'm super glad to see the modding community got out in front of him this time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Edit: already answered.

On a different note:

I hope whoever designed the perk system for Starfield falls down some stairs. This is the grindiest poo poo.

The snap-to build on everything in the outpost builder is extremely aggressive and I hate it. Let me build a few different rows of containers instead of one giant row.

Why the gently caress does the outpost system not have basic stairs, ladders, or loving foundation pieces? Why is it so much more limited than the settlement builder from FO4? Why is everything locked behind both perks AND research?

Why can't I tour the inside of my ship while building it to decide where the ladders and doors connect?

At this point I'm assuming House Var'uun is the default good faction because the others are Shiny Starship Troopers, Cowboy LARPing space libertarians who haven't bothered to pave the roads of their capital city in a 150 years, a cyberpunk megacorp, and bloodthirsty pirates that will kill each other for 40 credits.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 12, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Not even public domain texts but blurbs of them

Do you really want to read the entirety of Frankenstein in the Starfield book interface?

I'm sure someone will mod it in eventually but is that seriously a desire for anyone?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tei posted:

Do you guys think the cowboy faction take showers?, they don't pave the roads, do they have running water?, maybe instead of having a public water system everyone is on their own and they capture rain when it rains, that is like 5 days every year. And they ration that water to take showers.

The streets are always muddy there so I'm guessing it rains fairly frequently.

In Akila "city" I overheard two people complaining about loving zoning laws in the UC while setting up some sort of industrial something inside of town. I'm going to assume that the only reason that mud pit hasn't burned to the ground in the last 150 years is the fact that most of the core buildings were built out of recycled colony ship parts and stone.

There's no way they have centralized water services.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Turrets have a 90 degree firing arc. How you place/position them is important. This is, of course, explained nowhere in the game.

The Narwhal starts with three turrets port/starboard/aft and does a decent job of cutting through ships as they fly past you (until you replace the default laser turrets with particle turrets, then they loving delete pirates, spacers, and Ecliptic ships.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

FFT posted:

Gotta use that fancy neuroamp for some bits, sure.

Most of the time when I manipulate guards they just get immediately cut down by turrets, which of course makes total sense.

That was so loving irritating! There's a guard perfectly positioned to disable the turrets but the second you mindjack them the turret cuts them in half.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pakled posted:

... I remember thinking that if the whole "earth becoming uninhabitable" thing happened suddenly instead of over the course of 50 years, that would explain the seemingly tiny population of the settled systems, but I don't remember seeing anything mentioning massive deaths resulting from Earth becoming uninhabitable....

Let's assume 8 billion people on Earth when the atmosphere started sputtering away. Per the lore it took 50 years before Earth was uninhabitable. That's 160 million a year (assuming everyone stopped having kids during this apocalyptic scenario).

The largest ocean going passenger ship right now has a maximum capacity of just under 7k so let's assume Starfield NASA was able to design a ship to move 10k humans.

So 16k launches a year.

A little under 44 launches a day, every day, of a cruise ship sized vessel, for 5 decades.

Honestly I'd call bullshit if the lore said even a billion people got off the Earth in those 50 years.

I'd have expected a huge effort to build biodomes or sealed arcologies or underground habitats if for no other reason than not everyone who was stuck on Earth was going to just lie down and die.

I'm also surprised by the lack of like archeological expeditions or quests to loot the hope diamond from the ruins of the Smithsonian or the Mona Lisa from the Louvre. They did loving nothing with the earth beside a handful of snow globe quests.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Someone built a 1:1 scale titanic.
https://reddit.com/r/StarfieldShips/s/zZlSHn1xVb

8one6
May 20, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I’ve encountered very Swedish-sounding English from settlers and mine workers alike. Not to mention Irishmen and folk from sub-Saharan Africa.

It feels like Bethesda went out of their way to get as many world accents represented as possible, at least to my uncultured Midwestern ear.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The thing is, their insistence in nasa-punk aesthetic means the tech you see is similar to what we have, and that includes ship size too. You never see a super huge 2 kms long ship,for example. So you have to wonder how they save even 100 million people.

So I just looked it up and the most passengers on an airliner is the Airbus A380-800 which can be configured for up to 850 or so. We know from the main quest that the escape ships were being launched vertically like the old space shuttle was and in the Well on New Atlantis they mentioned it was built out of the parts of the colony ship so I don't think they were reusing them.

The closest numbers I can find with a quick Google for worldwide aircraft production is between 1-2k a year for commercial airliners. I have to assume once the big "Earth is hosed" meeting happens every country that can has the infrastructure to build commercial jets will retool over to colony ships.

So taking the low end of about 1k ships a year that can carry 1k people each (just rounding up to make it easier) looks like 50 million people before the Earth was uninhabitable (give or take like a million because of private attempts by the ultra wealthy.)

Lube Enthusiast posted:

There should of been one town survivor on earth who lives in a bubble and refuses to leave

A holdout colony would have been a fantastic addition to the game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

According to Boeing about a quarter of the example I used.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Just found a small youtube channel that's making videos of all the module interiors

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCovOjrKUxJPgQsz1dV4KZ9yyNKxvmjVL&si=EOK4IMpeFhA6sq14

8one6
May 20, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

Quick question: I'm on my first play through. I've collected 7 powers so far, and the HUD says there's 7 more undiscovered temples. Do I lose anything if I move on to NG+ without finding these now?

It'll take you one extra ng+ to max them out if you decide you want to do that. There are 24 different dragon shouts total.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

Gah. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll buckle down and grind 'em. I don't understand the 24 total, though. I've got 7 and it says there's 7 more. That should make 14? Or can you not get all in a single play through?

It doesn't add a power to the remaining amount until you find the associated artifact. Also by most accounts it's bugged to show three more than there actually are so once you have 24 it'll still show 3 remaining. You do a thing after the end of the main quest to start the NG+ and it's easy to miss the remaining powers if you jump straight into it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I wish outpost building was half as satisfying as settlement building was in FO4. I spent so many hours building towns out of trash but the outposts just suck.

8one6
May 20, 2012

New Atlantis and Akila City should have big orbital shopping malls run by the crime Trade Authority. Weapon vendors, spacesuit sales, used ships at crazy low prices, Dave's digipick emporium, and a food court with a cinnabun. Since they never have to deal with the gravity well they pass the savings (and huge stacks of credits) on to you.

Also the reliant medical on the station is somehow always running a 2 for 1 sale on replacement organs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I feel like the biggest mod drama for Starfield is going to be two modders who have buth decided to stick their custom story POI on the same spot on the same planet (bonus points for either Earth, Jenison, or Akila) and they both refuse to compromise on the location or allow any other mods to move their poo poo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

victrix posted:

mods please change title to "Sarah disliked that"

8one6
May 20, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

Cannot peacefully resolve at the Scow either, that was annoying. Ran thru 30 guards back to the ship with the artifact hoping Sam wouldn't kill anyone with his default pea shooter lol. That collector guy owns i dont want to destroy his entire operation! Just let me pay him a bunch of credits or trade one of your ships in?

e; my guy i have here a special space ship that belongs to a super hero, trade it for this metal bar?

It's super obvious they cut the non-conflict options from the Scow late in the quest.
There are manual override walls both in the vault right next to the artifact display (which can be cut from the other side) and right behind the guard stationed outside of the vault (which can be cut from the guard station.) There's a hallway behind that basically leads almost all the way back to the dock. If it was just meant to be the standard Bethesda quick return path then the wall in the vault (that again can't be opened from inside) wouldn't need to be there. The door this path exits out of has a broken switch so you can't actually use it to do the obvious stealth part of the loving heist mission you're on. Nope.

It's loving stupid how out of their way Bethesda went on a bunch of quests to prevent non-standard completions.

8one6
May 20, 2012

harrygomm posted:

one of the abilities, i think weightlifting, had the tier 4 “reduces stagger by 50%” has anyone running a melee builds gotten that tier and does it help to prevent the stagger that happens when a human pistol whips you?

I cheated myself up to weight-lifter 4 and it helps prevent melee from interrupting my reloads.

8one6
May 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGFp3yCe-q8

8one6
May 20, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The gun modifications can make dramatic changes to the guns but suit mods are a bit lacking for the skill investment.

Really, guns are too. You need 5 perks to complete the guns research. They should allow you to completely change guns like in FONV and FO4. Especially the energy weapons. If you get all the mod perks you should be able to change say your basic solstice laser pistol into a shotgun, fully auto SMG, a stable mid range burst shot or a classic deagle long(ish) range sniper.

Oh and give not plasma the not flamethrower option from whichever fallout(s) that is. We need it for heatleeches

So many of the systems in Starfield and actively worse than how they worked in Fallout 4 and it's loving baffling. What the hell did working on fo76 do to these people?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's your petty Starfield complaint?

Most of the captain's quarters have uncomfortable looking beds. For as much as Walter talks up Stroud-Ekland as the highest quality the captain's quarters has the least comfortable layout of any of the manufacturers.

8one6
May 20, 2012

ded posted:

Is there a way to make containers/storage trunks or w/e work with crafting tables at a base?

Storage containers (solid/liquid/gas/manufactured) are (or at least should be) accessible automatically from any workbench in the same outpost. The regular trunks and boxes and misc containers that are all listed under decorations don't connect because Todd hates you.

The answer will be mods.

8one6
May 20, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

is NPCs reacting to clothing like impossible to code??

No, as shown in the mission the loving pirates send you on where you steal several uniforms.

Or when random guards will comment on you wearing a business suit or that set of long johns that Barrett left on the frontier.

Or New Vegas where clothing had faction tags and npcs would react to you being dressed like a member of the legion or the Kings etc.

It's not impossible, but it requires forethought and effort.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Section Z posted:

"Do I need new glasses already-wait they are just being iffy loading words"

Though the thing that always gets me for some reason, is physics enabled objects resettling into place when you look back at them.

Why is anyone worried about the terrormorph statue in the UC recruit museum? It is clearly the mannequins plotting something, their jackets are clearly moving every time I look away from them.

Remember the bug in Skyrim that would cause mannequins to occasionally load NPC idle animations so they'd walk around if you weren't looking at them?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress the final Ryujin mission. Every guard has flawless vision, even with chameleon equipment, every turn is wrong, absolutely everything is built to gently caress you over, and the macguffin is useless? Neato!

And the guards and turrets have perfect and instant awareness of when someone is manipulated and gun them down in seconds.

It's the one mission I finally declared "gently caress it" and no clipped past everything.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Anyone who says Sarah is the worst companion didn't bring Sam with you on the Freestar Rangers quest. Whoever said Sam is just a rich kid cosplaying a cowboy had it right on the money.

His ridiculous praise for Ron Hope whenever we had to land in Hopetown was stupid (No Sam, Ron Hope didn't build the company or the town. He doesn't even design the loving spaceships.) and during the quest one of his relationship building talks triggered where he just can't believe there are so many people who never even leave the world they were born on (and is incredibly dismissive when you point out most of those folks can't afford it).

Oh yeah, and dragging his preteen kid into the absurd danger on a regular basis.

8one6
May 20, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The new game plus ship you get is really great in combat, though it's very weird that it doesn't have a bed.

Do Starborn not sleep?

It would have been nice for the NG+ ship to also unlock some NG+ parts for the thing or some NG+ parts for the other ships like the solar cannons or torpedoes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I did a pirate mission, the one in the Space luxury Liner. As most on this game, it felt like a waste: the site is big and well designed, the two objectives to steal are interesting (credentials of a banker, and a jeweled prize in a safe), I could imagine having an awesome long quest in this location with several options to get each, several people to talk to, maybe having to get disguises for some places, etc. Alas, you just talk with 4 people, do two persuasion rolls, pay 2000 credits to someone, and that's it.

I spent so much time investigating all of the cabins looking for an alternate way into the safe. Nope, just had to badger that lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

You wouldn’t happen to know what manufacturer makes the Voyager design? Love that look but I want the Narwhal reactor. I could also work starship design 4 but that’s a perk I don’t wanna wait for.

I wish I liked how the Narwhal looked but I don’t.

The Narwhal is a solid base to start from but I hate the "horn" weapon mount. Before the interior maze problem drove me to uninstall until mods/DLC drop I was slowly ship of Theseus'ing it into a loving monster.

https://inara.cz/starfield/ship/112/

Looks like the Voyager 3 isn't available from a specific manufacturer. Just have to get lucky at a random port.