Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Every new Beth game has the same cycle: we lament the old rear end engine, declare its time for a new engine, buy said game and play 500 hours.

And Bethesda know that. Their engine is something they are intimately familiar and comfortable with, and it also ensures the games are able to be modded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mylan posted:

Except for the main plot seems to revolve around how you're one of the few special people that can safely collect the mysterious ancient relics of power or whatever. Gives me a Dragonborn kinda feel. Wouldn't surprise me if your character has secret Jedi DNA or something to explain why you have sci-fi themed video game abilities that the NPCs don't.

It’ll probably just be something where you were a generic experiment at birth yada yada.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love a good Todd Howard riff, but I also didn’t recognize anything in the video that was an actual lie?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anno posted:

Is Todd actually widely disliked though? I always assumed the vast majority of the Todd/Bethesda memeing is in pretty good spirit, mixed with a bit of frustration over how rarely they launch games, and that way more people are down with Todd than not.

I’m sure from some folks it’s good natured, but I’ve seen revulsion and scorn mixed in as well. He just seems like a pretty chill dude to me who loves video games and is actually passionate about his work. And while I can say I wish he’d steer games back closer to Morrowind, I still have hundreds of hours in ever single Bethsoft RPG since Morrowind, and have purchased most of the games multiple times. And I had fun with all of them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CLAM DOWN posted:

if this game ends like Star Citizen I swear to god I will

End? Star Citizen hasn’t even begun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has it been said whether the 1000 planets thing is a hard limit, or can more be added by modders later?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lordshmee posted:

Todd specifically said 1000 wasn’t an engine limitation but that past that number wtf are they going to put on them? A good question and one I’m glad they aren’t trying to answer.

I wish Bethesda hadn’t shut down their forums. One thing I’d really like to post at them is to beg that they allow us to re-bind all controls. I mean I want to be able to use any key for any function. They hard-coded a bunch of stuff in Fallout 4 which was the reason I stopped playing it right away. I’m an old man and very persnickety about my control scheme and if you force me into WASD I just nope out and it makes me very sad.

I’m sure this is not something you haven’t already considered, but Bethesda games work great with a controller. I always have a wireless Xbox controller for my PC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bad Purchase posted:

do not, under any circumstances, play a first person game with a controller

unless it's splatoon, that one gets a pass because of the motion controls are pretty good actually

I play first person games all the time with a controller. It’s fine. Especially in a Bethesda game where superb accuracy, timing and speed don’t matter. It’s also much more comfy to lean back in my office chair.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m playing the PC version with a controller. Bethesda games play fantastic with a controller. Hell, the Nu-Doom games feel great with a controller. I’m sure keyboard and mouse indeed works better for competitive shooters, but guess what kind of game Starfield isn’t?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Private Speech posted:

It's one of the main reasons I honestly think exploration in Arena is more fun than Daggerfall - in Arena you at least have the entire continent to explore, with different biomes and dungeons and races and such.

Both are pretty good games though.

I’d love a sourceport of some kind for Arena.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

1glitch0 posted:

I remember when I was mad I wasn't getting Garfield for an hour but then the farm animal toons were way better.

Same for Woody Wood Pecker and Friends. Except that Chili Willy and Droopy were way loving better so it worked out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

oswald ownenstein posted:

Why did this game take 7 years?

I see 3 years max of Fallout 4 modding

There’s a lot more than “Fallout 4” modding going on under the hood. It probably took them 5 years just to figure out how to make spaceships work in a way that isn’t just “NPC running in place with a ship for a head.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OctaMurk posted:

I need a better map in the settlements. This map loving blows lol

I’d be happy with just a way to single out sub-objectives when there’s multiple.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As an RTX 4070 haver, I’m definitely buying that paid mod once I get up from this nap.

Cyberpunk feels and looks great with frame-gen and using gsync/No vsync means no discernible input lag.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Experimental Skin posted:

Not a bug, it's feature stolen from Star Citizen. You should report it to the FBI.

It’s a “feature” that’s been in every Bethesda game since, I think, Fallout 3.

My favorite bug, and one I hope to see in Starfield, is the one when a corpse rag dolls near a door and spaghettis itself out of existence. I don’t know a better way to describe it than that. If you know, you know.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My fat rear end space trucker working on getting this spaceship looking like a semi truck in space. That's the dream. I been doing cargo runs while smoking weed n vibing to the music, blowing up dudes with heavy mining equipment and grenades. Slapped points into demolitions and heavy weapons it rules.

How exactly does space trucking work in this game, and is it a viable play style?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The use of the Oblivion Dialogue camera in space with other ships is peak Bethesda.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a breakdown somewhere of the different joinable factions?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It always amazes me how many people seem shocked and/or disappointed that a Bethesda game plays exactly like a Bethesda game.

It’s never going to do one thing particularly well, but it will always scratch an itch for folks who enjoy making their own fun.

If you want a better story, play Mass Effect. You want better exploration, play No Mans Sky. You want a better space sim, play Elite Dangerous.

Starfield is good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

njsykora posted:

Another one for the weirdly defensive post about liking the game pile.

It’s not “weirdly defensive.” Many of us here enjoy Bethesdas world class AAA jank.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Sam Coe Adam Jensen? Sure sounds like him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Al! posted:

i hate his rear end

I haven’t even looked at his rear end yet. What’s wrong with it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the benefit of NG+?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does this game let you build Anaconda size ships?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

skooma512 posted:

What's everyone been naming their ships?

My main one is "Lucy September", after a Dream Academy song.

Named mind “Stargasm” because Mastodon is awesome and the name is too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do cargo transfer containers work? I’ve got some drills mining chlorine on a planet, and I’ve set it up to go into the transport container. Then what? How does it get into my ships cargo hold? Aside from me carrying it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

“I’m an elevator person now, I build my kingdom here.” is still one of the best dialogue choices in any game ever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Starfield is an aggressively Bethesda game. I rank it right along with Fallout 4 as a game with tons of poo poo that could be better while moving some things forward marginally. It's not terrible and it's more or less exactly what I expected it'd be. But like most Beth games post-Morrowind, it'll be the DLC/Expansions and mods that really turn this into something special.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chillmatic posted:

"lot of candy left in this piñata", says man as wax lips, circus peanuts, and candy corn bounce off his head

Circus peanuts are my favorite candy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

webmeister posted:

Right, I’ve misunderstood what “radiant AI” means then. I just assumed it meant any kind of computer generated content, as opposed to human-generated content.

Which, yeah, calling that stuff AI is pretty generous

It was called “radiant quests” in Skyrim and later games, so you’re not entirely wrong.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DancingShade posted:

It rules that prissy Bethesda creatives were so upset that players didn't like their newer Original Content Please Do Not Steal as much as classic Morrowind that they destroyed the entire setting permanently in an indignent "gently caress you" rage of jealously.

I don’t think that’s why the blew up Vvardenfell.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm fine with the POI distance as-is in Starfield, because what we should have is a mech or a vehicle to get us there faster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moon Slayer posted:

I need something to fill the time before Forbidden West comes out on PC and I put a good number of hours into Fallout 4, but from skimming the last couple pages I'm guessing I should not bother giving Starfield a try?

Is it known that Forbidden West is coming out on PC?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something I’d love to see in Starfield is being able to land in a spot that doesn’t already have a human presence. That, coupled with better procgen making poo poo like mountains, cliffs, rolling hills, rivers, caves, under ground rivers, etc etc. sprinkle in some flora and fauna and that’s all I’d need.

But no, Starfield has content where none is needed and the content itself is rote and boring.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still think Mankar Cameron (sp?) was a cool antagonist, almost up there with Dagoth. And there were years of debate on these very forums regarding Ulfric and the Civil War from Skyrim.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Azhais posted:

I guess I was referring to the main story. All of their games have some good side quests. You can go through the entirety of Skyrim's story ignoring the civil war

None of what I wrote referred to side quests. And no, to my knowledge you can’t avoid the civil war. You at least need to broker a temporary truce in the main quest and Ulfric is a part of that.

And Mankar is the antagonist (one of two technically) of the Oblivion main quest.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It sounds a lot more interesting than it is

You walk in, see a potted plant with Sarah's name on it, start talking to it like it's Sarah, and then Noel comes out on the balcony and asks if you're insane. Turns out every other constellation member got bored and retired early, Sarah got a commemorative plaque on a plant when she left. The universe otherwise proceeds as normal for any one of the "constellation missing, do your own drat work on the eye" universes, of course

That’s the most interesting thing I’ve ever read regarding this game’s writing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

harrygomm posted:

if starfield had the mantis, oblivion had the dark brotherhood/shivering isles, what is the skyrim equivalent?

I can’t figure out how these relate to one another.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Most of the Vanguard questline was pretty decent, I thought. Granted, maybe it left a stronger impression because it was the first major questline I did before I recognized all the issues with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It is weird how broken stealth seems to be in Starfield. Of all the things their game engine does poorly, it’s almost always done at least a passable job of stealth. Even since Morrowind. But in Starfield it’s much more difficult than it should be and you can’t always tell what you’re doing wrong, so being spotted seems arbitrary.

It doesn’t help that the Ryujin missions can mostly be done as casual as possible and don’t require stealth at all. A corporate spy sounds like a super fun way to play, but Bethesda engineered all the fun out of it so it’s just “walk up to computer terminal and press button.”