Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The persuasion mechanics are just bizarre. Sometimes, but not always, you'll get "high risk" options that seem to fit the motivations/context for the NPC you're speaking to, and so far IME, they pass, but I'm pretty sure it's still a dice roll. The safer options are generally just non sequiturs, and while sometimes hilarious, they're nonsensical and can just fail because it's a dice roll. Also, the dialogue options are just straight up randomized, and so are the responses, so if you savescum you can end up with no context relevant dialogue and you can have the previously successful ones fail, because it's a dice roll. The skill specific options seem to always pass, but I'm not sure if that's still luck on my part.

I have no idea why they did it like this, I don't remember it being this clunky in FO4 or Skyrim. It's pretty incongruous with, like, roleplaying or engaging with the characters/story.

tl;dr: Trying to actually persuade with the persuasion mechanic is a mugs game because it doesn't appear to have enough depth for that

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Is the thermal environmental damage effect just completely bugged on some worlds? On the Red Mile, Londinion, and New Homestead I seem to randomly get the thermal protection warning and then start taking damage no matter how much thermal protection I have. They show something like -18° and -180° and having 60 thermal protection makes no difference. On New Homestead, neither does entering the main building or the farm habs. Going through any kind of loading door or elevator seems to have a chance of resetting it, and I'll either stop taking damage, or suddenly start if stopped. There are also a bunch of deep freeze worlds where this doesn't happen, but IDK if it's the location that's broken or the mechanic itself.

Regarding stealth in the Ryujin quests It doesn't appear to matter at all beyond the two where you're sneaking through company headquarters. For all of the earlier missions you can just walk wherever, none of the objectives are in "trespassing" areas, and no one will attempt to stop you. I have no idea how you could even go loud in those quests unless you just walked in the front door and started blasting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lollerich posted:

In the last one you are probably supposed to sneak through the vents but they are broken. The very first office I was supposed to sneak into, the connecting vent didn't have a prompt to open it like the others did ( I checked after the fact, all others had prompts). So I went loud and just murdered everyone and there were no repercussions.

I ghosted both. The Ryujin headquarters pretty easily, it's basically just set up to introduce you to the idea of using vents. The other one, with some difficulty, due to the noted ability for NPCs to see you through otherwise visible geometry at times. My vents all worked, coming down from the roof anyway but there are plenty of other weird bugs*

I just thought it was funny that they were setting you up to be all sneaky and stealthy and there is literally no reason to be, because no one cares if you walk in the front door, walk into any room in the building, and hack everything in sight

*There is a guard on the stairs down to the research level that is somehow not flagged to be hostile when the place has been evacuated. Just that one as far as I can tell.

e: I've played a lot of this game in the last two weeks, doing the usual "ignore the main quest as soon as the game allows you" and it really does feel like Fallout 4 minus the personality. It's engaging and I've done a lot of the side quests, but it feels like something's missing.

e2: The game very visibly has the classic Gambryo AI state issue where if you load a game while the AI is in an alerted or aggressive state, the AI will be in that state in the newly loaded save too. Also, some NPC conversations can just break because it thinks you've already done them.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 24, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Oh fuuuuck is that what "marks enemies" means? I've also got two levels of the Targeting perk, which again, I just thought was kind of an accuracy boost. That thing is super annoying, I can never tell whether I can actually see a marked enemy or not.

It's great because it makes it impossible to tell if they're behind cover or not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jelly posted:

I don't actually know the answer to this but I've found that just hanging out on a planet until you see a ship land nearby and then go steal it is a pretty decent way for some credits. Not sure if it's something I would actively pursue, but I seize the opportunity when it presents itself.

I seem to keep ending up with Ecliptic ships. Not, like intentionally or anything, it just keeps happening.

I noticed that the early game "enemy" factions aren't actually hostile to you by default except where scripted. You can walk up to Spacers, CF, and Ecliptic mercs and they'll just warn you not to approach, and if you leave they remain neutral. Of course you're still going to get all up in their poo poo to explore the area, and then they get hostile, but they aren't until you do that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

a lot of factions do that. It has been present since at least skyrim. Hostile NPCs will oftentimes warn you to stay away.

I guess my point of comparison would be FO3/NV/4, and the Raiders. I don't remember them ever being non-hostile. In FO4 the merc groups wasn't always hostile, but I think the Raiders always were except in the DLC.

It just caught me off guard because I usually do the stealth archer bit, but one time ran into a Spacer near a mech graveyard who didn't immediately open up on me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OTOH you can make an absolute glass cannon of a tiny ship, which is pretty fun. My main ship so far is one of the Ecliptic ones I stole, stripped down, with the best class A stuff I could mount on it and the Vanguard particle beams. The thing absolutely shreds anything I've run into so far, and it's fast and manoeuvrable enough that it generally doesn't take many hits in 3 or 4 on one battles. I imagine there's a point where it won't be survivable in the higher level systems, but I haven't hit it yet.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 24, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The only bug I've run into with it is there being a duplicate version of the ship on the Hopetown landing pad with no engines that makes it impossible to board from the landing dock on that pad. Other than that it's been fine through a number of revisions.

That said, it's a Bethesda game, so bugs will be random and arbitrary.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IDK, so far if I've taken damage it's from a missile lock I didn't shake, or a broadside from a hundred feet away because someone got up next to me while I was focused on another ship.

The particle cannons can engage most things from way outside the range of ballistics, so they don't usually get much of a chance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Some other bugs that I have in the late game:

The game says I'm trespassing in some cities. But there is no reaction of civs or guards.

I have this status that is 'stuck', it shows 100% of the time, at any planet, city, etc:

In my game, fast travelling on Jemison and specifically within New Atlantis seems to expose me to the vacuum of space, somehow. If I jump between POIs within the city it plays the "exposed to vacuum" sound and I get an environmental status effect as I load in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's a minor annoyance, but also, there are no airlocks within New Atlantis, it's entirely habitable with breathable atmosphere and temperate climate. It's also not a persistent state bug, it's just a brief environmental status effect applied as you load in after a fast travel within the city, if I have a suit and helmet on it will trigger the protection regen instead.

Mostly it's funny because it makes it seem like you're actually warping through the planet or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Lockpicking gets way faster when you get the upgrade that turns the ring blue if a key will fit. Count the number of slots so you know what combination you'll need ("7 slots, so I need a 4 and a 3 or two 3s and a 1") then quickly go through the keys to find which ones work for that.

Lock picking gets faster, but it's not any less tedious when they do poo poo like putting a master locked safe, a master locked storage crate, and a master locked weapons locker behind a master locked door. Even better, whatever the gently caress they've done with loot placement, even in the "hand crafted" PoI is a loving joke, and one of those three will be literally empty, another one will contain some random raw materials, and the last one will have a randomly levelled gun with no special properties and somewhere around 200 credits.

I used to love sneaking around breaking into things in the FO games, because they generally put things of value inside of high difficulty locked containers. For some reason they decided not to do that here, and then they went entirely ham on locking everything that could possibly contain loot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

isndl posted:

I put a shielded cargo module on my ship for the hell of it rather than any actual necessity, and I guess it's finally going to pay off. Looted an Ecliptic base and left with about 114kg of contraband with a combined value of 507k. Of course, I'm only going to be able to get about 65k out of that because I didn't put points into Commerce, but at least I won't have to spend a couple weeks sleeping at the Den to unload all of it. Too bad I already have 3 million credits and nothing to spend it on.

Skill magazine buffs are also supposed to carry over, I believe.

I just traded it all to the Trade Authority guy in The Den for whatever ammo he had in inventory, then hopped around a bit selling all the ammo back to various vendors. Money laundering in space.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Or New Homestead, where the entire upper complex, including the farm is apparently -180° and a frostbite risk.

If they actually enabled environmental hazards for NPCs half the population of the galaxy would die. The bug where an NPC exiting a hab while you enter can force both airlock doors open at the same time would be pretty funny though.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 25, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I hijacked the Ecliptic Dagger that lands at Vulture's Roost and then discovered that it has so little fuel I couldn't get to a spaceport without hopping through Kryx. That was fun, had to jump in and boost away from the CF ships until the grav drive spooled up again.

That ship sucked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It could mutate into something that kills people.

Given everything we went through (and are still going through) with Covid, I though the microbe was a very short sighted choice given that the alien dinosaurs will also fix the problem without any potential side effects other than some random cow tipper getting eaten cause he wanted to gently caress with them.

At one point they reference a "1-in-a-million chance of mutation". You're talking about an aerosolized microbe, you'd have thousands of 1-in-a-million events every day on every planet in the known system. The game doesn't acknowledge this because it's pop-sci nonsense, but those are really bad odds when you're dealing with poo poo that can go haywire in unknown ways.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

On londinion:

what the hell was I doing with the antennas to make all the terrormorphs want to kill the big daddy and not attack me when they were done

They handwave some nonsense about the other fauna being controlled by pheromones or some poo poo, but then, also, turning on the bombed out radar makes them go nuts and attack the terrormorph. None of this matters if you just focus fire on the terrormorph because it'll die in about 30 seconds and then the other animals are immediately non-hostile because they use vampire thrall rules or something

This is "I loving love science!" the game. It's all nonsense, it's not even particularly internally consistent, but whatever, just go have fun with it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 29, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The science is all made up and completely arbitrary and it doesn't matter which option you choose because neither has any negative consequences in the game as-is. That said, if you're presented with the choice of existing predatory fauna that is a known quantity, having been farmed and herded across the system for years, or a brand new custom built contagion with a "one-in-a million chance of mutation", one of those things is guaranteed to be a lot safer than the other.

I can only hope they introduce some kind of follow up for the choice in the DLC, even if it's just something on SSNN radio or whatever.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 28, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gonna have to start planet hopping just to find that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IMO the real charm of Bethesda games has always been finding silly ways to exploit the game mechanics and break the whole thing over your knee.

Morrowind was loving brilliant and it wasn't because it was perfectly balanced. If you sand all the edges off and rubberize everything it's a lot less fun.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Why do I have an environmental status effect for poor air quality, on Mars?

I'm wearing a sealed suit. How is this a thing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Section Z posted:

Why does this bother me?

Starfield has traditional food instead of sealing everything into opaque bags, AND Chunks space snacks. Then it taunts you with a visible interior Chunks food printing machine... that does nothing? It seems to be just for show. Sometimes just to rub it in they put it next to a more generic chunks vending machine that actually works.

I already know that they use a wasteful 9 trillion polygon model for their sandwiches, which keep respawning into my cargo holds every time I look at another ship funny let alone edit my current one. But it bothers me, don't show me a wacky food maker machine everywhere that does nothing :argh:

Bethesda has been spoiled by New Vegas fans that think only pain is realistic survival gameplay, and not all the ways we can conveniently protect ourselves from the elements. I am expecting more mods that make it so we have to keep eating chunks apples to avoid scurvy while changing it so we can only eat or drink stuff that comes in a sippy pouch while wearing a helmet, than I am mods that make food a viable source of health even after the snacking talents.

The entire environmental status effect thing seems like, at best, about 30% implemented and then somehow shipped. It exists, sometimes statuses happen in response to conditions in places where you'd expect, mitigated by your equipment. Mostly they don't and it's a bunch of loose bits interacting with the player character at random, for an experience that is completely broken and generally frustrating.

I'd say it's Bethesda as hell, but this is definitely worse than their usual, IDK how any of these would get missed in play testing, the bugs are way too common. You can tell why NPCs are immune, and it's because the game would literally be unplayable if they weren't, but knowing that, why have it affect the player character at all?

Presumably the other survival mechanics work about as well.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 30, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I got one yesterday with an [INACCESIBLE] tagged door with a quest NPC behind it*. Finally decided to break out the console since I didn't have a save I could revert to that would have fixed it without losing hours of progress.

At 80 something hours in, this is definitely an improvement for Bethesda.

*I think some quest triggers may break depending on how you use fast travel, because like everything else in this game there are a million little edge cases and the quest scripting doesn't always account for them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No, it was the quest from a miner on Cydonia where you have to talk to her father to get him to stop stalking her, in his hotel room on Neon.

The hotel room door is marked [INACCESSIBLE] until you go talk to the receptionist, except if you go talk to the receptionist before checking the door, apparently a non-zero amount of the time it just never gets flagged as interactible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IMO more=better. Power usage just determines reload times, so if you have more weapons you will fire more at once and reload may not even matter.

The downside being weight, if it's enough to drop your mobility significantly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't joined the CF and I've experienced exactly two in 84 hours of game play, outside of the one that always exists when you warp into Kryx without being a CF member

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The kinda big thing missing is any sense of exploration. Like I'm nearing the end of the game and thought I'd explore all those level 75 systems at the edge of the map...went to one or two and it's just the same proc-gen bases with some higher level stuff in them.

Don't think DLC will ever fix that

Having done some random hops to see if there's anything cool, I get the distinct impression there isn't, there aren't really any hand crafted PoIs in the high level systems. Presumably because they're high level systems, so people might not go that far, so why put the effort in? And at that point I have similar feelings as a player.

There's no drive for discovery, because I know with relative certainty that it's the same handful of buildings I've seen everywhere else I've landed, with some random baddies and random levelled loot. Even in FO4 there were PoIs in the radioactive crater that were an absolute slog to get to that contained at least a unique item and some world building flavour text on the terminals. Starfield doesn't even have that.

e: I'm finding a lot about this game that feels like they just stopped making the game about 2/3rds of the way in, for some reason.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I discovered that if you board a ship full of non-hostile NPCs on a planet the game still tells you to kill the crew or leave, but you can just walk up and sit in the pilot seat, at which point the game softlocks with the camera located just inside your head.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Starfield is really disappointing. It's not bad, but it's just bland. Most of my traveling is hitting L, R, X and showing up at where I need to be, and any actual travel is via cutscenes. All the POIs are the same. The thing that made Skyrim and Fallout so great was the environmental storytelling, which I've barely found any of in Starfield.

Like it's fun, but it's also aggressively mid.

e: I got it for free buying and AMD processor that I was going to buy anyway. If I had bought the game I would be mad about buying it.

I've run into a few ransacked abandoned PoIs including at least one starstation that are eerie but contain no clues, environmental or textual about what happened. No enemies and a small random selection of resources and levelled items. In previous Bethesda games there would have been diary entries or system logs on computers or slates or voice recorders telling a short story about what happened to the inhabitants. In Starfield there's nothing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

I wonder if they figured having breakdown events would be too much friction for the average player. I bet a significant portion of players don't even want to interact with the space flying parts, let alone have more ship-centric gameplay.

It feels like so many edges were sanded off to make it possible to avoid interacting with the game's systems that a lot of the game exists for no reason.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think I found the same place and while it's very creepy, and I was fairly anxious thinking that something was going to happen, this was also on my second playthrough when I was little jaded, so I couldn't shake the feeling that really I'd just stumbled onto a station intended to be used in some quest some time, and since I wasn't there "when I was supposed to be" , it was just empty.

I've been running into that more and more as I explore and I have the distinct impression there's just no payoff. This is the game.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 2, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

It amazes me how people complain about things that I thought Bethesda did well in Starfield.

I thought lockpicking was a major improvement. Actually having to think, and be challenged more for difficult locks, and get nicer rewards (most of the time). There's even a standalone game of it.

The mechanic is fine, they've taken to locking everything with master difficulty locks, whether or not it contains any loot at all, let alone worthwhile loot. It gets tedious rapidly when you have 5+ master locks and your reward is been a handful of ammo, a generic pistol, some random resources, and a cred stick containing all of 200 credits.

After the third time I ran into a room like that in a PoI, I stopped picking the locks because it was clear there was no reward for doing so.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The biggest lol is that you literally win the game by clicking MANIPULATE

I've actually had one of those fail, on the gold bricker on Cydonia who stole the mining equipment, who was uncharacteristically difficult to talk down. I had an easier time convincing CEOs and private army financiers than I did convincing that guy not to throw his life away to get out of a contract.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think some of the difficulty is rose-tinted glasses and 12 years of games that have come out since.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yeah, you still aren’t doing anything.

Starfield: A project management sim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Experimental Skin posted:

Did you take him to Neon? Pretty sure that's the guy from the Juno quest, you're meant to taxi him and his buddy to Neon.

I too did that and they just hung out in the lander bay for a while. Not "inside" the ship, they just didn't leave the bay. Presumably they fell out the back the next time I took off, which is what appears to happen to anything sitting in the landing bay on takeoff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The persuade mechanic is also hilarious because it's a lot of randomized choices with one or two character/conversation specific options that you may not even see on any given attempt.

Ask the space bartender to put up a poster, get four green +1 non sequiturs and a red +6 to call her an "obstinate bitch".

This is basically repeated in 90% of the persuade attempts in the game outside of a few more detailed quest ones.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe Bethesda has never had "good" writing, but they have had people lock themselves in their apartments for week long acid benders to write lore and flavour text, so it's hard to argue it hasn't been better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's a repeating bark from the faction guards that goes something like "Hey, you're out there a lot. Just promise me you'll never become one of those Spacers..."

Oh yeah, sure thing bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

From a guard on The Den.

They were born on that tin can and they're going to die there.