Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Scott Forstall posted:

thoughts on characters you want to RP as?

from sci-fi media, so far I'm planning for:

-Jean-Luc Picard (diplomat, good at ship combat, explorer, with a Riker-type companion)
-Ridley (bad-rear end space trucker lady)
-Cooper from Interstellar (farmer, pilot, explorer)

I also want to do a neon space rat cyber runner hacker.

Just hard to decide what to do as my main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Khanstant posted:

How do you eat chunks? Are they soft enough to just bit into or are the corners going to make you want to heat and soften it or use a knife and knife to eat it?

I would imagine a consistency more or less similar to pre-cooked sausages without the casing.

Edit: The high point for me so far has been the Lair of the Mantis, and the one real strong black humor/tragicomic moment it hits you with near the end.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 4, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

But every shipbuilder offers different parts right, so there's no one interface you can access to see them all?

Yeah, if you want a total kitbash you have to fly around different places. I haven't gotten far enough to know if mechanically better parts are also limited to specific places, but all the upgrades seem to have the same approximate shape as the previous tier, so that shouldn't affect aesthetics much.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

This goes back to my critique that the game isn't taking into account that many locations are in vacuum and thus, you shouldn't be able to hear gunfire or footsteps. Still need to formally test this since I have Sarah with me and I usually encounter pirates inside places with no room to maneuver. I suppose if you kill one at least they might have something that alerts his squad, like how when you shoot Combine in Half Life 2 they make that boooo-beeeeeep noise and their dispatch calls out unit down.

Cut to Sarah walking around on a 0% oxygen moon without a spacesuit

Thinking about it, all the space stuff would be a lot more evocative if they actually gave a poo poo about sound design in general for places without atmosphere, the sealed helmets you're constantly wearing, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Holy crap this game looks 100x better with those hideous washed out color filters disabled.

Who the gently caress added those in and said to themselves "yes, this is definitely an improvement." Jesus.

What mod are you using for that, on that note?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TremorX posted:

Before release, Todd Howard mentioned how they used Traveller as their main inspiration. So, having inherited a massive set from a passed relative, I started digging into it out of interest. The system is neat, and I can see where they were 'inspired by,' especially 2300AD.

But where it really misses is in how well Traveller handles the massive expense of spaceship ownership and operation. There's almost no expense to speak of and buying and building new ones is relatively cheap - it'd be like pawning a few old car stereos in trade for a brand new Semi that never needs gas. The whole economy in Starfield feels completely tacked-on and low-effort - people will randomly just hand you $2,000 while you're walking down the street for being you. Money means so little and is so easy to come by that it undercuts any struggles the various characters are going through as the result of not having any.

For comparison for those who don't know Traveller, a typical motivation for PCs in that game is that buying even a secondhand starship split a dozen ways is a massive expense well beyond the means of most people, so you absolutely have to immediately do all kinds of PC-grade odd job nonsense to try and scrounge up a lot of money all the time.

I think where Bethesda really shot themselves in the foot here was that (a) you lose your ship(s) when you NG+ and (b) you can't take modules off other ships. Because of both, you have to be able to do all the ship stuff with money in one playthrough, which means it all has to be cheap enough to do that.

ChocNitty posted:

Is there a mission that introduces you to base building? The game hasn't explained poo poo about that. I don't even know if the base parts I can craft are purely for aesthetics, or if they do something.

I haven't bothered yet because trying to find a good spot for even the basics to cover further outpost building (iron, helium-3, aluminum, beryllium) is a pain in the rear end. You have to put in perks in before you can even see the rare resource overlaps on the world maps, and even then what resources are available where just seems totally random to me compared to that world map. Frankly the Fallout 4 settlement system was easier to get into than this, even without mods.

RandomBlue posted:

The included color filters are astoundingly bad.

Also kind of horrifying on OLED or mini-LED because it absolutely destroys any true blacks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Al! posted:

i like the color filters

Have you tried not being wrong?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The real problem with the color filters isn't that they color things, it's that Bethesda uses LUTs to basically just color-swap the entire screen (and fucks up HDR in the process), instead of things that would affect colors but still preserve proper white and black levels.

Probably the starkest contrast I can think of is Cyberpunk 2077, which does its atmospherics with extensive use of in-game lighting (with a little cheating here and there with ambient, but still in-engine, light sources) and so all the highs and lows still work entirely as expected.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Archonex posted:

Then we go and just gently caress off to an alternate reality instead. :lol:

I gotta say, all I could think about that was my character has the Kid Stuff trait, so if I do this thing the game is encouraging me to do, they're never going to see their parents again (just alternate reality versions). It makes it feel kind of depressing instead of being an exciting adventure.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Play posted:

are the color filters a photo mode thing or something you have to turn on and off. cause I haven't noticed anything but it might be like when you're wearing some dumb super tinted glasses and then you take them off and go wow, so this is what everyone else was seeing

Go into literally any cave in the game, find somewhere that should be dark, and consider how much of your screen is grey instead of black.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GruntyThrst posted:

The more I play the more I hate the skill system. Don't put a bunch of cool poo poo in your game and go "lol you get enough skill points to do 1/4 of this get owned"

It's because the game is pushing you to NG+ if you want to actually use any of the high-tier stuff.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 10, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The more I think about Starfield, the more I think it would have been a way better game if it was all just set in a single giant solar system (think Firefly) with no FTL jumps and no procgen anything, just the entire set of non-procgen content in the game crammed in there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still think basic food/water survival stuff would be really stupid in Starfield but there is surely some kind of friction that would provide an interesting challenge to the player beyond shooting and getting shot.

Presumably that was the whole point of the outpost system: build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so you can build outposts to have enough fuel to travel out further so...

That still would have sucked, though, because there's poo poo-all to actually explore and there's no thematic reason that you're the one who has to build all this stuff when there's already outposts on every single planet you visit.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I reinstalled Fallout 4 this week because TV show and incoming patch, and even knowing what's in it the gameplay experience of leaving the Vault and walking out into a crafted world is just so fundamentally different to anything I experienced playing Starfield. You are absolutely right, the game isn't fixable, the best that could happen is that someone takes the technical work Bethesda have done and use it to craft an entirely new game.

In F4, the experience of just wandering around and running into random new stuff around every corner (quests, interesting builds, funny skeleton poses) is the strongest part of the game.

In Starfield, the experience of just wandering around is running into the same stuff you've already seen a dozen times for each new thing, and every time you want to check if there's anything new or not you have to go through a loading screen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

First off, cut way the gently caress back on the total number of planets. Sorry, Todd, your talking point about 1000 worlds or whatever needs to go.

Just put it all in one mega-star-system like BSG (2003) or Firefly. No loading times between systems because there's one system.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

this might make sense if starfield had any of those things

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Mantis base also has what I think is the best (black) comedy moment in the game, where the guy who was supposed to inherit all the stuff was unofficiously killed by turrets because his mother thought he'd understand her chintzy secret message, and at the end you get her schmaltzy congratulatory message to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo I’d drop 70 for NV redone in the FO4 engine in a heartbeat. Like zero hesitation, zero deliberation, just auto purchase.

:same: