Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Section Z posted:

Uuuugh I am so sick of game breaking bugs trying to steal ships even just to sell because I can't rename them anyways. I thought I got a handle on it, avoiding boarding ships if cops were around shooting them, thinking the game got confused by ships being shot to 'death' during docking animations. But belated space cops turning up while you are clearing the ship also seem to trigger the access hatch on ships vanishing.

Oh boy time to throw another C class timeline in the garbage. Reloading the save to fighting it and it is also kind of teleporting around, and I guess this particular ship was just cursed in the first place?

Why can’t you rename your ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I don’t think I’ve ever kept a single stolen ship. Is there a way to just completely break them down into parts that I can keep and use on other builds? I tried it a couple of times but might have been too high to figure it out.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just use the command console.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well, beat the game and then ran through NG+ super fast just to see if I’d get one of those funny Constellation things but didn’t. I had fun with it, put about 80 hours in between two different characters. Guess it’s time to uninstall this for a year and a half until there are 4 million mods and user made expansions with AI generated voice acting better than in the vanilla game. After which I will proceed to spend roughly 800 hours playing the game over the next decade.

Honestly, this is my favorite part of the Bethesda game cycle.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

staberind posted:

"don't worry, i wont let you wipe your arse with anything that will kill you quickly"

Nothing better than a slow drawn out butt poison.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

In case you need a new bedspread for your race car bed

https://twitter.com/BethesdaGear/status/1727082006410838188

Better take the introvert perk because no companions are gonna hop into those sheets.

I don’t think they’re that bad. If they had existed when I was a kid I would have loved them

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Flubby posted:

Stealth archer was overpowered but the other reason to go for it every time is that melee combat is terrible. Going at someone with a sword felt like beating a mannequin with a plastic bat. At least in Skyrim you got a kill-cam. You didn't even get that in Oblivion. Your were rewarded with an akward ragdoll after getting them to say "Oof!" and " Nya Arrrrg!" enough times. The Morder games are a little dated themselves being Batman combat, but years beyond what Elder Scrolls calls a fight. I really want to know how ES6 is going to handle that. I can't imagine it being that same thing when it comes out in 2027 or so. It just can"t be.

Ha! Of course it's going to be almost the same exact combat system as Skyrim with maybe a few things tweaked or made even simpler. Hoping for something different from Bethesda is just silly. They're the McDonald's of game studios. No matter how much advertising or spin they put on it, a McDeluxe is just a quarter pounder with mayo and lettuce on it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
if I'm ever a billionaire I'll buy Rockstar and demand they make an open world fantasy game. That oughta do it!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My useless ship inventory filled to the brim with garbage because I had the audacity to change ships. Kryx would have the beginnings of a ring system based on how many markers and darts I’ve jettisoned in orbit.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

The ship thing is actually to prevent what you see with the apartment.

Every time you alter the layout or change ships it has to re-load the whole thing. So all the crap in it would get destroyed. This is also why the fix for having dead bodies stuck in your cockpit is to go fiddle in the ship designer.

Well, if people put their fancy gun on a rack in their ship and it gets vanished into the void they'll be mad, so they set it up to flush the entire contents of the ship into storage when that would happen. The result is having a billion succulents, bic pens, and work out weights in your ship inventory with the upside that if you actually decorated your ship your poo poo isn't gone either.

Why they didn't use that exact same system to toss your apartment contents into a storage locker when a quest forces a reload is an exercise left to the reader. I'm putting my money on "Team A had no idea what Team B was doing so wasn't aware of their fix to a similar issue."

I would have loved spending time in my ship had they ever given me a reason to. It should have felt like a bastion of safety and familiarity in a harsh dangerous unexplored galaxy. Instead it’s an additional load screen vector that I started avoiding.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The most offensive thing about this game is the weird filter they used making everything looked washed out and flat. Like the entire game has spent years baking under a desert sun.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
There was a dead NPC I found in a dungeon in BG3 that had a note and a teddy bear about how they were bringing that to their buddy who was trapped further in the dungeon. I picked up the note and teddy bear since “take all” is just as easy to hit as “close” and kept my party moving. After a bit more exploring I found his buddy’s dead body, so I looted it. I was walking away, but something struck me. This guy’s friend died trying to help him and bring him a bit of comfort, so I put the teddy bear into the dead guy’s inventory before continuing on.

Nothing special happened, no achievement or unique dialogue, but that tiny bit of role playing made my good guy durge run just that little bit deeper.

That said, in Skyrim, Oblivion, and the Fallouts I found little things to role play like that all the time. The gossipy bar maid that I decided was my friend in some tiny town that I’d chat with whenever I was sleeping at the inn. My adopted kid getting excited when I gave them a toy sword I found in some bandit camp. You know, little stuff like that that let me use my imagination a bit. This game has almost none of that that I could find.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This may be dumb since I don't know much about mod creation, but couldn't modders just mod the old mod tool kit to work with this?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It's been said a million times, but they eliminated exploring from their space exploration game.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I just kinda figured they haven't released it yet because they're afraid it'll be poorly received and be the nail in the coffin. Right now fans of the game are saying "mods can fix this" and I think they've cobbled together the game in such a way that making mods is going to be clunky and difficult.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
TES6 will be fine because they won't have to make up lore and they'll be limited to one map. Bethesda sucks at being creative but they're usually good at making maps interesting.

My big fear is how much they'll use procedurally made dungeons vs all the good environmental storytelling they've been known for until this game.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, the ships are pretty fun but I wish there was more to do with them. Like be able to fly them somewhere.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They played around with survival modes in development, but they weren’t fun so they cut them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think they can’t get the mod tools to work so they’re just padding out these patches to make it seem like they’re super busy “fixing” things. I can’t wait for those tools to finally release. Either there’s gonna be a poo poo storm of griping modders or we’ll finally have all the big boobed anime wives and realistic buttholes on terrormorphs us fans require of a Bethesda game.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

The big naval flag ship that UC Sec has wrote some checks that didn't get cashed. There are some fairly large ships in Starfield, but they fight exactly like the smallest ships from the start of the game.

I never had wing commander or tie fighter growing up, but I remember spending a lot of time blasting away at the Star Destroyer in the final Shadows of the Empire level on the n64, and Starfield didn't meaningfully advance my fantasy past that point.

No capital ship or star station battles might be one of my biggest gripes about this game. I still remember fighting one of those huge Kilrathi carriers for the first time in Wing Commander 3 and flying through the landing bay blowing up unscrambled fighters is one of the absolute coolest video game memories I have.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I want the Creation Kit to drop so modders can muddle together a decent chunk of game somehow. Or import all of Skyrim onto any of the 994 completely empty soulless planets.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t figure out how these relate to one another.

I’m assuming the “standout” quests. I’d say Skyrim’s was probably either A Night to Remember or Discerning the Transmundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Flowing Thot posted:

This is another reason why landing anywhere on any planet is a bad idea to base your game on.

I stopped landing on random planets like 5 hours into my game when I jumped all the way to edge of the galaxy just to find the same science facility with the same bad guys that I had just found right outside Akila city.