Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The UI/controls are impressively bad. Combat feels like rear end too, both on the ground and in space. I hope it gets better, but I doubt it will.

I know I expected a Bethesda game in space but god drat I didn't expect it to be like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It just baffles me because by all accounts Starfield should have been The Game For Me.

I have thousands of hours combined between Skyrim and FO4. I've made my own internal-use mods and ripped apart existing ones for combability and rebalancing.

I absolutely love space-based RPGs much more than traditional fantasy ones.

I've got hundreds of hours in assorted spaceship building indie games.

This game is laser focused on my interests on the surface.

But Starfield? I have like 60 hours in and haven't touched it since the month it came out, and that includes a bunch of time where I forgot to exit out before leaving my house. Every now and then I check on the game and just laugh at the state of it. There's absolutely nothing drawing me back to play it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Some of my friends are still in complete denial over the core mechanics of the game, or lack thereof. Like full on sitting in the fetal position rocking themselves back and forth going "mods will fix this" over and over.

Mods can fix some things. Mods cannot fix the mess that is this game. It's a lot easier to modify existing mechanics and a lot harder to put them in. You're not going to be able to change the fundamental components and give the game life.

I get why they used essentially the same core engine backend yet again but good lord, please make a new system Bethesda.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I actually liked the starfield hacking thing. What I didn't like was how mandatory it was because unlike in Skyrim the ability to unlock things wasn't in direct opposition to other skills I wanted. I could just level my lockpick up by picking locks and eventually pick the highest locks. In Starfield I have to invest like 3-4 points (I forget which) because there are no 1-100 skill levels in individual skills anymore, and now I don't have those points to make shooty bits or flying bits easier.

That particular grievance at least is something modding can kinda fix. I thought it was bullshit that I couldn't just rip a mod off a looted gun and put it on another one. Goddamn FO4 let you do that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The easiest way is to just use the console command right before you go into the unity to set the next universe to a specific one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Having made my own mods / modified existing mods for compatibility and tweaks for both Skyrim and FO4, I just...don't see the CK saving it. There's a lot of deep flaws in the game that no amount of modding is going to be able to resolve, and putting more and more coats of paint over the rotting wood doesn't solve it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't recall the last lifecycle for FO4 but I'm pretty sure they weren't essentially radio silent for six months on any content DLC. Scrolling past my steam feed and the only thing that's come out has been some bug fixes, lighting changes, and improvements to photo mode.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I think the game is dead to the powers that be and this is probably all we're going to get.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the thing that made me the most angry about loading screens was how some random shops would be instanced and others would not. Like there's this huge (for a bethesda game) city and all these shops are in the open world but one or two in particular that aren't even linked to quests are behind a loading screen. Why.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's either terrible project management that they don't have anything to show, or terrible strategic communications that it's been this long with radio silence. Or both - because it's probably both.

CDPR, Hello Games, etc. all practically *immediately* jumped on the "we're sorry it's not up to the expectations of the fans" bandwagon. There were roadmaps, promises, press tours, reddit AMAs, etc. to attempt to do damage control.

I look on the Steam page and I don't see any of that. If people say 'well, they said it elsewhere' then...they should put it on the Steam page. The place where I bought the game, and every other developer and publisher has figured out to link their interviews and press statements.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It also added depth to the loot drops because you could rip those more advanced mods out and put them on something else, encouraging you to check every item. In Starfield it’s just scrap, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The NG+ system as they designed it would be a lot more forgiving if there was anything to do other than sometimes make a quip that skips a fetch component of a quest.