Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Honestly, as long as it's basically Fallout 4/Skyrim IN SPACE, I'll probably be more than happy with it. The ability to mod the bejesus out of the other two games has given them a long lifespan, so let's hope Starfield will be going along similar lines.

This is what I really wanted, but it sounds like Starfield won't even be that. It'll be more like No Man's Sky, so all of the cool side quests, lore, and world building that we've come to associate with Elder Scrolls and Fallout, will be gone in favor of endless exploration. The question will be if that exploration will actually be worth while and interesting. What was shown yesterday raises a lot of red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tombot posted:

The only thing I did not like in what I saw was how the various character's eyes look. They are all weird and shiny in ways that don't seem possible and they don't look at you the way they should.

The character model quality, and customization, is basically the same as Fallout 4. Disappointing, because Fallout 4 is so dated and never really looked good. Bethesda has always had big problems with character models.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

you know, i see a lot of people who say stuff like "i'm glad it'll be free on game pass" but like, outer Worlds is on game pass and yet i ain't had any desire to install it and finish it

It might be worth playing Outer Worlds now if you're at all interested in Starfield. I really liked the game myself, but I know I am the odd one out, but Outer Worlds is basically a very small much more contained Starfield. What it lacks in gigantic size, it makes up for in what looks like much better lore building and world building. I can see myself liking Outer Worlds 2 more than Starfield, but I am excited for both games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

my prediction, in spoiler tags because i'm pretty sure i'm right:

all of the mysterious talking space rocks you find are part of an elder device. after about 80 hours of gameplay exploring dozens of worlds and consulting with researchers and mystics, you finally locate the origin of the device -- an uncharted planet in the talos system.

when you arrive, you discover the planet is inhabited by a pre-industrial civilization. you land on the largest continent and are immediately confronted by soldiers equipped with metal armor and swords. they accuse of you of being some kind of rebel. you try to escape, but they capture you and you're knocked unconscious.

a dream sequence begins. you are in a featureless void and a large human(?) stands in front of you howling with laughter. if you try to interact, the mad cackling only intensifies. there's no way out and after after 10 minutes of non-stop overlapping laugh-tracks, you assume the game must be glitched and exit out.

when you start the game again and reload your save, you're still in the dream sequence, but this time the laughing figure has a name - sheogorath. in a few seconds the screen fades to black, and you wake up in a cart among a group of prisoners. they call themselves "stormcloaks"

You just know this will be modded in at some point if nothing else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The more I think about the presentation yesterday, the biggest red flag for me, and probably a lot of people, is when they showed the size of a single planet, and it had just one single landmark location. The excitement would be much higher if the planet map had been filled with landmarks and other markers with things to see and do. The optimist in me wants to believe that this stuff is just filled in as you play and explore a planet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I want to be able to put a brig on my ship. I want to actually take a bounty quest, fly across the system, capture a guy, throw him in the brig and come back and get my money. Then I want to pick up a bunch of cargo crates and ferry them to another system and get paid. I will do this until the heat death of the universe/my pc.

I don't care about gunplay or aliens, I just want to live out my Firefly-esque fantasies.

I look forward to being disappointed.

I really badly want this too, but there is no way it's happening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

How long has this game been actively in development, do we know?

Since at least Bethesda finished Fallout 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like they just said gently caress it and used a story generator for this. Which is odd because it's not like Bethesda hasn't written really good storylines before. Morrowind had an amazing storyline and really badass end game boss that was just insane.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You know what? As much as I rip on Starfield for its dull looking planets, it's still miles deeper and better looking than Star Citizen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Don't know if you guys are watching the Todd Howard interview right now, but there's some new information.

edit :

Some takeaways I've got :

- no seamless transitions from space to planet, will be done through a loading animation
- it will be clear to the player when a planet is handcrafted and when it is procgen, didn't specify how
- 4 big cities
- 200,000 lines of dialogue

and other stuff i already forgot

All of that sounds pretty reasonable, which is rare for Todd Howard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still suspect that Starfield will be the biggest launch on Game Pass in its history, and will sell like 20 million copies day one. Now whether or not it can keep that momentum is another question. Cyberpunk sold extremely well, but no one was praising it at launch and then talk about it stopped very quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The main storyline is supposedly 30 - 40 hours long.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think anything else in this thread is going to top the unhinged posting spree on this page. At least not until Starfield launches.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've warmed up a bit more to Starfield since all of the details started coming out about it this week. The initial gameplay reveal was weak, but once Todd started talking about how the game will actually play and what is in it, I am back to being excited again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

Basically fantasy developing here but with a thousand procgen planets a great feature would be to upload your settlement and have it show up on some of the barren rocks in someone else’s game.

Showing off settlements was the one good part of FO76

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has an awesome feature where you can create your own quests and then upload them and everyone can play them. I really hope your idea gets in there too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Star Wars Squadrons did the bare-bones version of that recently. Guessing we'll see the same here.

Call me stupid all you want but I look forward to Starfield and was legit bummed when hearing it was delayed to next year.

Nah, Starfield so far looks really great and I am excited as heck for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

Check out Returnal.

Yeah this, Returnal is extremely good, and it's apparently coming to Steam at some point in the near future.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side we have confirmation that the handcrafted parts make up a total area that is larger than Skyrim, and Fallout 4. So that is still a lot of actual interesting content and things to do. I wonder if there will be an option to take on randomly generated missions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't expect Starfield to be earth shattering and shake up the game industry. Bethesda has never made any games like that, and that is totally fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With it being Quakecon this weekend, will there hopefully be anything new about Starfield?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I accept creation engine because of the mods. That is absolutely necessary for a Bethesda game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of, happy birthday Fallout 1. :toot:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

New info and a first look at the dialogue system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNimT0O8LE

Content Warning: Todd Howards face is in this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao this is amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping Bethesda will have some news soon about Starfield's new release date.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I would guess the earliest we see it is Fall 2023 at this point.

I hate to accept this but yeah pretty much. I would think we would know something by now if it was early 2023.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Todd over promised a lot of stuff on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I don't really care that much for his games, I think they are overrated, but Starfield is a dream come true RPG for me, so I am really excited for that and just want a release date already.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No way this will be a star citizen. By all accounts there's already something playable, and it doesn't have the endless amount of nerds money laundering funding it for perpetuity.

Yeah, it's complete madness that people are trying to compare this to Star Citizen. They are not even remotely the same. Bethesda has an actual proven track record of releasing AAA games, with a history that goes all the way back to the 80s. CIG is a game studio made up of largely very inexperienced game devs that are brand new to the industry, none of them have put out a game of any kind yet, and their founder / game director left the project in 2018.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Not to be an rear end, because I know tastes differ and there's no such thing as an objectively great game, but what makes this a dream rpg for you?

You're not being an rear end at all! The gigantic open galaxy of Starfield, being a sci-fi RPG with space flight, and exploring planets freely and openly. It completely blows my mind that they are doing this with 1000 planets, and as far as we know right now, all of those planets are massive, even if the gameplay loop is likely going to be randomly generated missions on mostly empty planets. I'm hopeful based on Elder Scrolls, and Fallout, that the modding community will make Starfield explode in content, and anime waifu character models.

No Man's Sky actually also comes extremely close to my dream game. That one is amazing too because it's all done seamlessly, and offers everything now that Star Citizen has promised.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It worries me that there is like zero new footage in this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Back Hack posted:

It's definitely weird how wishy-washy they've been, we have yet to see any consistent gameplay that wasn't a bunch of 30 second gameplay snippits glued together randomly, and that includes that showcase they did.

I'm thinking Starfield is probably not coming out until near the end of 2023, it wouldn't surprise me if it was pushed into 2024.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Honestly I would be happy with that, there's so many good games coming out this year I need some of them to get pushed back.

Now if all of them get pushed back then that's a problem...

I don't think my heart can handle what happened in 2020 (this exact scenario occurred). :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bestheda claims that Starfield has 30% more handcrafted content compared to their next largest game, Fallout 4. So outside of that content, the world of Starfield is likely to be pretty boring and fixed with randomly generated missions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandepande posted:

Much of Fallout 4's map was a desolate wilderness, so maybe it'll work out.

And really I don't mind randomly generated content, as long as it has a fun gameplay loop. Elite Dangerous added this in its most recent expansion, but it ended up being crap because the content was too difficult. You spent forever traveling to your mission, landing, and then getting one shot by the enemy AI. The rewards were never worth it for finishing these missions either. Starfield being a single player offline only RPG, should be a lot better about this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elder Scrolls Online is my dream Elder Scrolls game and it already exists, I just wish it wasn't a games as a service MMORPG. Still a good game though, I just hate the online only part. Elder Scrolls is all about mods to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Todd Howard is in the release date announcement video, so I know it's not hitting that September 5th date.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LionArcher posted:

If I play switch PS5 mostly, I guess I just have to track down a xbox one digital or s then? Hopefully I can get one cheap in a deal between now and then.

You absolutely will be able to. Xbox Series S is basically being given away at this point. They are on sale for $100 - $150 off pretty constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I guess I never really listened to Todd Howard pre-release hype before but I don't really understand the hate he gets. He seems to genuinely enjoy making these games and for all their faults they're still some of the best games being made.

He over promises stuff, and people feel like his hype comes across as insincere. He isn't a very charismatic person, and I think nowadays in general people are just tired of corporate mouth pieces and have a distrust of it because it all feels like carefully crafted PR and manipulation. People want to see gameplay, not an employee trying to appeal to us as if they are our friend who is hyped for this game alongside us. Keep the whole thing entirely transactional and leave it at that. Its cool for game devs to have some boundaries, Todd Howard is not my friend and I don't care about him.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Gonna play the poo poo out of this terrible game and love every moment of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Same, though heavily-modded and after a few patches, of course.

gently caress that, I am playing day 1 in order to feel the crushing disappointment of waiting years for this. It's the only time I feel alive now.