Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Eventual mod:

Rimworld in Starfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

the "1000 planets" thing was the biggest turn off for me. it just means the design is a few set piece locations and then the other 99.9999% is just procedural filler that i won't care about at all. of course, all elder scrolls games are like that too, with the random forests and mountains being mostly generated and lightly tweaked by hand, but the ratio will be even worse in starfield.

i have nothing wrong with procedurally generated stuff when it suits the gameplay, like enemies/levels in diablo or hades, or a crafting game like minecraft or terraria. maybe they will do something good with it, but i assume it will just be: go to this random jungle to get vines for building your settlement. ok, now go to this barren rock and get tungsten for your settlement. ok, now go to this iceworld and harvest gas for your settlement.

i'm sure i'll still play it.

Yeah I'm with you there. My best hope is that there's a "core" of highly detailed planets to work with/explore and look around on, then a subset of procgen "radiant" worlds with the copypasted dungeons or resource nodes separated out from the main path.

Worst case scenario: The procgen worlds are the "locations" with one set piece location and a bunch of barren filler, and flying from planet to planet is the "overworld"

Given how Skyrim's funniest bugs involved horses or dragons, I expect the glitch compilations to be both hilarious and mostly the flight mechanic going extremely wrong.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Theotus posted:

Bethesda games scratch a certain itch in my brain so I will buy and play this game.

pretty much this for most of us I'm guessing

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Everybody mocks TES because you always end up being a stealth archer, but at least you can become a stealth archer, that's something (and I for one never played an archer character). Meanwhile in Bethesda Fallouts where all you have is a gun and everybody else also has a gun, you are doomed to be a generic shootyman in a below average shootyman game

Hey now that's not quite fair, sneak unarmed builds basically turn you into Judomaster teleporting into a crowd and beating the poo poo outta everyone

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The alien artifacts are pieces of a large planet sized "halo" shaped object, and if this "halo" object is completed it will destroy all life in the galaxy

I think it's based on a book called "the ring that shouldn't blow up"

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it looks like Outer Worlds if they took out all the humour and changed nothing else

Come now The Outer Worlds was basically 10 minutes long

This is hundreds of hours of content, the hot and ready pizza of video gaming

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

I’m honestly impressed with the hustle. That was some high speed high impact posting.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Basically fantasy developing here but with a thousand procgen planets a great feature would be to upload your settlement and have it show up on some of the barren rocks in someone else’s game.

Showing off settlements was the one good part of FO76

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Honestly if I can just build a big room and put every space melon in the world in it the game will earn at least a C+ from me