Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
*gestures around at everything* piss
STONKS
DIAMOND HANDS BIVTCH
buy. the. DIP.
everything is incredibly and profoundly stupid and bad now
Goku stock broker jumping out of highrise window
View Results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Kinda sorta starting to look a litle ugly out there

Im not worried though. Just buy the dip. :haibrower:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’m sure the crypto economy is doing fine though.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
STONKS

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Cool zone incoming.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i invested a little in some volatility index futures and its doing okay =]

also i made a poll

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I am praying for my own death at this point

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

Same

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like how my robinhood app pings my phone constantly all day to tell me everything i own just went down another 5% or is now at a 52 week low, all the lil pings are kinda like getting text messages so I can pretend I have friends who want to talk to me (:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
i dunno, last time I thought it was fine was like in 2001 or something.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

i like how my robinhood app pings my phone constantly all day to tell me everything i own just went down another 5% or is now at a 52 week low, all the lil pings are kinda like getting text messages so I can pretend I have friends who want to talk to me (:

:same:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjWJy5IXQU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm glad I bought all that stuff on credit a while ago, I wouldn't be able to afford it now

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Facebook telling me that Biden pulled the economy lever.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

I’m sure the crypto economy is doing fine though.

I'm a moron and signed up for Coinbase many years ago. Now somehow I keep getting frantic alerts from them "Litecoin is up 5.6%! Litecoin is down 4.8%!" This morning it was "Litecoin is down 18%!"

I dont know why it thinks I care about Litecoin when I never held Litecoin, and also closed out my Coinbase account almost four years ago.

I'm all for hyperinflation - I've been unemployed effectively most of COVID and have rung up ungodly credit card debt. Much like the Fed, I too wish to inflate my way out of paying that poo poo back :regd08:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Better buy some guns to protect us against the economy!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Better buy some guns to protect us against the economy!

Then getting real confused when the economy returns to being black....and good?

naem
May 29, 2011

Hardawn posted:

I'm glad I bought all that stuff on credit a while ago, I wouldn't be able to afford it now

I bought a lightly used car for cash before the corona price bump, kinda hoping housing drops, wouldn’t mind getting something mildly lovely and affordable to squat in and pretend aim middle class-ish

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm just glad my car is going to be fully paid off as my next payment it's gonna be nice

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Revins posted:

I'm just glad my car is going to be fully paid off as my next payment it's gonna be nice

my lease ends in January. my residual is ~$10k less than what they are going for on the used market lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Facebook telling me that Biden pulled the economy lever.

He will go to Saudi Arabia soon and gas prices will abate for a bit and we will all throw confetti in celebration

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

I.N.R.I posted:

Bring me the cold deer. I want to watch it expire, due to bitcoin.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My entire adult life has been nothing but stock market disasters and living in either "The worst economy ever" or "the best economy imaginable" but just for people who already have a ton of money. This is nothing, you might as well tell me it's raining outside.

naem
May 29, 2011

I bought like, $300 worth of canned food and dry pasta/rice/beans/spices/olive oil I don’t plan on eating immediately this weekend

did the same in 2020 before the march lockdown and used all of it in about three months

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

TheBuilder posted:

god helps those who help themselves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What dip are you guys keeping an eye out for that you plan to invest in? I don't know a whole heck of a lot about this stuff but Copenhagen long cut seems to be pretty popular around where I live, but at the same time Skoal is a lot cheaper here and has a wintergreen flavor which might help me ease into this whole dip thing.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Corporations crashing the economy to own the workers who wanted living wages.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
i took all my money out of the markets a month ago and now i just scalp short expiration SPY and TSLA contracts on my fun account (usually when im taking my morning poo poo)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

THE ECONOMY.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Die! Die for number! Number must only go up, never down!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh no, not the dow jones

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
paychecks are already poo poo, bring it on motherfuckers

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Do not compare being reduced to destitution by the economy to rape. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yaldabaoth posted:

Corporations crashing the economy to own the workers who wanted living wages.

I've been told by very reputable business people that the economy is crashing because nobody wants to work anymore.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Z8_Mzmqgk

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nice job economailures

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party posted:

I've been told by very reputable business people that the economy is crashing because nobody wants to work anymore.

It's all just smoke and mirrors to convince the populous to let the wealthy do whatever they want because they don't quite have all the unregulated freedom of the monarchies from the old days just yet.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a lot of doom and gloom about the stock market being down and inflation being up, but both of those things might be good (or at least aren't 100% bad) for working people.

first, the stock market is not a great indicator of the health of the economy. part of stock value is based on fundamentals that do represent economic health, but a lot is also based on speculation, sentiment, and other factors. there's no way the economy is in worse shape today than it was at the height of the pandemic, and yet the stock market then was reaching all time highs even when unemployment was spiking and businesses were having difficulty operating. a thriving stock market in times when companies aren't becoming fundamentally more valuable (like during a pandemic) is just an indicator that rich people are getting a lot of free money from the government and need some place to park it (same thing that happened in the 2010s with QE). what's happening now is a bit of unwinding and stock prices are falling. if you are investing into a 401k every paycheck, that is a good trend. a high stock market makes your portfolio look good now, but a low stock market is what will make it look good later when you (theoretically) retire.

second, the fed always targets an inflation rate of about 2% and the news always says it's bad when it goes higher. but a low rate of inflation like that is generally going to help rich people more than poor people. rich people usually have a positive net worth and a lot of assets that they don't want depreciating quickly. working people often have a negative net worth (if they have a mortgage or a lot of student debt) or at least don't have a huge amount of assets, so inflation either helps them by eroding debt, or at least isn't going to chip away their wealth much in absolute terms. however, working people living paycheck to paycheck will definitely be the ones to feel inflation first.

the question is whether wages will rise with inflation -- right now it seems that they are, especially at the bottom with a pretty big push for things like $15 min wage, plus very low unemployment gives workers more leverage over pay. so in the long run, if we have a few years of 5%-ish inflation and unemployment remains low (perhaps thanks to covid that killed / disabled a few percent of the workforce), it has the potential to be a positive for the relative wealth of the working class compared to the rich. retirees may suffer the most if they have a traditional bond-heavy retirement fund. and of course anyone too sick to work.

the major trouble spot for the US economy right now is that housing prices are too high. i don't know if there's a lot of default risk like there was in 2007/2008, but i don't really think mortgages are being handed out like candy anymore, so probably not. something will have to give, but i don't know that it will be a credit crisis this time around.

other stuff like food and fuel prices are more likely to be transient and aren't fundamentally undermining the wealth of an entire generation like the issue with home prices. the "supply chain" difficulties are also an issue, but i don't think that's as covid-related as people make it out to be anymore. i think covid exposed how there is zero resilience to disruption in the global economy, and businesses are reacting accordingly by attempting to hoard whatever they can get their hands on, which further stresses the supply chain and creates even more disruption. random shortages are just part of global capitalism now -- finally capitalism has caught up to communism.

overall, i think the dysfunctional political situation in the US is a way bigger risk to the economy than anything above, and that's just in the short term -- not even going to bother talking about the climate. we can't even figure out healthcare or do anything about mass shootings happening almost every day, meanwhile the next insurrection is brewing.

you can trust everything i wrote above because i have no background or education in economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
do we really need an economy anyways? seems more trouble than it's worth