Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
*gestures around at everything* piss
STONKS
DIAMOND HANDS BIVTCH
buy. the. DIP.
everything is incredibly and profoundly stupid and bad now
Goku stock broker jumping out of highrise window
View Results

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Looks like the economy has got a case of the mondays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Did you know that Dow Jones and James Earl Jones are brothers?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like Down Jones (IMHO)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm Shaking The Block With Four Eighteens'
Candy Green With Eleven Screens
My Gasoline Always Supreme
Got Do-Do The Brown With A Pint Of Lean
It Takes Grinding To Be A King
It Takes Grinding To Be A King
First Round Draft Picks Coming
Who Is Dow Jones Coming
Slab Shining With The Grill And Woman
Slab Shining With The Grill And Woman
I'm Dow Jones (Who) Dow Jones The One And Only You Can't Clone Me
Got A Lot A Haters And A Lot Of Homies Some Friends And Some Phony
Back Then Hoes Didn't Want Me Now I'm Hot Hoes All On Me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

NASDAQ more like NARDSACK

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

TheBuilder posted:

He will go to Saudi Arabia soon and gas prices will abate for a bit and we will all throw confetti in celebration

I will donate $25 to democrats if he casts the orb spell trump cast

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Neukoln19 posted:

Looks like the economy has got a case of the mondays!

It's not just Monday, it's Monday the 13th.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Doing anything is against the...... CONSTITUTION!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mozi posted:

do we really need an economy anyways? seems more trouble than it's worth
:this:
the economy is like a fainting goat except everything gets worse when it faints
but also things don't get better when it doesn't faint
that's basically the situation, I think

naem
May 29, 2011

shack in the woods/ herd of goats 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
How bout you buy this “dip” OP?

*grabs balls*

Haha, just kidding. Abolish the stock market.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
how could Joe Biden do this. somebody needs to stop him.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

joe shouldn't have raised the gas price, doesn't he know that it will hurt his own party??

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

NASDAQ more like NARDSACK

wow

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

joe shouldn't have raised the gas price, doesn't he know that it will hurt his own party??

he raised the gas prices in my country too! we need to do something about this

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Truth is though, despite that fact that we've been putting this off since like 2006, we're in for a real loving tough time soon. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Literally sold every stock I owned (which wasn't much) but enjoy the ride everybody i already bounced lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really, everything Joe Biden touches turns to poo poo. Even his wife.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
currently browsing r/wallstreetbets for sound financial advice during these troubled times

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the economy hosed someone... i can't recall who it was at this time but i know the economy definitely hosed someone that posts here.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Tarkus posted:

Truth is though, despite that fact that we've been putting this off since like 2006, we're in for a real loving tough time soon. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Hopefully having zero debt and totally liquid will help.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Bad Purchase posted:

there's a lot of doom and gloom about the stock market being down and inflation being up, but both of those things might be good (or at least aren't 100% bad) for working people.

first, the stock market is not a great indicator of the health of the economy. part of stock value is based on fundamentals that do represent economic health, but a lot is also based on speculation, sentiment, and other factors. there's no way the economy is in worse shape today than it was at the height of the pandemic, and yet the stock market then was reaching all time highs even when unemployment was spiking and businesses were having difficulty operating. a thriving stock market in times when companies aren't becoming fundamentally more valuable (like during a pandemic) is just an indicator that rich people are getting a lot of free money from the government and need some place to park it (same thing that happened in the 2010s with QE). what's happening now is a bit of unwinding and stock prices are falling. if you are investing into a 401k every paycheck, that is a good trend. a high stock market makes your portfolio look good now, but a low stock market is what will make it look good later when you (theoretically) retire.

second, the fed always targets an inflation rate of about 2% and the news always says it's bad when it goes higher. but a low rate of inflation like that is generally going to help rich people more than poor people. rich people usually have a positive net worth and a lot of assets that they don't want depreciating quickly. working people often have a negative net worth (if they have a mortgage or a lot of student debt) or at least don't have a huge amount of assets, so inflation either helps them by eroding debt, or at least isn't going to chip away their wealth much in absolute terms. however, working people living paycheck to paycheck will definitely be the ones to feel inflation first.

the question is whether wages will rise with inflation -- right now it seems that they are, especially at the bottom with a pretty big push for things like $15 min wage, plus very low unemployment gives workers more leverage over pay. so in the long run, if we have a few years of 5%-ish inflation and unemployment remains low (perhaps thanks to covid that killed / disabled a few percent of the workforce), it has the potential to be a positive for the relative wealth of the working class compared to the rich. retirees may suffer the most if they have a traditional bond-heavy retirement fund. and of course anyone too sick to work.

the major trouble spot for the US economy right now is that housing prices are too high. i don't know if there's a lot of default risk like there was in 2007/2008, but i don't really think mortgages are being handed out like candy anymore, so probably not. something will have to give, but i don't know that it will be a credit crisis this time around.

other stuff like food and fuel prices are more likely to be transient and aren't fundamentally undermining the wealth of an entire generation like the issue with home prices. the "supply chain" difficulties are also an issue, but i don't think that's as covid-related as people make it out to be anymore. i think covid exposed how there is zero resilience to disruption in the global economy, and businesses are reacting accordingly by attempting to hoard whatever they can get their hands on, which further stresses the supply chain and creates even more disruption. random shortages are just part of global capitalism now -- finally capitalism has caught up to communism.

overall, i think the dysfunctional political situation in the US is a way bigger risk to the economy than anything above, and that's just in the short term -- not even going to bother talking about the climate. we can't even figure out healthcare or do anything about mass shootings happening almost every day, meanwhile the next insurrection is brewing.

you can trust everything i wrote above because i have no background or education in economics.

Stonks.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tarkus posted:

Well, we've had a quiet few years so we're about due for something interesting.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tarkus posted:

Have you been in a coma since 2006?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

A Fancy Hat posted:

Have you been in a coma since 2006?

We've had downturns and 2008 sucked but inertia kept most everything going, including the hosed up monetary system. I have a feeling that the wheels are going to fall off the train politically, financially, environmentally and socially real soon here.

naem
May 29, 2011

Tarkus posted:

We've had downturns and 2008 sucked but inertia kept most everything going, including the hosed up monetary system. I have a feeling that the wheels are going to fall off the train politically, financially, environmentally and socially real soon here.

:agreed:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So much of this poo poo could be massively relieved if the people who already have everything just took slightly less.

We’re doomed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

bear markets / crashes happen once or twice per decade, they just aren't always as big or enduring as the 2007/2008 crash that everyone remembers the most.

there was a short one in 2011 when a bunch of EU countries were on the verge of default and republicans in the US tried to cause a default and the government had to partially shutdown. there was another short one in 2020 when the market realized covid was real, which recovered almost instantly when the government started stimulus and bailouts.

it's easy to see that we've had an asset bubble in the stock market for a long time, and more recently housing as well, but nobody knows when it's going to burst nor how bad it will be when it does. the most likely case is that it that the current downturn will be closer to an average bear market and not an outlier like the great depression or great recession.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hopefully having zero debt and totally liquid will help.

counterpoint: no debt collectors after civilization collapses. Might as well max out those credit cards now!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only way to end up no worse than you were after an economic collapse is to already be maxed out in debt and have no assets worth seizing

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I mean both Isaac Newton and MIT predicted society would collapse around 2040 and I'm thinking they may just be right

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

"the world is doomed and/or will end soon due to some societal issues" says every cynical human since the beginning of recorded history.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean both Isaac Newton and MIT predicted society would collapse around 2040 and I'm thinking they may just be right

100% of virgins agree the end is nigh

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I drove down to the local investment firm and yelled “NASDAQ on DEEZ NUTZ” at the administrative assistant at the front door and she ignored me.

My face and head are still bleeding from the security guards beating my flabby body senseless but it’s cool to know I “triggered” them.

naem
May 29, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

"the world is doomed and/or will end soon due to some societal issues" says every cynical human since the beginning of recorded history.

western society has collapsed multiple times already and the aftermath both times were very unpleasant

the time period after the last collapse can seen in the 1982 documentary Conan the Barbarian®™️©

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DickParasite posted:

ok this got a lmao from me :golfclap:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Global chains are rattling, America will be fine unless we tear ourselves apart from the inside.........poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DickParasite posted:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

isaac was volcel, MIT grads are incel. big, big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

naem posted:

western society has collapsed multiple times already and the aftermath both times were very unpleasant

the time period after the last collapse can seen in the 1982 documentary Conan the Barbarian®™️©

Yeah societies might collapse but the world will continue, as you can see in your own reference to the post-collapse documentary Conan the Barbarian®.

And it means you finally have a good reason to get sick abs and wear loinclothes in public, all positives imo.