Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
*gestures around at everything* piss
STONKS
DIAMOND HANDS BIVTCH
buy. the. DIP.
everything is incredibly and profoundly stupid and bad now
Goku stock broker jumping out of highrise window
View Results

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hopefully having zero debt and totally liquid will help.

Not that that I'm doing it or anything... but it seems some interest rates are actually lower than our current inflation rates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The economy doesn't suck, stocks are just on sale!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Imma clap my cheeks on the housing bubble

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
still waiting on what jimmyjams thinks about all of this market volatility

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Borscht posted:

The economy doesn't suck, stocks are just on sale!
this is one of the reasons the stock market will never make sense to me

if you're supposed to buy low and sell high, why is low stocks bad? it sounds like you just buy them now
but that increases their value, so they would stop being low
like why isn't every stock the same price at all times

whenever the market is bad they're like "the market is going to be bad! stop buying!" and then everybody stops buying so the market becomes bad and I'm like well what the gently caress why did you say that? the prices only went down because everybody decided to stop buying because prices were going to go down

nobody explain this to me

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Considering zeroing out my 401k and investing in Gucci flip-flops. Those appreciate in value right?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown posted:

still waiting on what jimmyjams thinks about all of this market volatility

i'm brewing up a similar thought rn

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Cubone posted:

if you're supposed to buy low and sell high, why is low stocks bad? it sounds like you just buy them now

whenever the market is bad they're like "the market is going to be bad! stop buying!" and then everybody stops buying so the market becomes bad and I'm like well what the gently caress why did you say that? the prices only went down because everybody decided to stop buying because prices were going to go down

Rich people didn’t stop buying

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

actually any day now the gamestop stocks i bought are going to be worth $60,000 each for reasons

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm brewing up a similar thought rn

:hai:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Always be buying

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You're thinking of this place all wrong! As if Jeffrey had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in GBS...right next to PYF. And in BYOB, and D&D, and a hundred other threads. Why, you're lending them the money to post, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?...Now wait...now listen...now listen to me. I beg of you not to do this thing. If Lowtax's mom gets hold of Something Awful there'll never be another decent post made on this whole dead gay forum.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe we can try mortgaging our children's future to get out of this mess?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Kane from wrestling explains everything that is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xphl-CyvU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bottom fell out of the Pokemon card market, and we're all going to take a bath.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Extra Large Marge posted:

Bottom fell out of the Pokemon card market, and we're all going to take a bath.

My nephew is gonna be fuckin' stoked to get those cheap cards, though. :hai:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cubone posted:

Stocks aren’t real (just like money) and nothing but a game for rich people to make more money without actually doing anything.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
investing vs gambling is basically the same thing as cocaine vs crack cocaine

both are very risky, one will make you suck dicks faster

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

investing vs gambling is basically the same thing as cocaine vs crack cocaine

That's pretty apt, but generally if the market dives and you don't move your 401k (I assume this is what the person meant when they said rich? Able to put money from a paycheck into retirement?) It will recover if you have a few years.

If you have time to let it recover and get lucky when you withdraw you hopefully wont get completely hosed like my parents. They retired in 2007-9 and it was rough.

Still a dice toss unless you make even more money and also have a robust savings account to live off for 3 or 4 years to let the market recover and pump back up then stocks.

Capitalism loving sucks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have a static IRA and a current employer 401k and i really dont even think about them in terms of my finances.

they are just *there*

also its a 50/50 chance ill ever actually touch any of that money due to the world ending either because of my self induced untimely demise or some other bullshit :hai:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chinatown posted:

i have a static IRA and a current employer 401k and i really dont even think about them in terms of my finances.

they are just *there*

also its a 50/50 chance ill ever actually touch any of that money due to the world ending either because of my self induced untimely demise or some other bullshit :hai:

Hello, me

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Buy! Hodl! Win!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

they are just *there*

yup.

i just took one extra step and made sure my 401k account was not investing into crypto. If you have a Vanguard 401k, they have no intention to go into crypto right now.

quote:

Vanguard's take
Since cryptocurrencies are highly speculative in their current state, Vanguard believes their long-term investment case is weak. As many of our investors know, our investing philosophy encourages staying the course and tuning out the noise. Our time-tested principles emphasize that investing for the long-term is essential and reacting to short-term trends can be costly for one’s portfolio. While we don’t currently offer cryptocurrencies as an investment option, we acknowledge the impact they’re making in the investing world. As cryptocurrencies and blockchain become increasingly mainstream, we’ll continue to monitor their development and discern the best path forward for our investors.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wendigee posted:

That's pretty apt, but generally if the market dives and you don't move your 401k (I assume this is what the person meant when they said rich? Able to put money from a paycheck into retirement?) It will recover if you have a few years.

If you have time to let it recover and get lucky when you withdraw you hopefully wont get completely hosed like my parents. They retired in 2007-9 and it was rough.

Still a dice toss unless you make even more money and also have a robust savings account to live off for 3 or 4 years to let the market recover and pump back up then stocks.

Capitalism loving sucks.

By rich I meant “the wealthy” as in the assholes who run everything. The stock market was never meant as anything but a playground for those folks. 401(k) replaced pensions because they put the onus on you, the worker, to invest YOUR money rather than the capitalist. Even with company match, the company involvement in 401(k) is still far less than a true pension because not everyone can afford to contribute the full match, if they contribute at all. That frees up a lot of cash, and certainly the company is not going to reinvest that freed up cash in you when they can instead dole it out to C-Levels and shareholders. Meanwhile, the capitalist can now gamble with the money in your 401(k) for however long until it is vested, and well, if it’s lost, that’s on you.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Animal-Mother posted:

Kane from wrestling explains everything that is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xphl-CyvU

Thank god noted Doctor Isaac Yankem, DDS, explains the economy to me.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Wendigee posted:

yup.

i just took one extra step and made sure my 401k account was not investing into crypto. If you have a Vanguard 401k, they have no intention to go into crypto right now.

Oh poo poo, they'd do that!?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

pro starcraft loser posted:

Oh poo poo, they'd do that!?

Lol

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

By rich I meant “the wealthy” as in the assholes who run everything. The stock market was never meant as anything but a playground for those folks. 401(k) replaced pensions because they put the onus on you, the worker, to invest YOUR money rather than the capitalist. Even with company match, the company involvement in 401(k) is still far less than a true pension because not everyone can afford to contribute the full match, if they contribute at all. That frees up a lot of cash, and certainly the company is not going to reinvest that freed up cash in you when they can instead dole it out to C-Levels and shareholders. Meanwhile, the capitalist can now gamble with the money in your 401(k) for however long until it is vested, and well, if it’s lost, that’s on you.

Also - if the company gambles with the pension fund and loses, they get sued. If an individual gambles with their 401k and loses, nothing happens!*

*to the parasitic corporate overlords, anyway.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I have half in basic savings type and half in 'medium' risk.

Crypto better not be marked as 'medium' risk.

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Also - if the company gambles with the pension fund and loses, they get sued. If an individual gambles with their 401k and loses, nothing happens!*

*to the parasitic corporate overlords, anyway.

eventually society as we know it collapses but that will just make the rich comparatively richer

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
More like COW Jones, am I right?

Because. Because, uh, it sure ain't a bull market right now!!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

goku

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I still have a csgo skin inexplicably worth $1500 so i think I will manage to ride out this storm op

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If you know any young worried people be sure to tell them not to worry and this is one of those "once in a lifetime" economy things

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I still have a csgo skin inexplicably worth $1500 so i think I will manage to ride out this storm op

wait

how

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol again

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

If you know any young worried people be sure to tell them not to worry and this is one of those "once in a lifetime" economy things

I will offer them cautious, reigned in optimism because I don't want people in their prime raiding years angry at me if things don't go well after all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Once in a lifetime opportunity to destroy rich people and the economy forever.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

"Don't worry little guy, this is a very rare event. Why yes, I'm 36 and this is round 3, why do you ask?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I will offer them cautious, reigned in optimism because I don't want people in their prime raiding years angry at me if things don't go well after all.

I have been practicing tiktok dances for this very reason