Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Tomorrow, an old friend will die. This was a pal to many of us, someone who would be there when you needed them, someone who would help you through the good times and bad. When you needed to look up the Battle of Waterloo, it was there. When you needed to spank it to whatever disgusting freak fetish you like but God abhors, it didn't judge. When you wanted to download some applications that would inevitably nuke your computer but you didn't have Limewire, it did so with a smile on its face. It did its job and helped you in more ways than you'll ever know.

Sure, it was a bit slow, and got paced by newer, sleeker models, and it was a security nightmare, but it was always there, just in the background. In later years, it would wonder why you never came around anymore. Maybe you didn't remember. Maybe you didn't like it, but it still would have been there for you.

And tomorrow, we say goodbye. It's the end of the road to something we relied on in our formative years.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-internet-explorer-on-windows-10-is-in-microsoft-edge/

Use this thread to say goodbye to Internet Explorer. Thank you for all the memories :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Now it can join adobe flash

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I use Firefox, not that Chrome poo poo for normies

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I will mostly remember the group policies

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Lmao

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What browser you are using isn't about world piece.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

lmao

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Just loling at all the old people who will have to switch to a new web browser.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ie can get hosed and i am going to piss & poo poo on it's grave daily

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7iVWK2W48o

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i used it in the 90s and have no specific nostalgia for it. don’t know why anyone cares about this, and it’s very important for me to let you know.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
explore in h*ck, bitch

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
IE was so bad that I refuse to use Edge to this day just out of spite.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Now it can join adobe flash

Yeah but flash actually had a purpose

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Blooster posted:

I sometimes click edge accidentally on my personal computer and go "wait poo poo" and immediately close it and go to chrome

My work has been begging people for months to switch to Edge, and it's gonna be real funny when it's deleted off computers and people are confused. We also have specific applications that are IE only which is going to be just stellar to work through

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Blooster posted:

Same. Mentally I cannot separate the two.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I sometimes click edge accidentally on my personal computer and go "wait poo poo" and immediately close it and go to chrome

My work has been begging people for months to switch to Edge, and it's gonna be real funny when it's deleted off computers and people are confused. We also have specific applications that are IE only which is going to be just stellar to work through

I have to use edge for inventory blackflush and stuff at work, the MS skin is annoying but it's a pretty fast generic browser otherwise. Completely the opposite of our overweight departed pariah of a garbage browser.

I still use chrome out of habit at home.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

I’m glad it’s dead.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My work uses Dynamics 365 as our CRM, which is a Microsoft product and yet we use Chrome as a browser because Dynamics doesn’t work well with Edge lmao.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to install a ton of add-ons. I can’t remember what they called them. Bars that go under the search bar. They were pretty cool.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite part of IE was that Windows was so poorly designed in so many parts that the OS assumed IE was there, and so many calls would rely on it. So many nerds who forcefully removed IE experienced a lot of issues because random, unrelated apps and services would try to make a call that relied on IE, only to get nothing and crash.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I used to install a ton of add-ons. I can’t remember what they called them. Bars that go under the search bar. They were pretty cool.

hell yeah! :2bong:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vegetable posted:

syntaxfunction posted:

My favourite part of IE was that Windows was so poorly designed in so many parts that the OS assumed IE was there, and so many calls would rely on it. So many nerds who forcefully removed IE experienced a lot of issues because random, unrelated apps and services would try to make a call that relied on IE, only to get nothing and crash.

My friend, that is called ACTIVE DESKTOP TECHNOLOGY and it is the way of the future, care of this unwieldy gigantic browser plugin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bad rear end Mafia Toolbar for IE is developed by Bad rear end Mafia. The most popular version of this product among our users is 6.2. The product will soon be reviewed by our informers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
perhaps the real explorer were the bonzi buddies we made along the

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you want to relive the internet explorer days the way you remember it instead of the way it actually was, just play Hypnospace Outlaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pRvLDsxIs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

My friend, that is called ACTIVE DESKTOP TECHNOLOGY and it is the way of the future, care of this unwieldy gigantic browser plugin

There was active desktop for sure, but then there was random applications and services for like, I dunno, temperature monitoring or something, that relied on IE for telemetry and poo poo.

It was such a clusterfuck and it was great. Disable IE and suddenly you can't see file sizes or random other bugs. I can't remember specifics but it was fun times.

For all the current clusterfuck that is Windows they've definitely learned to decouple a lot of stuff.

Except search being tied to EDGE AND NOTHING ELSE. Apparently that is forbidden technology.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
o7

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Except search being tied to EDGE AND NOTHING ELSE. Apparently that is forbidden technology.

ACTIVE DESKTOP technology

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I was much more upset when MSN messenger died and I had nowhere to put my status message as some deep lyrics that were hinting to a girl that I fancied her

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I was much more upset when MSN messenger died and I had nowhere to put my status message as some deep lyrics that were hinting to a girl that I fancied her

yahoo messenger was really cool cuz it had a scratchpad and stuff, did a lot of hand-drawing detailed stuff with a mouse in that one

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Jizzlobb------------[cannot display]

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MrQwerty posted:

yahoo messenger was really cool cuz it had a scratchpad and stuff, did a lot of hand-drawing detailed stuff with a mouse in that one

MSN had that at one point too, at one point it would also show what song you were listening to live, so you could use that to try and hint at said fanciable girl as well.

I didn't use yahoo messenger much except for chatrooms. MSN Messenger was always the main one in the UK when I was younger. "get yous on MSN" you'd say to your pals as you left the skatepark to head home for dinner. The good old days.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
explorer? i barely knew'er!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKMtZm2YuBE

olives black