Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Looking forward to getting voted out day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Hello my dear friends! It feels so wonderful to be here with you on my first Mafia game.

Speaking of, isn't it mighty suspicious that someone 'with experience' appeared right after a beloved member of our community was kidnapped? I call foul play.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Green Wing posted:

alright joining this game finally got me to buy an avatar, truly I am a pawn in Jeffrey's machinations.

Yes please, everyone should buy avatars so I can be the only Stupid Newbie.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Hi friends, I just finished looking up the GameFAQs guide for Mafia so I feel confident that I know who all the scums are already.

Is it you?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The Ball was a cousin of mine. I'm more about bouncing around, though. I've never been one for a paddlin'.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
If I have learned anything from reading through SA Mafia threads, it's that day one is for shitposting and turbos.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
That said, since Green Wing brought up no execution, I would rather vote PlasticAutomaton. As the only one here with previous game experience, he would be a great asset for the mafia team. And if he's town, we would still have superior numbers.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Rude, but I like the way you think.

Sorry! I know it's particularly rude because you came to help fill in a game that had a bit of trouble starting. I really hope you're town, but I felt it was better to bring that up early.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Green Wing makes good points. I could subscribe to her newsletter.

I also relate to Jadecore. My brief stint in IRL Werewolf was cut short because I felt like a dick eliminating people on incomplete information as a villager or lying to them as a werewolf.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

My Second Re-Reg posted:

So is anybody else in this thread ACTUALLY a newcomer to this whole thing? Or is it just me over here by myself with no clue what's going on while a bunch of Mafia Veterans stand around and act like it's just another day at the Guessing Game Inc office?

Because at this point, in line with my stated chaos vote, I'm going to start targeting people who keep going on about making this a "newbie experience" while obviously not being newbies themselves. Hearing everyone talk about who's a veteran and who isn't just shows that you're all vets and can't be trusted.

I've only played IRL Werewolf and Avalon like thrice. I've been reading through some threads in the Game Room (https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103), though, where I found out that NeverHelm has actually played before!!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh, just once according to Votefinder, so nevermind.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Also LupusAter, so w/e.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I wish I could delete my posts now.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Now that would be a fun setup. A game where everyone is town and the hidden winning condition is to vote on no-execution three consecutive times.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh, just in case, I was musing about a possible game setup for another time. I highly doubt we're on a Vault-11 situation here.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm way more suspicious of wologar and My Second Re-Reg now both going for the "vote out the secret veterans" angle. wologar is the first one to bring up NeverHelm and then Re-Reg follows up and announces their intent to vote NeverHelm out. I'm also suspicious as to why both of them homed in on alleged crypto-veteran NeverHelm instead of confirmed veteran Plastic Automaton. The heat also seemed to turn on NeverHelm the second they said they might vote Plastic. This whole schtick is giving me some vibes.

Nope. You can verify that MSRR posted their intention to vote NeverHelm first and I went through Votefinder info afterwards. I know we both have non-avatars, but come on.

About MSRR, I don't think they're necessarily scum, but their attitude has certainly been anti-town. Actually, an extra benefit of voting them would be one less person with the Stupid Newbie av!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I know I agreed that Re-Reg's posting was anti-town (although they got better), but I think the pile-up on votes is bandwagony. There's bound to be scum in the last few votes, either jumping at the chance to execute town or just leaving a teammate to the wolves.

I'll vote if necessary near deadline, but we still have some hours left.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I disagree with this. I'd argue this is pretty much how the votes will drop every time- We held most of the structure of a simple trial. We started with accusations, each side made arguments, and each side made closing statements, dropping votes alongside their conclusions.

True enough, although the last few votes felt more like a jury nodding and going "ah yes, guilty enough, yes" rather than personal conclusions. I don't think it's damning at this point either way.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I imagine there won't be any crazy roles as this is babby's first forums mafia. Expect a lot of ice-cream.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Bucnasti posted:

How long does night usually last?

And what types of roles are there? I'm only familiar with the ones from the One Night Warewolf game.

There's this wiki: https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Main_Page

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Sorry, should have quoted this part:

"Some of the more common Roles that you'll find in games are: Cop, Doctor, Mafia Goon, Mafia Godfather, Serial Killer. You may also find: Masons, Miller, Survivor, Vigilante, and even: Bulletproof, Bodyguard, Bus Driver, Cultist, Inventor, Jailkeeper, Lovers, Lyncher, Roleblocker, Watcher... This is very far from comprehensive, there are hundreds of possible roles out there!"

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh boy.

Funny thing is, before these news I was thinking who I'd execute If I was scum and I landed on AFancyQuestionMark or Bucnasti because they were the only ones that didn't confront anyone directly and didn't arise explicit suspicion on themselves. Better to leave town to self-destruct, I guess.

On the bright side, no one is actually dead by flavour. I bet that at the end of this ordeal, the Paddle will appear with everyone who banished and yell surprise and we'll all laugh and have a great time!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Eh, it's "vanished" in this case. Should triple-check before hitting Submit since I can't depend on my trusty Edit button here.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

cuntman.net posted:

ive also been thinking about who the other mason(s) might be. it makes sense that it would be one of the people who were reluctant to vote for msrr, so maybe bucnasti, cloacamazing, or wologar. im thinking wologar since there was a post where it seemed like they were discouraging people from voting, which doesnt make sense if theyre town or scum, but makes a lot more sense if theyre a mason

Do note that MSRR was a "TOWN-aligned Mason", so still town.

On the Green Wing / Bucnasti thing, so much for the latter being non-confrontational! I don't know yet. I agree with cuntman that Green Wing may yet reveal herself as scum, but Bucnasti came in guns blazing and that's (probably) not a scum tell.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Green Wing posted:

This is a scum slip.

Masons know that each other aren't scum. That's what that role is. There is no way what is said here can be true - there is no "if it turned out he wasn't scum".

Like, I thought you were just wrong about me - but this is an outright, "got 'em", scum slip. There's no way you're the other mason, because the masons knew they both were town. ##vote Bucnasti.

The wiki says otherwise: https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Masons

Masons are players, typically townies, that may speak to each other out of thread. While Masons are usually confirmed townies, several games on SA have scum Masons within a Mason group; if there is a probability of a scum mason, it is expected that mods will include a line similar to "You are not sure of Player's alignment" in the role PM.

I thought of first asking Bucnasti if their role especified MSRR's alignment as a possible gotcha, but I had linked the wiki myself, so I think that's moot.

So Bucnasti, did you know MSRR's alignment for sure?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh, Bucnasti already answered at the end of the page.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Bucnasti posted:

We were both told that we did not know each others alignment, and if I'm not the other Mason, somebody else can come forward and dispute it.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Jadecore posted:

1) As a Umineko fan it sucks that Beatrice left town. I hope she's getting a nice mansion wherever she's run off to.

BEATORIIIIICEEE

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finally, Bucnasti. Nobody else seems to be willing to claim mason (and it certainly ain't me), so I'm willing to buy that's what they are. There doesn't seem to be a third mason, so to me it then becomes a meta-question of whether I think Shellception would set up a newbie game with a masonry where 1/2 was scum. It's kind of hosed up that I'm now apparently using a vibe from a moderator to make in-game decisions but that's where I'm at. For now I'm willing to accept Bucnasti is likely town, unless someone pipes up and claims.

This is the same reason why I didn't push for PlasticAutomaton. Would mods give a missing scum role to a veteran in an otherwise newbie game? I want to say no, but his role has to be important. Otherwise, the game could have started with one less person, right? I know I may be completely wrong about this but I haven't discarded it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I wonder why scum chose to kill Question Mark though. He wasn't contributing much either, so why kill him? There seems to be more obvious targets. Could be that they want us to target one of the people advocating most closely for Re-Reg, or maybe they're trying to skirt around protective roles which might have had the same thought and were guarding Green Wing or whoever last night.

As stated before, it was probably to promote town infighting. I bet scum were licking their lips at Bucnasti's escapade, assuming he's not in their team.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Maybe he got confused and though of the scum channel as a masonry. :hehe:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think this is correct, and it also means Plastic can absolutely be scum. I mean, I think he could be anyway because my impression is that roles were RNG as described above, but also because roles were handed out before he joined so the moderators' hands were forced on the matter.

This is what I meant! The no-show must have had an important role because if they were vanilla town I assume the game could have started without them.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
As an aside, I find it hilarious that there's an apparent feeling of "what good are masons for, anyway". SA Games against union workers.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Another reason I think Bucnasti is town: Consider the situation in which Re-Reg is town but Bucnasti is scum and the two are in a masonry together. Bucnasti would immediately tell the other scum this. This would put them in a perfect position to use the masonry as a way to influence Re-Reg's vote for the duration of the game, or sap him for information. But instead (assuming at least some of the D1 votes were scum) they decided to lunch him, immediately denying themselves a game advantage. We can argue about exactly how advantageous it is to have secret scum in a masonry, but I can't imagine a position where it would be a net negative for the scum. So this entire scenario doesn't check out, it makes no sense for scum to dogpile someone they want to keep in the game over any other random townie.

Then let's look at another possibility: Scum didn't pile up against MSRR because they didn't want to lose access to the masonry, so they backed off when their banishment was turning into a reality. That leaves cuntman.net, Hyper Crab Tank, Jadecore and wologar as the scum team, with Jadecore being the one backpedaling (she voted and unvoted). We got them all!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
After checking some previous games, PlasticAutomaton disappearing from the thread seems par for the course. I would still vote him just for the replacement/role stuff.

Jadecore is a bit suspicious, yes, but I want to trust her for now because I like her posts.

Green Wing gives me mostly town vibes, but she pinged me a little when she outright dismissed that the replacement role could be important.

I really want to support Bucnasti's mission to avenge his mason buddy because it sounds exciting, but only if enough evidence piles up.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
NeverHelm seems very helpful and engaged, so probably town.

CaffeinatedJerkoff and LupusAter are a giant '?' for me. They could be anything.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

wologar posted:

NeverHelm seems very helpful and engaged, so probably town.

So this sounded very naive (and probably is) but I haven't seen anything from NeverHelm that could be seen as scummy yet. Same for Hyper Crab Tank. I don't have any hard town reads, though.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
All good points, but we don't have much else to go on. I'm leaning town on both Bucnasti and Green Wing and I don't think there's been any substantial suspicion on anyone else, besides Plastic. I'll ##vote PlasticAutomaton, at least for now.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Yep, it's not a convincing case, but it's the best option I see at the moment. It would be nice to hear more from cuntman, Caffeinated Jerkoff and Cloacamazing.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Green Wing posted:

wologar

- Possibly seems to switch from "PA disappearing seems to be par for the course" (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004626&userid=208378#post524579572) to "actually I will vote PA" (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004626&userid=208378#post524594129) in the space of 18 hours. I admit, this seems closer together because I'm reading all these posts at once. I can't say that this is a scum read because, again, I also am suspicious of PA (see above), but it gives me enough pause to put wologar in the null read pile.

Eh, I never said I wouldn't vote him. In fact, in the same post you quoted (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004626&userid=208378#post524579572) I said I would still vote him for the replacement/role stuff. It's just that him disappearing has little weight in my decision to do so.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I don't think veterancy played a role, either. What I think happened is the following:

1. Game filled up.
2. Mods distributed roles randomly.
3. Someone ghosted discord.
4. Mods found out that the person that ghosted had an important role (scum? doctor?).
5. Game couldn't start without this role. Every other role had already been distributed and discord channels created. Solution? Wait for a replacement to appear.
6. PlasticAutomaton came to the rescue.

So, to be clear, I've got nothing against Plastic as a person. I would have been suspicious about anyone else in his situation. My extra wariness came from the fact that Plastic is a veteran and, if scum, could imbalance the game against town with his experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Lists seem to be the Cool Thing right now, so let's give it a shot:

PlasticAutomaton: Probably scum. I've said why several times since day one.

LupusAter: Leaning scum. Appears to defend Plastic and not much else.

Caffeinated Jerkoff: Leaning scum. Last big post was the first one where I saw a real attempt at scumhunting.

Cloacamazing: Leaning scum just for lack of content.

cuntman.net: Leaning scum. Participates but what he says doesn't help move the game much.

Jadecore: Null. Actually leaning both sides, but that balances it out :v:

Bucnasti: Leaning town. I'm not sure if I completely buy his game-related questions, but adding that to his general demeanor makes it consistent with confused town.

Green Wing: Probably town. Scum-hunts a lot and her masonry mistake is unlikely for scum.

NeverHelm: Probably town. Has been silent for a long time but weekend happens. Their previous content was very useful for town.

Hyper Crab Tank: Probably town. Their way of thinking resembles mine in many points.

Ordered from scummiest to towniest.