Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

“Aesthetic” becoming a stand-alone adjective which refers to something possessing qualities of an (unspecified) aesthetic.

Example: “that poster is so aesthetic”

People saying aesthetic with a hard T sound for the th. “rear end-tet-ick”

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Beef City posted:

When people say "Yeah, no, go ahead" <and use my stapler> or whatever, in that context the "Yeah" comes pre-loaded with "Oh" as an exclamation.

As in, you've caught them unaware and they are saying "Oh yeah! No, it's alright. Use the stapler." How is this hard to parse?
When people say "Yeah no that's not going to work." Its a term of sarcasm meaning "Yes. I've listened to your idea. No. It's stupid." Again, this isn't hard to understand.

I'm not having difficulty parsing or understanding it.

Edit: vvv fair enough, my mistake. vvv

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 17, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not having difficulty parsing or understanding it.

I'm sorry, it appeared that others were and I was expanding upon what you yourself were saying.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Slight head tilt to the side when actually listening to what someone is saying and thinking about it.

Or just considering a decision or concept by yourself if you have two sided internal monologue.

Dogs do it to.

Theory is that it's just from looking at things at slightly different angles gives us a better understanding of their like spatial dimensions of it and poo poo, and that kind of carries over into "you've got my attention and I'm analyzing right now" for whatever reason. Brains are weird.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hatsune Mike posted:

“Aesthetic” becoming a stand-alone adjective which refers to something possession qualities of an (unspecified) aesthetic.

Example: “that poster is so aesthetic”

People saying aesthetic with a hard T sound for the th. “rear end-tet-ick”

grrrrrrr

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
i do thing a way

u do it a different way

that pisses me off

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
People on the internet overuse "said" (as opposed to a simple article) and "proceeded to" in a very specific but indefinable way that drives me crazy. It ALWAYS conveys some kind of condescension, especially the "proceeded to." As in,

"I told this Karen the sandwich cost $5.00. She proceeded to throw said sandwich on the floor while shrieking like a banshee."

Please tell me I'm not alone in noticing this.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B55gpo3OgQk

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I do my absolute hardest to pretend other people don’t exist.

People who pretend other people don't exist,

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

hate hoot posted:

People on the internet overuse "said" (as opposed to a simple article) and "proceeded to" in a very specific but indefinable way that drives me crazy. It ALWAYS conveys some kind of condescension, especially the "proceeded to." As in,

"I told this Karen the sandwich cost $5.00. She proceeded to throw said sandwich on the floor while shrieking like a banshee."

Please tell me I'm not alone in noticing this.

yeah it's pretty common.
if people are being serious, it's police talk, trying to get legitimacy in a conversation by using authority words, makes them sounds kind of stupid. the other way people use it is as a joke like in your sentence, because what they're saying is ridiculous/mundane, but it's a tired joke.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The only thing anyone ever "forks over" is cash.

I also wish people would never refer to a million dollars as "a cool million". Why is that necessary? Who made that decision?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only thing anyone ever "forks over" is cash.

I also wish people would never refer to a million dollars as "a cool million". Why is that necessary? Who made that decision?

What? A million dollars is just cool as hell. Its why we have a special word called "millionaire"

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

bossy lady posted:

Drunk white people will take any opportunity to prove they can do a cartwheel.
(oh hey, there's buttons up there now)

I don't remember which episode of Norm's Live Show, I think with Spade. But he talked about Chris Farley in Denver, or similar with the altitude, and Farley just did cartwheels down the road.
is what your post reminded me of.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

Slight head tilt to the side when actually listening to what someone is saying and thinking about it.

Or just considering a decision or concept by yourself if you have two sided internal monologue.

Dogs do it to.

Theory is that it's just from looking at things at slightly different angles gives us a better understanding of their like spatial dimensions of it and poo poo, and that kind of carries over into "you've got my attention and I'm analyzing right now" for whatever reason. Brains are weird.

gently caress. I do this, and it's even more exaggerated, where I almost place my head on shoulder like some sort of loving rag doll, and listen. sometimes even shut my eyes, and just listen.

dang

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

they're just mannerisms. not all of them are bad just because they're common enough to notice.

the head tilt thing is just body language. plus if dogs do it then it can't be fake.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

ELTON JOHN posted:

i always pay attention to when people clench their jaws. i figured out how to do it when people are weaking masks. some people do it when theyre concentrating, other people do it when theyre upset. some people do it in both cases

My molars are FLAT. ABC, always be clenching(especially in my sleep)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

The Butcher posted:

Dogs do it to.

I do this too, I feel like I'm conveying above average interest in the subject matter though when I do it. Like, tell me more, thats interesting

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
a lot of people tell me to shut the gently caress up. getting pretty trite at this point tbh

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Bula Vinaka posted:

Something destructive happens to people and/or property.

*puts both hands on top of head*

I've learned from the OSHA thread that this is a universal language, translated as:

*Hands on hips* = Ah, gently caress.
*Hands on head* = Oh, gently caress.

Goingham
Jun 18, 2022

Junk posted:

a lot of people tell me to shut the gently caress up. getting pretty trite at this point tbh

people on the ham radio are often polite and pleasant to talk with

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A lot of mannerisms are learned. I stare off in the distance and bare my teeth like my Mum does when I'm thinking. I have several laughs that I can identify as other people's laughs that I decided to permanently mimic. People are their parents and friends and teachers and partners.

You people that bitch about pronunciation probably chew with your mouths open.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

While it is my fault, I will still call you a son of a bitch for linking a year old thread my goblin brain would feel the need to post in.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

Something destructive happens to people and/or property.

*puts both hands on top of head*

Lol

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if anyone finds it annoying when people go "hmmm" or make another sound when they're thinking. I don't. What I do find annoying is one guy I know who doesn't make any sound when he's thinking. And he's also hard of hearing, which makes it even worse because it can be genuinely difficult to tell if he didn't hear something you said or is just thinking about it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dog King posted:

THEY MENTION THE AMERICANS SHAKING THEIR HEADS WHEN THEY LIKE FOOD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_shake

Oh no. I think I do this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dog King posted:

I don't know if anyone finds it annoying when people go "hmmm" or make another sound when they're thinking. I don't. What I do find annoying is one guy I know who doesn't make any sound when he's thinking. And he's also hard of hearing, which makes it even worse because it can be genuinely difficult to tell if he didn't hear something you said or is just thinking about it
My one friends roommate is a buff Samoan called Will but he's really hard of hearing and has two girlfriends which I don't have a problem with but I whenever I say "hey Will" he can't hear me so I just started calling him Chris because he can hear the S. But he's still confused by it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You could call him Wilson? Or Swill I suppose.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

If someone says "One more question" they almost certainly mean "I have several dozen more questions"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

You could call him Wilson? Or Swill I suppose.

I mean it's become a thing and Jade and Katt keep telling him what I'm doing so he's starting to get it that would just make it weirder

Swill is actually not a bad idea but starting the word doesn't have the snap that gets his attention like ending the word with the s

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

My one friends roommate is a buff Samoan called Will but he's really hard of hearing and has two girlfriends which I don't have a problem with but I whenever I say "hey Will" he can't hear me so I just started calling him Chris because he can hear the S. But he's still confused by it

You could call him WilliS and when he asks what's up with that you can say I just thought it would be a cool nickname, because you are cool like Bruce Willis.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm making it sound like he's deaf but once he's talking to you he's totally focused I don't now how to explain it. His brain or ear functions or whatever just don't pick up peripheral sounds like most other humans do

Like trying to get his attention is difficult but talking to him is normal

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GolfHole posted:

If someone says "One more question" they almost certainly mean "I have several dozen more questions"

Columbo was the only one who is free from criticism re this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dog King posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo