Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:chloe:

:snyper:

:snypesomething:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I remember being so scared from just seeing what the chucky doll looked like. Now that im adult i get scared by adult things like dying alone and the coming climate change apocalypse

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not trying to sound like a badass or anything but The Exorcist didn't scare me at all. A lot of the scenes with the possessed girl doing demonic stuff even made me laugh. To be fair, I watched it as an adult only a few years ago, so A) I already knew quite a bit about it due to its own fame, B) it was an old movie by this point and thus a product of its time, and C) I was an adult. It was a good movie, but I enjoyed it as a more of a drama/thriller with a supernatural theme than a horror movie.

To be honest, now that I think about it, the movie that scared me the most, by far, was The Ring. Yes the American adaptation with Naomi Watts, not Ringu. I saw it in the theaters when I was 17 and while the movie itself scared me as I watched it, the real fear came during the following week. I think on day 6 I even called up one of the friends I watched it with just to check in make sure he was ok and not feeling haunted lol. I watched it again recently for nostalgia's sake and it was still a pretty good movie but not very scary.

Someone above mentioned Jacob's Ladder. I recommend that, OP.

:):respek::)

I should also add, to anyone who is considering watching Mulholland Drive, that Naomi Watts (of The Ring fame, coincidentally) is the main character in this movie, and she does a great job and you get to see both her boobs.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Devils Affricate posted:

Past age 35 or so, most of your natural fear response goes away because you're already supposed to be dead.

Makes sense!

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

yeah, real life is much scarier than horror movies, but that's kind of the point. It's a little pocket of controlled fear and tension that you can have fun with and laugh about, like rollercoasters and haunted houses. It's goofy. No poo poo I'm more scared of the transphobes in charge of my state and disease and climate change.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

runnypoops posted:

I remember being so scared from just seeing what the chucky doll looked like. Now that im adult i get scared by adult things like dying alone and the coming climate change apocalypse

I get scared by coming alone and the dying climate

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I find it really easy to get super scared when watching horror movies because I empathize with the characters and let my imagination run away with me. No way could I survive a zombie apocalypse because I can't run for long or know how to use guns, so I know I wouldn't survive that story. It gets me really freaked out!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, I somehow forgot Exorcist III. It has one expertly executed jump scare and falls apart at the end due to studio meddling, but it's mostly very solid. The screenplay is by the author of both The Exorcist and Legion (the book it's based on), and it's got George C Scott!

I also highly recommend both books. While there's very little change from page to screen, they're very different experiences from the films. They're about two men grappling with their faith, the former dismissing it with modern psychology and the latter doing so with the horrors of his experiences. I guess I find criticism of religion from a believer's viewpoint extremely fascinating.

And on the topic of disease, Contagion was a very good, very accurate film. Not explicitly horror, but extremely well-researched and had involvement from WHO, CDC, epidemiologists and friggin' Larry Brilliant. It correctly predicted a poo poo-ton about how Covid played out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Movies that have actually scared me are The Ring, Signs, that 30 second road clip from Xtro.

Huge fan of older zombie media, including RotLD. The second one isn't very good, but the third goes some interesting places. CHUD 2 is suspected of starting life as a Return of the Living Dead movie, as it has no real connection with CHUD. It's ok.

I can never watch Cannibal Holocaust, The Crazies, or Human Centipede again.

Antiviral by Brandon Cronenberg (son of David) is real hosed up, as is Splice. Both stayed with me for a while.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

cats was scary

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've been trying to watch some horror movies but it feels so weird watching them and not getting scared like I used to as a kid, it feels like you are missing the point of the whole thing. But then again, does anyone get scared by them anymore? Like, who the gently caress actually believes in ghosts (i know we have a thread going on gbs about that too)/curses/whatever in 2022?

With that said, any horror movie recommendations???????

No, because current horror movies are created by some group of executives that don’t understand that:

1. Really gross stuff isn’t scary, it’s just not fun to look at
2. Jump scares barely work at all now and don’t work at all after the 2/3rd time they are used
3. Jokes don’t improve horror scenes.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I've never been scared of horror movies, I watch them because they are fun or interesting. I gotta highly doubt that anyone watches a Dracula movie because he's just so darn scary, you know. Was someone quaking in their boots when they saw Re-Animator?

Jumpscares are dumb as hell and not scary. It's just like some guy jumping out yelling "BOO!!" That's at best startling and only makes the movie annoying to watch, cause welp time to turn down the volume so the movie doesn't rouse the neighbours when idiot boo comes. Then they go back to speaking in whispers so you gotta turn the volume back up.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jumpscares can be good if they build the tension well, oft-cited example being the blood test scene in The Thing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Or if they're cats.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I would have said don't look up, but what I felt was more dread then fear.

Silent hill 1 and 2 kind of scare me.

I mostly get scared of something of cosmic horror these day, a film need to easy me trough a slow process of alienation.

Like in stranger thing I am more scared of what the other world represent then the monster that are in that world.

Also jump scare works if there is like one or 2 in the movie, counting the fake out.

edit: I remember the last thing that truly scared me, it was Devilman crybaby, had nightmare for weeks.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 16, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't get scared so much as I get disturbed and troubled by horror movies.

The last 20 mins of Hereditary disturbed me and there were some parts of one of those seasons of Haunting that spooked me. The one with the hanging ghost.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_Ek67jfHU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

it follows and hereditary have been mentioned a lot but both are very good

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned rosemary's baby which is also a pretty good 'unsettling/dread' sort of horror. i also thought the babadook was very good at being scary without relying on jump scares. like the way it ends is much freakier to me than anything that happens before

a less well-known recommendation i can give is thai movie 'the blue hour' which is the slightly unusual combination of being a kind of lgbt love story whilst also being full of creeping dread. there is precisely one (1) jump scare in the whole film which i can forgive because it is really loving well executed

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Someone recommended a series called "Another." It's an anime; it was pretty good as a horror series but also gory and very "follows the rules of Asian ghosts" or however that goes. I can't talk about it any more without spoilers but the series does a good job of availing the information and also using the concept of jump scares to punctuate the slow burn horror as your anxiety tries to read everything before it happens.

It's more of a thriller, but the horror elements are all there, technically.

The original "The Thing" was good, as well as the 1982 movie. The most recent one is hot garbage.

nth'ing the "jump scares are all played out" angle from modern movies.

Jordan Peele is also a good go-to for modern somethings that don't suck.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm scared by all the animes recommended itt

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

yugioh mishima posted:

it follows and hereditary have been mentioned a lot but both are very good

it follows has another thing that is an easy spook for me - old ladies with bad intentions

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 16, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Das Boo posted:

Oh, I somehow forgot Exorcist III. It has one expertly executed jump scare and falls apart at the end due to studio meddling, but it's mostly very solid. The screenplay is by the author of both The Exorcist and Legion (the book it's based on), and it's got George C Scott!

I also highly recommend both books. While there's very little change from page to screen, they're very different experiences from the films. They're about two men grappling with their faith, the former dismissing it with modern psychology and the latter doing so with the horrors of his experiences. I guess I find criticism of religion from a believer's viewpoint extremely fascinating.

And on the topic of disease, Contagion was a very good, very accurate film. Not explicitly horror, but extremely well-researched and had involvement from WHO, CDC, epidemiologists and friggin' Larry Brilliant. It correctly predicted a poo poo-ton about how Covid played out.

My wife was like "What's that one movie?" and I was like, Contagion, a week into lockdown and we watched it and it was scary, 'cause who wants to be in a tent?

Suspiria was also effective.

The visceral betrayal by a spouse and the despair in Rosemary's Baby was scary. Also by Pulanski, The Tenant was good at instilling dread.

Possession, which that one Massive Attack video paid tribute to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7PuXAsPl9c

The Thing

Come and See

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sog3etUwtSk

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Lake Mungo is one of the scariest movies to me.

I'll avoid major spoilers, but basically a teenage girl is found dead, her brother becomes convinced her ghost is haunting the house and sets up cameras to catch it.

The movie has one jump scare, and it's famous for that jump scare, but it's set up well and makes sense. The rest of the movie is all character work, with a slowly unravelling mystery that keeps twisting and turning as you watch.

I find this thing terrifying because so much of the movie is about death. How people process the death of a family member, how people handle the specter of their own death, and what happens to all of us after we die. I found all of the family members really compelling and relatable, so the scary moments really stick with me.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

The Ring. Yes the American adaptation with Naomi Watts, not Ringu. I saw it in the theaters when I was 17 and while the movie itself scared me as I watched it, the real fear came during the following week. I think on day 6 I even called up one of the friends I watched it with just to check in make sure he was ok and not feeling haunted lol. I watched it again recently for nostalgia's sake and it was still a pretty good movie but not very scary.
It's funny cause what it inspired me to make this thread was a rewatch of The Ring. I still enjoyed it but was very disappointed that I didn't get scared like I remember being (my aunt also got really scared lol).

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Ring. Yes the one on Kirk's finger.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The two movies that scared me most as an adult were .REC and Hereditary. I really like horror that legitimately tries. I like camp/slasher stuff all right but I watch all sorts just for the hopes of something really, truly scary again

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The Den hosed me up pretty good. Thanks SuperMechagodzilla!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember when everyone was like "Paranormal Activity was so scary I can't sleep anymore :gonk: " and the trailers are just of people making GBS threads themselves in fear. And then you watch it and it's just this demon slamming doors and tipping things off tables, like oh no how can I sleep after seeing this :gonk:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Das Boo posted:

And Brad Dourif! It's a really underrated movie and that jump scare is one of the best in film history. The ending..... yeah you can totally tell right when the studio was like "oh poo poo we need a priest, gently caress gently caress gently caress we forgot about the priest!"

Das Boo posted:

Yeah it's eerily similar to how some parts of covid went down. Good movie.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
submitted for the approval

of the midnight society

*faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

bitterandtwisted posted:

Jumpscares can be good if they build the tension well, oft-cited example being the blood test scene in The Thing

Yeah, I think the biggest problem with jumpscares today is that they've become way too telegraphed to even really count as jumpscares most of the time. Spooky music builds, false alarm, BAM.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Leprechaun series is 2 spooky 4 me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jaws 3 wrecked me. gently caress. The. Ocean.

We should make sharks extinct.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

roomtone posted:

it follows has another thing that is an easy spook for me - old ladies with bad intentions

Boo

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Horror movies are for children

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

yugioh mishima posted:

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned rosemary's baby which is also a pretty good 'unsettling/dread' sort of horror.

:hmmyes: Good choice. I think I like religious type horror because I was raised Catholic for a bit so I still have the ghosts, ghouls, and demons and stuff in the back of my brain.

Also The Changeling with George C. Scott. I don't remember anything about it, even a plot synopsis, but I remember really liking it.

Here's how much of a pussy I was.
I saw the beginning of the 3rd NOES. Dream Warriors, when I was 4. My friend Lisa (a little older than me) had me over and said "Hey, wanna watch Freddy?!" Well of course I do that sounds like a nice name. Maybe a kid's show. It was not. I made it to the bathroom mirror scene before I started screaming and crying and Lisa's mom came down and was like "wtf are you doing showing him this?!" and I ran home. I had my first nightmare that night that I can remember. It was Freddy of course.

I didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13. It must have caused some sort of trauma (you can get PTSD from tons of things) and my sleep is all hosed up at 39 years old.

Also the only sleep paralysis I ever remember was when I was in a mental hospital and I was frozen and Freddy's gloved hand came up from under my bed and wrapped itself around my neck and started choking me and all I could eek out was "whooo..... arrree..... you....." and I "woke up."

Scary poo poo.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYzc2Xpup0

It's not a horror movie and I don't even read manga but I read through this and, I'm not going to say it scared me per se, but I did have a pretty strong emotional response. I was disturbed.

The best horror movies that do this sort of thing are movies with excellent editing and strong use of subliminal suggestion. So, two I can think of is The Shining, and The Exorcist. The reason no Exorcist sequel came close to the original is that none of them came close to the editing + subliminal suggestion.

So, take The Shining. There's a scene with Danny & his teddy bear at home. They used a real bear, except for the bear's eyes, which had some material glued on over them.

Why?

There's tons of subliminal poo poo like this in the movie. The room that Jack is interviewed in the hotel is known as "the impossible room" because it has an outside view from the window, which is impossible given the layout of the hotel. Danny when riding his big wheel goes from being on the upper level to the lower level, he never went "down" anything, and it appears to be one continuous shot. It's all this that may make people not feel "scared" per se when watching, but rather "uneasy," "strange," "disturbing," etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJvE4QyBEOg

More movies need to be made like that.

A lot of people are saying that the Blood on the Tracks manga, despite being extremely popular in Japan, will never get a movie or anime, because it's just too disturbing and difficult a subject to deal with, among other things.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 17, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dGpz6cnHo

I did find this kinda scary the first time I watched it actually. :cool: