Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Uh huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the ending to neon genesis evangelio was horrifyingly bad

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

that episode of star trek the next generation where they go to the The Royale

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

that episode of star trek the next generation where they go to the The Royale

That was the movie Pulp Fiction

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

that other star trek episode with the giant house cat scared the beejesus out of me

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I still find movies with spoopy ghosts very scary. I don’t even believe in ghosts but a good ghosty movie will keep me up for a week.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Horror movies are for children

gently caress yea showed my 9 year old nephew I Saw the Devil and now he just makes tik toks beheading stuffed animals

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

someone in this elevator is...THE DEVIL!!!! :twisted:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYzc2Xpup0

It's not a horror movie and I don't even read manga but I read through this and, I'm not going to say it scared me per se, but I did have a pretty strong emotional response. I was disturbed.

The best horror movies that do this sort of thing are movies with excellent editing and strong use of subliminal suggestion. So, two I can think of is The Shining, and The Exorcist. The reason no Exorcist sequel came close to the original is that none of them came close to the editing + subliminal suggestion.

So, take The Shining. There's a scene with Danny & his teddy bear at home. They used a real bear, except for the bear's eyes, which had some material glued on over them.

Why?

There's tons of subliminal poo poo like this in the movie. The room that Jack is interviewed in the hotel is known as "the impossible room" because it has an outside view from the window, which is impossible given the layout of the hotel. Danny when riding his big wheel goes from being on the upper level to the lower level, he never went "down" anything, and it appears to be one continuous shot. It's all this that may make people not feel "scared" per se when watching, but rather "uneasy," "strange," "disturbing," etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5QtZKSPt2o

More movies need to be made like that.

A lot of people are saying that the Blood on the Tracks manga, despite being extremely popular in Japan, will never get a movie or anime, because it's just too disturbing and difficult a subject to deal with, among other things.

I'll be checking out that manga RIGHT NOW because my mother was insanely overprotective of me (and still is as an adult) so I definitely relate. That detail in The Shining is crazy, never noticed that before.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

AKZ posted:

gently caress yea showed my 9 year old nephew I Saw the Devil and now he just makes tik toks beheading stuffed animals

maybe your family should stop inbreeding

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

maybe your family should stop inbreeding

I thought we were in agreement and you're all mean about it?

:confused:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

AKZ posted:

I thought we were in agreement and you're all mean about it?

:confused:

The real horror is in this thread

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The real horror is in this thread

Exorcist 3?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

rear end is my canvas posted:

I still find myself getting caught off guard and flinching at those jump scares when I'm look at Instagram. Like when you are not expecting a baseball or snapping turtle to come right at the screen. So I guess... it's possible still?

https://youtu.be/rPND96G14OQ

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
OP, have you tried reading reddit's Two Sentence Horror?

I should spoiler this but it's just too pivotal in the horror world to do so.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

OP, have you tried reading reddit's Two Sentence Horror?

I should spoiler this but it's just too pivotal in the horror world to do so.

It looks like those writing prompts posts

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's not a horror movie and I don't even read manga but I read through this and, I'm not going to say it scared me per se, but I did have a pretty strong emotional response. I was disturbed.

I'm currently on chapter 14 and yeah this bitch 100% crazy. Wonder wtf happened to her.

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

I still get scared watching horror movies. I can't handle them mostly. I got pretty scared watching The Batman, that rats thing was super creepy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that you have to believe in ghosts/monsters to be scared by well made horror

Lol

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I haven't watched a "horror" movie for decades because I just find it all tiresome and dumb. I mean, not judging, I watch some stupid poo poo, but my suspension of disbelief just doesn't cover this genre. I don't even remember the last time a movie scared me, I think maybe when I was like ten and saw some scene in a random movie where a spider dropped into a sleeping girl's mouth, no idea what that movie even was.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

remigious posted:

I still find movies with spoopy ghosts very scary. I don’t even believe in ghosts but a good ghosty movie will keep me up for a week.

Why

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like that doesn't seem normal for an adult

E: your writing style I mean

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Gemini Home Entertainment is some very good (and funny!) stuff.

The Mandela Catalogue is a Youtube horror series that I dig in spite of it being pretty laughable in several spots. There's some really timely stuff in it about government incompetence/cowardice and the psychological perils of isolation. If you enjoyed (and were able to overlook the flaws in) Marble Hornets then I'd give it a shot.

Trigger Warning: Contains scenes of self-harm/suicide.

https://youtu.be/C8d12w6pMos

olives black fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 17, 2022

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

The Nightmare Continues

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Big Beef City posted:

Like that doesn't seem normal for an adult

E: your writing style I mean

This is gbs, like most posters I put approximately 1.5 seconds of thought into my post :) this is not the place for artisanal bespoke posts!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Honestly surprised at how many people ITT found Hereditary to be scary. Maybe my horror radar is just broken, but I can't even really identify a single scene that seemed like it was supposed to be scary in the first place. Seriously, what scared you guys? The guy catching on fire?

I was also kind of upset with the movie because like 10 minutes in we're presented with a little girl getting her head lopped off, then 5 minutes later we get to stare at her decomposing severed head, as if we didn't get enough of it. I enjoyed the movie overall as a unique supernatural mystery, but that part in particular just kind of pissed me off. Nothing scary about it, it just felt like the director wanted to punish the audience.

Anyway I appreciate the Genshin Impact tie-in.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Devils Affricate posted:

Honestly surprised at how many people ITT found Hereditary to be scary. Maybe my horror radar is just broken, but I can't even really identify a single scene that seemed like it was supposed to be scary in the first place. Seriously, what scared you guys? The guy catching on fire?

I was also kind of upset with the movie because like 10 minutes in we're presented with a little girl getting her head lopped off, then 5 minutes later we get to stare at her decomposing severed head, as if we didn't get enough of it. I enjoyed the movie overall as a unique supernatural mystery, but that part in particular just kind of pissed me off. Nothing scary about it, it just felt like the director wanted to punish the audience.

For me it was the spoopy floating ghosty at the end! and the tension through.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

remigious posted:

This is gbs, like most posters I put approximately 1.5 seconds of thought into my post :) this is not the place for artisanal bespoke posts!

'spoopy'
'ghosty'

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I haven't seen all of it, but this scene from Kairo is a good example of scary/disturbing without using jump scares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYs87-kDXwg

The ballerina who did the performance said she couldn't sleep for a week after she finally saw the footage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love you BBC but whenever you do a.... well maybe your usual posting style, which I sometimes enjoy, all I can think of is....

I'm sure you're a good guy in reality. ;)

I love ghost movies. I mentioned before that I like possession movies and I REALLY like The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Not a very popular movie. It's not the best and the possession stuff isn't shown a whole lot. It's basically a crime drama tbh. I'm normally not a fan of those but drat this movie got me. Jennifer Carpenter acted her rear end off.

Poltergeist and P2 were great. I liked The Conjuring actually. I'm sure there's a ton of ghost movies I like. You don't have to believe in them to find the movies fun.

edit: Scary Movie 2. Yep. Fight me.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 17, 2022

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I tend to avoid horror films but watched The Wailing which was great. Its set in rural south Korea I think and everything starts going abit wrong but people's responses stay very normal and down to earth which heightens the fear/tension of the strange things that are happening.

The setting was pretty cool too

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you want to get scared turn off your monitor lol

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Devils Affricate posted:

Honest answer is that a lot of things in Hereditary are things I've had nightmares about. Particularly when Charlie's standing in the corner and her head lulls forward, dropping to the floor and becoming a ball. I have had that nightmare and it makes me feel a very visceral fear that I remember from my dream.

Another one that I didn't recommend on here because it hits that very particular chord is Whistle and I'll Come to You from 1968. It hit HARD for me. The only other person I've recommended it to that found it scary was my mom. She told me about a nightmare she had as a little girl (one she still remembers some 60 years on) and I got the same feeling from the film as the way she told her story. It wound up hitting her in that exact same way.

It's kinda like if you had a close call at one particular intersection and then tense up every time you go through it afterward.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Devils Affricate posted:

Scary is the wrong word for Hereditary. Hereditary is traumatizing and you're right about the director wanting to punish the audience.

I watched Midsommar the other week and didn't like it nearly as much but he does similar things there.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

mudskipp posted:

I tend to avoid horror films but watched The Wailing which was great. Its set in rural south Korea I think and everything starts going abit wrong but people's responses stay very normal and down to earth which heightens the fear/tension of the strange things that are happening.

The setting was pretty cool too

I loved The Wailing. It meshed so many disparate elements so well and the ritual scenes were really intense.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Spoilers for Prince of Darkness. Just go watch it now, or maybe this will intrigue you once you read it. It's John Carpenter, and the score is excellent as per usual.

quote:

This is not a dream.
We are using your brain's electrical system as a receiver.
We are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference.
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream.
We are transmitting from the year one, nine, nine, nine.
You are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events you are seeing.
Our technology has not developed a transmitter strong enough to reach your conscious state of awareness, but this is not a dream.
You are seeing what is actually occurring for the purpose of causality violation."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m a big baby and things scare me quickly. Haunting of hill house some of the scenes stuck with me for weeks

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

REC is pretty good and scary.

But my favourite horror movie of all time is The Blair Witch Project. Nothing was able to unnerve me like that one, and the fact that we never see the Witch is the secret to how frightening it is.

But I'm a fan of psychological horror in general. Implied horror is more effective that clearly showing the monster in the closet. This is why found footage was such a great niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I do remember getting an adrenaline rush from horror movies into adulthood but not so much now.
Maybe the meant to be dead by 35 thing is true.

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember when everyone was like "Paranormal Activity was so scary I can't sleep anymore :gonk: "

I watched it back then hungover and the scene where she starts getting dragged out of bed really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, freaked my housemate out too.

Hereditary and Midsommar were more nasty and deeply unpleasant than scary to me. I liked the overall themes though.

I liked Babadook but its meant to be polarising. It did a pretty good job representing sleep paralysis.

The series Evil is great, not scary but amusing.