Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Movies can still scare me, but books don't really anymore and that makes me sad :(

I miss when I was kid and could read a scary book that would make it impossible for me to get a good night's sleep for the next week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still read a lot of horror books. Well basically just Stephen King. Some of his books can be disturbing or sometimes even scary to me. Nothing that'll keep me up at night though. Scary enough to want me to keep reading the next night. I'm reading Carrie right now.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kntfkr posted:

Hereditary had parts that scared me in the theater.

Agree. This movie is the only movie I’ve seen in a long time that truly frightened me

Also jump scares generally aren’t scary. They’re just startling

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 18, 2022

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The Taking of Deborah Logan is pretty good and I don't think that was mentioned so I'm throwing it out there

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Revins posted:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is pretty good and I don't think that was mentioned so I'm throwing it out there

^ very good and found footage

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: incoming long post

Not a fan of found footage. I worked at a movie theater when the Blair Witch project came out. I saw it and honestly, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. That pushed me off of found footage, even though it was probably the first one ever or at least a very early one. I watched Paranormal Activity and, just terrible. I could probably go into a big spiel about why I'm not a fan but I'll spare you all.

Someone mentioned Don't Look Up and that's not really horror. Sort of. I mean it's stuff that we all see every day already but it's still a good movie. 28 Days Later scared me because I think that was the first movie I ever saw fast "zombies." It was really bleak and scared me sometimes. I saw Jaws when I was maybe 8 or so and I was terrified of going in the water. Even pools. Whenever I got out of a pool I'd get out as fast as I could so a shark wouldn't get my legs.

Silence of the Lambs was pretty good too. Anthony Hopkins is just fantastic and it's creepy as poo poo. I liked The Conjuring but it wasn't very scary. A few jump scares which, as most of us do, I hate. But I love ghost movies. A few people mentioned the Ring and that's a good one too. I love Naomi Watts and man.... the closet scene. You all know what I'm talking about. Insidious scared me but it mostly relied on jump scares and big loud sounds. Lame. 10 Cloverfield Lane was really good but not really scary in the horror sense. It's more of a thriller. Carrie was really good. And the end was probably one of the first jump scares done right.

Oh... Poltergeist 2 was good. I mean the first one was fantastic but the second one scared me more.

omg I can't believe I forgot one of my favorite horror movies ever. IT. The 1990 Tim Curry version. I watched it with my friend who lived in my neighborhood when I was about 12. I tried to act cool the entire time and forced some laughs out.... but I was terrified. After the movie it was dusk and my friend was going to walk home. My mom told me that I had to walk him home. So I did, and holy poo poo after he went inside I booked my rear end home. Running the entire way.

Sorry for the long post, a bunch of stuff just popped into my head. Horror is one of my favorite genres but I tend to like older stuff.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
the descent was good

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's not a horror movie and I don't even read manga but I read through this and, I'm not going to say it scared me per se, but I did have a pretty strong emotional response. I was disturbed.

I just finished reading all the currently available 123 chapters and it's gonna suck waiting for updates now. I definitely can relate to the story (not everything of course).

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
All of the other mangas by the same author ended in year six, so if that follows with this one, it should end some time this year.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I remember the exact moment when I was 17 and I realized that horror movies (which used to scare the everliving poo poo out of me) no longer really scared me anymore, at least not beyond a simmering "ooh that's spooky." And then just a couple days later The Ring came out and kicked my rear end and later that night had me scared of turning out the light like I was 6 years old again (in this case the really old TV in my room wasn't helping matters...).

That was the last time I really got scared from a horror movie. I still love 'em, though, and can find the good ones suspenseful, spooky, etc. Looking back it's funny because it was just like the end of a horror movie where right when the last survivor thinks it's all over Carrie's hand pops out of her grave!!/ child Jason leaps out out of the water!!/ the Xenomorph was there in the shuttle the whole time!! for one last big scare.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Ring and Spirited Away were my first DVDs. Got 'em for my 15th birthday. The Ring definitely made me a little wary of mirrors for a few weeks after.

I saw Blair Witch Project and Lake Mungo mentioned above! Those are two of three films that give me goosebumps no matter how many times I've seen them. (Third being the "Anna...?" scene in The Innocents.) Lake Mungo is particularly good on a conceptual level: The idea of ghosts being brushes of time paired with going out into the dark to meet the embodiment of your own inevitable death is powerful stuff!

And while not... scary scary? I loving love The Devil's Backbone. Goddamn, what a beautiful film.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
For sure and nthing Hereditary and gently caress anything with UFOs. And for some reason The Ritual really got me, too.

I'm sure there are scarier movies out there but I must throw a mention to Grave Encounters, the first one anyway. It's a pretty standard "locked in an asylum" style found footage kind of movie with some dodgy CGI at the end. Idk there is something about characters realizing how irrevocably hosed they are that is so tantalizing to me, a sicko .

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I feel sorry for the ghost lady in the Ring and if she came out of my TV i would be her pal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My city's lighthouse is in that movie for a brief sec when she's searching online. :)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Wilkins Micawber posted:

For sure and nthing Hereditary and gently caress anything with UFOs. And for some reason The Ritual really got me, too.

I'm sure there are scarier movies out there but I must throw a mention to Grave Encounters, the first one anyway. It's a pretty standard "locked in an asylum" style found footage kind of movie with some dodgy CGI at the end. Idk there is something about characters realizing how irrevocably hosed they are that is so tantalizing to me, a sicko .

hell yea I love Grave Encounters. You're right, too because really it should be a bog standard found footage with but it has a little extra push.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Endless and Annihilation really freaked me out and still do kind of. They're probably the most recent horror films that have actually scared me

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 18, 2022

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Time loop ideas are probably the scariest ideas to me in horror tropes

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Where's that video of a Japanese guy walking in circles in a dilapidated house that gets more and more infested saying things like "It's raining today..." I think it was part of a series?

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 18, 2022

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also I really tried to get into Antichrist and took it seriously until the loving decaying fox says "chaos reigns" and I just started laughing cause it was so loving cheesy and I couldn't watch the rest of it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like if they had restrained themselves and just had the fox say nothing it would have been fine. But they were idiots and decided it had to talk

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Time loop ideas are probably the scariest ideas to me in horror tropes

The Endless was unsettling like that. Especially the guy stuck in his tent in a loop that lasted only a couple of seconds and ended with him getting exploded. Given his clothing and the gramophone it had to have been happening over and over and over for more than 100 years. Creepy as hell.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I did see Resolution and The Endless and I enjoyed it them both (The Endless more). Are there more horror movies with a time loop theme like that as well?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember Triangle being surprisingly good, but I've only seen it once.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mooey Cow posted:

I feel sorry for the ghost lady in the Ring and if she came out of my TV i would be her pal

You sure about that?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You sure about that?

Yeah she just wants a friend, someone to watch the tape with

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Endless was unsettling like that. Especially the guy stuck in his tent in a loop that lasted only a couple of seconds and ended with him getting exploded. Given his clothing and the gramophone it had to have been happening over and over and over for more than 100 years. Creepy as hell.

There was one I've never seen so I don't remember the name of it but it was people lost in a cornfield? It was similar to the endless because it was some mysterious higher being with unknowable plots controlling it behind the scenes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

Honestly the part about that scene that I can't erase from my mind is the sound the gramophone makes it just keeps going over and over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHeTvKNvATM

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Annihilation had a lot of extremely disturbing scenes but the most well known is the horrifying half dead bear that has moments of their dead friend's speech in it's moans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQxiNQs3xo

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Lake Mungo is one of the scariest movies to me.
As dude said a while back, "True horror is seeing something approach" and this film's the perfect example. The way the film starts off as an old fashioned ghost story, then reveals it's all just a prank, and then while your guard is down it slaps you with the campsite scene is one of the best setups in any horror ever.

the daughter's diary entry spoken over the gorgeous misty hills photography is pretty terrifying too, especially if you relate to any of it

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 18, 2022

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Aesop Poprock posted:

There was one I've never seen so I don't remember the name of it but it was people lost in a cornfield? It was similar to the endless because it was some mysterious higher being with unknowable plots controlling it behind the scenes

"In the Tall Grass" (Netflix) ?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That would be it. Again I haven't seen it so I can't say if it's good or not

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Lascivious Sloth posted:

the descent was good

Agreed, that movie is pure dread from start to finish. The basic premise alone is terrifying, and done really well. I love horrors that get under your skin. Can also recommend "As above, so below", really creepy plus it takes place in the catacombs underneath Paris, which is an amazing location. Again that constant atmosphere of dread and lots of mind fuckery.

Also, speaking of France, I'd recommend "Martyrs". Very much not what you expect it to be, it goes to really weird places and tends to throw you for a loop a few times when you think you've figured out what's happening. Does get gory at times, which I don't really care for but I feel it serves the story it's telling. And it's a brutal story.

Aesop Poprock posted:

That would be it. Again I haven't seen it so I can't say if it's good or not

It's not. Starts of promising, and with an interesting concept, but it really doesn't do much with it. I really wanted to like it but the movie actively doesn't want you to do that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok. Yeah the plot and the setting seemed like something I would like but I just never got around to it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Having a ghost friend would be awesome, idk why being haunted is such a horror trope

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is probably a good thread to mention the SA Scream Stream. It goes all month long every weekend starting in October. It's run by Lurdiak in the Cinema Discuso thread. There is a pizza raffle! I've won it maybe twice before. I think I've been there the past 5+ years.

There is a theme every year and it's really fun. He plays a lot of not-as-well-known horror movies as well as some big ones we all know. I think he plays 2 of them and then there's an after party where he plays a TV show series like Twilight Zone or X-Files or something. Also at the very very end at like 2:30am he plays some Big Cat Rescue youtube videos of big kitties (very big, tigers etc) getting fed and stuff. It's adorable.

I highly recommend it. I generally get hosed up and watch it all night. It's fun to discuss the movies as we watch them. :)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Aesop Poprock posted:

Annihilation had a lot of extremely disturbing scenes but the most well known is the horrifying half dead bear that has moments of their dead friend's speech in it's moans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQxiNQs3xo

The audio for this was amazing in the theater and very creepy

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

spleen merchant posted:

I do remember getting an adrenaline rush from horror movies into adulthood but not so much now.
Maybe the meant to be dead by 35 thing is true.

I watched it back then hungover and the scene where she starts getting dragged out of bed really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, freaked my housemate out too.

Hereditary and Midsommar were more nasty and deeply unpleasant than scary to me. I liked the overall themes though.

I liked Babadook but its meant to be polarising. It did a pretty good job representing sleep paralysis.

The series Evil is great, not scary but amusing.

The Babadook was the last horror movie I watched, and I really liked it. I had to be talked into it for a while by my friend who reassured me that it wasn't a typical horror movie.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Incident in a Ghost Land is a real weird ride.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mooey Cow posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mooey Cow posted:

Yeah SO SHE CAN KILL YOU

Good god did you even watch the movie?