Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A YouTube link of the same session:

https://youtu.be/mhZcNA16m8A?si=VzapVNYXg1zW-zz2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Replayed the game, this time I picked the Polish version. It wasn't very good unfortunately. The translation itself was decent but there were a lot of typos and contextual mistakes. I'll probably just play it in English if I ever replay it again (which is likely). Has anyone here checked out other translations, are they as sloppy?

That said the game's still amazing. I miss playing it for the first time and frantically looking at the countdown wondering how the hell am I supposed to solve the murder but all the emotional bits still hit hard (August :cry: )

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

macabresca posted:

Has anyone here checked out other translations, are they as sloppy?
The french one was good until it wasn't, with Act 3 having a lot of errors, although I should probably play it again to see if it's been improved. I know that they corrected an absolutely hilarious error which had Magdalene's "Barbs" personality translated with the french word for "barbarians" (I suspect either a translation software trained on Diablo 2 forums or a human translator similarly familiar with Diablo 2 who wasn't given enough info about Pentiment).

I know that the last time I played a few months ago the game had "Anchoress" translated as "Anachorète" (good) in a dialogue and "Ancreuse" (bad, basically an expansion on the french word of "anchor") in the journal.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

macabresca posted:

Has anyone here checked out other translations, are they as sloppy?

Dug up someone's stream vods of the Japanese localization around when that came out and it was missing the vast majority of the glossary prompts and blindly kept text red even when the localized text had no reference to God making it effectively just random smatterings of color, think I gave up watching before the poor dude playing it even left the screen outside the Gertners' house.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was a really interesting watch, I love how often I hear about the things that people thought were the most unbelievable in a piece of media actually being almost a straight-up retelling of an actual thing that happened in real life.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope the German translation was good, at least

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
An enjoyable talk, but I wish it was more about the game. Understandable that it isn't to avoid spoilers but now I keep wondering what that far-fetched thing that people dislike in the plot but actually happened is.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 19, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vookatos posted:

A nenjoyable talk, but I wish it was more about the game. Understandable that it isn't to avoid spoilers but now I keep wondering what that far-fetched thing that people dislike in the plot but actually happened is.

A guy stealing the identity of another man and going back to that guy's hometown and slotting himself into his life. The Martin who runs away in Act 1 dies and is replaced by a guy who had partnered up with him for crimes for a time, who "returns" to Tassing and is accepted by the family and takes over that life. It is based on the real life story of Martin Guerre.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can also watch the contemporary docuseries “Mad Men”

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
It never seemed super far fetched to me. If I recall his wife says, yeah of course I know it’s not him, but life is hard and he treats us well…. Until he doesn’t

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vookatos posted:

An enjoyable talk, but I wish it was more about the game. Understandable that it isn't to avoid spoilers but now I keep wondering what that far-fetched thing that people dislike in the plot but actually happened is.

Act III spoiler:
Probably a person living on the outskirts of civilization for years subsisting on theft without being detected. Something Christopher Thomas Knight, the North Pond Hermit, did for almost 30 years between 1986 and 2013. Andreas "only" does it for like 20 years

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 22, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
You mean act 3 Disco Elysium spoilers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ilitarist posted:

You mean act 3 Disco Elysium spoilers.

Both

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

In the case of Disco Elysium doesn't he say that eventually he could just hide in plain sight because everyone forgot about the revolution? Made a little more sense than it did in Pentiment.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://x.com/coreybrickley/status/1740322799321858169?s=46&t=hN7QrcuD7lAZiiIdTJ-hdA

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Columbo would have found the real killer(s) pronto but he would also be burned at the stake for witchcraft after he drove into town in that old beater of his.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Reminds me of an old comedy sketch (from where, I can't remember) telling the story of Christopher Columbo discovering America. The bit that always made me chuckle was him lighting a match and reaching for a cigar... then him looking at the match with a 'why did I just do this'? expression.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Restarted it after a long time and finally finished it. What an incredible and unique game, it's easily on my list of best games ever played. The game feels like a labor of love, sincerely hope we get more games like this exploring other places and eras.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Might need Ropekid to go back to school for a few years.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Listening to the latest Noclip podcast and they dropped the news that a Pentiment doc is in the works...

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Where can we catch that when the time comes?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Sounds like Pentiment may be coming to PS5. Looking forward to more people playing this.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

antidote posted:

Sounds like Pentiment may be coming to PS5. Looking forward to more people playing this.

Also for Switch.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

antidote posted:

Where can we catch that when the time comes?

Oh sorry, their YouTube channel is here

https://youtube.com/@NoclipDocs

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

not a bot posted:

Also for Switch.

I'd expect it to be released on Switch initially, but I suppose Obsidian has a bad history with Switch ports. Also while the game looks simple from the technical point of view it probably has a lot of mystical tech under the hood, like people's faces are 3D models IIRC. Maybe it needed some additional work for Switch.

I've played on PC with a gamepad and the controls were fine, by the way.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Playing through for the first time... is there a way to fast travel? The art is beautiful, but the 2 second load time page transition is quickly growing old as I have to go from monastery to city and back through 10 different scenes.

I feel like I'm wandering around a lot to see who I can talk to, only to be disappointed when there aren't many people to talk to. I wish there were different icons for:
- Just says hello or one line of dialogue
- New dialogue you haven't seen
- Move between map locations

I'm also unclear what advances time or doesn't -- in Act 1 I ran into the countdown time but some convos advanced time but others didn't and I probably missed something.

Is there a way to see the dialogue history? Sometimes I click through too fast and miss a line.

Would also love a way to go "back" -- sometimes I'll tab in and misclick on an option I didn't mean to pick.

Love the setting / art style / everything about this game, so consider these nitpicks :)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 17, 2024

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

alcaras posted:

Playing through for the first time... is there a way to fast travel? The art is beautiful, but the 2 second load time page transition is quickly growing old as I have to go from monastery to city and back through 10 different scenes.

I feel like I'm wandering around a lot to see who I can talk to, only to be disappointed when there aren't many people to talk to. I wish there were different icons for:
- Just says hello or one line of dialogue
- New dialogue you haven't seen
- Move between map locations

I'm also unclear what advances time or doesn't -- in Act 1 I ran into the countdown time but some convos advanced time but others didn't and I probably missed something.

Is there a way to see the dialogue history? Sometimes I click through too fast and miss a line.

Would also love a way to go "back" -- sometimes I'll tab in and misclick on an option I didn't mean to pick.

Love the setting / art style / everything about this game, so consider these nitpicks :)

Time only advances when you hit a dialogue option that goes "hey, are you sure?". As long as you don't start those you can run around and talk to everyone.

The game also has multiple autosaves, and it autosaves at each screen transition, so if you mess up a choice you can go back by loading as long as you haven't walked around too much since then but you will have to do the entire conversation/event again.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Finished my first playthrough. That was wonderful. A different pace; a game that is also a work of art.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Soup's on.

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1760726425277977052

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice! Gonna give that as a birthday gift a few times this year, I predict.

Will there be a physical PC version, or just for the consoles?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw and downloaded the new update on Steam, which I assume is adding cross-play.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's not. Cross-play is not supported. However, the patch does fix a bunch of minor and a few more serious bugs.

Subjunctive posted:

Will there be a physical PC version, or just for the consoles?
AFAIK just consoles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rope kid posted:

AFAIK just consoles.

Well I hope you will register my displeasure with the appropriate authorities!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Starting a second playthrough on Switch! Gonna try to play a totally different way this time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rope kid posted:

It's not. Cross-play is not supported. However, the patch does fix a bunch of minor and a few more serious bugs.

That's too bad, games with cross play seem to do better at keeping their multiplayer communities thriving

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I am pretty confident that Pentiment's thriving multiplayer community isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

And you can take that... to the bank.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
As a console player I'll be glad to have no crossplay. The PC multiplayer scene is absolutely rotten with cheaters and powergamers following the Latin/Law meta

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Otoh the cookie cutting minigame has way too much aim assist on consoles. No skill required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

rope kid posted:

Soup's on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJllkeYZ8r4&t=377s

I am excited to play and share Pentiment in more mediums. Thank you for making the game more available.