Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh poo poo, that's why it has berries next to it? I always vaguely wondered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It would have been better to have it be like a character’s personal talent rather than linking it to gender but judging by the rest of the game’s content that I’ve seen so far I don’t think the dev meant it as anything other than a customizable stat quirk

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
having gender based stat differences is bad, but having a gender clinic that you can inadvertently fall into from the chimney is good, so i'm willing to call it a wash

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I got this game thanks to the thread and so far it's been great. the worst part was too much falling down and backtracking in the starting area – in the mid-game transportation gets a lot better

I found the starting gender choice annoying especially by making you choose without understanding the stat system. but after getting to the capitol city I see it's both cohesive game design and, once I get more money, encouragement to make my whole party genderfluid to try more dumb builds. also lol at the game's lost and found and purchasable bestiary entries

one problem is I found a Mars Stone which takes me to a desert where NPCs all talk about players being banished without any context, and are many levels higher than my party. feels like I missed something. so far I've done the two quintar dungeons and did the sewer and jail, and made it most of the way through the salmon river. did I miss other areas I should finish first?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

A suggestion for anyone trying out this game is to go to Options > More Options > Assist Options and turning on enhanced home point to give you 3 home points available at a time instead of 1, it makes the game a lot less annoying to play early on when you have a bunch of options for where you can go.

take boat posted:

one problem is I found a Mars Stone which takes me to a desert where NPCs all talk about players being banished without any context, and are many levels higher than my party. feels like I missed something. so far I've done the two quintar dungeons and did the sewer and jail, and made it most of the way through the salmon river. did I miss other areas I should finish first?

Assuming you've done the area above where you got the Mars stone then no I think that's about everything available up to that point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think there's some lore books a NPC has early in the game, maybe in the Capital but I don't remember where exactly, that briefly go into that stuff, and you may want to check the message board at the center of the Capital, but otherwise yeah, it does kinda come out of nowhere.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I think there's some lore books a NPC has early in the game, maybe in the Capital but I don't remember where exactly, that briefly go into that stuff, and you may want to check the message board at the center of the Capital, but otherwise yeah, it does kinda come out of nowhere.

I think I saw a few lines about it in the boomer society hq, and yeah one note on the message board

some real dark souls-esque world building

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I got Valkyrie and Assassin finally and wow they really tie the room together, don't they? Valkyrie is super useful on both healers and tanks and Assassin is deleting things when it crits thanks to its passive.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
It doesn't seem consistent, but I've noticed sometimes when I hit with my rogue or something, every enemy will immediately top threat one of my casters or something. Any idea what's going on?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
I'm very proud of myself for discovering One Weird Trick to trivialize the mid-game with monster magic

the crag demon flying around the cliffs east of the castle moat opens the battle with fire breath, which has zero charge time and wipes my level 40 party before I get a turn. guess I'm still not strong enough yet. I am however strong enough to stack enough resistance+ on my mages to barely survive and learn the skill. so now I start every battle with two fire breath blasts for 2k+ instant damage and the burn status on anything that's still standing. the only downside is it costs 50mp per cast but I'm sitting on max tinctures and ethers so not really a problem

you could even use the stalwart passive to pull this off when you first get to the capital city...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nice, I never figured out a good way to do that but was like "drat, if only I could do that"

didn't even think about Stalwart!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Aquasnake posted:

It doesn't seem consistent, but I've noticed sometimes when I hit with my rogue or something, every enemy will immediately top threat one of my casters or something. Any idea what's going on?

Some knowledgeable ducks informed me that you generate threat on your turn when you're below half health. I think that's what was happening.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally beat the ultimate boss and got all the achievements. The very final boss was tough until I got the Warlock ultimate armor, which lets you use unlimited Dualcast, and after several Summons got them to critical and my Valhalla/Hunter getting Banished, my Warlock used his 400+MP to slowly chip away the rest of them in one turn to the point where Burn damage would finish them off.

What a game! Probably my GotY so far, I'd love to do some challenges at some point, among other things. Definitely gonna take a break for now though!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Finally beat the ultimate boss and got all the achievements. The very final boss was tough until I got the Warlock ultimate armor, which lets you use unlimited Dualcast, and after several Summons got them to critical and my Valhalla/Hunter getting Banished, my Warlock used his 400+MP to slowly chip away the rest of them in one turn to the point where Burn damage would finish them off.

What a game! Probably my GotY so far, I'd love to do some challenges at some point, among other things. Definitely gonna take a break for now though!

This game has been cool, but I had to adjust some settings because I wanted a cool game I could dock around in and suddenly stuff is trashing me. Though I will say that preparation is key and you can’t just tackle things using whatever makeup you have. Lots of bosses kick my rear end and I’ve had to go back, shuffle the party around, and come back with new guns a blazing and it’s worked.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Looks like the demo is gone from Steam :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The General posted:

Looks like the demo is gone from Steam :negative:
You're not looking in the right place, it's on the right side in the sidebar:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Now I just feel dumb. The last bunch of demos I've downloaded have had giant demo buttons.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The General posted:

Now I just feel dumb. The last bunch of demos I've downloaded have had giant demo buttons.
i think the location of the demo button changes after a game is released. that isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's what I've seen the most often

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
So, was this game made by a goon? Crabs go SNIP SNIP and a warlock is RPing removing his robe and wizard hat, and I just started so maybe there's more.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just did the chain of optional endgame bosses and got the last achievement, what a game. This is legit the best jRPG system I've played in years.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mortimer Knag posted:

So, was this game made by a goon? Crabs go SNIP SNIP and a warlock is RPing removing his robe and wizard hat, and I just started so maybe there's more.

Those are just general boomer internet memes

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Kild posted:

Those are just general boomer internet memes

that doesn't answer the question

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
This game looks incredible, why don't I see any buzz around it? Strongly considering picking it up

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought the full game because it's just so great.

But it does need just a smidge of coyote time. Not sure how many times I've had to walk around his hill to retry jumping from the treetops becuase I am a smidge too late on the jump button :argh:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/RiverRunGames/status/1548315268736172032

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Picked this game up during the past sale and have been poking at it occasionally. I've been enjoying it!

One small issue though - I keep getting this occasional stutter while exploring. I saw once that it happened when the autosave prompt appeared, so I disabled that thinking it'd fix the issue, but it still happens on occasion. It's not game ruining or anything, but it'd be nice if I knew how to fix it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just unlocked Reaper. It looks cool and a fun way to play a tank, building up HP and lifestealing. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Just unlocked Reaper. It looks cool and a fun way to play a tank, building up HP and lifestealing. :allears:
Throw an accessory with lifesteal on your party member in the class. It makes it work even better.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also, if you find the Blood Sword weapon early on, it makes that class borderline gamebreaking for a decent portion of the game until the sword eventually becomes obsolete.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Goddamn Owlbear is wrecking my poo poo :argh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Do the pro strat and run back into the building and have it chase you into the spikes, so that it's gone when you respawn and you can skip the entire battle.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:aaaaa:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
As a plus, it'll respawn when you reenter the area until you actually kill it, and there's a teleport crystal right to the top of the shrine. So you'll have a very easy way to come back and kill it later.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The owl bear is a dick, but it also definitely sets the tone for the rest of the game, so grind out a level or two and some class abilities and come back with a strategy and it’ll go down easy.

Unless you’re on easy or have a bunch of custom settings the fights are gonna get more challenging and a general strategy is going to be required

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/RiverRunGames/status/1558457549279698945

Randomizer seems to be going well!

...Mostly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/RiverRunGames/status/1563948768638242822

Version 1.30 is up on the beta branch. It includes New Game +, Challenge Modes, and a Randomizer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
official randomizer support. my god

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

official randomizer support. my god

:toot:
gently caress yes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/RiverRunGames/status/1583768622475845632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's now Steam Workshop support for Crystal Project.