Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I played for a few weeks, got to the final boss, and stopped. Not because of difficulty, but, uh...

This game, like FFV, has a whole LOT of ways to break it. I personally didn't find combat that busted, but we probably don't know about a bunch of weird glitches and edge case interactions yet, either.

The big thing is that the platforming is just as janky. It's more than happy to let you sequence break if you know where you're going - or if you have absolutely no clue where you're going but are drat good at getting there.

The wonky thing about sequence breaking in this game is that unlike in a lot of games, it actually breaks the sequence; if you hit a place where a new scenario flag happens, sometimes it leapfrogs all prior scenario flags, assuming you meant to get here and know what you're skipping; other times it just doesn't do whatever it was supposed to do there because the previous stuff didn't happen. There's a few places it catches itself (key-type items being left in a place where you'd get it from a cutscene with now-invalid characters, etc), but for the most part it'll happily chug along.

So what does this all mean? Well, in my specific case, I missed the plot in its entirety! :D I kept finding places out of order, so people kept referencing events I'd never seen. I could draw some conclusions but was mostly lost in terms of plot. I never saw what was supposedly the big driving force behind the plot (people getting banished), but everyone was panicking over it and like half the non-shop NPCs ended up gone, like FF2 but without a cool tornado dreadnaught piloted by an angel demon emperor back from both heaven and hell.

I even managed to find the final boss! ...except I got there before I was supposed to, too, so I missed the boss immediately before it that probably would've told me what was going on, or revealed the twist that the game thought I already knew when I arrived. It was kind of amazing how much it let me gently caress up the story, I couldn't believe it!

Don't take this as negative criticism, because this is actually totally hilarious and I am super glad it lets you do this. I just kinda wish there was some better signposting as to where you're supposed to go first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU