Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I got this game thanks to the thread and so far it's been great. the worst part was too much falling down and backtracking in the starting area – in the mid-game transportation gets a lot better

I found the starting gender choice annoying especially by making you choose without understanding the stat system. but after getting to the capitol city I see it's both cohesive game design and, once I get more money, encouragement to make my whole party genderfluid to try more dumb builds. also lol at the game's lost and found and purchasable bestiary entries

one problem is I found a Mars Stone which takes me to a desert where NPCs all talk about players being banished without any context, and are many levels higher than my party. feels like I missed something. so far I've done the two quintar dungeons and did the sewer and jail, and made it most of the way through the salmon river. did I miss other areas I should finish first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I think there's some lore books a NPC has early in the game, maybe in the Capital but I don't remember where exactly, that briefly go into that stuff, and you may want to check the message board at the center of the Capital, but otherwise yeah, it does kinda come out of nowhere.

I think I saw a few lines about it in the boomer society hq, and yeah one note on the message board

some real dark souls-esque world building

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
I'm very proud of myself for discovering One Weird Trick to trivialize the mid-game with monster magic

the crag demon flying around the cliffs east of the castle moat opens the battle with fire breath, which has zero charge time and wipes my level 40 party before I get a turn. guess I'm still not strong enough yet. I am however strong enough to stack enough resistance+ on my mages to barely survive and learn the skill. so now I start every battle with two fire breath blasts for 2k+ instant damage and the burn status on anything that's still standing. the only downside is it costs 50mp per cast but I'm sitting on max tinctures and ethers so not really a problem

you could even use the stalwart passive to pull this off when you first get to the capital city...