Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

WEC was loving magical. At its peak it was just the perfect platonic balance between genuine talent being tested and fun matchups between entertaining fighters. It was a place where English people could wrestle and where Japanese challengers had fight of the year nominee title fights (Mizugaki/Torres and Maeda/Torres are both amazing) instead of getting crushed by some dude from Idaho. I watched an event a night when I was working a job I loving hated and, honestly, it got me through it.

Also, watching so many of its alumni do really well in the UFC is how I imagine Pride fans expected things to go. This should be a treat.

First MMA event I saw was a replay of a WEC show it ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boco_T posted:

- Still no coverage of WEC or this show in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

One week after Summerlam where Brock beats Rock and Rock goes to make movies I think.

Its also in between ufc ppvs in July and September.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

Gabe Ruediger was the guy on TUF who begged to be allowed a colonic to help him make weight after eating a cake. And everyone mocked him for a lack of dedication, but in my book willing to have a colonic is extreme dedication

Also not even the strangest thing in one of my favorite all time TUF seasons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mekchu posted:

Gabe passed out naked on the back deck from cutting weight was also in that season.

As was the Andy Wang battle cry.

Double KO in the finale too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tim Kennedy, best known for having a win over Robbie Lawler and being in that controversial Yoel Romero match in the UFC.

edit:

In November is UFC 40, which of course was a massive PPV at the time and if you watched WEC 5 you probably also saw UFC 40.

November and December also saw two massive Pride shows (Pride Never Die) including Fedor, Big Nog, Little Nog, Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Hendo and Overeem. Jesus those cards would probably draw today lmao.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 7, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here comes a special boy!!!!!

Spoiler he only has one fight in WEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I thought that was a "Smackdown was good, but this fake fight was better" but looking at that card it's probably that Smackdown was very bad and even the crappy worked shoot was better than all but Eddie Guerrero v Charlie Haas.

Any reason why Nick Diaz never came back that we know of?

Also as usual the Pride show a week earlier was completely loving stacked lol.