Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm working from home today and have been watching Iron chef on Pluto TV for the last 3.5 hours thanks to this thread. I loved this show as a kid, it's even better now because I'd actually eat the dishes they create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

precision posted:

i still want to get some big interview with the people who did the translation and the english dub, because holy crap is that some high level work that even major video games don't get right

I've been pretty shocked rewatching this and realizing how solid it is. I think it helps that you rarely see anyone on screen talking and, even when you do, there's no effort to try and match the dub to people's mouth movements, so you can just straight translate what they're saying.

The one downside is that some Japanese jokes or puns are translated literally, so they make no sense to us. Like the secret ingredient is octopus, and one judge asks if they might make "octopus tacos" and everyone starts laughing like crazy. Well it's because in Japanese he asked if they'd make "tako tacos", so it's a play on words.