Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Fable is perhaps the most quintessentially British game ever made, and one of the more iconic RPGs to come out of the early 2000s. The flagship title of Lionhead Studios, Fable was intended to be something of a revolutionary title, with the developers promising a wide array of features, ranging from trees that would grow as you played to having children that would factor into the story of the game. But while Fable would be a perfectly good game, it fell well short of its promises, with Peter Molyneux making a public apology over the lack of the aforementioned features.

I played Fable years ago and it quickly became one of my favourites. I remember playing many times, just trying to see if I could get small differences in my experience. What I am going to play for you guys is not the Fable I remember but the Anniversary release which among other changes drastically changed the graphics. I will also be playing on “Chicken” difficulty, because for starters it’s self-described as “how the game was originally played” and I found the new, ‘higher’ difficulty level to be more tedious than genuinely difficult, and no one wants to watch tedious gameplay.

Normally I would have a first gameplay update to drop alongside the OP, but Fable is all about choice (in the purely binary sense). There’s countless choices to make, big and small, and rather than stopping to vote on every last one of them, it is more expedient for me to have us pick a general game plan and play it out for you guys. Hence, I would like to ask you all to vote on what you would prefer the hero of our story to be;

A) Be a Good Guy™. We will literally be the Messiah, and we will never be a naughty boy.
B) Be a Bad Guy™. We will be a bastard. A real bastard. Trouble is what we’ll be.
C) Play to win. Who needs moral choices when we can have cool rewards? We will be a saint or a psychopath as we please.

Table of Contents

Update 1 - Humble British Beginnings
Update 2 - My Hero Academia
Update 3 - From Bowerstone Town to Hobbe Cave
Update 4 - Saint and Sinner
Update 5 - The Orchards and the bees
Update 6 - Old Places, New Quests
Update 7 - Bandits and Sex
Update 8 - Island Vacation
Update 9 - Family Fun at the Arena
Update 10 - Mayorriage
Update 11 - Mad Miscellany
Update 12 - Prison Break
Update 13 - Plot Hook
Update 14 - Crossing Blades with Jack
Update 15 - New Old Beginnings
Update 16 - Lore Dump
Update 17 - How to Kill Friends and Alienate People
Update 18 - Fabled End

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
C. Let there be minmaxing and callous exploitation of the people and their quests.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
C

The concerns of heroism and villainy are second to amassing cool poo poo

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

C

Gonna be an SSLP like your others?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

C

Gonna be an SSLP like your others?

Indeed, with videos of important bits as usual.

Got a nice new laptop now so it will hopefully all come out looking better than before.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
C

we have no cogent moral compass, only powerlust

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

C seems like the best option for content.

I always really liked the Fable series. The first game came out before I started actively keeping up with video game news and my way of finding out about new releases was seeing them on the shelves of Hollywood Video, so all the features that were promised but never made it in didn't factor into my enjoyment at all. I also think it was the first time I was exposed to the idea of a morality system in a video game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Odd Wilson posted:

C

The concerns of heroism and villainy are second to amassing cool poo poo

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

serefin99 posted:

I always really liked the Fable series. The first game came out before I started actively keeping up with video game news and my way of finding out about new releases was seeing them on the shelves of Hollywood Video, so all the features that were promised but never made it in didn't factor into my enjoyment at all. I also think it was the first time I was exposed to the idea of a morality system in a video game.

I wasn't very into games news at the time either, so I was just blissfully unaware of all the promises Molyneux oversold on until that one god game he did crashed for the same reason many years later. I didn't even discover the series until Fable 3, so I got to experience it going backwards and seeing the sharp changes between the games.

Fun games though, can't deny.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm generally not a fan of western games, but I adore Fable 1 and 3. Just a ton of fun and I'm seriously sad the series died.
Though there are rumors of a Fable 4.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MythosDragon posted:

I'm generally not a fan of western games, but I adore Fable 1 and 3. Just a ton of fun and I'm seriously sad the series died.
Though there are rumors of a Fable 4.

I mostly love the Fable series because its a very British game and features actual regional accents from here, it's much nicer than hearing Americans say "Cor blimey innit".

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Right, the vote is unanimous for C, so I'm gonna call it here. First update will be put together in due time.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 1 – Humble British Beginnings

Brief technical note, but you may notice that the top of the screen seems cut off in some screenshots and videos. Having a bit of trouble getting used to OBS Studio. Should be fixed in future updates, but nothing serious was affected so it shouldn’t matter for this update.

The thread unanimously voted for option C, so we’ll be doing everything we can to earn an in-game advantage, regardless of morality.

Without further ado, let’s jump into the game…

Click here to see the intro for yourself.

Now playing – Main Theme (at least in part)

We start with a video intro that explains who we’ll be playing as and gives us a general idea of what the game’s about.

Narrator: “A boy dreaming of greatness. Of one day being a Hero.”

Narrator: “But in all his dreams of greatness he could not possibly imagine the power of the destiny that lay before him.”

Now Playing – Oakvale

“Well, let it wander off to find your sister, will you? She’s out playing by the Barrow Fields gate. Remember, you haven’t given her a birthday present yet.”

“Hmm, I tell you what, I’ll give you a gold piece for each good geed you do around Oakvale. That should be enough to buy her a present. Now get moving, and stay out of trouble.”

Now we can finally play the game. This is a big tutorial segment, so I won’t bore you with all the technical messages we’re getting. Let’s just get stuck in to the gameplay.

What shall our first act be? Running off and doing good deeds to earn our coin?

How about punching dear old dad instead?

“You need to watch that temper, lad, or you’ll get yourself in trouble!”

You can punch absolutely anyone during this tutorial segment, and everyone has a little cutscene reaction, even the most generic NPCs.

Click here for a compilation of attacking random people!

Our own house is the only house in town we can go inside. We can click on various objects, but they are mostly banal, like finding dad’s clothes or linens or what have you. This one, however, gives us some interesting content…

Sister’s Diary: ‘Harvest, Day 15 – Mother is away again. She never tells us where. I think father is a little sad when she goes.

Harvest, Day 18 – I had that nightmare again last night. There’s a big room, and right in the middle of it there’s a big swooshing light that feels like it’s going to suck me in. I still couldn’t see what was in the middle of it. I don’t think I ever want to.

Harvest, Day 19 – I had another dream. I was opening birthday presents and I was so happy. Then something happened, and it was so horrible it woke me up. I think that part was only a dream though.

Harvest, Day 21 – It’s my birthday today! I bet my brother forgets again, but at least mother will be back. I got up early to look out over the sea, and now I’m going to play in the top field.’

Ominous dreams about her birthday that happens to be today? Couldn’t possibly be relevant, right?

Anyway, let’s finally get around to earning our coin, shall we?

This little girl is not far from where we start, and highlighted green when we get near her. That is Fable’s code for someone significant, usually with a quest.

Little Girl: “Her stuffing needs changing today and I can’t find her! Please help! She’s a lovely little furry bear with a blue patch on her back.”

Finding a little girl’s teddy bear? Surely a good deed our father would approve of!

But let’s keep exploring for now.

Behind this house, we find a man and woman engaging in improper behaviour.

Cheating Man: “Look, sonny. Keep your mouth shut about this, right? My wife’s at home with our little ones and I’m supposed to be working. But a man should be entitled to do what he likes, don’t you think? Tell you what, if you keep this little secret, I’ll give you a gold piece.”

Our first moral dilemma. Accept the bribe, or keep our hands clean? As the tooltip suggests, people will know about this, despite it happening with no other witnesses besides the compromised parties.

As we decided to be a munchkin, we’re going to accept the bribe. While daddy promised rewards for good deeds, refusing the bribe does not count, so accepting is the only way to get paid.

Cheating Man: “My advice to you, don’t get tied down to one woman. Look after yourself. Forget everyone else!”

The game makes it very clear when we commit bad deeds.

No matter where you are or what you do, daddy immediately knows about your bad deeds and chastises you if talked to.

“What will your mother say? Pack it in!”

Additionally, the guards will apprehend us, although the only consequence is enduring their ranting for a bit.

Guard: “I’ve heard reports that you’ve being doing bad deeds.”

Every time you’re caught, they will announce your crimes to date. The one above is for assaulting people. We also get “Accessory to Improper Man and Lady Behaviour” for accepting the cheating man’s bribe.

Guard: “That sort of behaviour is not acceptable! If you were older, you’d be apprehended and fined by the Town Guards. You need to decide if behaving like that is worth it, my young friend. I’ll leave it at that for now, but think about what I’ve said.”

Moving on, we find the wife of the cheating man.

Angry Wife: “With some woman, I don’t doubt! I run his house, bring up his children, and what do I get in return? Nothing! If you find him, let me know, won’t you?”

Dad considers it a good deed to report the cheating man. We were bribed not to rat him out, but we won’t get any more coins for honouring our word, so we dob him in.

Angry Wife: “You have? Right, I’m going to turn him into Balverine food! Thank you, young sir, for telling me.”

The game is equally clear about good deeds.

The wife runs off to her husband’s location, shouting “WAIT TILL I GET MY HANDS ON THAT PIG!”.

She confronts him as his mistress runs off. She will stand here lambasting him until the end of this sequence.

He reacts differently if we didn’t take his bribe, of course.

Trader: “Some little girl I saw said that you have a sister, and it’s her birthday.”

This trader has spent an odd amount of effort talking to children and identifying other children…

Trader: “And it seems you haven’t got her a present yet. It just so happens that I have a rather nice box of sweets here. Guaranteed to put a smile on any sister’s face, for only three gold pieces.”

This is where we need to go to get our birthday present and escape the prologue. As we don’t have the funds, this isn’t an option just yet.

In the eastern part of the village, we find a large boy harassing a smaller one.

Bully: “He was irritating me, playing with my sister and her stupid teddy bear. Now he won’t give it to me, just because I said I’d rip its stupid head off. I told him, if he doesn’t go what I say, I’m going to make his life a misery.”

Little Boy: “He goes around the town beating up anyone smaller than him. But you look strong. I bet you could scare him off for good!”

Naturally, this is something of a moral dilemma. One option is to beat up the bully and do a good deed, but we could also coerce the little boy into giving us the teddy bear. The bully would then reward us if we give him the bear.

However, we are going to be a good person for now.

Attacking the bully plays out differently from all the others we could attack thus far. He has a health bar that we must wear down in order to prevent his bullying ways. No matter how much we hit him, the bully will not fight back, only yelling about how we’re hurting him.

He runs off.

Little Boy: “Here, I’ll let you look after Rosie, she’ll be safe with you!”

We acquire the teddy bear as an item. Naturally, this is the one that the little girl from earlier wanted.

Little Girl: “Come on, Rosie, let’s change your stuffing…”

Between beating up the bully and returning the teddy bear, we’ve done two good deeds, the equivalent of two gold pieces.

Another way to go about this is to attack the little boy, get the bear, give it to the bully, then beat the bully up. This way you get a gold piece from the bully and a gold piece from your dad. However, as the bully destroys the bear upon taking it, you can no longer return it to the girl, meaning it’s the same amount of coin, no matter what you do.

It is generally better in this game to have a good reputation, as it will translate to rewards further down the line. Hence, where you can get the same reward for being good, it is better to be good.

Incidentally, giving the bear to the bully is a “crime” the guards dub “Giving of a Teddy Bear To Someone Likely To Rip Off Its Head”.

Upon entering the southern end of town, this man will immediately accost you for a cutscene.

Warehouse Man: “I’ve got to…er, you know, answer a call of nature. Stay here and watch this stock for me, there’s a good lad. Just stand between those two stacks and don’t move! I’ll put a good word in for you when I get back. Right – won’t be long!”

We are teleported to the right spot. The hourglass represents the amount of time until the man returns.

Obnoxious Kid: “Quick! While he’s away, smash his barrels up and see what’s inside! Unless you’re too scared. Unless you’re just a big blubbing girl!”

Here is our current moral dilemma; do as we were asked and guard the area, or run off and break barrels for stuff inside?

As we are min maxing every scenario, we are going to do both!

As we smash the barrels, we come across this beetle inside one. These are a type of enemy, but they’re easily killed. Once I tried to let them attack me, and it just dropped dead. Not sure if it was a glitch or they’re programmed to never be able to kill you.

The gold containing barrel is randomised, I believe to be the last one you search. Once we’re done, we have just enough time to go stand in front of the crates again.

The warehouse man does not realise we’ve destroyed all his stuff and rewards us with a good deed.

Destroying the barrels has the guards call us out for "Destruction of a Person's Vendibles”. If we had not been present when the man returned, they would have us up for “Dereliction of Sentry Duty Despite Being Asked Nicely”.

“But if you think that I’ll turn a blind eye to your mischief, you’re very wrong! Look, try to keep out of trouble, please. For me.”

Naturally, dad is much happier if you do nothing but good deeds, but that would mean less coin. As it is, we did four good deeds and got four coins, coming up to a total of six after doing bad deeds too.

“Well, I think you may have enough there, son. Have you spoken to the Trader?”

We have double the amount we need to purchase the chocolates now. In the scheme of things, the paltry sum we’ve made during this tutorial won’t matter much, but it’s a nice demonstration of how you can game the system for more reward.

Now we just have to find our sister. We have more than enough clues to tell us where she is, let alone the big green dot that gives away the location of important people on the map.

Some NPCs have their names displayed over their heads when you get near them. Our father, for instance, is named “Brom”, and our sister is “Theresa”.

Theresa: “I hope you haven’t forgotten what day it is, like you did last year.”

Theresa: “I was standing in this field when something happened, but I can’t remember what. Never mind that though. I’m still waiting for my present!”

We immediately get a prompt to give our sister the chocolates we bought. We can say “no”, but nothing will happen until we give her our present. If you’re wondering, it is possible to try and give her Rosie the teddy bear, but she’ll just refuse it and asks for something “sweet”.

Theresa: “Come on, let’s go home. Mother will be back for my party any minute now!”

So it’s all turning out like her dream. We read about it, remember? How did it turn out again?

Click here for the prologue’s conclusion.

Offscreen Man: “Bandits!”

Now Playing – Arena

Our Hero hides behind this pathetic little fence that anyone could see him through easily (if you’re wondering, Theresa just sort of runs off somewhere during the cutscene). He then watches as the bandits attack.

This cutscene ends, and one more like the intro begins.

Narrator: “Blood-red flames lit the night as the villagers screamed and begged for mercy, and soon their bodies filled the streets. Then the raiders reach the last house, where the boy and his family lived. It was them they had slaughtered so many to find.”

Narrator: “The bandits ripped the house apart, but could not find the boy. Through torture and threats his mother and sister remained silent, and their furious attackers took them both.”

To think Theresa would be safe if she had only hidden behind our pathetically small fence.

Narrator: “He was alone.”

Now Playing – Hobbes Cave

We are deposited where we were just before, only now we are surrounded by death and flames.

We are free to move around, but there’s only one path forward, and it leads back to our house.

An aggressive scream is heard.

“They’re all dead. You don’t want to join them, do you? Then give me your hand.”

Our mysterious saviour teleports us out of Oakvale.

Join me next time, where we find out where we’re going and what we’ll do next.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ah, yes, taking a bribe then immediately selling the briber out. The young lad is on a perfect track to success already :getin:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh sweet! An SSLP, and a min-max game! Love it!

I've started playing Fable a number of times, but gave up half-way while trying to open those door-thingies. And I'd want to be purely good, and that never worked out.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 2 – My Hero Academia

Last update, we were whisked away from our doomed hometown by a mysterious saviour.

Now let’s see where we end up….

An addition to the Anniversary Edition is these loading screens that demonstrate where we’re going on the map. So we learn we’ve been taken to somewhere called “Lookout Point”.

Click here to see our arrival for yourself.

“There’s nothing left for you in Oakvale. And if you’d stayed, you’d be as dead as the rest of them.”

“And if it’s vengeance you want, you’ll need the training only we can offer.”

We transition inside.

Now Playing – The Guild

“Put him in the dorm upstairs with the girl.”

The Guildmaster does the narration for the picture scenes, as you can tell from his voice.

“Well, follow me then.”

We go upstairs with the Guildmaster.

“She’s playing in the Woods right now, but you’ll meet her in the morning.”

Note that we came here in the dead of night and they’re letting this girl go out to the woods to “play”.

“For now you should get some sleep. Your training starts tomorrow.”

The Guildmaster leaves and our Hero cries himself to sleep.

We get a brief transition from night to day, and then…

“You must be my room-mate. Hmm. Shorter than I expected. My name’s Whisper. I’ve been here for a month. Had the room to myself ‘til now too. But that’s all right. You know you talk in your sleep? Sounded like a bad nightmare. Happens to a lot the first week. Some don’t even last that long. You won’t either if you don’t get moving. The Guildmaster is waiting for us in the Map Room. You don’t want to be late on your first day. Follow me!”

We follow Whisper out of the room, back to the place we first met the Guildmaster.

“He’s probably at the training grounds across the river. Let’s go!”

We are now free to explore the Guild. Whisper will follow us for the time being, offering commentary on different parts.

We can immediately start looting the Guild for whatever we can grab. The books in the library are fair game. We want as many of these as we can for the sake of a side quest.

It was only on the day of recording this that I actually learned that hitting “info” lets you read the books yourself. Although it’s a somewhat annoying feature as you can’t read the book at your own pace, instead being forced to wait for it to scroll through the text slowly.

We can’t leave yet, but Whisper has a comment on the front door.

“The Guild front door. Can you imagine what it will be like when we’re ready to leave?”

Now Playing – Summer Fields

As Whisper informs us, these are the “Servants Quarters”. Those wooden slat things you see are their beds. These poor blighters need a better union.

As you can see, that one lady is highlighted green, meaning she has a quest for us.

Servant: “But I can’t find any more red apples. I only need another four. If you find enough can you bring them back here. I’ll reward you.”

We get a prompt to refuse or not, but there’s no point. Finding this lady’s apples is piss easy, as they’re scattered on the ground not far from the servant’s quarters. Really makes you wonder.

There’s actually more than four apples to be gotten, but as they sell for 1 gold piece a pop, it’s not really worth getting them all.

Our reward for turning in the apples is a Blueberry Pie. Food items restore health in small bits, so it can be helpful to have them. Although they’ll soon be redundant once you have more than enough health potions.

You can go into the Guild Woods any time you want, but there’s nothing to do there until they give you a reason to go in.

Clicking on this conspicuous chest introduces us to the concept of silver keys. They’re this game’s biggest collectible. They’re easy to find if you know what to look for, and they pay out some really overpowered gear.

“Only a light will reveal it. And You are not bright enough.”

This is a Demon Door, as the game tells us. They give you small challenges in order to open them up. Not all are riddles like this one.

Some Demon Doors guard some hilariously overpowered treasures, especially compared to when they can be achieved. You’ll see what I mean when we get there.

There’s a cluster of graves in the centre of the guild that you can find. Like the one above, they tell you stories of dead Heroes who we’re really cool. Such as;

“Here are buried the remains of Solcius, the legendary mage who sacrificed his own life while performing his greatest spell, closing a vortex that threatened to engulf Bowerstone.”

“Here rests the body of Holdr, the great warrior who tamed the last dragon seen in Albion and rode it into countless battles. As Commander of the Dragon Knights, he kept watch over all men and women of the Southern Lands.”

The last one is empty, “awaiting a Hero worthy of it”.

These two apprentices are bickering over who’s the fastest runner in the Guild. The green highlighted one gives us a quest.

Fastest Apprentice: “I ran to the Demon Door and back in 50 seconds. Beat that!”

We get a prompt to try for ourselves. The moment we accept the timer starts ticking down, so it’s good to be ready.

I used to find this running sidequest so difficult back in the day, but now I usually get it done in one go.

We get 25 gold for winning. Not much in the scheme of things.

You can actually make the sidequest easier by punching the apprentice until he is closer to the Demon Door. You’ll have to deal with a certain annoying cutscene I’ll mention later, but it is entirely possible to punch him as close to the door as you want. He will never return to his original position.

Their bickering will now change to the second fastest apprentice lamenting his defeat as the other guy laughs at him.

Talking to the second fastest gives at the opportunity to boast. If we do so, he says;

Second Fastest Apprentice: “Big deal. Running’s for idiots anyway.”

And if we don’t:

Second Fastest Apprentice: “Leave me alone, will you?”

That’s about all we can get out of him, so we move on.

Entering Maze’s room triggers this scene. This was an addition to “The Lost Chapters”, an expansion to the original game. It hints at content we won’t see for some time.

Click here to witness this mysterious man for yourself.

“How can you be so sure? We might need you here. Who knows what battles we might face.”

“The signs are too strong to ignore, and the Northern Wastes have been too long isolated from the Guild. There is much I may learn there.”

“Well, I hope nobody thinks you’re running away from a fight, trying to cheat death again. You know how people talk…”

“May death close his eyes to you, Maze.”

He teleports out of the room.

“He’s just a shell now. What does he know of the choices we have to make, of what it takes to get things done?”

The scene ends there. Maze will otherwise just tell us to go talk to the Guildmaster.

Before we continue, I imagine there’s one burning question that you have; can we punch everyone?

Of course we can, but unlike in Oakvale, not everyone has a unique reaction. Whisper, for instance, does not get a unique cutscene if you punch her. However, whenever you hit people at the Guild during this sequence, you will receive a response from the Guildmaster, even if he’s not there to see it. The first time you hit someone, he says;

“Aggressive actions are not tolerated within the Guild. Stop right now.”

Then;

“Action will be taken if you continue to flout the rules!”

Finally;

“This is your final warning!”

Upon a fourth punch, we get sent to “detention”.

Click here to see the punishment for violence.

I believe Maze has a set of randomly selected lines to rant at you with, like “Haven’t you been listening to me!?” or “Another incident like that and you’ll be very sorry!”. Eventually he dismisses you and you can go on punching people. No matter how many times you do it, your only punishment is Maze ranting at you to stop.

Maze is the sole person with a unique reaction to getting punched during this segment. Everyone else triggers the Guildmaster’s dialogue, including the Guildmaster himself.

Speaking of the Guildmaster, let’s FINALLY go talk to him.

“Ah, you've finally prized yourself from your pillow I see. Oh, then come on then, let’s see what you’re capable of.”

“Just keep going ‘til I tell you to stop.”

This serves as a tutorial for attacking if you hadn’t figured it out already. Naturally I’ve spent plenty of time attacking things thus far.

“Here, try with this.”

With the mighty stick on our side, we completely destroy the practise dummy.

“When you destroy an enemy like this dummy, it drops an experience orb. These orbs contain the knowledge gained from killing the creature. It’s very important that you collect these orbs, or you won’t learn anything! Now pick it up.”

What the Guildmaster neglects to mention is that there’s another way to earn experience; by using one of the three Hero disciplines directly. They’ll be elaborated on soon, but for now I’ll tell you there’s Melee, Ranged, and Will. Using any of these gives you experience points exclusive to that discipline, so for instance punching people gives us Melee experience. You’ll never get as much experience as the generic green experience orbs give, but they’re still pretty useful.

The sound of a bell is heard.

“That’s the Guild alarm! Sounds like there might be something loose in the Woods. This is a good opportunity to test your spirit. I’ll wait for you at the Guild Woods entrance while you deal with the problem. Once you’re done, we can talk about starting your training.”

Compared to the side questy stuff we’ve done thus far, this is what the game considers a real quest. Quests essentially put you in a sort of “instance” where the game world will change to suit the quest. You can’t just walk away without satisfying the requirements of the quest, at least without failing it. This system will be a bit more relevant once we leave the tutorial.

Now Playing – Danger

Inside the Guild Woods, 10 beetles have now spawned, which we need to slay. I remember in the original Fable, the Guildmaster would urge you to use your stick if you insisted on punching them instead. It’s easy to win with your fists anyway. I tried standing still and letting the beetles attack me, but even when they did appear to attack, I didn’t get hit.

“Well done, lad! The beetles are all dead. You can come out of the woods now.”

Such a nuisance even a child can kill them.

“Here. I think you’ve earned yourself some pocket money for that. If you want more gold, I’m sure the servants could use your help with something. Or you could get an early night.”

We get a prompt on whether to continue or not. Note that he mentions the servants giving us gold, but the only reward for doing that one servant quest is a Blueberry Pie. Anyway, we have nothing left to do…

Click here for the following scene.

“His days were filled with gruelling exercises. The nights with study in the library.”

“The real training was about to begin.”

“We were supposed to meet the Guildmaster on the other side of the river.”

“We better get going. Race you there!”

Whisper will indeed race us, but there’s no meaning in winning or losing.

Still, we’d rather win than lose, wouldn’t we?

“Late again? You do seem to have a problem getting up, lad.”

“Get used to the weight of this sword, and let’s see if you can hit Whisper with it.”

Whisper will block every attack, but that’s fine, as we just need our blows to connect seven times.

We can actually hurt her by using a “flourish”. When our sword glows like above (usually achieved by smacking into enemy’s blocks for a bit), we can hit the right mouse button to perform an attack that will break through blocks. It doesn’t really matter here, but every attack that lands gets us a small amount of Melee experience.

“The life of a Hero is a dangerous one, and you must learn to block your enemies’ attacks if you expect to live long. Whisper will try to hit you, but you can block her attacks with your sword. Not all blows can be blocked, but you should be able to handle anything Whisper can throw at you.”

Just like before, we have to block a certain number of hits to move on. We can also attack Whisper and keep getting experience, but we won’t go anywhere until we block enough. You can let Whisper hit you, but the Guildmaster will heal you if your health gets too low.

“You could say that. Whisper told me you’ve got her training with some farmboy.”

“Maze thinks the boy has great potential.”

“Enough to keep up with my Whisper? Bah!”

“Well, why don’t we see? Whisper and the boy are just working on their melee skills now. All right, children, let’s see who has learnt the most in their training. This will be a no holds barred duel, just like your final melee test. Prepare yourselves.”

This is essentially like the blocking segment, only you need to whittle down Whisper’s health in order to win. It is pathetically easy to beat her. Even when I deliberately lost, she was very timid with her attacks, to the point I thought it wasn’t actually possible to lose.

Regardless, if you win…

“Keep training if you want to go there yourself one day.”

“We have few enough Heroes as it is, without the two of you tearing each other apart in training. Speaking of which, meet me as I make my way to the archery range when you’re ready to continue your lessons. Oh, and about your melee performance…”

Naturally he has different reactions depending on how well you did. The above reaction can be gotten even if you take a hit, so it’s not a high bar.

”If you lose” posted:

The cutscene is mostly the same, although Whisper’s line will change to saying she could have “finished” you if the Guildmaster didn’t stop them.

You can repeat your melee training if you want. It may be worth it if you somehow failed miserably against Whisper and are feeling salty. We move on.

“Then meet me by the archery range to continue your training.”

However, before we continue our training, we have unlocked something new by completing our melee training.

This is the exam the Guildmaster mentioned. As the man says, he has a special prize if we get an A+ grade.

Just like before, it’s easy to beat Whisper.

I just love how savage this guy is to Whisper. Every time you pass by this guy after getting an A+ he’ll say “You really showed Whisper”, as if just to rub it in her face.

Katanas in Fable 1 are essentially slightly better swords compared to the generic longswords.

“To begin with, see if you can hit the three stationary targets. And put some effort into it. The longer you pull back your bow string, the more damage you will cause. But make sure you stay within the circle.”

With archery, you can either use the lockon function like with melee, or you can press the right mouse button once you’ve nocked an arrow to zoom in and fire freestyle. Firing freestyle enables you to aim for the head, and headshots indeed do more damage in Fable 1. When we meet real enemies, we’ll be able to take their heads clean off.

“Unfortunately most foes don’t stand still, so let’s see how you fare against moving targets. You have a minute to score as many points as you can. The front target is worth one point, the middle is worth three, and the one at the back will score you nine points. And remember, the longer you pull back your bow string, the more damage the shot will cause. More damage means more points, but you have to balance power, firing rate and accuracy. Let’s see what you can do.”

Personally, I find it easiest to just focus on firing on one point on the line, where most of the targets end up and are easiest to hit. You can get a stupid amount of points doing this if you get the timing down pat.

“Next we will learn about the ways of the Will. Speak to me when you’re ready to continue with your training. I’ll be heading to the island by the waterfalls.”

But as before, new content has been unlocked.

An exam just like the melee one but for archery.

My final score is 267. You can definitely get better, but I’m still 100 points over the threshold for an A+.

Crossbows are more powerful than regular bows, but take longer to load, as one might expect.

This quest unlocks once we get a bow. He will pay us for killing sparrows. It is considered an evil option because the sparrows are harmless, defenceless creatures, but we’re in it for the money.

There’s seven sparrows total. They can be a real bitch to hit. Locking on won’t cut it as your arrows will just arc over them, so you have to use the freestyle aiming to get a hit most of the time. I swear the regular bow is more accurate too, so it might be better to use it than the crossbow.

You get 5 gold for every kill, and the bonus is 20, for a total of 55.

“All right, let’s see what you’ve got.”

“That’s it. See how many you can hit in half a minute. Only attack dummies that are facing the centre of the island. You won’t get any points for hitting one on the back, you will only waste valuable mana. Using your will powers depletes your mana, and once used it takes time to replenish.”

What he means is the targets will go into a sort of “recovery frame” where they can’t be instantly hit again. Hence you can’t just sit there striking the same target over and over again.

The trick is to use the auto target function, which will hit all three nearby targets in swift succession. Then you just wait for them to “recover”, and then do it again. You will easily earn an A+ rank that way.

“Very good, lad. You have learnt the three Hero disciplines. We can now move on to your final test if you’re ready, or you can spend some more time exploring the Guild. I believe Whisper is about to go into the Guild Woods if you wish to join her.”

I find the phrasing of “playing” with Whisper so goofy. Like you’re small children on a playdate.

Anyway, we both want to play and complete our Will exam, so yeah.

Will potions naturally restore your Will bar when used. Resurrection Phials let you revive upon dying, avoiding a game over. Of course, since there’s nothing stopping you from reloading, it’s not that much of an inconvenience to get a game over in this game to begin with.

If we were playing on Heroic difficulty, there would be no resurrection phials.

Now let’s go ‘play’ with Whisper.

“Wait! Did you hear that? It’s coming from over there.”

“I know. Why don’t you use your bow, or some of that lightning the Guildmaster taught you? I’ll heal you if you get hurt.”

As you can see, the bandits will quickly take cover once you can move. They’re not remotely hard to beat, even considering Whisper will automatically heal you if you get beat up.

“Wait till the Guildmaster hears about this!”

Whisper then runs out of the woods. There’s no follow up on this, so there’s nothing left to do but progress to “adulthood”.

Click here for our transition to the next phase.

“For years the Guild was his home, his school and his life. But as time passed, his thoughts returned always to the world outside. The life he had lost. The family that had been torn from him. At last, only the final day of tests remained. Success would mark the end of his training. He would receive the Guild Seal and be free to forge his own destiny.”

A pity we don’t get any of that armour we see in this scene.

“Enter the Guild Woods and go to the log at the top of the hill. The test will be revealed to you there. Good luck.”

Upon entering the Guild Woods, Maze teleports in.

“It’s simple. You must defeat me, using all you have learnt in your years of training. We’ll begin with your sword. Hit me, if you can.”

Maze says we have to beat him, but he won’t actively fight back. All he’ll do is teleport around to frustrate you.

We can hit him with other weapons, but we can’t proceed until we do as he asks. He will protest your use of other abilities but not much else.

Casting lightning at him will cause him to shoot it back for minor damage.

The next segment calls for shooting him with our bow. If we try to melee him here, he uses a Will ability to push us back.

The final segment has us shoot lightning at him as you might expect. All in all, it’s a very banal final test. Fighting Whisper was harder.

“You’ll find real battles rather more fatal than this. But you have passed your final test, and you are ready to receive your Guild Seal from the Guildmaster.”

He then teleports out, and we’re free to leave.

“I remember the first night you came to us. And look at you now. Maze’s faith in you was well placed. Now come along. The graduation ceremony will take place in the Chamber of Fate, the oldest part of the Guild.”

Click here for the graduation ceremony.

Now Playing – Main Theme

Whisper is here, despite her shameful performance in our melee exam.

“Today that apprenticeship ends and you go out into the world to do great deeds. Deeds that will bring you the gratitude of thousands.”

Note we can see some frescos behind us. One is the first one we saw in this update. The other we haven’t seen.

“These are dark times. The shadows of Albion are stirring, and strange winds are blowing. Your choices, whether they lead you down the path of good or evil, will change the face of the world.”

“But you are still very much part of the Guild.”

“And you’ll need to return often to focus all your experience into new skills. Only by doing this regularly will you advance as a Hero. Step into the light and I’ll show you how to do this…”

He of course means the green glowing thing we saw earlier.

This is where we spend our experience to make ourselves stronger. You can either spend green general experience on whatever you want or spend discipline specific experience on any ability in that discipline. For instance, we could spend melee experience to get a level of Physique as pictured above.

For now we have barely anything to work with, so I buy a level of physique and go.

“And your Guild Seal will allow me to communicate with you at all times. You also will notice it flashing when you have enough experience to spend. I have given you a basic pack of supplies, it’ll be enough for a while. Now there’s a whole world for you to explore.”

Thus marks the end of the tutorial. As the Guildmaster said, there’s a whole world for us to explore, although that will have to wait for another update. This one is long enough as is.

For now, I’d like to propose another vote; what would you prefer to see, going forward?

A) Jump right into the main quests. We’ll do them the way the game expects you to and get our feet wet with some content.

B) Go exploring and sidequesting. We’ll do everything we can that isn’t the main quests, and probably come back to them ridiculously overpowered.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B) Exploring and sidequesting. Putting off the main quest for as long as feasibly possible is the sacred way of things. Hopefully we'll get plenty rich too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The remaster really rubbed me the wrong way with how a lot worked so it'll be nice to see someone else play it instead lol. I've always loved Fable 1 and 2, before the whole thing fell off a cliff

Anyway, B. go exploring! It's the easiest way to snap the game in half anyway

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

B. Explore

If you don't run off and do every sidequest you can the very moment you can, are you even playing properly?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
If we want maximum loot and profit, then why not go B. Sidequesting?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, having not played fable before the Heroes guild seems completely crazy. Judging by that graduation speech, they don't really seem to care what you use your newfound magical and martial prowess for? It seems like they just train kids into warriors for the hell of it?

Anyways I'm also voting for B. This is exactly the kind of game you gently caress around at every opportunity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arzaac posted:

Man, having not played fable before the Heroes guild seems completely crazy. Judging by that graduation speech, they don't really seem to care what you use your newfound magical and martial prowess for? It seems like they just train kids into warriors for the hell of it?

Anyways I'm also voting for B. This is exactly the kind of game you gently caress around at every opportunity.

The definition of "Hero" in Fable is meant in the classical sense

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

B We might find overpowered weapons or magic, and this IS the min/max get money playthrough.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, this is a lore thing that will be made more clear later on.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm going to go against the trend and suggest doing a few of the main quests to get our feet wet. I think they introduce a few mechanics? Including farting? Which is a thing in this game for some reason?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
This is a theme throughout all of Peter Molyneux's games and it really bugs me. He makes a big deal of how the struggle between good and evil is a major theme, but then only engages with it in a completely superficial way. Frickin' Undertale, a game written by a two-person team, did a better job of exploring good and evil than a game with an entire studio behind it.

And sure, not every game has to be literary, just like how not every game has to have decent graphics. But if you advertise your game on the quality of its graphics and it looks like rear end, you failed at your goal.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Joining everyone else in saying B, gently caress around filling our pockets for as long as possible

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I've only ever played Fable II, and I'm surprised it never came to the PC.

Anyway, Choice B. The main quest can wait for as long as it takes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

B. gently caress around

Were not touching the MQ until we can vaporize any thing in it with a thought

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Whybird posted:

This is a theme throughout all of Peter Molyneux's games and it really bugs me. He makes a big deal of how the struggle between good and evil is a major theme, but then only engages with it in a completely superficial way. Frickin' Undertale, a game written by a two-person team, did a better job of exploring good and evil than a game with an entire studio behind it.

And sure, not every game has to be literary, just like how not every game has to have decent graphics. But if you advertise your game on the quality of its graphics and it looks like rear end, you failed at your goal.

There are a lot of issues with Peter Molyneux, and most of them stem from his need to over-promise. I remember reading an article about him (like, in the last 5 years) in which someone from his studio complained that they would find out from his interviews that he'd entirely changed the scope of the games they were working on at the time.

He is, in the words of the Top Gear team, "ambitious, but rubbish".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

aargh what's wrong with your.... everything?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 3 – From Bowerstone Town to Hobbe Caves

We graduated from the Guild last update, and now we are free to roam the paths and byways of the land. As nearly everyone voted to explore, exploring is what we shall do.

Now Playing – Fresco Dome/Chamber of Fate

We are now free to enter the chamber where we graduated. We can look at the frescoes we’ve seen thus far as much as we like. However, you might notice one is missing from our graduation.

If you look at the hotkey bar there, you will notice number 2 is glowing. That’s the lamp we received from completing the tutorial. You can activate it wherever you want, and your character will have a healthy glow, illuminating your surroundings. However, it has a far greater use with this Demon Door, the one who said our “path is dark”.

Inside every Demon Door is a little worldspace that holds some kind of treasure. This one gives us an Elixir of Life, which increases our maximum health when used. This space also has a few books and other tidbits to pick up.

In the Guild Woods, we find this bloke, highlighted green.

Cyril: “My name’s Cyril. Me and some friends had a little party here the other night and I met this drop-dead gorgeous girl from Oakvale. Oh…Myra…I mean, she was a stunner…At least I think she was. But I also thought the trees around us were running around on little chocolate legs, if you see what I mean…Anyway, I really want to see her again. Well, probably. I mean, maybe it was just the mushrooms and she’s actually just an ugly stick victim. Even if she isn’t, what if she doesn’t like me? I’m going to take my chances all the same. Please, take this letter to her in Oakvale.”

Cyril: “I must know how she feels. The suspense is killing me! Oh, one more thing. Don’t try to pass the letter off as your own. I’ve spent weeks perfecting its sublime poetry.”

In case you were wondering, yes, he means the same Oakvale we grew up in. It has been rebuilt since the bandit raid, and we’ll see it when we get there. But first we must traipse through a great deal of territory.

This is Cyril’s sublime poetry. As we all know, women really love it when you comment on their “glorious buns”. Regardless, we will be delivering this letter in due time.

This is the contents of the map table. “Wasp Menace” is what we’re supposed to be doing right now, but are blowing off. Missions like this “Snow Troll Attack” are official sidequests, marked with a silver Guild Seal. We cannot take any of them due to a lack of renown.

These three quests we can see are just teasers by the game, meant to give the impression that there are quests happening besides yours. If we go on with the main quests, they vanish. If we blow off the main quest to get renown, they vanish. If you cheat to get the necessary renown to take them on the spot, they will be forcibly removed from your quest log. They cannot be taken.

Outside the Guild is Lookout Point, where Maze teleported us after Oakvale. This man here sells titles. Whatever title we buy, NPCs will have little comments about it, and it will be said on certain quests too.

The default title is “Chicken Chaser”. If you are not familiar with Fable, you will soon come to learn how funny the developers found chickens.

Further on, we find these two blokes having a tiff. The old man is talking about how he used to be a great Hero, while the beanie dude is mocking him for being a filthy hobo. You may recognise the beanie man as being akin to the bully from Oakvale. No, he didn’t survive, it’s just a repurposed character model. Fable will do this a bit.

We get a prompt to help the beggar. Saying yes or no doesn’t really matter here, as you can just do the opposite if you feel like it.

Beggar: “You must be able to get rid of him somehow. Anything’ll do. Use your imagination.”

Bully: “He really expects people to give him gold.”

We get a prompt to help the bully too. It also doesn’t matter.

As you can guess, this is a moral dilemma. Help the poor, innocent beggar or torment him for giggles. As neither side offers a reward, it’s all about morality points, and good points are better than bad.

This is our first proper introduction to the game’s “expressions”. We could have used these much earlier, even as a child, but now is when they become relevant. The two pictured above are belching and farting. Doing this to the bully causes him to complain and insist you do it to the beggar instead. Do it enough times and…

Beggar: “You’ve earned my thanks, Hero. I’m sure you’ll make many friends in your travels. Perhaps we’ll meet again, Hero.”

He leaves and the scene ends.

An alternative solution is to attack the party you want to offend. That will make them flee immediately and give a slightly different reaction.

We will never meet that beggar again, despite what he said. But he was once more significant than you might have expected.

There is a note that was cut from the game, from the Hero’s mother. It reads;

“Dearest husband, I hope that you are well. I shall be returning soon, as my work here is done. I thought I should send you this money so as to keep it safe. When I get back, I will take it to my brother, poor wreck that he has become. What harsh luck he has had ? crippled by a mere wasp sting! I hope this gift eases his troubles; he should no longer need to mope around that Lookout Point, pleading for money from the very Heroes he once fought alongside! Send my love to the children. With love, S.”

As you can see, it implies that the Lookout Point beggar is your character’s uncle. Regardless, we move on.

These thorny brambles will occasionally block the way to something important or useful.

In this case, the first of many Silver Keys.

This is the entrance to Bowerstone. Note the guard posted near the gate. There’s two of them around here, and they will react to you committing crimes in Lookout Point. Funnily enough, they will do nothing if you provoke the guards inside Bowerstone.

Now Playing – Bowerstone

Click here to see the introduction to Bowerstone.

Guard: “We have some rules around here that you need to know about. Bowerstone is a peaceful town – I will have to confiscate your weapons for now. There are shops, inns, lots of different people, games – all kinds of things. Why not pay the tavern a visit first? It’s the building in front of you, just up the road from here.”

Lady Grey gestures for this man to leave and departs for the gate seen in the background.

Guard: “Treat her with respect. She is the Mayor, after all. Have a look around and enjoy your stay in Bowerstone.”

As the guard mentioned, our weapons are taken in Bowerstone. Our Will powers are also disabled. The only way to attack is with our fists.

Attempting to follow Lady Grey prompts this guard to block our way. No, we cannot force our way past him, even if we provoke the entire town.

Incidentally, the part we’re in now is “Bowerstone South”, and the area Lady Grey went to is “Bowerstone North”.

Just like in Oakvale during our youth, punching barrels can reveal items we can snatch. It’s an evil act, but rewards are our goal above all else.

Those cellar doors you can see there can be interacted with. They’re locked, but will open after checking a statue in Lookout Point at midnight. All you get is a Leather Chest Piece, one of the lowest forms of armour, so it’s hardly worth the wait.

We begin the process of robbing everyone in town. It is apparently necessary to do this to get all the books in the game, which is necessary to complete a sidequest we’ll see soon.

Tattoos are a thing in Fable. You can get them put on you by a relevant merchant for a small fee. They typically change your character’s attractiveness and scariness stats. Attractiveness makes NPCs like you better, while scariness makes them intimidated by you. Having negative attractiveness makes them hate you while negative scariness makes them laugh at you.

The “Ages of” series of potions gives you experience in a specific discipline when used. This one is for melee experience. Imbibed immediately, they give you 1000 points, which isn’t terrible at the start of the game. However, it’s much better to use them when you have a high “combat multiplier”.

The combat multiplier is a measure that increases with each successive hit you make in combat. The higher it goes, the more experience you earn from any source, including these potions and certain food types. If you got a combat multiplier of 30, for instance (very hard to achieve), you would get 30000 experience from this potion instead of 1000.

Hairstyles work just like tattoos; you apply them at the right merchant, and they change your attractiveness and scariness stats. You can have a hairstyle, beard and moustache.

You might have already noticed, but Fable has a day/night cycle. As most houses and businesses are closed at night, this makes it hard to rob them without breaking in and alerting the guards. So I move on to another part of Bowerstone where opportunities await, called “Bowerstone Quay”.

Searching in a scarecrow (yes, a scarecrow) gets us this “crunchy chick”. They are an edible item, but their unique feature is giving you evil points upon consuming them. That’s because they’re actually alive, and you eat them alive. It’s actually pretty disturbing for an otherwise comical video game.

The most interesting feature of Bowerstone Quay is these fighting blokes. They only show up at night.

Rund: “It’s for people who like to mash each other’s brains out. And it’s a place where we hone our unarmed combat skills. It’s also drat good fun. Now, I’m the head of this Fist Figthers Gang. Those knuckles look plenty good to me. You’re in. You up for a bit of a scrap? If you want to join in some senseless brutality, it’ll cost you 50 gold. You’ll get gold for every round you win, and even more if you can avoid getting hit. Stay in the ring. And if you take too many hits you lose. So, you wanna fight or what? You might be a powerful Hero, but this is a contest of skill. Our punches might not hurt you much, but they still count.”

Finally, we get a prompt to join the fight. Naturally we accept.

Click here to see the big brawl for yourself.

As you can see, we now have a bar independent from our health bar. If that one depletes entirely, we lose. As Rund said, it doesn’t matter if we’ve become a Heroic god, because we’re only allowed to take so many hits in this fight.

Leaving the ring doesn’t immediately eliminate you. Instead, a timer starts, and the head fighter yells at you to get back in the ring. You can often exploit leaving the ring to your advantage and get behind a fighter. They usually have trouble blocking when you attack their back.

Once you’ve defeated all the regular fighters, the head fighter will get in the ring to fight you personally.

Defeating the head wins the whole tourney and gives you a certificate to show you won it. As you can guess, there’s other bareknuckle brawls to participate in elsewhere. You have to win this tier to fight in the others.

We get 300 gold for winning, and that’s without taking a hit.

Beardy Baldy: “She’s keen to meet strong, handsome men like you.”

We get a prompt on whether we want to meet his daughter. We accept.

Beardy Baldy: “Ah, that’s good news. I think she was starting to get a bit lonely. Thing is, she only likes men whose hair looks like the picture on this card.”

He gives us the same “Pudding Basin” hairstyle we robbed from a house earlier.

Beardy Baldy: “Maybe if you looked like that, she’d let me introduce you to her. Come and find me when you’re ready. I won’t be far away.”

So I’m just gonna go ahead and spoil this quest; Beardy Baldy here is full of poo poo. He just wants you to apply a series of bad haircuts at your own expense so he can laugh at you. Completing the quest his way will get you a paltry amount of experience and renown, and a “Fire Monkey” tattoo card. It’s not worth the effort, and I can only assume this quest is meant as a practical joke on the dev’s part as much as Baldy’s.

There’s an alternate method to complete this quest that involves doing something unexpected. All it accomplishes is having Baldy come clean earlier and he gives you the “Tramp Beard” card instead of the Fire Monkey tattoo. You still have to pay for a few haircuts and get no other reward.

A much more satisfying use for Beardy Baldy is as a punching bag. Bowerstone Quay has no guards, and those in South won’t recognise crimes committed here. Beardy is also immortal, so we can just wail on him as much as we please.

If you hit him with a flourish, Baldy will collapse into this stunned position, indicated by the swirling halo-like thing you can partially see by the Hero’s head above. You can just keep kicking the bastard while he’s down like this, eternally hearing his pathetic complaints.

Once I get bored of beating up Baldy, I return to Bowerstone South.

Inside the tavern, we can gamble with a bloke by playing “Card Pairs”, a staple of mini games throughout the industry.

Also in the tavern is this mercenary bloke. We can take him with us by paying him a repeating sum of money. There’s a few of these blokes, but you’ll never really need them. They do have one interesting use later on, but I’ll get to that when it’s necessary.

You can pay to use the beds in the tavern, which will allow you to transition between night and day. I use it so the houses open back up and I can get back to stealing things.

Unfortunately, I am caught in the act, giving me a bounty and causing the town to turn hostile. I flee to Lookout Point.

Crimes will be “forgiven” after a set period of time. The more crimes you commit, especially more severe ones, the more time it will take for them to be forgotten.

I use my downtime to check out the “Picnic Area”. We don’t know who Jack is or anything about this Bloody Harvest, but we’ll learn something later on.

The Picnic Area contains a variety of food items and other loot, so it’s worth visiting to pilfer it all.

Eventually the three minutes expires and I can waltz back into Bowerstone without a care in the world. I immediately return to thievery.

From the local general store, I purchase a fishing rod and a spade. Both of these items are necessary if you want to find all the Silver Keys.

Note that the price above is red. This is because I currently have an evil reputation (too much assault, you see). Evil characters have to pay more at stores, and good ones get discounts. That’s why I’ll generally pursue having good karma if I can help it.

Another factor in being mildly evil is my character is mocked and harassed by nearby villagers, as though he was a known neer-do-well. Doesn’t matter too much, and it will be corrected in due time.

I recover a second Silver Key from the balcony of the first store on the left in Bowerstone.

Gout: “Not that it’s much of a school these days, the way Lady Grey keeps slashing our funding. Can you believe she sold half our library? As if mansions were more important than the education of our children. Anyway, if you could donate any suitable books you find on your travels, you’d be doing us a great favour.”

Mr. Gout and his school are the focal point of our book collecting efforts. If we give the man enough books, he will reward us.

Each book garners a unique response from Gout.

Click here for one of Mr. Gout’s lessons.

Gout: “This fine Hero has just given us a good example of How To Make Friends by donating this book to the school. Helping people out and giving presents are both good ways to make friends. Can anybody tell me another way to make friends?”

Gout: “Yes?”

Billy: “Tell them you’ll smash their teeth in if they won’t be friends with you.”

Gout: “No, Billy. Threatening people is not really a good way to make friends with them. I think we need to work on this some more…”

The scene ends there. Every book you donate will earn you a little teaching scene like this.

Some will be performed as a play, like this one, titled “The Other Land”.

I finally decide to leave Bowerstone and carry on.

This is how the fishing minigame works. You press the left mouse button until the fish is reeled all the way to the hook icon. The fish will occasionally resist. During this resistance, you can keep pressing the left mouse button to counteract it, but this will cause the line to tense. It will turn redder and redder until it snaps. You can offer no resistance, but this will cause the fish to pull further away. Different fish have different “difficulties”, where some can be reeled in effortlessly while others will snap your line near instantly if you try to stop their escape attempts.

Naturally, fish aren’t all we can get from fishing. We can get potions like this, and of course we can acquire Silver Keys. Special items like this are usually only earned from special fishing spots, indicated by ripples in the water. You can fish anywhere there is water, but usually you just get fish unless at one of these ripple spots.

For instance, the Guild Woods has a ripple spot that offers us our third Silver Key, which I grab before carrying on.

Now Playing – Greatwood

Greatwood marks our first foray into hostile territory. We will be attacked by enemies as we trek through the woods.

Our first enemies are giant wasps. They’re pathetically easy to kill and don’t do much damage. They don’t even attack that often, so you really have to try to let them hit you. You can typically kill them in one hit, even with your starter weapons.

You will also notice someone else is in the picture above. In many world spaces, we will see traders travelling through. They will come under attack from local enemies, and they can even be killed. If you rescue them, they’ll cheer as you go past them.

You can also kill them yourself. Merchants typically drop gold and sometimes items, which you can either take after killing them or just wait for enemies to kill them. If you kill them yourself, however, guards will start spawning on their routes. Guards are much stronger than the enemies right now, so it is very dangerous to provoke their attacks. The rewards from killing merchants are so low it’s not worth it, especially as your karma will plummet.

A chest will spawn here if you check the Lookout Point statue at noon. It contains a “Piercing Augmentation”. Augmentations are little items that can be added to weapons to improve them in various ways. Piercing augmentations do more damage to “armored” enemies.

You can only put augmentations on weapons with slots for them, and we currently have none, so getting them is irrelevant for now.

This is a route to Orchard Farm. No idea why they chose to block this one off. I know it’s related to q a quest later, but I don’t know why they couldn’t just spawn the block in later.

On the opposite end from Orchard Farm, we find this man under siege. The wasps attack us once the scene ends.

Fisherman: “Couldn’t have come at a worse time either. I’ve got me a fishing competition to organise. I tell you what, I’ll give you free entry to the competition. Least I could do. You’ll be needing this ‘ere fishing rod. Made it meself.”

He gives us a regular fishing rod. We already have one, and we would have it for free if we’d waited till now, but it wasn’t too expensive and would have meant waiting to get the Guild Woods Silver Key.

This would be our tutorial to fishing if we hadn’t tried it earlier.

No matter where you fish, this will be what you catch here.

Fisherman: “You should come back ‘ere later. I’m reviving the great old Fishing Competition! There’s plenty more fishing spots round ‘ere if the mood takes you.”

This Golden Fish we caught is considered a “trophy”. Trophy items can be shown off in towns to earn renown. They start an odd sort of minigame where you’re challenged to show them off to all possible people in a short frame of time. If you show them off to everyone, you get bonus renown. It’s easy to earn enough renown without using them, so I imagine few people really do.

As the man mentioned, there’s other fishing spots around here. One to the north of his hut gives us a Silver Key.

Every time we go in and out of different world spaces, the enemies will respawn. They will also change as the game goes on. One day, even this Greatwood Entrance will be filled with much more powerful enemies than mere wasps.

Speaking of going in and out, let’s immediately return to Fisher’s Creek.

The competition is already available. Every fish you catch has a different weight assigned to it, and this man wants you to bring him the heaviest fish you can find.

The “bronze tier” prize is this improved rod, which we can use to catch better fish. Possibly by a small stroke of luck, I immediately catch a fish heavy enough to win the entire competition.

The top prize is this Fisherman’s Hat. It’s basically a cosmetic item with no real function. It apparently makes fishing easier, but it’s tedious enough to remember to put it on for every time you fish.

Fortunately, winning the whole competition entitles us to the silver prize too; a Silver Key. This is actually worth getting. We are now done with this place and move on.

Here in “Greatwood Lake”, we find our fifth Silver Key. The sign by the bridge says “Bridge Still Down”. It will never be repaired.

The local enemies are bandits. They are much sturdier than wasps, but you can still kill them easily with starter weapons. They will alternate between melee and ranged weapons if they need to do so to hit you.

The pictured Silver Chest holds another Elixir of Life.

Via Greatwood Lake we can access Orchard Farm. There’s a fishing pond near the entrance that gives us another Elixir of Life.

Digging up a grave near the farmer’s house gets us a piece of a dress. Women’s clothes are a thing in Fable, although limited in scope.

Incidentally, grave robbing is neither a crime nor an evil act.

Gemstones are an item that can be given to NPCs as a gift. Typically they’re better off sold for a good price, at least in my opinion.

The “treasure clues” make up a tiny sidequest to find a special item. Without the others we can’t find what it’s pointing to. The Guildmaster will chime in to tell us about how this treasure is rumoured to be somewhere in Albion.

On that note, the Guildmaster tends to offer you a lot of little bits of “advice”, mostly useless. His quips and reminders are known as some of the most annoying material in the entire series, with Fable 2 going on to lampoon how much people detested his little interjections.

Click here to receive the full Guildmaster experience.

On the far edge of Orchard Farm, we fish up our seventh Silver Key. We then move on to a new area.

Entering Greatwood Gorge for the first time causes the Guildmaster to warn us of a bandit toll in the region. Again completely useless, as not only will a passing NPC mention it, but multiple signs point to it being present too.

Bandit: “Or we could always use yer head as an ornament. Either way suits us.”

The bandit will then prompt you to pay, at least if you actually have the gold. Otherwise he’ll say he can’t “smell any” and tell you to go get some.

Of course we aren’t paying a cent.

Trying to run through or attacking will cause the entire bandit camp to go hostile. There’s a lot of them, but even now I can beat them easily.

If you knock enemies to the ground when they have low health, you can perform a finisher and kill them instantly. Otherwise they’ll get back up and you have to hit them however many times until they die.

If an enemy is standing around dazed, you can use a flourish to decapitate them. The bandits will often comment on how disgusted they are.

The large, unique bandit is the local boss. If you do not kill him specifically, the whole place will respawn upon leaving. This means you can keep the gorge as an encounter zone. If you do kill the boss, nothing ever spawns here again.

Not killing the boss means having him chase you around as you search chests and break barrels, but it’s easy to outrun him while doing so.

The local Demon Door promises to let us enter if we do something real evil in front of him. We lack the means to do so right now. Alternatively, if we were already especially evil, it would let us in without the need to complete a task.

Here we encounter “Hobbes”. These little gremlins aren’t too hard to beat, but the one with the glowing staff will shoot an explosive magic attack that will frequently interrupt whatever you’re doing. Your combat multiplier decreases with every hit, so these guys can easily wipe it out. Their attacks cause splash damage, so they’re capable of killing their own allies too.

The “cullis gate” is a warp place we can use to travel between specific locations. One is in the Guild, the other is in Bowerstone South. We can teleport between any of these places at will after visiting them.

Our Guild Seal allows us to warp from any location to a cullis gate when activated. It also remembers the last place you were in, so if we use it from a place without a cullis gate, we can “recall” to a place we would otherwise not be able to teleport to.

The local fishing spot gives us this moonfish. If we eat it, the time will immediately transition to night time.

At the Rose Cottage area, we encounter another Demon Door.

“I could only let someone who really loved me through.”

What we have to do here is give the door a gift. But not just any gift, it has to be a more or less romantic one, like roses or chocolates. Gemstones do not count, despite the fact regular NPCs rather like them. This is a good opportunity to warp somewhere like Bowerstone South and buy a gift.

“You’ve made me so happy. I can feel pebbles welling up in my eyes.”

Inside the Demon Door’s worldspace, called “The Secret Haven”, we find a whole set of “Will User’s Bright” clothing. Fable has clothes for different alignment types; bright clothes for good people, dark clothes for bad people, and neutral clothes for filthy neutrals with hearts full of neutrality. The clothes will actually impact your alignment, with these will users clothes spiking us into good karma. They also increase our attractiveness and supposedly offer protection against magic attacks.

Interestingly, cutting the local brambles to reach this chest is considered an evil act.

We can also get another Silver Key by digging in a conspicuous circle of flowers.

The Greatwood Caves region only actually holds the entrance to one cave, with the other taking you to a different forest.

The local Demon Door demands a high combat multiplier. 15 is what it wants. This can be hard to achieve naturally, as you’ll often get hit unless you’re an absolute whiz at blocking and dodging. Another inhibiting factor is that transitioning between different areas will reduce your combat multiplier, so you can’t just go get a high one and come back to him. As mentioned before, the local hobbes are particularly annoying given the splash attacks by the mages.

There is a trick we can use to get a high enough multiplier, but we don’t have what we need just yet.

As expected, the local Hobbe Cave is filled with hobbes. It also has treasure to plunder.

A Silver Chest contains a Will Master’s Elixir, which does for Will what Elixir’s of Life do for health.

This circle of mushrooms offers us another Silver Key.

This is an anticlimactic note to end an update on, but it’s getting over stuffed as is, and there’s a lot of miscellaneous stuff to come, so I’ll end it here.

Join me next time, where we venture into Darkwood and see our lost hometown.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, what're you doing for combat? It's been a while since I've played Fable, but I think you can use magic or ranged or melee as you like? There's no classes, but you can level up the attributes that govern each of the three, was it?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

painedforever posted:

So, what're you doing for combat? It's been a while since I've played Fable, but I think you can use magic or ranged or melee as you like? There's no classes, but you can level up the attributes that govern each of the three, was it?
Pretty much, yeah. One of the things that I enjoy with the Fable games is how the attributes affect your physical appearance. Level Strength and you get buffer, Speed makes you taller and lankier and Magic gives you glowing leyline tattoos all over your body.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

painedforever posted:

Yeah, I tend to just default to melee in this game, especially at the early stages. You can use whatever you want, but simple melee attacks tend to be the most effective way of dispatching enemies.

That will change a little in coming updates, mostly because we're going to break this game so drat hard.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 4 – Saint and Sinner

We last left off after trekking our way through Greatwood. We shall now be entering Darkwood.

Now Playing – Darkwood

Upon entering Darkwood for the first time, the Guildmaster hits us with this bit of narration;

“In Darkwood, you will find the Chapel of Skorm. Please the deities there, and they will let evil into your soul.”

Skorm is a god in Fable, obviously a god of EVIL. His counterpart is Avo, the god of Good. We will hear their names pop up from time to time.

The local bandits don’t look all that different, but they’re bigger and stronger than their counterparts in Greatwood. These guys can wreck you if you’re not used to Fable’s combat system.

In “Darkwood Marshes”, we find a Demon Door.

“If you request, my Guardians will test your mettle in combat. Meet their challenge, and the reward I hide is yours.”

We get a prompt to take the challenge. We do so.

“I see you are ready for your test. Very well! Guardians – attack!”

The Door’s Guardians are all Hobbes. As you can see, travelling traders can end up in the midst of the battle. They can provide a nice distraction, and their deaths yield coin as usual.

Upon defeating the initial wave, another spawns immediately. These ones look no different than the first, but carry axes rather than hammers.

Then come these somewhat stronger Hobbes.

Then we get a round of mages.

Lastly we get these big red Hobbes. Strongest of the lot and take the longest to kill.

Inside the “Darkwood Sanctum” we receive the Dark Will User set of clothing. It is the same as the Bright version but makes your alignment more evil.

Back in the Marsh, we find these mushrooms that explode if you get too close. It’s easy enough to use your bow or Will powers to destroy them from afar. Alternatively, you’ll often find that the travelling merchants will create a path for you by virtue of their own stupidity.

In the next area, “Darkwood Lake”, shooting this obelisk in its little hole causes a Silver Key to spawn. There’s a Silver Chest in the region too, but it requires 15 keys, which we won’t obtain for some time.

The Darkwood Bordello will in fact eventually open, being an addition from “The Lost Chapters”.

The next area, “Darkwood Camp”, features a collection of merchants sitting in tents. There is also a gamesman who offers to let you play Blackjack.

There’s also a chest that gives you a Steel Axe, which I take and equip.

Now Playing – Chapel of Evil

A slight detour from the Camp takes us to the aforementioned Chapel of Skorm.

The only way to interact with the chapel is to bring people to be sacrificed. Bringing specific people at specific times of day/night will yield different rewards. As we have no one with us, we cannot do anything here right now.

Going back to the Camp, we enter the next region along called “Ancient Cullis Gate”. An odd feature of this region is that every time you descend the stairs to the eponymous ancient cullis gate, a group of enemies will spawn that weren’t on your minimap before. Exiting/entering the other side also causes another group to spawn.

Near the exit we have our first encounter with Balverines. They are werewolf-like creatures who resist physical damage and have an annoying tendency to leap into the sky as you hit them, then coming down behind you.

Also note that a guard is present. He also managed to kill a Balverine for himself, which just goes to demonstrate how tough those blokes can be.

There is a Silver Key to be gotten in this region by fishing, but I forgot to get it while passing through. I will pick it up later.

In “Darkwood Wier”, we have our first encounter with Nymphs. They tend to fly about in an annoying fashion, completely invulnerable, until they present themselves to either lob a magic attack at you or summon enemies (in the Blue Nymphs case, they summon Hobbes). When they present themselves, you can attack them. The lockon feature is most handy against them.

Tofu is the good karma equivalent of Crunchy Chicks. Because, y’know, eating it is healthy and thus good for you?

The nearby chest contains a “Lightning Augmentation”. This causes more damage to specific enemies, like Hobbes, Nymphs, Wasps, and some others we’ll meet later.

Exiting Darkwood Wier takes us to Barrow Fields. Remember this place mentioned way back in our childhood?

The “town” of Barrow Fields is a collection of tents with shopkeepers. It’s basically a sort of trader hub.

“Another bony adventurer seeking to plunder my riches. I’m not interested in your meagre frame. Get some meat on you! I want beefy! Blubbery! Plump! Porcine! Stop being a slave to public perception, and treat yourself. Pies, meat, beer, anything, but lots of it! Eat yourself large, and you’ll be welcome here!”

Fable tracks your character’s weight, both as a stat you can look at in the menu and makes your character model noticeably chubbier.

After buying 30 “red meat” from the Darkwood Camp in anticipation of this, I manage to meet the door’s requirements by chowing down in front of him.

“It’s said that inside every fat person is a thin one trying to get out. But no – I say, outside every thin person is a fat one trying to get in. Enter; weighty wanderer!”

Our reward inside the “Old Kingdom Spring” is a Will Master’s Elixir.

I take this moment to demonstrate the gut we developed as a result of our efforts. Also you might note I had a tattoo applied.

We will eventually work the weight off by running around and I think eating “healthy food” will also help reduce it. Suffice to say we won’t be remaining a weighty wanderer for long.

Adjacent to Barrow Fields is the “Grey House”. It looks much like the neighbouring Darkwood region, and is infested with these zombie creatures called “Hollow Men”. They are very slow, but can sometimes pack a punch.

A local fishing spot nets us a Silver Key; the one just before the Demon Door.

You can marry a whole slew of generic NPCs in the game, but the only character that will satisfy this requirement will not be available until much later.

On the note of marriage, one of the locals in Barrow Fields finds us attractive enough to consider a relationship. We’d need to get the heart bigger to propose though.

Now Playing – Oakvale

Upon entering our old hometown, a cutscene begins.

Click here to reunite with a “familiar” face.

This lady whistles to get our attention.

Funnily enough, you can see the local fistfighters running to their arena during this cutscene.

Emily: “Anyway, I have to go now. But it was great to see you again. Bye!”

And the scene ends there. Emily leaves and we never see her again.

In the original Fable and “The Lost Chapters”, it was technically possible to talk to “Emily” after the cutscene. You could even romance and marry her. However, she had no unique features and shared a character model with various other generic NPCs in the game.

In Anniversary, Emily just vanishes after the cutscene, so it’s completely impossible to consider yourself married to her. Her character model isn’t even consistent, changing with every game.

Anyway, we’re now free to explore Oakvale. I begin robbing the place blind and taking up local quests.

You may notice I have my weapons on hand, unlike in Bowerstone. Oakvale permits you to have your weapons, but pulling them out is considered a crime. If you do it accidentally and put it away quickly, the guards will forgive you, but running about town with your sword out will accrue a fine.

Lady: “My dear husband was lost to the waters years ago. He went on a fishing expedition and never came back. I haven’t given up hope of seeing him again one day.”

It’s not immediately clear what we can do about this, but we’ll find out soon.

This guy gives a modified version of the spiel Rund gave us back in Bowestone Quay. Naturally, you have to win there to fight here.

The only difference between this brawl and the Bowerstone one is there’s an extra fighter and the boss is slightly tougher.

I ended up taking a hit during the last fight and get 450 gold for my trouble.

In a world full of British accents, this man comes with a silly American one. I want to say he’s trying to do a Southerner, but I wouldn’t know for sure, not being American.

Click here to listen to some of the goofy accents we’ll be hearing.

Gentleman: “I run a harmless little chicken contest down on the beach, but I’m having a bit of ghost trouble. Some deceased chicken-fancier no doubt. The thing is, he’s scaring all my punters away. You couldn’t, you know…work some of your Hero magic and get rid of him, could you?”

Mr. American here is an addition from “The Lost Chapters”. Originally, you’d just find this ghost on your own.

Ghost: “I have paced this forsaken beach for so many years. Could it be that you be sent by the gods to lift me from my fierce torment?”

We get a prompt to help him. We say yes.

Ghost: “My spirit dwells at the bottom of the sea, gar, and my poor wife is left destitute and grieving. Gar. She thinks I was but a simple fisherman, and still be somewhere lost at sea.”

Despite the odd way of spelling his “Arrrs”, this man has been talking in a pirate accent this whole time, making it easy to guess where they’re going with him. Note that the Hero reacts like he’s actually surprised.

Pirate Ghost: “I hid my sinfully plundered treasure next to the jetty on the western beach. If you were to use a spade to dig it up and give it to my wife, I will reward you with plentiful riches, ye old sea dog. If you be in need of a spade, they be sold in town.”

That lady we met earlier is this pirate’s wife. If we go dig near the jetty she’s standing near, we will indeed find 500 gold.

Now, we could give it to the wife and complete the quest, getting ourselves 60 good karma points and the location of the pirate’s treasure. But we’re going to keep the money.

“But that means forfeiting the treasure”, you surely comment. But no, it does not.

In this “Memorial Garden” area, beneath the “axe” of this statue, we will be prompted to dig.

We get both a Silver Key and this Obsidian Greataxe. “Great” weapons are of course larger, heavier varieties of the one’s we’ve got so far. They require a certain level of physique just to use correctly, otherwise the Hero will attack very slowly with them.

This is indeed the pirate’s treasure, which he would have directed us to if we’d completed the quest normally. Digging it up still “completes” the quest, getting us 100 gold and 150 renown. Doing this causes the pirate ghost and his wife to despawn.

It is also possible to dig up the treasure without ever talking to the wife or the pirate. This will result in you losing out on the 100 gold and 150 renown, as well as the opportunity to dig up the 500 gold on the beach.

While we’re in this graveyard, I should mention the statue here is meant to be our father, Brom. The axe looks very similar to the one from his death in the related fresco.

(Image taken from the Fable Wiki)

Apparently there was also a cut idea where Brom was meant to be found as a ghost in the graveyard.

Returning to Oakvale, we find “Myra”, who is the object of Cyril’s affections. He was the bloke that gave us a letter for her all the way back in the Guild Woods.

Myra: “I think…I think he might be in love with me. You haven’t spoken to him, have you?”

We get a prompt to give Myra his letter.

We get another prompt to pass off the letter as our own. Cyril specifically warned us not to try this. We will honour our word and say it’s his.

Myra: “I don’t believe it. He really does love me! He says my eyes are like two glowing suns…I have to let him know I feel the same. Please, could you take this to him? Oh, I can’t wait to tell Fiona about this!”

Myra then leaves for Barrow Fields, never to be seen again.

If we were to lie, Myra would claim to instantly fall in love with us, forgetting all about Cyril and give us an alternative letter;

"Oh, I am so happy you have such passionate feelings for me, for I am bursting with love for you too! We shall meet again soon, my dear, and nothing in Albion will tear us apart, for I am forever yours,
- Myra”

However, despite professing her everlasting love to you, Myra will still insist on leaving to tell Fiona all about it, which translates to her vanishing from the game world forever. Once again, we get no unique partner, and do not in fact gain anything at all.

Regardless of how we got rid of the pirate ghost, the gent will finally move down to the beach and start his minigame for us.

Click here to see a game of chicken kicken.

He is joined by a number of commentators, one of which is protesting this fowl situation. The others love the idea of this sport and give you a few hints, but they’re not necessary.

Gentleman: “All you have to do is step into the ring and kick the feathery vermin into the scoring area. Oh, it’s easy! Now, my eyesight ain’t what it used to be, but I can usually make out where they land. Want to give it a try?”

We give it a try.

The kicking master will give commentary on every square we kick the chicken to.

As alluded to earlier, the man’s eyesight can be rather wonky. You can see the chicken is almost certainly in the 50 zone, but we get 25 instead. Perhaps even a hair of the chicken being in 25 makes it so?

A Silver Key is the second tier prize, earned by getting at least 150 points. I deliberately aimed for it, as unlike the Fishing Competition, you do not earn the lesser prizes for winning the better ones.

The lowest rank prize is the “Cock-A-Doodle-Do” expression. All this does is make your Hero do a funny chicken call. Briefly amusing, but not worth exerting yourself for.

The ‘best’ prize is a Chicken Hat in the same vein as the Fisherman’s Hat. Unlike the Fisherman’s Hat, it doesn’t even have any special properties at all, so it’s even less useful. It’s also annoying to earn unless you play a perfect game of Chicken Kicking.

The last piece of interest around Oakvale is a nearby area called the “Clifftop Path”. It’s blocked off by gate for now. This marks the end of our ability to explore. We haven’t run out of things to do, but we have run out of ways to move forward without completing main quests.

Before I go doing anything else, I wrap up the Cyril quest by going back to him and giving him Myra’s reply.

Cyril: “Have this for your trouble. I have no more need for intoxicants, for I have found love!”

This is a quest item that will be used elsewhere. For now we’ll just keep it in our inventory.

Even if we told Myra the letter was from us, we could still give Cyril the letter we got from Myra, passing it off as a reply to him. We’d get our mushroom and get some good points, despite the fact we pulled the wool over his eyes and probably set him up for some real embarrassment.

Alternatively, if we don’t give him the letter (we get a prompt when returning to him) he’ll first ask if we really don’t have anything for him, giving us another prompt. If we refuse again, it is interpreted as us informing Cyril that Myra did not like him at all. He denounces her as an “ugly cow” and gives us the mushroom anyway.

Next we cross the Greatwood Gorge Demon Door off our list. It wanted us to commit an act of “great evil” in front of it. The simplest way of doing so is to bring 11 or so crunchy chicks and chow down in front of him.

We get this inside “The Arboretum”. Wellow’s Pickhammer is considered a “Legendary Weapon”. Our Steel Axe has a damage rating of 38, whereas Wellow’s Pickhammer has one of 120. On top of that, it has two piercing augments built into it. It is a very handy weapon at the early stages of the game.

However, the Pickhammer is the weakest of the legendary items, and it’s not even the strongest we can get out hands on.

Now, it’s time we got really overpowered.

Returning to the Guild briefly, I purchase two spells; “Slow Time” and “Force Push”. Slow Time is obvious, and Force Push creates a shockwave that knocks enemies down in a wide radius. We saw it used by Maze during our final test.

With these two spells and a lot of Will Potions, we can pull off a little trick that allows us to get a high combat multiplier. Right next to the Demon Door that needs such a high multiplier, we kill the nearby Hobbes, hoping to have them all die clustered together. Once they’re all dead, we use the Slow Time spell to keep their bodies from vanishing quickly. Then we use the Force Push spell on them. Despite the fact they’re all dead, using Force Push on their bodies counts towards building a combat multiplier. Do it enough times, and we’re well over the necessary 15.

Inside “The Butterfly House”, we obtain this. Cutlass Bluetane has one of 165, and a lightning augment built in. We have just quadrupled our damage output from our basic weapons and gotten a 45 increase over the weakest legendary weapon.

But we’re not stopping here.

Returning to the Chapel of Skorm, we bring them a sacrifice. The easiest ones to get are any of the mercenary characters, like the one I pointed out in Bowerstone in update 3. There’s also one hanging around in Oakvale. The rest can’t be acquired until we progress with the game.

Click here to see a man sent to hell.

The torture method is randomly selected from a list.

Unfortunately, one sacrifice is nowhere near enough to get what we want. Even if you make a sacrifice at a good time, you also have to have the right alignment. The discussion around this is rather unclear, and even the wiki is known to be unreliable. One thing’s for sure, the gooder you are, the more points you get, and we need to hit 1000 in one sitting.

I end up spending a few hours in the Hobbe Cave, going back and forth slaying countless Hobbes in my quest to become a complete saint.

Achieving a perfect good alignment causes a halo to display over our heads, and you can even see butterflies flittering about us. We also go completely blonde, because as we all know, the blonder you are the better a person you are. There were some very nice German gents who thought exactly that, and everyone remembers how nice they were.

Anyway, time to ruin our alignment.

And there we go; Skorm’s Bow, the single strongest ranged weapon in the game. It has a damage rating of 264, and comes with a lightning augment and sharpening augment (giving a pure increase to damage).

Incidentally, our alignment has definitely dipped, but we’re still considered a “good person”. Not even 1200 evil points can take you from being a saint to the antichrist.

We are now officially OP, there is basically no enemy in the game that could face us and live. And we did it all without beating a single main quest.

But speaking of…

Join me next time, where we finally start the main quests!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I appreciate you breaking the game over your knee for us. Its too silly of a game to be given the dignity of a normal playthrough.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
To clarify the kinda-American, it does seem like he was trying to be southern. He was still speaking clearly with every word though, so it's a bit like hearing somebody who understands the tone of what he's trying to say but not knowing the manner that goes along with it. Even setting aside pure redneck stereotype and going with the accent of, say, a northerner transplanted to the south, the cadence isn't "like a British person, but with twang".

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Drakenel posted:

I appreciate you breaking the game over your knee for us. Its too silly of a game to be given the dignity of a normal playthrough.

I love game-breaking. The only way I know how to win is to use a game-breaking exploit to create a character that's OP and then smash my way to victory.

... I'm not good at this gaming thing is what I mean to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:getin: Now the party really starts.