Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm not insisting that this is healthy or good practice but I cannot remember having the option of not eating the food in front of me as a kid (in a typical Canadian suburb childhood). I'm also not a picky eater so I suppose maybe it just never came up. If anything the expectation was more that you finish everything that was served to you, which I know think is almost more of a cultural thing - ie some cultures if you finish your plate you get more piled onto it so you never really finish the plate completely to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

dino. posted:

Oh gods, if we can also mention store bought food, Ferrero Rocher is up there.

With this drug store chocolate you are really spoiling uzzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-nZZkQqTc

ahahaha I remember those ads, I figured they were too high class for me to ever cross paths with them. When I finally saw them in the wild on a gas station counter I was old enough to go "fuckers lied to me" :stare:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pekinduck posted:

ahahaha I remember those ads, I figured they were too high class for me to ever cross paths with them. When I finally saw them in the wild on a gas station counter I was old enough to go "fuckers lied to me" :stare:

I love Ferraro Rocher. They’re delicious! As an occasional treat I’ll buy myself a little three-pack of them and guzzle them. They are pretty decent quality, actually.

My cousin is acting ambassador to Malta so I sent him this ad a few weeks ago.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When covid first hit people were dropping off gifts at the hospital and one such gift was several hundred of those ferraro rochers. I'm good for life now I think.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

How Wonderful! posted:

My dad really, really liked Outback, and so we would go to Outback every year for his birthday. I assumed it had to be the most elegant place on earth because my dad was an elegant guy and he certainly seemed to enjoy it.

This was a good story. Outback was proper fancy for us, too. Birthdays and graduations only!

Everyday fancy was the Shoney's Friday seafood buffet. I love seafood but my mom hates it so we never had it at home. Early 1990s me ate so drat many fried clams at Shoney's.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

When covid first hit people were dropping off gifts at the hospital and one such gift was several hundred of those ferraro rochers. I'm good for life now I think.
Congratulations on becoming a Ferraro rancher

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

My cousin is acting ambassador to Malta so I sent him this ad a few weeks ago.

Wait, seriously? Get him a membership here and point him at this thread - we can get a solid calibration point on what is actually very-loving-fancy.

At the very least, get him to send a photo or two of an Ambassador's Banquet, it will serve as our calibration point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah

To their slight credit I don't think the signs are designating entrances/spaces, they just have boards with random wild west phrases all over the place. American Wild West stuff is also like, a thing in Italy. There might not even be an English translation of this comic AFAIK:

Much of the American Wild West you see in movies is actually Italy, so that makes sense. They got referred to as Spaghetti Westerns for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

Wait, seriously? Get him a membership here and point him at this thread - we can get a solid calibration point on what is actually very-loving-fancy.

At the very least, get him to send a photo or two of an Ambassador's Banquet, it will serve as our calibration point.

Yeah. Although it seems like it was a brief posting and he’s back in DC.