Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I did the linux-newbie-with-an-IT-background thing and kept going back to endeavourOS. Fedora was fine, but anything like popOS or a distro with the gnome DE was bad.

As a shallow Mint/PopOS user myself what was the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Just Another Lurker posted:

As a shallow Mint/PopOS user myself what was the issue?

Better to say "bad for me." I discovered that I really, really do not like the gnome-based DE; but for real issues, just while doing typical new-build software installations (browsers, VLC, basic stuff) through the package manager caused it to fall into emergency mode out of nowhere while restarting as a matter of course. Happened twice and since I was in my distro-experimentation phase I just went back to endeavourOS instead of troubleshooting that or getting KDE going.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like Crystal Linux cause its arch that comes with a package manager like yay and slick extensions for gnome but endeavor and pop are my alternatives

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m on Fedora KDE with an nvidia card and have been very happy. I boot into windows for games that are borked in Proton but otherwise I haven’t needed to use Windows for the better part of a year. Getting the proprietary drivers is just a dnf download, uninstall the open source ones, and reboot.

Gnome is fine but I’ve found after taking a couple hours to customize KDE it’s just a lot easier to build the environment around your preferred workflow, and I find the settings tool to be a lot easier to use.

It’s sounding like the open source nvidia drivers are on the edge of a big performance breakthrough, though. That’d be cool.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I personally recommend U-Blue, either the base version or Bazzite. They are both built on Fedora Silverblue and have a lot of common sense tweaks that you would make anyway.

You can always rebase back to regular silverblue if you wan to as well since it's ostree based.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm always gonna recommend openSUSE Tumbleweed as an alternative worth considering for anyone. It's a rolling distro kinda like arch (very frequent updates), but the packages are tested before they roll out to ensure the most stability. In the case something breaks (anything breaking has been very rare for me, maybe once or twice the past 2 years), it comes preconfigured with btrfs filesystem and snapper, which enables rollback functionality that lets you roll back to any snapshot you'd like very easily. It's also configured to automatically snapshot as you run the update functionality, so in case anything goes wrong it's trivial to rollback to a snapshot right before the update where everything works again.

Great integration of both of the most popular desktop environments (KDE and Gnome), good package manager and decent repositories (about equivalent to Fedora), with the addition of integrated user-hosted repositories that can be managed with a different command if you ever need to get something more niche that can't be found on the official ones. Though arch-based distros definitely has it beat in terms of package availability and documentation, but if you want some of the pros of an arch based distro without the possible need to tinker as much, openSUSE is a great choice.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks for your responses everyone, a lot to consider! I do think I’m inclined towards simplicity as a relative newbie, but the options people have posted about sound like they have good things. I think I just need to give some of these a shot and see for myself what I like, don’t like, and am willing to tolerate - not much to lose when I’m just starting out!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I like pop_os, everything is working just fine so I'll stick with it for the indefinite future - but if I was starting from scratch I'd likely go for fedora.
"Boring" is the highest praise I think an operating system can receive.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, asking people which distro to use is gonna get people coming out of the woodwork.

I was in a similar boat as yourself, getting sick of Windows and considering dual-booting for standard desktop stuff and gaming, lots of gaming. I settled on Ubuntu, as it was the new hotness back in 2012 with a really huge user base. I don't regret my choice at all - having a collosal amount of people on the internet made solving some teething problems much much easier, as any issue you come up with has been asked and answered in detail many times before.

So yea, that's my advice, if not Ubuntu itself, then stick to the major Distros with a large user base and avoid the cool forked projects, as the newbie hurdle isn't specifically the command prompt nor esoteric commands, but rather skipping all the fruitless troubleshooting and just getting the drat thing to work.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
FWIW I just ended a year of daily driving Linux as my main OS. it was great. learned a ton.

currently back on Windows for a little, and the nicest stuff is just what Linux lacks in ability, but it's all small poo poo-- Discord streaming works and replay buffer doesn't lag my system, NLVE seem to work a little more consistently. Winget isn't bad.

But I do miss the Linux tinkering.

plus I find the way windows lays its filesystems out irritating now.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there an elegant way to get KDE or Gnome’s keyboard layout switcher to actually take in games? I usually type in Dvorak because I’m a turbo nerd but a lot of games can’t auto-update their keybinds to match the format. Changing to standard US in KDE works for the DE but not the actual game.

I set up a keyboard shortcut to switch using the setxkbmap command, which works, but doesn’t have any fancy UI or confirmation.

I heard gamescope will automatically switch you to qwerty but I have an nvidia card and run X11 so gave up on it after 20 minutes of fiddling.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Finally made the switch to gaming on linux after using Mint for years for non gaming stuff.

Installed Nobara 39, never used KDE Plasma before... everything feels nice and calm so far. :comfyoot:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Well Played Mauer posted:

I set up a keyboard shortcut to switch using the setxkbmap command, which works, but doesn’t have any fancy UI or confirmation.

Adding a native KDE notification to a script is trivial. I do something very similar to you, I use ratbagctl to toggle between mouse layouts; the last line of the script is a call to notify-send that gives me a nice popup with the name of the layout I just cycled to.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've really been enjoying the steamdeck and I think if they actually port a recent version of the steamOS to desktops I would probably try it out as an everything operating system. I've used Mint and Ubuntu half a decade or so ago, on some laptops I was mainly using for programming classes and found it to be pretty good, but there was enough gaming / weird utility stuff that only supported Windows that I never really considered it on a main PC until now.

Honestly these days, if I can run Steam , Plex, Firefox, and some emulators I've got like 95% of my needs met. The fact that windows keeps adding more and more dumb poo poo I don't need or want is another reason to try to avoid it.

Mostly concerned about Nvidia and their lovely drivers and a bunch of little utility things for retro console modding that I think might be windows only.

What's the linux music player of choice? Is there some sort of itunes equivalent with decent library / tagging support? I use musicbee on PC for the most part, but there is no linux version.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

NihilCredo posted:

Adding a native KDE notification to a script is trivial. I do something very similar to you, I use ratbagctl to toggle between mouse layouts; the last line of the script is a call to notify-send that gives me a nice popup with the name of the layout I just cycled to.

This is so cool. Thank you!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Somone just linked me an interesting new game in development; they have Windows binaries, and for Linux natives (yay!) they have... appimages and flatpacks.

I'm on Ubuntu. It already annoys me enough that there's some loose snaps running around on my system. I just had to look up what appimages are (seems like the worst of all worlds, manually checking&updating dependencies), am I wrong to be annoyed by this? It honestly might be easier to take the windows binary, as I already have WINE installed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The whole point of AppImages is that you can pretend they're just one large binary. The only unusual dependency is libfuse2.

Flatpaks also run totally fine on Ubuntu. Like I get the idea you might not want both flatpaks and snaps installed but functionally it's not an issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just get the Windows binary and use Proton. that’s the version they actually tested

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Serephina posted:

Somone just linked me an interesting new game in development; they have Windows binaries, and for Linux natives (yay!) they have... appimages and flatpacks.

I'm on Ubuntu. It already annoys me enough that there's some loose snaps running around on my system. I just had to look up what appimages are (seems like the worst of all worlds, manually checking&updating dependencies), am I wrong to be annoyed by this? It honestly might be easier to take the windows binary, as I already have WINE installed.

Are you talking about Beyond All Reason? Just roll with the AppImage, it works well.

I had the same reaction, and grumbled about flatpaks. The game isn't on steam yet either, otherwise I'd just run it via Proton.

I'd actually bet that B.A.R. has the highest fraction of Linux players of any game since TuxRace but .debs just aren't cool enough for them. I'd bet they're all on Arch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s trivial to add a non-Steam game to Steam and tell it to use Steam Play / Proton, IME

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Substandard posted:

What's the linux music player of choice? Is there some sort of itunes equivalent with decent library / tagging support? I use musicbee on PC for the most part, but there is no linux version.

I was also using MusicBee. I haven't found a decent replacement on Linux. I've been using Strawberry and it's quite nice but not nearly at the level of MusicBee.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
I'm a stubborn little gremlin and as such have been using MusicBee in wine. Really wish the developer would make the source public

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

just get the Windows binary and use Proton. that’s the version they actually tested

This. I have steam games with linux native ports, I force them to use the windows version through proton because they work better that way.

Substandard posted:

I've really been enjoying the steamdeck and I think if they actually port a recent version of the steamOS to desktops I would probably try it out as an everything operating system. I've used Mint and Ubuntu half a decade or so ago, on some laptops I was mainly using for programming classes and found it to be pretty good, but there was enough gaming / weird utility stuff that only supported Windows that I never really considered it on a main PC until now.

SteamOS is pretty much just a weird Steam-and-Games-Only window manager. The KDE / desktop mode is just arch linux.

If you feel like giving that a spin again, try something like Fedora, Suse Tumbleweed, or EndevourOS. Those are distros that update frequently, while Mint and Ubuntu are on longer schedules.

Substandard posted:

King Boo posted:

I'm a stubborn little gremlin and as such have been using MusicBee in wine. Really wish the developer would make the source public

Linux music players are the weirdest blind spot. There really isn't anything that I'd call great. I was a dedicated Foobar user, and even the linux player that's explicitly trying to be Foobar for Linux is way behind in many features.

(Sadly Foobar had a lot of problems for me via wine.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you have a subscription to a music service I'd just use a PWA for that service as your player in linux.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's wrong with Flatpaks and Snaps? I use 'em all the time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LividLiquid posted:

Snap by default does not allow applications to touch files outside of your home directory rather than working with user permissions in the traditional way. Flatpak seems designed only to package GUI apps, working with CLI apps in it just feels so clunky.

Default-config docker is insane for end user applications too, let's just run everything as root. I wish rootless podman had grown in popularity faster.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been using clementine ever since amarok2 debacle happened and it's needs suiting

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Truga posted:

i've been using clementine ever since amarok2 debacle happened and it's needs suiting

I use Strawberry, a fork of Clementine and I like it. I don't do any tagging with it but it handles a decent sized library just fine.

Only problem I've had is the EQ doesn't work, but I use JamesDSP for that anyway.

Come to think of it I don't know why I decided on Strawberry over Clementine.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 14, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you have a subscription to a music service I'd just use a PWA for that service as your player in linux.

This is what I do with Spotify.

But I don't keep my own media files anymore, for better and for worse, sadly. Forced there by a cascade of storage failures and poor forethought, but I can't say I'm unhappy having less things to worry about.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

isaboo posted:

Come to think of it I don't know why I decided on Strawberry over Clementine.

Might be that you saw that Clementine hasn't been updated in like 7 years?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh. Yeah. That was likely it lol.

When I was fiddling with CLI music players for use with hyprland, I recall liking cmus and I'm pretty sure I tried all of them.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 14, 2024

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LividLiquid posted:

Nothing if you like them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have a decent Linux PC that I started using for gaming since it has a video card. It's a older GTX950, it's enough for me, but I'm having some trouble with Scaling. So I have a 3440x1440 Ultrawide (some Philips model). I'm playing DOTA2 and it's not good to play at UWD, it's better if it was in 16:9 letterboxed. In DOTA2, if I select that resolution, it just stretches it to 21:9 so it's no good. I can set the panel size in my monitor to make it work, but there has to be a way to do that in nvidia control panel with the Viewport settings. I'm a full time linux user, so I'm not afraid of that, but I just can't find a good guide.

- when not in the game, use 3440x1440 full screen
- when in game, use 1920x1080 16:9 non-stretched letter boxed

Any recommendations or reading I peruse?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You should be able to run the game in gamescope, with --nested-width 1920 --nested-height 1080, and --output-width 3440 --output-height 1440, with --scaler integer

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

You should be able to run the game in gamescope, with --nested-width 1920 --nested-height 1080, and --output-width 3440 --output-height 1440, with --scaler integer

That's what I've seen. I think I need to switch to the flatpack Stream for that to work, no big deal but I'll fiddle with it.

Thanks!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Try using the -w and -h launch options in the steam client. They should let you resize or reposition the game window.

Or maybe it's -x and -y to set the offset.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

I can get gamescope to install/run if I use it and Steam from flatpak. But I can't apply any options or the game won't load. Linux Mint doesn't have an easy way to install gamescope direction, so I'm not sure if I want to mess with it. I'm OK to just switch monitor modes when I load it, it's just a couple buttons on the display.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Try using the -w and -h launch options in the steam client. They should let you resize or reposition the game window.

Or maybe it's -x and -y to set the offset.

I can't get this to work in a way that makes sense. It just makes the screen short and stretched, it's really odd. I'll keep messing with it though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Apparently mint fucks up gamescope because they aren't shipping up-to-date supporting wayland stuff, and gamescope depends on wayland? So even the flatpak may have problems.

I dunno but I feel like I see more problems with mint for gaming than any other distro. I guess mostly because it's a popular one, but I think their nature as ubuntu-but-even-slower doesn't help.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

Apparently mint fucks up gamescope because they aren't shipping up-to-date supporting wayland stuff, and gamescope depends on wayland? So even the flatpak may have problems.

I dunno but I feel like I see more problems with mint for gaming than any other distro. I guess mostly because it's a popular one, but I think their nature as ubuntu-but-even-slower doesn't help.

What's a good recommendation for Linux gaming? I just picked Mint because I read somewhere that it's good but I don't care which I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

What's a good recommendation for Linux gaming? I just picked Mint because I read somewhere that it's good but I don't care which I use.

I started using Nobara (a pimped Fedora) last week and i quite like it so far, Path Of Exile runs perfectly.

Problems so far; No Man's Sky gives me the redownload bug & some of the Total War games just don't launch.