Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakox posted:

I don't know what people like in build threads like these and I haven't been taking great pics. I'm accepting requests

:justpost:

Krakox posted:

yep! She's stock for right now, but if i find a rolled 2.2L Dodge Caravan with an intact powerplant + turbo, It's gonna be mine no matter how many kids died in the crash.

Path i'm taking right now is to get all the systems up and running before i make drastic alterations, but if i find a turbo ( turbo models generate a blistering 10 hp more over the stock 85 HP!) i'll find a way to drop it in.

Turbo models also come with extra turbo sound which makes it seem even faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakox posted:

very tired, dark out, no pics, but floor is at a point where it is 'good enough '. any further welding risks damaging interior parts or are in impossible to get locations (behind brake pedal, for example). Prime candidates for silicon sealant. probably better than whatever the factory did. after that I can drill holes for the seats and have an interior!

will take pics, but I think the steps for a floor are clean>Rust converter>primer>weatherproofing, right? and then you'd lay on the insulation and then the carpet?

not a lot in the service manuals for trim and interior pieces, just going by vibes from car sites.

Sound deadener if you want to put some MLV down. I used noico 80mil and it was really good.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

joat mon posted:

Does it do anything for heat?

Real heat like a muffler or just is it also insulation? It’s a mild form of insulation but nothing serious if you actually need insulation. I would get something real if we’re talking exhaust type heat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakox posted:

if you guys know what to do with bare metal to prepare it for turning it into a long lasting sound proof heat resistant interior, i'd love to hear it.

Sorry, not to be dense but what kind of heat resistant do you want?

For #vanlife, folks usually do one of three things for insulation. Spray foam, thinsulate or hard foam board. For floors it’s typically hard foam board in what’s basically a subfloor. So if you want to just insulate against general outside temps I’d see if one of those fit. But if you want engine heat insulation then maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-16-36sqft-Absorption-Deadener-Insulation/dp/B01K9X4710/