Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mizaq posted:

How can he possibly defend against it? Testify in court it was the IRS he lied to? Claim there’s no law against declaring two different values?

I mean why not? Similar plans have worked for him pretty frequently since 2016. I'd love for this to be the thing that cracks the anti mattering field but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mizaq posted:

How can he possibly defend against it? Testify in court it was the IRS he lied to? Claim there’s no law against declaring two different values?

Same as all his other current troubles- delay for two years, get re-elected, order the DOJ to drop everything and/or self-pardon

vvvvvvvvv He'll issue the order anyway and enjoy another few months of chaos instead of repercussions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

Same as all his other current troubles- delay for two years, get re-elected, order the DOJ to drop everything and/or self-pardon

this is a state level lawsuit, immune to federal pardon power

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

haveblue posted:

It's a civil suit.

Civil suit means no jail time. Consequences are a lot of fines and being barred from doing business in NY.

She says that she is making criminal referrals based on evidence she gathered, but this specific lawsuit has 0 chance of jail and is not related to any federal case.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a civil suit.

Civil suit means no jail time. Consequences are a lot of fines and being barred from doing business in NY.

She says that she is making criminal referrals based on evidence she gathered, but this specific lawsuit has 0 chance of jail and is not related to any federal case.

Yeah, no time, but essentially the end of Trumpco

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Trump's whole tax avoidance scheme is centered around misrepresenting the valuation of his properties as well, right? So, wouldn't this have implications re: taxes owed, tax fraud committed, etc as well?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ultimately, I'll believe anything of consequence can actually happen when I see it.
For now, I'm just going to file this whole thing under "Oh-ho, I'd like to see Trump wriggle out of this one!...Ah well, nevertheless!" with all the others.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Charliegrs posted:

So if the president decided to declassify a document that had the names of every spy currently in Russia there's nothing anyone could do about it? Like even if it would be incredibly damaging to US national security and literally get people killed?

Specific to this part: as others have said there is a process that must be followed, and part of that process would in this case involve extracting all those spies before the information got out and put them in danger.

I forget where I read it, but it's been suggested a reason why Trump is trying to avoid legal trouble by saying he declassified things that are clearly still classified is that those things wouldn't be of any value if they were actually declassified.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charliegrs posted:

Dumb question, but is it really true the president can declassify any documents he wants? So if the president decided to declassify a document that had the names of every spy currently in Russia there's nothing anyone could do about it? Like even if it would be incredibly damaging to US national security and literally get people killed? Because Trump is saying he declassified all the documents he kept in his closet and a few of those were the most highly classified types of documents.

His power to declassify is power to request a declassification on anything.

However, the rest of the government can go "no" if they have good reason or legislation to prevent it.

As opposed to most people in the government, who don't even have the power to request it.

Trump is doing the "I declare bankruptcy!" bit from The Office, but seriously.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

His power to declassify is power to request a declassification on anything.

However, the rest of the government can go "no" if they have good reason or legislation to prevent it.

As opposed to most people in the government, who don't even have the power to request it.

Trump is doing the "I declare bankruptcy!" bit from The Office, but seriously.

I thought it was more that he does have the power to declassify arbitrarily, but he doesn't have the power to declassify retroactively, especially after ceasing to be president. He would have to prove that he made the declaration while still holding the office, and he can't

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

haveblue posted:

I thought it was more that he does have the power to declassify arbitrarily, but he doesn't have the power to declassify retroactively, especially after ceasing to be president. He would have to prove that he made the declaration while still holding the office, and he can't

Even if he did it in office, there's a process, and lol he doesn't have the patience to actually do that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
He can arbitrarily declassify *some* things. Tweeting out classified satellite images for schoolyard bragging about Iran missile sites was not illegal because he could claim it was declassified. That cannot be done retroactively through the power of thoughts you claim to have had but not communicated at the time while you are no longer president now.

Some specific material under specific programs is protected by statutes that mandate a process involving the notification of involved agencies/personnel and requiring their sign off.

And all of it is part of the storm of bullshit and lies Trump is kicking up because the charges filed against him are completely independent of their classification. Trump stooges and right wing media are purposefully lying and conflating the two to make this an issue that it is not so it can be argued in the court of public opinion based on those lies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skylined! posted:

Trump's whole tax avoidance scheme is centered around misrepresenting the valuation of his properties as well, right? So, wouldn't this have implications re: taxes owed, tax fraud committed, etc as well?
Yes the NY AG said that she is making a criminal referral to IRS and DoJ over the tax stuff

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So what if he moves TrumpOrg to Florida to escape this? is that a thing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

OAquinas posted:

So what if he moves TrumpOrg to Florida to escape this? is that a thing?

He could, but it wouldn't eliminate the existing liability or ban from doing business in New York that would hypothetically happen if he loses.

That is most likely what he actually will do if he does lose the suit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I fully expect him to reincorporate in FL yes

It’s going to be very hard for him to get loans though

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I hope this is appropriate for the thread, but the Federal Reserve hiked its benchmark interest rate again.

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1572647629527617537

That was expected, but the more notable story is the surprisingly pessimistic (for the Fed) inflation forecasts that have just come out.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1572648700022849536

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1572647418885246980?t=qhMPO9-MeD-GhRKUJhp3AA&s=19

That will have consequences on the unemployment rate, of course.

https://twitter.com/KathyJones/status/1572648997738909696

It's going to be harder than ever for the Biden Administration and the Democrats to argue that we are not in a recession. Having to deal with inflation worries is not going to go away either.

There is probably going to be another hike before midterm elections as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's going to be harder than ever for the Biden Administration and the Democrats to argue that we are not in a recession. Having to deal with inflation worries is not going to go away either.

There is probably going to be another hike before midterm elections as well.

The Fed raising rates doesn't indicate that we are in a recession. It indicates the opposite.

The Fed is trying to slow growth (which can induce a recession) to slow price/wage growth and inflation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean even if we aren’t technically in a recession, the Fed has made it their mission to put us in one

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The Fed raising rates doesn't indicate that we are in a recession. It indicates the opposite.

The Fed is trying to slow growth (which can induce a recession) to slow price/wage growth and inflation.

Flaming Liberal already made the point I was going to make. Unless the Fed pulls off a miracle (which I don't think they will), we're basically going into a recession because they're trying to "tame" inflation.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It should also be pointed out, these rates are still not near historical highs and were in fact fairly normal before 2007.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have several friends who have lost their jobs because their employers have seen a downturn in business, or are predicting one. Just an anecdote of course, but it's clear that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter whether the Biden administration says we're in a recession or not, because the reality on the ground is the reality that people experience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean even if we aren’t technically in a recession, the Fed has made it their mission to put us in one

Pretty much.

The interesting thing is that their "pessimistic" projections are more pessimistic in the short-term, but pretty optimistic in the longer-term. If they end up with only 4.4% unemployment and inflation down to 2.8% by 2023, then that is a pretty solid resolution.

The problem is that basically everyone (including the Fed) has been unable to really accurately predict inflation since the pandemic. So, who knows how accurate the bad or good projections will end up being.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Pretty much.

The interesting thing is that their "pessimistic" projections are more pessimistic in the short-term, but pretty optimistic in the longer-term. If they end up with only 4.4% unemployment and inflation down to 2.8% by 2023, then that is a pretty solid resolution.

The problem is that basically everyone (including the Fed) has been unable to really accurately predict inflation since the pandemic. So, who knows how accurate the bad or good projections will end up being.

Per the NY Times' live commentary feed:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/09/21/business/fed-interest-rates-inflation

quote:

Omair Sharif, founder of Inflation Insights, puts these economic projections into context. “If the Fed hit their 2023 unemployment rate projection of 4.4 percent then, all else equal, it would mean 1.235 million more unemployed people.”

That's still a lot of pain to start unleashing right around an election cycle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Per the NY Times' live commentary feed:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/09/21/business/fed-interest-rates-inflation

That's still a lot of pain to start unleashing right around an election cycle.

Yeah, unemployment going up is never a good thing in and of itself.

But, people were previously predicting unemployment above 5% to get inflation down to 3%.

So, 4.4% unemployment to get inflation down to 2.8% by 2023 is a much more optimistic scenario than people were predicting before.

The unemployment spike wouldn't really hit until the end of 2023/early 2024 (and would recover by the end of 2024) according to their projections, so it would be out of the "election cycle" for the midterms.

The problem is if they are off in their predictions and tilt into a full on recession with more unemployment/less inflation reduction than they project.

Nobody has a good track record of predicting inflation or employment post pandemic (everyone thought unemployment would be way worse and inflation would be lower), so who knows how the projections shake out in reality?

The FED is definitely leaning way hard on the "reduce inflation" part of the dual mandate vs. the "full employment" part, but they are gambling that - according to their projections - that employment will stay inside the sub-5% "full employment" range the entire time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 21, 2022

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A mild recession with a small increase in unemployment and a return of inflation to the numbers we'd expect would be better than a crash and hyperinflation, but that's always the problem with the Fed. We are never quite sure if the pain is worth it, since you can't measure the panic that didn't happen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tibalt posted:

A mild recession with a small increase in unemployment and a return of inflation to the numbers we'd expect would be better than a crash and hyperinflation, but that's always the problem with the Fed. We are never quite sure if the pain is worth it, since you can't measure the panic that didn't happen.

Hyperinflation was never a realistic danger.

The fed only has one hammer and everything looks like a nail.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, the correct thing to do would be balance the rate hikes with redistributive fiscal policy (removing money from the top ~20% and redistributing it to the bottom ~50%), but we have a dysfunctional government that won't do that. We've also decided that billionaires and millionaires are the only people allowed to have their taxes raised (and only sometimes) and only the very poor can get direct benefits (also, only sometimes).

The counterpoint is that for that fiscal stimulus to make sense and have the largest impact, then the government should be reducing its debt during boom times in order to have the space to do huge fiscal stimulus during down times. But, we don't do that either and generally just cut taxes during boom times. So, :shrug:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I feel like they only raise interest rates to give them room to cut them when there is an inevitable crash. I feel like it's been this way since the early 90s. I remember all the talk about having nothing left to cut during the previous crashes when they hit 0%.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I feel like they only raise interest rates to give them room to cut them when there is an inevitable crash. I feel like it's been this way since the early 90s. I remember all the talk about having nothing left to cut during the previous crashes when they hit 0%.

To be fair the fed only has those tools available to it. As Leon pointed out, the federal government could also restrict money flow as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

LorneReams posted:

That is definitely part of it too. There is no room for additional stimulus/loose money if you're already at 0%. Low rates forever isn't a good idea in general, even aside from the fact that it leaves you with nowhere to go when you want to actually juice the money supply. The Fed was always going to raise rates, but they were initially very slow about raising rates and didn't think inflation would stick around. Now, they are kind of heavily overcorrecting and raising rates fairly quickly.

The labor market has been weirdly strong and more resistant to inflation/interest rates/removal of fiscal stimulus than anyone predicted, so they are kind of taking a gamble that it will continue to be and will dull the impact of the faster increases. Could be a bad gamble, though! The Fed has historically been pretty good at predicting inflation and unemployment, but everyone (including the Fed) has been missing their predictions post-pandemic.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

LorneReams posted:

This is important. We've been at rock bottom interest rates since 2008 and it's led to a lot of monetary innovation from the Fed because their main tool to juice the economy has been maxed out. Now is a great time to raise rates for long-term health, while unemployment is low and inflation is higher than desired.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Morrow posted:

This is important. We've been at rock bottom interest rates since 2008 and it's led to a lot of monetary innovation from the Fed because their main tool to juice the economy has been maxed out. Now is a great time to raise rates for long-term health, while unemployment is low and inflation is higher than desired.

Yes. I don't think anyone on any side of the policy spectrum is against raising rates in principle. The question is how fast and how much. Some people are saying the Fed is going too fast and overcorrecting because they were too slow earlier.

Given how bad the predictions have been post-pandemic and the weirdness/"first time ever" events of the economy post-pandemic, there are a lot of things you can point to as evidence they are making a mistake or doing the right thing. But, everyone has been a bit off recently and getting it wrong (in either direction) has the potential to negatively impact millions of people. So, obviously a lot riding on it if they accidentally misjudge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They are 100% overcorrecting. The issues causing inflation are mostly out of the Fed’s control, and raising rates is only going to do so much to correct that. You are risking a stagflation spiral.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are 100% overcorrecting. The issues causing inflation are mostly out of the Fed’s control, and raising rates is only going to do so much to correct that. You are risking a stagflation spiral.

They're applying lessons from the 1970s and 1980s, which I guess is the best data set that they've got. Really scary stuff, if you think about it. Does anyone really know what they're doing?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Yes. Increasing the cost of borrowing works if your inflation is based on money being too readily available.

But we made money super readily available for a decade and inflation barely moved up.

So this both doesn't address the core driver of inflation(supply chain, energy issues, etc), and will make it more costly to borrow money.

At best it budges inflation by 1% or so.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Does anyone really know what they're doing?

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 21, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

Some more so than others, but not really.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is pretty much my view, but with the pedantic caveat of "they are probably overcorrecting and the risk of overcorrecting is worse than the risk of under-correcting for the people at the bottom 50% of incomes."

Given how there have been about 10 different "never before recorded" economic events since the pandemic, the fact that the labor market is far stronger than anyone expected, how sticky this inflation has been for the entire globe, and how off the predictions have been about unemployment and inflation by just about everyone, I don't know that you can really say they are 100% doing anything.

Being cautious could lead to higher inflation for longer than necessary, but it is probably the "better" option even if it is on average worse for most people because overcorrecting runs the risk of accidentally going off of a cliff.

If the choice is "everything is a little worse for longer than it needs to be" vs. "50/50 shot for either A) Things get better as fast as possible or B) We accidentally kick a few million people off of a cliff," then the first option is the one I would roll with. But, the Fed is rolling with "hit inflation almost as hard as possible, but risk the labor market" and nobody really has a definitive answer to how much they can push without going too far.

We're just in kind of uncharted waters and nobody has any real definitive idea of what to do. So, it's really a decision about prioritizing inflation vs. employment and then another sub-decision about how much you should gamble to prevent unnecessary suffering at the risk of accidentally creating a different kind of unnecessary suffering if you get it wrong.

Or in summary:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Good question to ask in pretty much any context, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Economists have never accurately predicted anything