Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nothing sums up the Republican ethos as Ted Cruz describing "being a gamer" as someone who buys all the micro-transactions and doesn't actually play the game.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539058659304546304?s=20&t=KzGb1rVL-8HfWbfJbTgiiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lmfao my man cruz is playing temple run 2 and spent 6000 in the first week of the game existing

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
"who's going to be the first candidate to be busted spending campaign funds on diablo immortal gems", a question that somehow got a lot more difficult after Duncan Hunter's resignation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Craig K posted:

"who's going to be the first candidate to be busted spending campaign funds on diablo immortal gems", a question that somehow got a lot more difficult after Duncan Hunter's resignation

It was to increase voter base man it's totally legit. I had many 13 year olds hanging with me in Tristram and I was explaining why voter ID laws should be federal law while helping them on their journey

They said I was " cool dude"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stay a while, and listen (to my stump speech)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Nothing sums up the Republican ethos as Ted Cruz describing "being a gamer" as someone who buys all the micro-transactions and doesn't actually play the game.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539058659304546304?s=20&t=KzGb1rVL-8HfWbfJbTgiiA

The rich in general, really.

Also his enjoyment coming not from the things themselves, but that he gets them easier than a poor person.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Ted Cruz is a whale lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ted Cruz has been so frequently compared to horrors of the deep seas that being exposed as merely a whale would be almost humanizing, had it not been that case that the deep sea comparisons were all Lovecraftian

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I bet he owns a star citizen ship

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I bet he owns a star citizen ship

He definitely bought a Idris.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1539405926905569284

to reiterate, the pigs absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% killed children

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Well that guy's gonna have some interesting nightmares for the rest of his life.

The things this country will put up with to keep it's dumb toys is kind of amazing. Can't even imagine the awe and horror our peer countries have when they read this poo poo.

It makes one wonder when or even if this all ends? Like how many third-graders do you have to Mozambique before Republicans relent. All of them?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 22, 2022

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

-Blackadder- posted:

It makes one wonder when or even if this all ends? Like how many third-graders do you have to Mozambique before Republicans relent. All of them?

In this, and many other such questions, the answer is "when the money runs out." Or, perhaps more accurately, "there is no bottom." As it stands now, mass shootings are a boon to the NRA because the conversations on gun control of any kind spur people to buy more guns and more ammunition under a kind of hosed up FOMO that they might not be able to later. Our version of capitalism creates a lot of perverse incentives for people to make little niche businesses in the wake of tragedy that make repeated tragedy a bit more ... likely? Lucrative? I'm not sure how to phrase it.

Guns are the most obvious example, but it also applies to preppers for natural disasters or terrorism, or even just like, novelty grifters. Like when they were selling commemorative pieces of the towers after 9/11.

I haven't yet seen anyone attempt to sell children's shirts with bullet holes (as in, from the scene of the crime), but it's the kind of thing that if someone were to do it, I imagine it would pretty quickly become a collectable thing that just happens. Though it is possible I'm being overly cynical in thinking that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1539405926905569284

to reiterate, the pigs absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% killed children

This is what happens when you try to be a good cop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Nevada Republicans are sending the absolutely worst people they can to the general election.

https://twitter.com/AaronDFordNV/status/1539010853789257729?s=20&t=SAFmOu7b5pUn68HDmK-YIg

quote:

Chattah will face current Democratic Attorney General Aaron Ford in the general election in November.

According to texts released by Sarah Ashton-Cirillo, a former friend, in January, in April 2021 Chattah had written to her about Ford, "This guy should be hanging from a loving crane."

She said later that the comment was "tongue-in-cheek" and had no racial overtones. Chattah, who immigrated to the United States from Israel at the age of 14, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in February, "When I say to my friends, 'I'm going to hang you from a crane,' I don't literally mean I'm going to hang you from a crane. ... I would never attribute a racial context to hanging from a crane. ... That is my culture. That's what is done to people in the Middle East, to traitors. And that's just part of my vernacular."

quote:

GOP voters nominated Jim Marchant for secretary of state, a position that would place him in charge of running the state's elections.

Marchant is a Donald Trump supporter who has pushed voter fraud lies and antisemitic conspiracy theories. In 2020, Marchant lost a House race and sued to overturn his loss, claiming fraud. His suit was thrown out by a Nevada county court district judge.

If elected in November, Marchant said, he would get rid of voting machines, early voting, and mail-in voting, and hire what he called ""our people" as poll workers.

quote:

Republican voters also picked right-wing extremist Michele Fiore as their nominee for state treasurer.

Fiore has pushed bigoted and false conspiracy theories, including that the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, was the fault of "the pharmaceutical companies that are giving these individuals pharmaceutical psychotropic drugs," claiming without evidence that the shooter was "on a lot of different medications from transgendering, so his mind was quite defective."

Fiore is a right-wing militia sympathizer and an anti-vaxxer who has falsely said that cancer is a "fungus" that can be flushed out of the body.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that guy's gonna have some interesting nightmares for the rest of his life.

The things this country will put up with to keep it's dumb toys is kind of amazing. Can't even imagine the awe and horror our peer countries have when they read this poo poo.

Honestly, the horror and awe has been replaced by resignation. The question is how many ways Republicans have to show what sort of monsters they are before those who aren't Republicans treat them like they should. It's all Sotomayor writ large, to touch on the earlier points.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Honestly, the horror and awe has been replaced by resignation. The question is how many ways Republicans have to show what sort of monsters they are before those who aren't Republicans treat them like they should. It's all Sotomayor writ large, to touch on the earlier points.

We've seen what happens when people start treating Republicans like they should

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/08/chris-murphy-protests-supreme-court-justices-homes/9697343002/

quote:

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., is calling for peace after abortion rights activists marched to the homes of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh and Chief Justice John Roberts in response to the leaked draft opinion that overturns Roe v. Wade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwO9IISkfs

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Decorum-whining happens. At least the protesters probably don't have abortion-ban wanting fascist friends who they still consider good people who engage in "just politics". Therein lies the potential for change.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Somehow youtube recced me a 30 minute long scene from some network cop show. Specifically a graphic 30 minute scene of a school shooting. With realistic depictions of dying kids, not network style "pow" *falls over dead*

Prolly the only on-screen violence that has ever phased me and more importantly, where the gently caress are we at that this was made? Christ on a cracker.

Focused on hero cops charging through the corridors rescuing kids and taking down the shooter, which, lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Biden is asking Congress to suspend the federal gas tax for 3 months (most likely dead in Congress) and to provide other forms of direct relief (almost definitely dead in Congress).

Since they are both likely dead in Congress, he is also asking states to suspend their state level gas taxes and provide "commensurate" direct relief through "consumer rebates, relief payments, or delaying planned tax and fee increases."

He says federal direct relief will cost about $10 billion and wants states to at least match that.

Unless Congress does actually authorize direct aid or suspend the gas tax, then this is effectively just asking states to spend more money. Some states might do that, but you probably aren't going to see a ton of movement in places where they haven't already been willing to do so.

His plan doesn't specify how Congress should make up the $10 billion that goes to the highway fund, so that is going to make it even less likely to pass. Democrats don't want to defund the transportation budget and Republicans don't want to raise revenue from anywhere else, so hard to see how they get 60 votes for that.

The White House is having a press conference with full details about the plan and a Q&A 3 PM today.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1539534047210266624

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 22, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Double posted somehow, despite the 10-second post timer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden is asking Congress to suspend the federal gas tax for 3 months (most likely dead in Congress) and to provide other forms of direct relief (almost definitely dead in Congress).

Since they are both likely dead in Congress, he is also asking states to suspend their state level gas taxes and provide "commensurate" direct relief through "delaying planned tax and fee increases, consumer rebates, or relief payments."

He says federal direct relief will cost about $10 billion and wants states to at least match that.

Unless Congress does actually authorize direct aid or suspend the gas tax, then this is effectively just asking states to spend more money. Some states might do that, but you probably aren't going to see a ton of movement in places where they haven't already been willing to do so.

His plan doesn't specify how Congress should make up the $10 billion that goes to the highway fund, so that is going to make it even less likely to pass. Democrats don't want to defund the transportation budget and Republicans don't want to raise revenue from anywhere else, so hard to see how they get 60 votes for that.

The White House is having a press conference with full details about the plan and a Q&A 3 PM today.

Incredibly easy for congress to find money for war. For the American people? ehhhhhhh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BonoMan posted:

Incredibly easy for congress to find money for war. For the American people? ehhhhhhh
Not only that, but they actually gave the DoD MORE than what Biden wanted in his budget

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A 3 month suspension on the gas tax means that it'd end not terribly long before the midterm elections. Seems a bit short-sighted if the effect of the tax suspension winds up being noticeable, which admittedly isn't something I'd count on without anything being done to prevent the prices at the pump from going up even higher.

(Not counting on this passing at all, mind)

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Somehow youtube recced me a 30 minute long scene from some network cop show. Specifically a graphic 30 minute scene of a school shooting. With realistic depictions of dying kids, not network style "pow" *falls over dead*

Prolly the only on-screen violence that has ever phased me and more importantly, where the gently caress are we at that this was made? Christ on a cracker.

Focused on hero cops charging through the corridors rescuing kids and taking down the shooter, which, lol.

What was it called? The Daily Wire has been heavily promoting something like that recently.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Srice posted:

A 3 month suspension on the gas tax means that it'd end not terribly long before the midterm elections. Seems a bit short-sighted if the effect of the tax suspension winds up being noticeable, which admittedly isn't something I'd count on without anything being done to prevent the prices at the pump from going up even higher.

(Not counting on this passing at all, mind)

This is going to turn into the student loan thing, where they'll cut the taxes, but not want the heat of increasing the again, so they'll keep pushing the increase back.

Edit: or if it needs to be done by congress, Republicans will cut the tax, then filibuster the extension, making democrats own the increase.

Dumb, boneheaded own goal, that also is more or less a republican policy: solving a problem by cutting taxes, which doesn't actually solve the problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The White House has apparently not told Congress about the details of this plan until today, so that will surely make them happy.

quote:

The official said the administration was "encouraged by the fact" that members of the House and Senate have already made similar proposals to what Biden will call for on Wednesday, but suggested the White House had yet to engage in depth with members of Congress on this topic -- saying "we expect to" engage with Congress.

According to several studies, between 65% and 72% of the suspended gas tax has been passed onto consumers when it has been done before.

State gas taxes vary, but if every state and the federal government suspended their taxes for 3 months, then it would reduce consumer prices by an average of between 33.54 cents per gallon and 37.15 cents per gallon for 3 months.

~35 cents isn't nothing, but it's not enormous. And you need a lot of things to go right just to get that ~35 cents per gallon.

The impact of direct aid and whatever his plan about increasing refinery capacity is harder to quantify and will most likely be close to 0 in both cases anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this one of those "cognitive disconnect" things like where people were posting pictures of bare store shelves from the start of the pandemic saying "This is what stores would look like under Communism" and being very confuses when people posted that's literally stores under Capitalism at that time?

"This is what mass shootings would look like if police were defunded!" "That's literally what happened a month ago."?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FDA seems to be making a lot of big moves against tobacco products this week.

The FDA just made a surprise announcement that Juul will have to remove all of its products from the U.S. market effective immediately.

Juul was famous for being responsible for the rise of tobacco use in youth for the first time in 40 years in 2018. They are small single-use cartridges with very high nicotine content (a single pod has roughly as much nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes/200 cigarette puffs) and fruity flavors.

Juul had been in legal limbo for a while after the FDA banned fruity flavoring in products with high levels of nicotine and the FDA started a 4-year review of the impact of Juul on teen tobacco use.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1539602220685135875

quote:

FDA to Order Juul E-Cigarettes off U.S. Market

The Food and Drug Administration is preparing to order Juul Labs Inc. to take its e-cigarettes off the U.S. market, according to people familiar with the matter.

The FDA could announce its decision as early as Wednesday, the people said. The marketing denial order would follow a nearly two-year review of data presented by the vaping company, which sought authorization for its tobacco- and menthol-flavored products to stay on the U.S. market.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
gently caress yeah, now that’s what I’m talking about, git’em Califf (in practice is be surprised if this isn’t stayed via a legal challenge; Altria and its other tobacco company shareholders have little incentive to do otherwise)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
former Florida candidate for Governor Andrew Gillum was indicted today for campaign fraud.

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1539618246147579905

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

former Florida candidate for Governor Andrew Gillum was indicted today for campaign fraud.

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1539618246147579905

Hopefully, it is for something exciting like the meth or the hookers that his friend ordered to just "hang out" in their hotel room.

But, it is probably something boring like buying a car or paying his mortgage.

Speaking of Florida Governors, DeSantis has moved from "very likely to run" to "definitely running."

He's not asking for Trump's endorsement and doesn't want him to come campaign for his re-election.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1539594397179846657

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Since they are both likely dead in Congress, he is also asking states to suspend their state level gas taxes and provide "commensurate" direct relief through "consumer rebates, relief payments, or delaying planned tax and fee increases."

Even though this is how it's supposed to work here in the U.S. it's always seemed weird and inefficient that there wasn't more coordination between federal and state government strategy and operations. Every time Biden "talks to the states" about something it always comes off like he's sticking his head out the window of his house and yelling to his neighbors across the street, "Hey you guys, whaddya think of this?" Like maybe get people together and have a meeting?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

As suspected, gas tax suspension is already likely dead before they even made the official announcement of the plan today at 3 pm.

Additional direct aid almost assuredly dead as well.

That basically leaves:

- Lower some tariffs and hope that the generally lower cost of imports translates into some lower inflation.
- Ask states to provide direct aid or suspend their gas tax.
- Get American refineries to increase production.

As the only parts of the plan that might still happen.

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1539628314796724229

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

This might be a stupid question (and is not a demand or policy statement) but if (part of) the problem is the gas companies aren't making enough gas so the gas stations have to charge more, could the President decide that nobody being able to drive to work or the grocery store is an emergency and use the Defense Powers Act (I think is the name) to like make them make more? Like they did with baby formula earlier this year I think?

Seems like the Actual President should (not necessarily can in the current system) do more than ask nicely idk.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

projecthalaxy posted:

This might be a stupid question (and is not a demand or policy statement) but if (part of) the problem is the gas companies aren't making enough gas so the gas stations have to charge more, could the President decide that nobody being able to drive to work or the grocery store is an emergency and use the Defense Powers Act (I think is the name) to like make them make more? Like they did with baby formula earlier this year I think?

Seems like the Actual President should (not necessarily can in the current system) do more than ask nicely idk.

American refineries are below capacity, but not by much, and American refineries also account for a very small amount of the world's oil refining.

The problem isn't that they are refining too little. It's that there is too little crude oil available for cheap to meet the demand of the entire world. A lot of the "easy" oil in the world has already been extracted. New sources of oil require much more time and expense to extract.

Plus, the ~3 billion people of India, China, and parts of Africa that have historically used far less oil and gas per capita than other countries are all growing and needing larger amounts of energy.

It's basically a global problem and unless we discover a magic source of cheap and easily extractable oil or transition to a new energy source that is as effective and cheaper than oil, then there isn't much anyone can do about it in the short to medium term.

More than half of global inflation is related to energy costs, the next largest chunk is supply chain problems, and then the next largest chunk is individual fiscal/monetary policies in each country. Individual countries have no real control over the first two.

The U.K. inflation rate is 9.1%.
The U.S. inflation rate is 8.7%
The average E.U. inflation rate is 8.1%
Some countries in central Africa and Latin America have 15+% inflation rates.

They can fiddle around with spending and monetary policy to move it a bit, but most of it is out of their control and the result of not transitioning away from oil and then having demand for oil explode and supply for oil decrease every year since 2006.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Speaking of Florida Governors, DeSantis has moved from "very likely to run" to "definitely running."

He's not asking for Trump's endorsement and doesn't want him to come campaign for his re-election.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1539594397179846657

Even fox is saying trumps in trouble.

I think everyone is about to hang trump out to try and stump for DeSantis for president. The pivot is already under way. Trump won't take it lying down.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I see. I was just asking because you put

-Get American refineries to up production

As one of your remaining levers and I know there was that announcement that the President was bringing the heads of all the gas companies to the white house to discuss how they're making such profit when Americans are suffering and I wasn't sure if there was a way he could pull the "I am no longer asking" on them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like we finally hit the Peak Oil we’ve been worrying about for the last couple of decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Meatball posted:

Even fox is saying trumps in trouble.

I think everyone is about to hang trump out to try and stump for DeSantis for president. The pivot is already under way. Trump won't take it lying down.

I don't know if there is a real pivot, but DeSantis probably realizes that this is his moment and he probably won't be a front runner in 6 years when he has been out of office 2 years. DeSantis wants to advantage himself and himself seem like the best option, but I don't know if that represents a real actual pivot among grassroots and institutional support for Trump.