Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

picking up on a recent post in the old thread

i've seen a fair number of pundits lay the current conditions on the fed for choosing to emphasize the unemployment portion of their mandate a few years back, and for easy money policies in response to the '08 and '20 crises. there had been a movement by progressive economists in the wake of the drawn-out recovery and wage stagnation following '08 calling for more intervention on behalf of the unemployed and low wage earners, and i have a feeling that's going to be smothered for another generation

Larry Summers, in particular, has been lusting for the poor to suffer at least since he was consulted on student loan forgiveness, where he said he was against it because it would lead to loan-havers having too much money to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Everyone I know has told me that the inflation is because Biden gave people $1400 and heaped lavish unemployment benefits on them during peak Covid.

How come no one I know has suggested that maybe the recent housing and stock market bubbles that created zillions of dollars in fake wealth out of nothing has something to do with it.

“The problem is poor people being wastrels” is a fiction as old as time to make sure the rich get richer. Hell, during the last gilded age the likes of Carnegie said his wealth was a social good because he would spend it on libraries and schools instead of being frittered away by the poor.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most of the climate change money goes to subsidies for green power generation, new construction, and research; but here's a list of some of the consumer rebates you can get personally/directly.

Some of them are automatic and don't require you to do anything, but are generally very small benefits. A few of them are very specific and require you to actively do something, but could potentially be very large (although they obviously don't benefit you at all if you don't want that specific thing).

Most of these are available through 2029.

The large, but specific, rebates are:

1) The big obvious one is the $7,500 discount on a new electric vehicle purchase or $4,000 on a used electric vehicle purchase.

2) There's a lot of up-front rebates for different home energy upgrades. There's a fixed amount of money for these ($4.5 billion), so they only last as long as the money is still there.

They also approved loans for solar programs that structure the up-front installation costs so that you pay nothing up front and your energy company will cover all the upfront installation costs, but you have to agree to sell a portion of the energy you generate with your solar panels to your local power company for X years to pay them back.

The most generous/significant rebates are for energy-efficient electric appliances to replace gas-powered appliances. You can get some of them covered up to 100% if your household makes less than ~$55k and 50% covered if you make more.

Aww man, none of the big ones are for renters.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, I am familiar with cpt_obvious's body of work, but I am legitimately curious as to what they (or anyone else in the thread, really) would think an effective measure to prevent that specific gouging would look like.

I'm late due to an FBI raid.

My understanding is that the largest long-term headwind for the purchase of EVs is not the cost of the car, which was expected to drop to parity with ICE cars by ~2025 anyway, but the paucity of places to charge and the limited range. Most EVs are something like 250 miles range, whereas buyers want 330 miles. Apparently we can't just add more batteries to the cars because of the increased cost and the increased weight. That line of reasoning would suggest the best way to prevent price gouging on EVs as a result of a subsidy would be to not offer that subsidy and instead build charging stations all over. $4.5 billion would buy a lot of charging stations. Maybe that is also in the bill, I dunno, I checked out when I found out it wasn't going to do anything for me or require anything of me.