Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Grouchio posted:

On account of my mental health and/or blood pressure, can I just ignore whatever poo poo's spewed out of Texas for the rest of the year? I have a feeling this will bite Texan Chuds later.

Lol

“Surely, this’ll alienate the moderate Republicans!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Actually do pay attention to the news. Maybe a decade ago you were overworking yourself into a tizzy over not much when it was just Obama getting cucked nonstop but now the fascism is real and it’s happening.

Republicans had three decades of literal fear mongering broadcasted into their brains, and it seemed to work out well for them. And unlike them, we actually have real things to worry about! We don’t have to monger our fears!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 21, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m not sure what I think about swimming and trans athletics.

Here’s an example. A good d 1 men’s 500 is pushing 4:05 -4:10 the women are about thirty seconds behind like 4:30 to 4:40 in the finals. That’s a large difference, like 50 yards ahead. A throughly mediocre men’s swimmer, like me for example when I was competing might be in that 4:40 range. Hell I remember early high school boys that were down to 4:40 at states.

Anyway the point, solid persistent 30 second difference between the top men and top women in the 500. Transition changed her (Lia Thomas’ ) 500 by only 15 seconds.

She was a good swimmer before transition and after. The argument is that puberty as man confers a permanent advantage. They’re basing that on the divergence than occurs in boys vs girls times at puberty. They’re going to be able to look at huge amounts of data to reach and support that conclusion.

So it’s two things at odds.

Trans women are women and we should treat them as such in society.

Transwomen at the elite level in swimming probably do have a real and significant advantage even after hormone levels are made equal.

I feel like there has to be some other solution than, she can’t compete. But I’ll be damned if I can think of anything that isn’t extremely problematic in either direction. It’s also going to be interesting to see when we get transwomen who transitioned before puberty competing at the elite level in swimming. It’s a loving mess.

How about you let her perform because who gives a gently caress. It’s a sport. Let them have the advantage. Sports is about seeing people who were born in the right place with the right genetic lottery ticket and what they’re able to achieve, so why draw a line when it comes to someone who transitioned?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 23, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Lots of cis women who swim competitively do.
Why prioritize their feelings over trans athletes?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Rigel posted:

Why have women's divisions? Just make it open and eliminate men's and women's sports.
:hmmyes:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Most combat sports, though there are few examples in practice due to other factors, allow you to fight after three years of hormone therapy. Swimming likely would require less time.

The real answer is that gendered classes were a good short hand for the past but we can be more exact in our measurements and how we build classes in sports these days if we try.

Edit: and really let's be honest gendered classes in a lot of sports are so the girls don't beat the boys. Makes sense in some but lmao in a lot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The problem with moving to one of the blue states where you don't have to worry about these rulings (like here in MA) is it costs a loving arm and a leg to live in most of them.
Yup. But it’s only going to become more expensive over time and there really aren’t any other options. Prester John ain’t coming.

So uh, move while you can. You’ll only regret it as the purple states become red and the red states become hellworlds.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Another problem is that if all the blue voters move to the bluest states, the rest of the states get redder, turning the Senate redder and giving the conservatives more power on the national stage.

This will happen anyways as the Republicans are dismantling voting rights in the red states.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

"My enemies are all stupid even though they're kicking my rear end at every turn and have only continued to grow more powerful" is questionable analysis. If it were me I would start from the assumption that my powerful enemies were smart

indeed, i think a big critical flaw we had was underestimating the republicans.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

What is Biden saying he'll do if the midterms turn out well for the Democrats? Not what people say he could possibly do, but what is he saying that he will do? Explicitly?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

oh, vague implications

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They’re actively enabling the GOP by blocking and preventing every legal avenue to meaningfully challenging the GOPs strategy. They are effectively in league with the GOP because both groups represent capital. Refusing to support them means they will be less able to block and suppress progressives.
The GOP are actively dismantling democracy. You won’t be able to vote anybody in the next time the GOP take control.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

do the democrats plan to do anything to prevent this, or does your plan require that you win every election from now until the end of America as a concept
Got a better idea?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Lol Comey is living a chill life and is not feeling any guilt whatsoever.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But it is inevitable that the Republicans will retake control. America is a two party system, control moves back and forth between the parties naturally. And the Republicans have stacked the courts so that even while the Democrats are in control, the Republicans grow more powerful and make it harder for Democrats to win.

If you accept that the next time Republicans take control will be the end of American democracy, then logically you must also accept that American democracy will end sometime within this decade.
Maybe this decade, maybe next. The longer it can be delayed, the more opportunity of a changing factor can occur (however small of a chance) and the longer the marginalized class can prepare for the inevitable. Better tomorrow than today.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

If the GOP are going to dismantle the “democracy” we have next time they win perhaps the President I voted for could do something to reverse that? The people you think I should vote for again do not seem to think the situation is very serious, which is why I wouldn’t vote for them again.
Biden tried to pass voting rights reform, it didn’t pass the Senate.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s a good step but it’s totally insufficient given that the 6-3 court will bulldoze civil rights and overturn any remotely close (or maybe not even close) election. The sheer inaction and complacency at this point from Biden is worse than nothing. They should at least be trying to impeach ACB or Kavanaugh. Preemptive condemnation of imaginary pro choice violence as the first action of the Biden administration when this came out is beyond the pale, and they clearly haven’t thought it about it much since.

At least Trump was so proud of being an rear end in a top hat that it inspired liberals to get out and do poo poo.
Republicans were pushing the “Biden is trying to steal future elections!” At the time and Dems are cowards, so it’s a dropped issue. I don’t know how Biden could push through any protections otherwise.

Maybe, hopefully they’ll make another shot at it after the 1/6th committee since that narrative is now at it’s weakest. But, y’know, Dems are cowards.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The point of bringing up the dismantling of democracy is that a lot of folks here are seemingly delusional about their options after the Republicans take control again.

No, the destruction of the Democratic Party isn’t going to lead to a more progressive party that’ll correct our losses and then some. You won’t even get to participate electorally anymore. Purple states that’ll switch red will stay red from here on out. The voter suppression laws have been very successful so far, with Wisconsin’s handing the state over to Trump in 2016. People are going to be dismayed at how effective the ones recently passed in Texas and Florida will be. And this is the route the Republicans are going forward with.

MAYBE, if the midterms are an upset, there is a minute chance they will look at the 1/6th committee event and think the route is bad optics and walk it back for a year or two and maybe something can be done about it then. But lol, that’s a cope thought.

Sorry, the country sucks and we’re on a trajectory towards some real bad poo poo. Please don’t participate in the acceleration of the bad poo poo.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 27, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

some plague rats posted:

How, exactly? I mean if you've got any ideas I'd love to hear them
Find out if leaving the country is an option for themselves, and if not then they should arm themselves (as a means of self defense) and organize with their local community.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Kalit posted:

For the [figuratively] millionth time, arming yourself for "self defense" is counter productive. Please read through these summaries/studies to find out why advocating for people to arm themselves for this reason is not smart: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Cool statistics for a good country and not one where the state works with militias to murder you and praise the murderers like with Rittenhouse.

An unarmed population is 1000% easier to control than an armed one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

some plague rats posted:

I mean... at what point are you, personally, going to start shooting cops? What's your line in the sand? Not a gotcha, just interested how exactly you figure this population control is going to work
Nice fedpost bro, where’s your wire?

No, don’t go running around killing police.

Guns in this circumstance are a deterrent. Cops and Militias are cowards. Militias are larpers who will not engage if there any chance of real combat and Cops become way more weary to enact their authority if the community is organized and armed. Look at the black communities police occupied during the war on drugs.

Which trans person would be easier to victimize in their own home? One that is unarmed and isolated or one that is part of a neighborhood community that is known to be armed?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Isn't the whole "leave the country" thing just unbelievably privileged nonsense and completely out of the possible reach of the people who are actually going to be effected by this? Remember when Bush won and all the rich white libs were about to move to Canada, and we all dismissed them as idiots, and did any of them actually do it? What's different this time around?
If people who are targeted by the alt-right are capable of immigrating somewhere else, then they should. And the morally good thing to do is encourage them to do it. If you are saying that we should discourage it because those who can are “privileged” then you are as evil as the alt-right, who enjoys it when gay people suffer.

Kalit posted:

.....are you trying to make the claim that an armed populace could put up a theoretical fight against the government? If so, I think you should look up the types of weaponry that the government possesses.

If you need a [tiny] concrete example of how useless guns are in that scenario, look at what the government did to MOVE.
Lol no, I’m not advocating for braveheart and we’ll never see a braveheart. This is about organizing and self defense, so we do not have a future where you are politely pulled out your house to be lobotomized because you googled “am I trans”. At least make it harder for the state to do that.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Kalit posted:

Easily, the one that has a gun in their home: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M21-3762

E: To be fair, we can even look at the higher rates of violence against LGBT people overall. Based upon this study:

I am far from a statistics expert, but I'll give it a shot. Anyone who knows more about it, please correct me. There's definitely assumptions here, but hopefully it's just noise.

So we have a 2.5x increase of violence against LGBT people from stranger. And a 2x increase homicide rate of people with guns in their homes. So only if the increase of violence from strangers is >80% ish homicides occurring in these armed communities, would it even out the increased homicide threat of the above study.

E2: Clarified my summary.
once again, cool statistics for a good country and not one where the police will arrest your parents because you’re a boy that wore a dress

take these statistics and make your disarmament plea to the black panthers, or hell, any black community under police occupation(now and in the past), or any insurgent group who’s country was invaded (not advocating for an insurgency here, not what this argument is about, don’t fedpost.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 27, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

can we please have AOC? 😞

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

some plague rats posted:

How did that work out for them exactly? What happened to Huey, and Malcolm, and Stokely, and Assata, and Mumia, and how many of the rest of the new black Panthers...?
You’re literally just gloating about black death now. I mean gently caress, stokley died of prostate cancer. Yes, please arm yourselves so you can too die of butt cancer than by the state.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

some plague rats posted:

The claim was that "Cops become way more weary to enact their authority if the community is organized and armed. Look at the black communities police occupied during the war on drugs." and then you look at said communities and they got murdered and imprisoned at higher rates than the general population who WEREN'T armed and organized. It seems wild to claim cops are "weary to enact their authority" when the people you're holding up as an example got crushed into dust by the feds?
yes, they had to get crushed by the federal government instead of the cops. Which is a better outcome than getting crushed by the cops.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

That Kamala Harris interview is worse than I thought. She is absolutely terrified of calling out the Republicans.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Basically transphobic scaremongering has done it's job.

yup, thanks goons who were in support of this. in a world growing increasingly fascist, you helped accelerate things.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm legit interested in what made Manchin turn around on the bill and have him come out and ask for more of the things that will actually help people. This is incredibly out of the character he's portrayed for the past two years.

Maybe Schumer finally got sick of his bullshit and threatened his chairs, or decided to put the screws into his daughters company. Or maybe Manchin finally saw what people were saying about him being the sole person blocking the climate provisions. Maybe his covid diagnosis scared him regarding his own mortality and he didn't want to be remembered as a giant piece of poo poo that hosed over the world.

Or maybe this is all a game to him so he can get more news time and have everyone fawning over what he's gonna say next.

I'm pleasantly surprised that he now claims to support it, but I'll only believe it will pass once Biden signs the drat thing.
He’s gonna run.

Manchin 2024.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

who

caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

I don't give a gently caress about how she's going to be judged at the pearly gates, all I know is that she had shown herself to be more concerned with matters of sophistry than matters of preserving the life of the vulnerable

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

the stock buyback tax seems like a better bigger deal than raising the carried interest imo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

oh, so trump forced the raid by not handing over borrowed material? hmm

the head of the fbi is trump appointed?

happened right before the primaries?

republicans all have canned dialogue saying this is an staged attack from the left and now republican voters need to vote red no matter who?

y’all sure we ain’t being comeyed right now?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 9, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

how am i suppose to defend myself against ghosts now

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

somebody please commission ben garrison to draw a political cartoon of a tiny bernie sanders controlling joe biden by the hair ala ratatouille

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"I want these boxes to look at for my own amusement/as keepsake treasures of my victory"

"No. You have to give them back."

"Ah well I can use these as part of my strategy of looking like a victim, and employ every sleazy landlord legal strategy I can think of to keep them anyway, since my legal team is down to similar moron scumbags anyway"
p.much

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Has anyone considered that maybe colleges are somewhat woefully constructed to teach much of anything?

As much as I want people to have a well rounded education and background, it doesn't actually work out that way. I dunno if it's all ultra remedial level learning or if it's just never retained, but honestly, how many people can say that the most well educated people they know are also the best informed? Particularly outside of their field? I know plenty of people with anywhere from a master's to a doctorate, and I know some of their schools had significant general education requirements, but that doesn't mean they know anything about anything.

And it boils down to this: learning isn't some one-and-done venture that happens when you're young. Learning is a lifelong thing that you basically have to keep doing in order to actually have anything more than the thinnest veneer of understanding.

Not sure how to apply that concept to school structure. I believe everyone should have easy, cheap access to good schooling, but in the end, I doubt it makes a huge difference. The big thing is, and always has been, about arbitrary employment gates.

The “well roundedness” is just a grift to get students to pay for classes they’ll never need.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's just doing the intellectually lazy thing of saying, "Everyone else is intellectually lazy because they just follow their ideology/party regardless of the situation. I am an independent thinker because I make my decisions by doing the opposite of those ideologies/parties. Therefore, one end is the far left and the other is the far right and I will always be between them."

Usually, you do that in order to try and draw in non-political people who think like that or to show you are not a partisan if you are running in an election where your party has very low approval. For Yang, I think he just legitimately believes that this is his only remaining path in politics and buys into his own dumb marketing.

This isn't going to make him any money, it isn't going to help him politically, and it isn't making people adopt his ideas (because there are none!), so the only reason he could be doing this is if he is high on his own supply.
I disagree, I think embarrassing himself like this does actually help his career. It keeps his name in our heads and gets him on TV. Do that enough and somehow that’ll legitimize you enough to get in on the sweeter grifts. American politics y’all.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking back, my personal blindspot was thinking that the debates mattered even slightly, and that HRC had "won" them at all. I blame leftover Sorkin nostalgia for the idea that you can achieve political goals by being a debate club nerd

the debates did matter, but trump won them all.

I think the blindspot we had was underestimating the republicans. thinking that they all arrived at supporting bad actors and policy out of some sort of misunderstanding, instead of just being ontologically evil and lying about it.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 11, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Whomever you think won debates won the debates. There's no objective measure.

That's why they're pointless.
how did you think trump won the primaries

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

and where did he start throwing red meat and made a name for himself?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Trump after the first debate had a giant spike and the rest of the Republicans nosedived. Debates do matter. That’s why the Republicans don’t want to do them anymore.

The blindspot was 100% buying the lie that “moderate” republicans weren’t going to vote for Trump, and the Democrats putting their energy in trying to flip red states instead while ignoring the swing states. Hillary never campaigned in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Lmao.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

And then Liberals tried to excuse that as “Well there’s economic anxiety and the moderates didn’t believe Trump was going to hurt everybody.”

And then Trump hurt everybody for four years and they voted for him again.