Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The most important election was 2016. We just saw why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

whiskey patrol posted:

Who's job is it to stop republicans winning? Who controls all three federally elected branches now? That would be the democrats who have refused to wield power when they have it to prevent these outcomes. Seems there's more to this than just republicans winning elections. Dems don't even have a plan of resistance now.

The Republicans control the judiciary. They were able to do this because they won the election in 2016.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The GOP seems to have done an excellent job juggling God and Mammon actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FizFashizzle posted:

Over 65 crowd are the most likely to have seen a parent suffer cognitive decline and know it when they see it.

You'd think that would should in "mental acuity" instead if it was that specifically.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I actually don't know anyone who hasn't seen or kept up with the hearings, left right or center, politically interested or not. Turns out people give a poo poo, at least to find out what happened.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My dude, surely you must know that calling Princeton University and the climate model used by the U.N. and every major climate group - that has existed for over a decade the "ExxonMobil PR department" is just wildly wrong. If you have at least been following the last page. If anything, they are the Hewlett Foundation and "De-carobinzation project at the DOE" PR group.

I knew Big Chocolate was behind this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah I can’t imagine being the poor sap who believes Trump or any politicians that break laws to further the march towards fascism will face consequences ANY DAY NOW.

It must be a miserable experience.

Meanwhile the reality is this situation is more likely to move things closer to when America goes full fascism. When republicans take the house and (likely) the senate, there will be media spectacle hearings over this and Biden is 100% getting impeached at the very least. This is just the beginning and it’s going to be a nihilist’s laugh-a-thon.

I've noticed for a while the common refrain on the left to do nothing when fascists act, otherwise they might act more. It's interesting to hear "don't resist let them do what they want" as a strategy to beat them, but it seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation to me with that framing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That isn’t what I said. Just because something will embolden fascists doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. If means it shouldn’t be half assed. But if there are 2 things liberals are great at: it’s attacking the left and delivering half assed measures that will eventually see the boot stomp on their faces. Example: praising a climate bill that does little for the climate but is a give alway to businesses and the oil, gas, and coal industries. The correct response to lovely half measure should always: “….and what else?”

You said that all it would do is hasten fascism's inevitable victory in America and give them ammo and empower once they win. You neglected to ask that correct question as well. So, if that's all acting against them does, in your framing of this raid and investigation and Reality, should it be done, or should we step aside?

Seems like a framing that encourages inaction to me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm starting to see where you're coming from with that framing VBC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BRJurgis posted:

I briefly went to college for computers (before I briefly went for something else before quitting) and I'm not sure I've ever had to think about what I learned. The "little bit of knowledge" I spent that time and money on would have been necessary for a career in computers, but it's only value to me was affirming I'd rather dig holes than fiddle with tech for a living. I haven't touched a laptop or desktop in months. I do literally dig holes for a living of course (among other far-from-computer tasks).

I don't want to become a gimmick, but personally I feel theres somehow less value in learning how to operate atop a pile of products and technology in these days. I can't imagine how something like programming could be nearly as useful to the average person as, say, philosophy. But which one is focused on jobs, productivity, money?

If we're talking knowledge for knowledges sake, anything computers (beyond the most basic understanding of navigating Operating Systems or the internet) wouldn't be topping the list in my opinion and experience.

I actually had to take higher level philosophy courses as part of my BS in Computer Science. Structured arguments and common logical fallacies are very important for computers (but not posting, obviously) as it turns out! I also had a course on circuitry and wiring. At least one class was in how operating systems actually operate too, and another was in how to put one together and what things in it do (this I have never used, because it taught me I'll just gently caress it up somehow no matter how easy it is lmao).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What else were they investigating about that? It's been a decade

Did Curt burn more money in the meantime?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MLSM posted:

Like, we even took in top Nazis from the Third Reich in Operation Paperclip to help us accomplish this!

Are there really people still shocked to learn that the US and USSR got some nazis for their programs? I learned that in fifth grade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So are "special masters" common things and if so why is this only the second time I've heard it come up ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morrow posted:

Netflix Space Force was less ridiculous: spaceman only seems corny when you forget they went with guardian for the real thing.

Have they succeeded in raiding the Vault of Glass yet or are they still stuck at the maze